Well, it is one week after your winners of the 2009 Metal Storm Awards were unveiled… you know what that means. It's time that we, the Metal Storm Staff, post up our winners.

We'd like to thank all the nominated bands for their efforts last year. There was a lot of good metal that we were able to enjoy. We spent the month of February listening to the nominees again and conducting our own polls. Some were runaway favorites whereas other genres had such tight competition that we required run-offs to determine a winner.

So we cordially invite you to tell us just how little we know about metal, how much our picks suck (or don't, if your tastes are similarly aligned)… you can do so here.

CategoryPick
Pagan/Viking/Folk Finsterforst - ...Zum Tode Hin
Post-Metal/Avantgarde Sólstafir - Köld
Power Sonata Arctica - The Days Of Grays
Progressive Between The Buried And Me - The Great Misdirect
Sludge Ghost Brigade - Isolation Songs
Thrash Warbringer - Waking Into Nightmares
Cover song Leaves' Eyes - Scarborough Fair (Traditional English song)
Debut album Oranssi Pazuzu - Muukalainen Puhuu

Posted: 09.03.2010 by BitterCOld

Comments

BlankFile - 08.03.2010 at 23:08
Nice pick in the Power Metal category by the staff of Metal Storm. Sonata Arctica´s The Days of Grays was really a great release and certainly the best in that genre in 2009! Stay Metal
Sjuk - 08.03.2010 at 23:09
Arkona didn't win the best Pagan/Viking/Folk Metal... I'm so sad
WorpeX - 08.03.2010 at 23:23
Great picks! m/ I'm glad Paradise Lost won the staff awards since it didn't get the public one!
Ragana - 08.03.2010 at 23:33
Man, I don't belong here. I've heard only two albums and nine bands of all. I don't know anything about power metal although I've heard the latest release of Sonata Arctica, but what I know for sure is that the Staff picked the best cover song (because of the performance, not the band itself or the album which indeed wasn't that great).

Uh, what I REALLY want to hear is Sólstafir's "Köld"... and for a looong, loooong time.
replica of me - 08.03.2010 at 23:48
Written by BlankFile on 08.03.2010 at 23:08

IMO it was a horrible pick. This record has almost nothing to do with Power Metal. There were numerous albums that were much much better.
Vitriolic Hate - 09.03.2010 at 00:09
Written by BlankFile on 08.03.2010 at 23:08

agreed
shadowdragonfly1 - 09.03.2010 at 00:18
Great picks by the staff, definitely all albums are worth listening to. I only disagree in the progressive metal pic, im a big prog fan and I had a difficult choosing, but the great misdirect isn't better than anno domini HD or even DT's album.

And also, great call on finsterforst, it is one of my favorite albums of 2009
Paradox0 - 09.03.2010 at 00:21
Nice pick on Hardcore Superstar....and Crack the Skye.......thgats all i have to say.
JÄY - 09.03.2010 at 00:44
Hardcore superstar
sonata arctica
MeloDeathViking - 09.03.2010 at 01:03
Glad to see BtBAM got some love here
silenius - 09.03.2010 at 01:03
Finsterforst!
Doc Godin - 09.03.2010 at 01:08
Worst place!
Marcel Hubregtse - 09.03.2010 at 01:25
Written by Doc Godin on 09.03.2010 at 01:08

Worst place!

me no understand
ß - 09.03.2010 at 01:44
I sure prefer these picks over the current ones.
Odium - 09.03.2010 at 02:48
Best Black Metal for Deströyer? Come on...you guys can do better...
Marcel Hubregtse - 09.03.2010 at 02:54
Written by Odium on 09.03.2010 at 02:48

Best Black Metal for Deströyer? Come on...you guys can do better...

At least it's better than the users' pick

My favourites I discovered too late to try and get them in the staff nominations (Altar Of Plagues, Cobalt) But from the nominations I certainly went for Wolves In The Throne Room (guess it's not that surprising seeing which two releases I REALLY enjoyed last year)
thesabbathfan - 09.03.2010 at 04:07
Warbringer is overrated as shit imo
Nacur - 09.03.2010 at 04:50
Some of the pics were very nice...but... I have to say something about the Post/Avant-Garde, the first thing is that they should not be together...since they are pretty different. The second one is, Sólstafir's album was good, don't know if better than DSO, and could win the Avant-Garde. But considering the post metal bands...man, Sólstafir does not deserve it. =/

Hope next year we have different categories for this genres.
BitterCOld - 09.03.2010 at 05:13
Written by thesabbathfan on 09.03.2010 at 04:07

Warbringer is overrated as shit imo

same could easily be said for the Megadeth album that racked up over 400 votes.

As for Warbringer, have you seen them live? they were fantastic. i went to see Vader and a couple other bands, but walked out with Warbringer merch... they won me over.

____

as for black metal, tbh, it wasn't my top choice. Cobalt, which too few of us were able to check out in time, which i have already stated is my biggest regret of the entire process this year, and Oranssi Pazuzu were my top choices. but i'll take D666 over Immortal for '09.
thesabbathfan - 09.03.2010 at 05:24
Written by BitterCOld on 09.03.2010 at 05:13

Written by thesabbathfan on 09.03.2010 at 04:07

Warbringer is overrated as shit imo

same could easily be said for the Megadeth album that racked up over 400 votes.

____

yeah i saw them on Kreator's Hordes of Chaos tour. they have good stage presence and are talented for sure, but their music is just all style no substance...
opeth771 - 09.03.2010 at 05:28
Redemption could easily have won the progressive metal award ever though I absolutely love BTBAM
Daggon - 09.03.2010 at 06:25
I agree with the Warbringer choice, Asphyx and Process Of Guilt are ok, about the others, well, no comments.
Biedrik - 09.03.2010 at 06:53
I love the thrash pick. I usually find that the staff picks are better than the voted ones, as those tend to just go to the most popular release, not the best one.
blackwreath - 09.03.2010 at 07:23
Defiance was definitely a better album than All Shall Fall but I still regret the lack of Marduk's presence, Wormwood was great step for the band and the best BM album of 09 that I heard for sure.
oroboros - 09.03.2010 at 08:14
Now this is a gud list...thank god Insomnium won..wonder who all voted for it???
Raiden - 09.03.2010 at 09:00
Written by Nacur on 09.03.2010 at 04:50

Hope next year we have different categories for this genres.

Well we did have them separated but there weren't nearly enough Avantgarde releases so we combined it with the Post Metal category (the closest fit). A few of the nominees combine the styles in some way too so it wasn't too bad.
In Bone Factory - 09.03.2010 at 09:09
Finsterforst was a great choice but Sonata Arctica.
Mr. Doctor - 09.03.2010 at 09:38
Written by Ragana on 08.03.2010 at 23:33

Man, I don't belong here. I've heard only two albums and nine bands of all.

You're mainstream

I do feel like I belong here since in the awards only two categories where I voted won [Metalcore and Post/avantgarde] but here I agreed with 5 votes in Metalcore, Atmospheric/Symphonic, Doom, Grindcore and best debut album. And also some of the albums that the staff choosed were in the second or third place imo, like in the death and extreme doom category.

So yeah, this is way better than the awards, I'm glad that Oranssi Pazuzu got something, because they sure kick ass.

I don't know shit about the power categories since I didn't vote for it... But Sonata Arctica?
Acolyt#1 - 09.03.2010 at 10:50
I agree with the debut album pick. Delightfully original
BloodTears - 09.03.2010 at 11:10
Interesting picks.
Merchant of Doom - 09.03.2010 at 14:39
Good picks in the doom categories...
Zenzero - 09.03.2010 at 15:13
Sonata artica died after reckoning night! last 2 albums suck so much!
Diabolos - 09.03.2010 at 15:20
I'm glad that Finsterforst won, Ensiferum, Arkona and Týr were all pretty weak and only Finsterforst or Suidakra should win in that category, because both albums were really nice
Abattoir - 09.03.2010 at 15:54
I'm very pleased with Hardcore Superstar pick in hard rock category, while they were only fourth by members pick...they desrved at least second if not even first place in my opinion
Agrona - 09.03.2010 at 17:08
I just don't understand how Sonata's new album won for the Metal Storm Awards and Staff Picks. Mediocre at best... I strongly believe they are running out of ideas when I gave it a listen. =
seafood - 09.03.2010 at 18:07
I'm glad that Madder Mortem won in atmospheric/symphonic.. but I hoped for Kalisia or Riverside to win in prog here. Well nevermind, maybe this will make me check BTBAM. I didn't like the songs I looked up on youtube mainly because of the metalcore-ish vocals, but may get used to it while listnening to the whole cd.
Ragana - 09.03.2010 at 18:41
Written by Mr. Doctor on 09.03.2010 at 09:38

Written by Ragana on 08.03.2010 at 23:33

Man, I don't belong here. I've heard only two albums and nine bands of all.

You're mainstream

Wow, that hurt a lot. I haven't heard most of the last year's metal albums so I'm again just missing out the great fun of whining about the results. Last year I did the same thing, so I guess a new tradition has born - evaluating everything after the awards.
AlvarUgo - 10.03.2010 at 02:55
What about Sacrifice's The Ones I Condemn guys how come nobody has realized it's supremacy
Introspekrieg - 10.03.2010 at 02:56
Quote:
Cover song Leaves' Eyes - Scarborough Fair (Traditional English song)

This may be one of the most overly-covered songs ever... I get a sick feeling every time I hear it.
INÆRIS - 10.03.2010 at 07:39
Ghost Brigade is amazing!!!!!!!!
-DC-002- - 10.03.2010 at 11:02
I Voted for, The Divinity of Oceans and now that I'm beginning to appreciate Colosseums, Numquam I'm left unsure
schwanderen - 10.03.2010 at 12:39
Written by BlankFile on 08.03.2010 at 23:08

Check out While heaven wept - vast oceans lachrymose. Normally not power metal, but for me - greatest release in the metal world in 2009.
Ewonian - 15.03.2010 at 15:09
Written by Zenzero on 09.03.2010 at 15:13

Sonata artica died after reckoning night! last 2 albums suck so much!

This, Reckoning Night was so badass, then... ugh... At least they changed their style and it's not the same shit over and over.

BTBAM getting prog award kinda shocked me, great misdirect didn't blow me away as much as Colors, but it was still a damn great album. I still listen to colors more than great misdirect...

Doom genres were chosen well also~
Zenzero - 15.03.2010 at 16:51
Written by Guest on 15.03.2010 at 15:09

Written by Zenzero on 09.03.2010 at 15:13

Sonata artica died after reckoning night! last 2 albums suck so much!

Doom genres were chosen well also~

Edguy still do the same shit since the first album and i like it really much! sentenced (with lahila) did 5 equal shit albums and i like them! rhapsody do the same shit since the first album they now bore me!
nightwish change and i like them! sonata change and i think that their last 2 albums suck really much!
d'you know what i mean??

News Metal Storm Awards - Staff Picks For 2008 9 15.03.2009 by WorpeX
Articles 2011 Metal Storm Awards - Staff Picks 7.5 17.03.2012 by wrathchild
News Metal Storm Awards 2009 - Now Open For Voting! 7.5 01.02.2010 by Angel_Lament
News Metal Storm Awards - Results Are In! 6 01.03.2012 by 3rdWorld