Malefic, frontman of black metal band Xasthur, announced that Portal of Sorrow is the title of the eighth album. This album will also be the last album that is released under the Xasthur moniker. The Xasthur blog reads:

"This album, Portal of Sorrow, is the last Xasthur album, period. The honorable thing to do is to end the band and not hang around too long, like so many metal/black metal bands do. Enough is enough, right?

I'm not able to make it work anymore. I don't want to turn into one of those bands who rely on too many guests and session musicians to make people interested in their music again. Some help is fine but more than some help is very cheap and it becomes others, not the roots of the band that makes the difference and the music work. I don't want to fall into that pattern. The motivation and inspiration used to be there full time and now it's not there at all, not for doing Xasthur at least. It is a roll or persona that I have simply outgrown. I've been saying I'm sick and tired of it all for too long... and now, I'm going to back it up. There are or have been literally 18,000 black metal bands; it does not matter if there's one less.

Just like in the nineties, I made a few recent attempts to put a real line-up together and it still failed; another sign that said "give it up already".

However, I wanted to end on a better note with this 'Portal of Sorrow' album because the album that came before it, 'All reflections drained', was not up to par and I couldn't finish up with an album that I was less than satisfied with. Now, I suppose any or all goals have been reached and there is nothing more I wish to try with Xasthur and it's time to move on...

Since it would be foolish to give up music all together, I have something else to fall back on that is beginning to take shape. It's a new beginning that I'm quite excited about.

Instead, I'm going to do something different by not performing any kind of metal at all! There's no use in trying to reinvent black metal or turn it upside down, it's all been done and in the end, it's still metal and will remain within those circles, stereotypes and boundaries no matter what. Overall, I need a bigger change in my life and with music than just trying to change metal. There isn't anything to lose.

I would ask you to stay tuned for my next project and give it a plug but there's no need to. It's probably of no interest to you and again, it has nothing to do with metal and I'm not trying to keep any connection or ties to it. I will not name influences, genres or anything of the sort.

Believe me when I say this decision has been well thought out for months and doesn't come out of frustration. Something I usually hate is comebacks, reunions or reformations of bands. You can be rest assured (for even relieved) that this will not happen.

I would like to say fuck you to so many people it's not even funny, but that would be just another way of not washing my hands and hanging around, so I won't bother.
Instead, I would like to say thank you to a handful of people who took an interest in the music over the years and had the patience to (slowly but surely) watch it grow and develop. I'm more grateful than you think; you know who you are and I know who you are. I'd also like to say thanks to Marissa Nadler for taking her voice to another level, to Ron for helping design the album and to Hydra Head for the hospitality over the last few years.

The Disharmonic Variations label will most likely continue, even though Xasthur will not. I'll get into talking about this later.

Source: xasthur.mercurous.net
Band profile: Xasthur

Posted: 30.03.2010 by Table ov Black

Comments

BudDa - 30.03.2010 at 15:38
For some reason I could tell all this from your last album and even the one before it..The zeal is just not there anymore. But anyhow, hope ure next project will be worthwhile
Asitis - 30.03.2010 at 16:08
Well, atleast they know when it's over. Not like Iced Earth or catamenia who just keeeps on goooooingg
Prisoner - 30.03.2010 at 16:28
Yeah, at least they took the glory to go down on time and not being more embarrassed like some bands are, but I wonder, if he says his next project is a change and all that stuff, isn't it going to be a pop project (lol)?!
Vitriolic Hate - 30.03.2010 at 17:07
TheBigRossowski - 30.03.2010 at 17:17
I'll probably check out his next project. Maybe he doesn't realize, some people aren't bound to the stereotypes of being a true metalhead.

On certain days the Dude listens to Debussy and Clint Mansell.

I'll definitely check out the last album though.
Don_Doom - 30.03.2010 at 20:35
Enough is enough...that´s all!!
Uirapuru - 30.03.2010 at 20:38
Sometimes there is just nothing to explore within your own kind of music. Good thing to call it quits...

Or he could completly change his musical attitude under the same name, like Ulver and ...And Oceans did... I would not mind that.
Troy Killjoy - 30.03.2010 at 21:11
I can see him forming an industrial or ambient/neo-folk band.
Black Conundrum - 31.03.2010 at 03:06
Thanks for accepting the news. It is definitely surprising that Xasthur is split up. But it is a respectable decision on the behalf of Malefic. I am looking forward to the future endeavor of Malefic that he revealed the existence of in this post.
Mr. Doctor - 31.03.2010 at 03:47
Malefic seems to be a honest guy, so even though I'm sad to read this news, I fully respect his decision and wish him good luck. He's a very talented musician imo and I'm sure he can do some great non-metal stuff since many of the atmospheres that Xasthur has can be done in other genres.

It's great when bands or musicians know when enough is enough... They can call it quits without any shame.
BreadGod - 31.03.2010 at 04:37
I guess it's best to quit when you start to go downhill than to quit when you suck irredeemably.
LeChron James - 31.03.2010 at 07:44
Go out like champs. or krieg as shit. whichever.
Empty Spaces - 31.03.2010 at 12:17
I respect his decision completely and glad he could give us one more album which I can't wait to listen to. Xasthur has been one of my favorite bands for a couple years now, and I'll always be fan. I'm also glad he ended the project before he had to start forcing himself to make music that he doesn't "feel" anymore. Xasthur was an amazing project IMO that led me to explore different genres of music.

R.I.P Xasthur
Jon - 31.03.2010 at 19:48
I respect that. Good on him.
athena - 01.04.2010 at 00:28
Another person leaving the world of black metal, what else is new?

News Ministry - Frontman Plots Final Album 4 30.05.2006 by