Violence and chaos broke out around Bogota's Simon Bolivar park last Wednesday night, when hundreds of frenzied fans tried to crash Metallica's first Colombian concert in eleven years.

Bogota's Regulatory Center of Emergency Services reported that four policemen and four civilians were hospitalized throughout the evening for cuts, lesions to the head and one fractured leg. One youth was stabbed with knife in the hand.

160 people were arrested and property was vandalized and destroyed, as ticketless fans tried to storm the venue in order to catch a glimpse of their "rock-god idols". Radio Santa Fe reported that prior to the concert, there were posts on social networking site Facebook inciting fans to crash the Metallica concert. Estimates of audience numbers by Colombian media sources oscillate wildly between 20,000 and 70,000.

Authorities implemented security measures as heavy as the band's music, with some 1,500 police employed to stand guard during the event, as well as four tanks and several police trucks. There were no reports in the Colombian media that the tanks had been deployed.

The Metallica riots are reminiscent of those that rocked Bogota during a concert by British heavy metal group Iron Maiden in March 2009.

Metallica last played in Colombia on May 2, 1999. To view their 2010 and 1999 playlists, click here.

Source: colombiareports.com
Band profile: Metallica
Event: Metallica: Latin American Tour

Posted: 12.03.2010 by Shadowcross

Comments

LeChron James - 12.03.2010 at 21:15
DAAAAAAAMN. Colombian cops don't fuck around. i want that huge water cannon truck/tank thing, though.

and ZOMG HOT PURSUIT ON A HORSE!!!1
hanna of steel - 12.03.2010 at 21:18
I hope that +{Jho'nass}+ is ok - he had a ticket for this gig.
xVovax - 12.03.2010 at 22:08
Old news
CHEF METALHEAD - 12.03.2010 at 22:41
I would riot also after the shit music they put out!!!!
WorpeX - 12.03.2010 at 22:53
What the hell is the point of this? Why didnt they just buy a ticket if they wanted to see them so bad...?
JÄY - 12.03.2010 at 22:55
I love it when young people are referred to as "youths"...

ah! youths!
Zeh - 12.03.2010 at 23:02
The only thing they can win is getting out of big bands tour. Shame on them.
nana.MD - 12.03.2010 at 23:11
Damn...terrible news...mmm i also hope jonas is ok
Marcus - 12.03.2010 at 23:27
Hey Colombia, maybe this is why bands don't play in your country.
csiga - 12.03.2010 at 23:47
Written by Marcus on 12.03.2010 at 23:27

Hey Colombia, maybe this is why bands don't play in your country.

Some idiots not = Colombia.
ShadowedFire88 - 12.03.2010 at 23:50
Written by csiga on 12.03.2010 at 23:47

Written by Marcus on 12.03.2010 at 23:27

Hey Colombia, maybe this is why bands don't play in your country.

Some idiots not = Colombia.

I agree.. these are just some a few fucking idiots that always have to make the news and give bad rep to the entire country...
Black Conundrum - 13.03.2010 at 00:20
Oy, what lousy fans of Metallica. When I first read the title of this news bulletin, I wondered whether this was a DVD release or whether it was something else. To my non-surprise, it was the latter. People being desparate enough to crash the concert without permission and cause riots like this is very stupid on the behalf of the fans. What a way to spoil the night of the good-intented fans. What is even worse is that Colombia has a history of such unhealthy, raucous. I hate it when majorities or large groups of people are stupid or misguided. Also, I will give a tip of the hat to the Colombian police for the action that they took against the imbecile fans.

And last but not least, I hope Jonas is okay. I didn't know that he was a Colombian or lived near Colombia.
x_therion_x - 13.03.2010 at 00:39
It's really sad, this people want to enter to the concert for free with violent methods Metalñeros are called here.
xplanet2112 - 13.03.2010 at 00:42
It's a shame something like this happened... bad news indeed.
Marcus - 13.03.2010 at 00:44
Written by ShadowedFire88 on 12.03.2010 at 23:50

Written by csiga on 12.03.2010 at 23:47

Written by Marcus on 12.03.2010 at 23:27

Hey Colombia, maybe this is why bands don't play in your country.

Some idiots not = Colombia.

Oops, sorry I didn't mean that it was the whole country's fault, but it usually isn't a good idea to riot every time a big band comes to your country.
vikingman369 - 13.03.2010 at 01:36
Written by CHEF METALHEAD on 12.03.2010 at 22:41

I would riot also after the shit music they put out!!!!

Bah at Metallica like a good little pop-metal sheep, show them that you care!

As for the riots, hell yeah! Same thing happened in Russia back in the 90s. So what?
Stalker - 13.03.2010 at 03:15
Yeah, this was in all news today...
Angel Of Rage - 13.03.2010 at 05:21
I gotta say something: 200 stupid guys trying to do the same stupi thing for every single show from an important band. Now the point is that more than 50.000 well-behaved people were attending the show with no problems.

I feel sad because of those riot news, but please: Why don't you also talk about the surprise Metallica had when receiving a huge colombian flag (I mean: really, really huge - like more than 20 meters long) and the excellent attitude of the colombian audience?
Shadowcross - 13.03.2010 at 08:48
Written by CHEF METALHEAD on 12.03.2010 at 22:41

I would riot also after the shit music they put out!!!!

Agreed, I don't actually like Metallica save the first few albums, I just posted this because I love anarchy.

Written by Black Conundrum on 13.03.2010 at 00:20

When I originally posted this news I had a title like 'Hundreds of fans go on violent rampage' which I think was more accurate.. but meh what can you do! The news title definitely sounds like a DVD release.
..ExoTeaR.. - 13.03.2010 at 09:31
Meh! good or bad its fucking awsome woulda been crazy to see for real << its a shame that people were unfortunatly hospitalised tho.
Ellrohir - 13.03.2010 at 10:44
Wasnt it also Colombia where were riots due to Iron Maiden gig in 2008?
Bad English - 13.03.2010 at 11:10
I hope Tulkas and Jonas is OK
Well what van be next ban of metal there like rammstein banned in bellorussia
Bad English - 13.03.2010 at 11:10
Written by Ellrohir on 13.03.2010 at 10:44

Wasnt it also Colombia where were riots due to Iron Maiden gig in 2008?

Read a news carifully
benvolent - 13.03.2010 at 11:17
Eh, stupid?
Ellrohir - 13.03.2010 at 12:58
Written by Bad English on 13.03.2010 at 11:10

Written by Ellrohir on 13.03.2010 at 10:44

Wasnt it also Colombia where were riots due to Iron Maiden gig in 2008?

Read a news carifully

so it was only it was 2009, not 2008
Elodie Artour - 13.03.2010 at 18:01
@Hanna: I can only hope that, too.
Icarus - 13.03.2010 at 19:43
Heyy i was there!!!(concert not riots) and to be honest i didnt see the riots until the next day on the news... mmm is just some misfits trying to draw attention but it was a good concert!!
Jiri - 13.03.2010 at 20:05
That's what happens when they play old songs like "Creeping Death".
tulkas - 13.03.2010 at 22:15
The riots just occurred outside the place where the concert was taking place, but inside it was all good, so don't worry about Jonas or anything. I wasn't able to go, such a shame, but they told me that it was amazing. It's a shame that because of a few uncivilized assholes all these things take place. And you want to hear the saddest bit of it all? Like a week or so before the concert, these assholes opened a group on facebook for all of those "who were going to try to get into the concert without having the ticket"
Ozman - 13.03.2010 at 22:24
Like someone had already said. If these morons wanted to see the concert they should have bought a fucking ticket. what a bunch of freeloading no-good-for-anything parasites.
+{Jonas}+ - 14.03.2010 at 03:54
Written by tulkas on 13.03.2010 at 22:15

Indeed, the ones of us who were inside diin't know a thing. When wewere returning home one of the avenues (68th) was closed because of these assholes. Actually me and my cousinwere talking of how calm it all had been until we saw the news the morning after.
Sad thing is, media just shows the riots and completely forgets the concert. Another reason to be ashamed of beigng colombian.
Ellrohir - 14.03.2010 at 12:44
More likely you should be ashamed, that they are colombians
andreas.santamaria@g - 14.03.2010 at 19:19
Written by Marcus on 12.03.2010 at 23:27

Hey Colombia, maybe this is why bands don't play in your country.

Slayer, Obituary, Exodus, Napalm Death, Sodom, Destruction, Kreator, Cannibal Corpse, Helloween, Dream Theater, Joe Satriani, Opeth, Therion, Cradle Of Filth, Tristania, Testament, Motorhead, Megadeth, Carcass, Criminal, Fear Factory, Paradise Lost, Dark Tranquillity, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden...
All This Bands have actually played in Colombia and I've seen all of them (I'm sure I'm forgetting many others)
don't say things that you don't know for sure! Metal in Colombia is more than alive
Marcus - 15.03.2010 at 00:35
Written by andreas.santamaria@g on 14.03.2010 at 19:19

Written by Marcus on 12.03.2010 at 23:27

Hey Colombia, maybe this is why bands don't play in your country.

Haha it wasn't meant to be taken literally.

Reviews Metallica - Kill 'Em All 6 12.08.2006 by Bulus