01. They Escaped The Weight Of Darkness
02. Into The Painted Grey
03. The Watcher's Monolith
04. Black Lake Niðstång
05. Ghosts Of The Midwinter Fires
06. To Drown
07. Nihil Totem [tour edition vinyl bonus]
08. The Weight Of Darkness [tour edition vinyl bonus]

Like remembering a dream, the opening minutes of this album serenade us with a haunting cello solo. The sound of a nearby forest stream provides a backdrop for this melody; it's a familiar yet distant setting. Have I been here before? Just as the dream becomes clearer and you reach that part of your memory that hides it, the crushing guitars break open the door and all hope is lost.

Agalloch once again accosts us with their inescapable heavy atmosphere. You will be brought to this place and made to listen, to feel. Musically, we're treated to a barrage of blast beats and intense cymbal work layered with dark melody and John Haughm's vocal attack (often almost black metal style vocals with excellent diction: nearly every lyric is understandable). If you expected a crushing, moody, intense, epic journey, then you guessed right. Sometimes the speed pushes and pulls us along this rough, forested path, other times we're staggering slowly through acoustic instrumentation and whispered vocals. Cold guitars lend their icy melody throughout.

Since the beginning, Agalloch has created a sound that is uniquely their own. Though they straddle many genres (bits of folk, black, doom, gothic, ambient) they are none of these and all of these. Fans from across the spectrum find a favourite ingredient in Agalloch and are uncontrollably drawn to the rest. Marrow of the Spirit seems to draw bits more from black and doom metal at times than some of their previous albums, but fans of their folk and ambient side will not be disappointed, there's plenty for everyone. And it's all in the atmosphere: despite the speedy drum work, you can soak up this album in front of a fire on a rainy night, if you so desire, or let the crushing intensity in with a more physical gesture, headbanging options included. There is no wrong way to let this music overtake you.

The album closes with "To Drown," a slower tempo track that seems to lead us on an endless death march. Relentless rhythm and those freezing cold guitars lead this mesmerizing 10-minute instrumental closer. In the last minute, the assault ends and it seems we've been led to the ocean. It is here that we are gently laid to rest, only to crave the journey once more.

Written on 08.12.2010 by Susan appreciates quality metal regardless of sub-genre. Metal Storm Staff since 2006.

Twitter: @HeavyMetalSusan

Comments page 3 / 4

Comments: 95   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 819 users
24.12.2010 - 21:14
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Well that's clearly nonsense. The most relevant and logical comparison of a band's work is with its previous records which serve as a benchmark of their quality. If you're disappointed by a record because it's not as good as the one that came before it then there's usually a reason for that. It's all well and good saying that Agalloch put out quality records but if you aren't willing to measure it up with what they can do at their best then you're being a bit blind and completely devoid of sense as you'd put it.
24.12.2010 - 23:40
Rating: 8
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by [user id=4365] on 24.12.2010 at 21:14

*rant response*

I believe a +1 is in order here.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
24.12.2010 - 23:44
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.12.2010 at 23:40

*rant response*

Ooh that gives me about 2 in total. I wonder if that's enough for that lump of coal I was gonna give to my family for xmas.
24.12.2010 - 23:46
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by [user id=4365] on 24.12.2010 at 23:44

Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.12.2010 at 23:40

*rant response*

Ooh that gives me about 2 in total. I wonder if that's enough for that lump of coal I was gonna give to my family for xmas.

No need to give them coal - just give them this album. (Oh snap!)?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
24.12.2010 - 23:49
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.12.2010 at 23:46

But after burning it all would be left would be ashes... against the grain.

There's a joke in there if you dig deep enough and have seldom experienced humour.
24.12.2010 - 23:52
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by [user id=4365] on 24.12.2010 at 23:49

Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.12.2010 at 23:46

But after burning it all would be left would be ashes... against the grain.

There's a joke in there if you dig deep enough and have seldom experienced humour.

The effort to dig that deep turned out to be too much for my extraordinary level of incompetence. One day I vow to experience this phenomenon you refer to as "humor".
----
25.12.2010 - 02:17
Susan
Smeghead
Elite

Well that's clearly nonsense. The most relevant and logical comparison of a band's work is with its previous records which serve as a benchmark of their quality. If you're disappointed by a record because it's not as good as the one that came before it then there's usually a reason for that. It's all well and good saying that Agalloch put out quality records but if you aren't willing to measure it up with what they can do at their best then you're being a bit blind and completely devoid of sense as you'd put it.

Ok, I get that, and it's a totally valid point. Even if an album is good, but you know the band can do better, then how good is it really? I don't usually like comparing albums very often but this is a reason I'll remember.

It works both ways, though. It's just as blind to not be able to hear the beauty in a lesser album simply because it's lesser. What if it's almost as good, but comes up just short... or if it's miles away from a previous effort? Think of some of your favourite bands who have released multiple albums, maybe 8 or 10 album. If you put those albums in order of preference then is the 6th or 7th album not worth listening to simply because the others are better? No. If they're good then they're good and the others are just better.

Conundrum.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
25.12.2010 - 02:37
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I don't think Troy (and certainly not myself) was suggesting that there's only certain configurations of quality within a band's discography, as in the least competent album has to be considered totally unworthy and unlistenable, even if it's decent. Of course a band could have a back catalogue of exceptional releases but you'd still be able to find one that's slightly weaker than the rest.

So I'm not saying disregard a record because it's not a band's best, I just mean it can still be used to identify what makes it inferior to another record and what it is about the other record that makes it shine it's just a handy reference point and of course albums can be appreciated fully if there are better ones out there by the same outfit! In Troy's case he was simply stating that he didn't enjoy this as much as the other ones, I was just nagging at that other guy who moaned at Troy for daring to compare albums within a band's history. Waffle waffle etc. =]
25.12.2010 - 08:31
Adarsh
Absolutely brilliant album,neat review. Black Lake Nidstung is one of the most epic tracks of theirs ever,this album though black metal than the previous ones,is one hell of a trip. They've done it again and will continue to do it.
----
What we need is hate. From it out ideas are born.
25.12.2010 - 21:59
Rating: 9
gattz

Well that's clearly nonsense. The most relevant and logical comparison of a band's work is with its previous records which serve as a benchmark of their quality.

I was merely stating that art isn't made to be compared to previous works, but to be enjoyed for what it is. I'm of the opinion that months of thought and hard work on Agalloch's part solely for the purpose of delivering something unique and great for us fans deserves more than blunt depreciation because you liked what they did before better.
25.12.2010 - 23:52
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by gattz on 25.12.2010 at 21:59

I was merely stating that art isn't made to be compared to previous works, but to be enjoyed for what it is. I'm of the opinion that months of thought and hard work on Agalloch's part solely for the purpose of delivering something unique and great for us fans deserves more than blunt depreciation because you liked what they did before better.

Forgive me but that strikes me as just an eloquent fanboy's way of saying "Agalloch are so amazing that they need not be compared with anything else because they're Agalloch and therefore amazing because they exist etc."

You already spoke of subjectiveness. I can think of nothing more subjective than "art". I understand your sentiments but not everyone sees them the way you do.
26.12.2010 - 10:32
Karthik
A beautiful review that befits a beautiful album. Personally, I feel this album is more complex than Ashes Against the Grain. I think it is the hype before the release of the album that has left many disappointed. No matter how good the music is we invariably tend to think that it does not justify the hype.
28.12.2010 - 08:39
Rating: 7
Kuroboshi
Ghosts of the Midwinter Fires rocks, but otherwise I feel that this album is very bland, especially for an Agalloch release. It is nice that they explore new territory, it's just a shame that this time they went into the swamps.
30.12.2010 - 13:53
Slayer666
IMO, Agalloch's very best. The Mantle was awesome but too samey, Ashes too... distorted, but this one is right on the spot. Kinda sounds like a more blackened and experimental "The Mantle", which is quite awesome. "Black Lake Nidstang" is an album within an album.
04.01.2011 - 03:53
Evil Chip
Written by [user id=4365] on 25.12.2010 at 23:52

Forgive me but that strikes me as just an eloquent fanboy's way of saying "Agalloch are so amazing that they need not be compared with anything else because they're Agalloch and therefore amazing because they exist etc."

You already spoke of subjectiveness. I can think of nothing more subjective than "art". I understand your sentiments but not everyone sees them the way you do.

But music is art and everyone knows that. And reviewing art according to litterature extending to theater and music, post twentieth century has become subjective. So if you want to review music to good or bad objectively you are wasting time, sorry. Though you can always analyse the album objectively about in terms of the lyrics or the production, but analysing is not putting a score. Sorry my English kinda sucks.
04.01.2011 - 04:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Evil Chip on 04.01.2011 at 03:53

But music is art and everyone knows that. And reviewing art according to litterature extending to theater and music, post twentieth century has become subjective. So if you want to review music to good or bad objectively you are wasting time, sorry. Though you can always analyse the album objectively about in terms of the lyrics or the production, but analysing is not putting a score. Sorry my English kinda sucks.

Then what's the point of reviewing anything ever?

And I don't agree, experience and understanding gives a person the necessary ability and skills to able to empirically review something to as close to "objectivity" as possible. No one is asking for mathematical accuracy (though a limited scoring system can often be accurately implemented) but "art" as it were can indeed be reviewed, at least in the sense of music.

And why do you think you can objectively analyse the production and lyrics? Production can alter the atmosphere and tone of a record by making it clearer or muddier or more raw - when does that suit a record and when doesn't it? Surely that's up to the listener, and not something that can be analysed objectively (to the degree you're talking about). Lyrics are the same; highly interpretive.
04.01.2011 - 05:40
Culty
Written by [user id=4365] on 25.12.2010 at 23:52

But he never said that they aren't to be compared to anything. What I read was that he said that one shouldn't compare this release to their other releases.

Also, just in case you try to call me a fanboy as well, I too was more or less rather disappointed with this release. AND I agree that it is fine to compare a band's new release to their previous releases. <3
----
Gfnttlr
04.01.2011 - 13:58
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Culty on 04.01.2011 at 05:40

But he never said that they aren't to be compared to anything. What I read was that he said that one shouldn't compare this release to their other releases.

Also, just in case you try to call me a fanboy as well, I too was more or less rather disappointed with this release. AND I agree that it is fine to compare a band's new release to their previous releases. <3

I was using hyperbole to highlight my point; if someone is going to kick up a fuss about having an album compared to previous works it's pretty likely that that person is going to kick up a fuss if it's compared with anything, in my opinion. If someone is so hell bent on having a hissy when someone compares albums within a band (a band they hold oh-so-dearly) why on earth would they be ok having it compared to a totally different (and probably lesser) band? When something gets tarred as high art then reason gets thrown out the window. And if you look his initial point it is that comparing records within a band is "completely devoid of sense" - the words of someone who isn't thinking with a single ounce of reason or logic.

I have no issue with fanboyism, only when the bands are made out to be better and beyond the opinions of those listening to them.
04.01.2011 - 22:25
Culty
Written by [user id=4365] on 04.01.2011 at 13:58

Written by Culty on 04.01.2011 at 05:40

I was using hyperbole to highlight my point; if someone is going to kick up a fuss about having an album compared to previous works it's pretty likely that that person is going to kick up a fuss if it's compared with anything, in my opinion. If someone is so hell bent on having a hissy when someone compares albums within a band (a band they hold oh-so-dearly) why on earth would they be ok having it compared to a totally different (and probably lesser) band? When something gets tarred as high art then reason gets thrown out the window. And if you look his initial point it is that comparing records within a band is "completely devoid of sense" - the words of someone who isn't thinking with a single ounce of reason or logic.

I have no issue with fanboyism, only when the bands are made out to be better and beyond the opinions of those listening to them.

Ah yeah I see what you mean. Point taken, sir!
----
Gfnttlr
05.01.2011 - 22:44
Evil Chip
Written by [user id=4365] on 04.01.2011 at 04:21

Written by Evil Chip on 04.01.2011 at 03:53

Then what's the point of reviewing anything ever?

And I don't agree, experience and understanding gives a person the necessary ability and skills to able to empirically review something to as close to "objectivity" as possible. No one is asking for mathematical accuracy (though a limited scoring system can often be accurately implemented) but "art" as it were can indeed be reviewed, at least in the sense of music.

And why do you think you can objectively analyse the production and lyrics? Production can alter the atmosphere and tone of a record by making it clearer or muddier or more raw - when does that suit a record and when doesn't it? Surely that's up to the listener, and not something that can be analysed objectively (to the degree you're talking about). Lyrics are the same; highly interpretive.

Talking empirecally or based on your experience doesn't make a review objective. I don't mean reviewing is bad, that would be a stupid nazi thing to say (things that are abundant with people over Intertnet and of course metalstorm), I just say that reviewing is subjective and that's not a bad thing to say. Many people have tried to put art at the leves of empirist sciences but that is just crap, I won't explain why because that's another subject. You can analyse the production like you said seeing if it's more raw or more clean. The matter if the production fits the theme of the album is reviewing of the album and you are confusing that. You can analyse lyrics about the perspective of the narrator of the song based on basic knowledge of litterature theory. Reviewing should be taken more seriously. I haven't seen good reviews of an album in a while. And about comparing an album to another shouldn't be the major thing about doing a review. I think that art in general is interpreted and constantly renovating itself. For example hearing Sgt. Peppers in 1970 was totally different from the perspective of the listener and the historical context than hearing it nowadays. So I agree with the guy saying that art stands for itself. Making comparisons is the easy way to make a review. I think I made myself clear. See ya
05.01.2011 - 23:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Evil Chip on 05.01.2011 at 22:44

Talking empirecally or based on your experience doesn't make a review objective. I don't mean reviewing is bad, that would be a stupid nazi thing to say (things that are abundant with people over Intertnet and of course metalstorm), I just say that reviewing is subjective and that's not a bad thing to say. Many people have tried to put art at the leves of empirist sciences but that is just crap, I won't explain why because that's another subject. You can analyse the production like you said seeing if it's more raw or more clean. The matter if the production fits the theme of the album is reviewing of the album and you are confusing that. You can analyse lyrics about the perspective of the narrator of the song based on basic knowledge of litterature theory. Reviewing should be taken more seriously. I haven't seen good reviews of an album in a while. And about comparing an album to another shouldn't be the major thing about doing a review. I think that art in general is interpreted and constantly renovating itself. For example hearing Sgt. Peppers in 1970 was totally different from the perspective of the listener and the historical context than hearing it nowadays. So I agree with the guy saying that art stands for itself. Making comparisons is the easy way to make a review. I think I made myself clear. See ya

Err nope. This is a bunch of contradictory nonsense, unless I'm just not understanding your english very well. You're saying reviewing is subjective yet you're basically instigating a set of rules upon it: no comparing it to previous albums; only analyse lyrics and production (as if they're a separate part of the music itself - this is another example of selective reasoning that's rife on here and something that's tantamount to hypocrisy). "Making comparisons is the easy way to make a rewiew" - yes, to existing past releases and similar artists which is what I said, unless you're being sarcastic and suggesting that the "easy" way of reviewing is the wrong way.

The Sgt. Pepper analogy is nonsensical; you're suggesting that all records shouldn't be reviewed until 40 years later or something? No, reviews serve as functional piece of information (as well as entertaining) to inform readers and should be looked at in the here and now. Sgt. Pepper may be considered as a piece of art but that's only because of history and the argument serves no function in what I'm talking about (whatever the fuck that was). Stop calling everything "art" - just because a piece of crap band makes a shitty record doesn't elevate it to "art"

If you're simply arguing that all reviews are subjective (a word and argument I'm utterly tired of because it's been so flagrantly obvious since the dawn of humanity) then "duh" - of course it is. No one is suggesting otherwise, but experience and understanding leads to better reviews and allow them to approach something closer resembling a consensus i.e. objectivness.

Anyway, the fact you haven't seen a review that you would consider any good for a while just shows how inflexible you are so I'd say this is more of a problem with you than anything else.
06.01.2011 - 00:01
Evil Chip
Written by [user id=4365] on 05.01.2011 at 23:06

Written by Evil Chip on 05.01.2011 at 22:44

Err nope. This is a bunch of contradictory nonsense, unless I'm just not understanding your english very well. You're saying reviewing is subjective yet you're basically instigating a set of rules upon it: no comparing it to previous albums; only analyse lyrics and production (as if they're a separate part of the music itself - this is another example of selective reasoning that's rife on here and something that's tantamount to hypocrisy). "Making comparisons is the easy way to make a rewiew" - yes, to existing past releases and similar artists which is what I said, unless you're being sarcastic and suggesting that the "easy" way of reviewing is the wrong way.

The Sgt. Pepper analogy is nonsensical; you're suggesting that all records shouldn't be reviewed until 40 years later or something? No, reviews serve as functional piece of information (as well as entertaining) to inform readers and should be looked at in the here and now. Sgt. Pepper may be considered as a piece of art but that's only because of history and the argument serves no function in what I'm talking about (whatever the fuck that was). Stop calling everything "art" - just because a piece of crap band makes a shitty record doesn't elevate it to "art"

If you're simply arguing that all reviews are subjective (a word and argument I'm utterly tired of because it's been so flagrantly obvious since the dawn of humanity) then "duh" - of course it is. No one is suggesting otherwise, but experience and understanding leads to better reviews and allow them to approach something closer resembling a consensus i.e. objectivness.

You didn't find so obvious that reviews were subjective at the beginning. I didn't suggest that reviews are pointless. Where did I put that? Where did I put that albums should be reviewed after 40 years? Where is the set of rules that I posted to make a good review? Inflexible? That's the point when the argue turns into shrink talk about feelings and bla bla bla... Sorry you didn't get my point and even in various parts I agree with what you were saying. You want to discuss or show who has the bigger dick? Pointless response coming now
06.01.2011 - 00:57
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Evil Chip on 06.01.2011 at 00:01

You didn't find so obvious that reviews were subjective at the beginning. I didn't suggest that reviews are pointless. Where did I put that? Where did I put that albums should be reviewed after 40 years? Where is the set of rules that I posted to make a good review? Inflexible? That's the point when the argue turns into shrink talk about feelings and bla bla bla... Sorry you didn't get my point and even in various parts I agree with what you were saying. You want to discuss or show who has the bigger dick? Pointless response coming now

Actually I never said that reviews weren't subjective, I said that how subjective a review is can be minimised with understanding and knowledge, to which you seem to disagree with, or at least do not think is a very worthwhile endeavor, that's my issue with you. You make out that reviews have no worth beyond the individual and can have no educational or intelligent relevance. You implied that reviews are virtually pointless by the fact you seem to disregard defacto techniques such as comparing records to one another, the fact that reviews in general don't conform to the treatment of art of whatever and the fact you don't seem to find reviews in general to be very good, all of which suggest to me you aren't coming from the most balanced perspective as far as I can see it.

Anyway you seem to be asking me to repeat a number of things and it's obvious this has degenerated to the point where you seem to think penis waving has been brought into play (not to mention Godwin's law has already been breached) so I'll make this the last pointless response.
26.01.2011 - 05:19
eximius
Woderful review.
This album is a good one but it definitely lacks something. I guess it should be a bit more "marrowy" /undiluted and should definitely have more catchy sounds like the ones in the first seconds of Into The Painted Grey.
It surely feels like an Agalloch album but I'll stick to the old material..
21.02.2011 - 08:45
wormdrink414
Elite
Written by eximius on 26.01.2011 at 05:19

Woderful review.
This album is a good one but it definitely lacks something. I guess it should be a bit more "marrowy" /undiluted and should definitely have more catchy sounds like the ones in the first seconds of Into The Painted Grey.
It surely feels like an Agalloch album but I'll stick to the old material..

That something is power, I think. It pains me, as a native Portlander, to say that, although the atmosphere is there, the whole album sounds neuter to me.
23.02.2011 - 10:10
Dragzad
This is not their worst album.Well, it doesn't live up to the standards of Pale Folklore and The Mantle but it is much better than Ashes Against The Grain.
23.02.2011 - 11:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Dragzad on 23.02.2011 at 10:10

This is not their worst album.Well, it doesn't live up to the standards of Pale Folklore and The Mantle but it is much better than Ashes Against The Grain.

After a gazillion spins I have come to enjoy Marrow more and it is definitely a step up from Ashes Against The Grain, but noweher near The Mantle and Pale Folklore.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.02.2011 - 12:56
niteman
I can't get into this album. I love Mantle an Ashes, both of the are fucking EPIC, but this... I really tried to like it, listened very carefully for more than 5 times. Seems unoriginal and plain boring. Hopefully it will grow on me, but the Agalloch effect should have kicked in by now with this album.
Huge step down from Ashes. Its MS rating is way way to big for its true value. But hey, Ghost Reveries has a 9...
PS: does anyone think the first song and the end of To Drown have parts that resemble the music from Requiem for a Dream? Just asking...
06.04.2011 - 23:19
malaikat
Written by omjaimes on 17.12.2010 at 22:02

12:30 - 14:37 in Black Lake Nidstang is epic

You should listen to german band called Ash Ra Tempel or any simmilar krautrock band, almost all of their songs are atmospheric like this part! (they just last waaay longer)
07.06.2011 - 22:16
Rating: 10
Tetravirulence
This is their best album, this is the album, if you dont get it you just dont get it, i am sorry. Only bergtatt comes close to it and it took me 8 months to realize and find its sheer beauty, 20-30 listens are not enough for this album
----
Metal News Community!! http://head-metal-bangers.blogspot.com

RIP Juhani Palomaki (1977-2010)

Hits total: 14344 | This month: 8