Can't make it to Europe this June for one of the seven Sonisphere "Big Four" shows featuring Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax? No problem. The Sonisphere concert in Sofia, Bulgaria will be broadcast exclusively in high quality HD-format in 800 movie theaters across the world (450 US movie theaters, and 350 theaters across Europe, Canada, and Latin America).

These theater shows will feature nearly four hours of live performances (so each band's entire set will not be shown) and behind-the-scenes footage.

Tickets for the one night only event are available at the local theater box offices and online at thebigfourlive.com where you can see a complete list of presenting theaters. Tickets will start to go on sale Friday, May 21 in the USA and Friday, May 28 internationally.

(Note that ticket on sale times and even days will vary by theatre, so check with your friendly neighborhood participating movie theatre for exact days and times tickets will be available and keep watching thebigfourlive.com for theatre additions/changes.)

Delayed screenings for Australia, South Africa and New Zealand will be announced later.

For the USA:

Presented by NCM Fathom, this one night event will be simulcast exclusively in select movie theaters on Tuesday, June 22nd at 7:30 pm (local time). Ticket prices in the US will be around $20 plus whatever service charges your local theater may add.

Click here for a list of all participating US movie theaters.

For Europe:

Info tba soon. Keep an eye on thebigfourlive.com for updates.

Source: thebigfourlive.com
Event: Sonisphere Festival

Posted: 22.05.2010 by Thryce

Comments

Damnated_Soul - 22.05.2010 at 12:50
Nice!
Lachy - 22.05.2010 at 12:52
This just seems like a really cheap arse way to have a consert. This must just be a pay check
Elodie Artour - 22.05.2010 at 12:59
Wow, why exactly the Bulgarian edition? Simply because our is cheaper or something?
Anyway, I like it.
Athropos - 22.05.2010 at 14:03
They could have used the same size for all four logos...
Abattoir - 22.05.2010 at 14:17
Opportunity to earn some realy nice amount of money....
iMorphball - 22.05.2010 at 14:24
I hate how Metallica is always treated first in these types of things. Oh well, commercialism prevails.

Also, why is Megadeth the only one in that video that didn't get a live sound preview? They played the studio track of Skin o' My Teeth..

Ugh, some bands need respect. And, I know it's such a small thing, but, it bugs me.
iMorphball - 22.05.2010 at 14:26
Written by Athropos on 22.05.2010 at 14:03

They could have used the same size for all four logos...

This too. Fuck, I hate how Metallica is always #1 in the big four, when they're probably the worst artist out of the four.
Orphan Saint - 22.05.2010 at 14:48
Regardless of personal opinion, or quality of music for that matter, Metallica's logo being bigger is a smart business move. Whether we dedicated members of the metal community like it or not, they are the biggest of the Big Four. Throwing their logo up like that is a guaranteed sell out. Don't fool yourself, all of these bands are in it to make money. If they weren't, they wouldn't be doing what they do. My point is that I don't think it's a matter of respect for any of them, it's all about the paycheck.

I would also like to clarify that I'm not saying these bands don't all strive to make good music (whether you like it or not is irrelevant).
Marcel Hubregtse - 22.05.2010 at 15:58
Written by iMorphball on 22.05.2010 at 14:26

Written by Athropos on 22.05.2010 at 14:03

They could have used the same size for all four logos...

They ARE the BIGGEST, most people will go there to see them and not the other three.
Lord_Regnier - 22.05.2010 at 16:50
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.05.2010 at 15:58

Written by iMorphball on 22.05.2010 at 14:26

Written by Athropos on 22.05.2010 at 14:03

They could have used the same size for all four logos...

True. Also, I think Slayer should not jump in this wagon and should say "we won't take part in this commercial circus". After all, they're the only band out of the four who never pussified their music or, at least, who never went utterly shitty.
Lit. - 22.05.2010 at 17:20
Wait... They're playing it at a movie theater?
Kindof dissapointing, but still goable.
BitterCOld - 22.05.2010 at 18:02
Written by Lord_Regnier on 22.05.2010 at 16:50

all the more reason to do the gig and show the other bands up.
AngelofDeth - 22.05.2010 at 19:49
Wish it was the Big 3 show, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax.

You know that half the people that go to this show isnt gonna be a metalhead, and is just going for Metallica. They think Metallica is the most heaviest badass band ever and they dont listen to any other metal bands.

Id much rather Metallica go play on their own tour with fucking trivium or some shit, and leave the True metal to us.
Lord_Regnier - 22.05.2010 at 20:19
Written by AngelofDeth on 22.05.2010 at 19:49

Wish it was the Big 3 show, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax.

Agreed. I know so many people who think they know something about metal, while they haven't checked any other metal band than Metallica (I would rather say they haven't checked any REAL metal band, since Metallica is commercial crap) in the last two decades.
One more reason to despise Metallica.

Damn I will be happy the day those pathetic old farts call a quit. If there's a thing I hate over anything else in metal, it's bands that don't know when time has come to quit, even many years after their creative days are over, and stay there only for money, spoiling their legacy and looking as a bunch of wretched old men stuck in the 80s and unable to evolve.
Honestly, I will be glad in more or less a decade, when pretty much all those old outdated bands won't be active anymore. Some of them (Metallica being one) only poison the scene like a cancer, carrying purely by name while they release nothing but garbage.
Maybe after the clean-up that will happen in some years the metal scene will become more worthy of respect.

Because the metal scene is in dire need of an extensive clean-up. Garbage is eveywhere nowadays and has to be wiped out.
I can't wait to see how it will look after that. Perhaps there are great things to come.
Fat & Sassy! - 22.05.2010 at 22:03
Written by BitterCOld on 22.05.2010 at 18:02

Written by Lord_Regnier on 22.05.2010 at 16:50

all the more reason to do the gig and show the other bands up.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Slayer was involved with some stupid shit with Hot Topic a few years back. I'd say that they are somewhat guilty. :l
Chainer - 22.05.2010 at 22:28
This is horse shit, a bunch of fucking assholes are going to ask us for our money to see a video of the big 4, and its not even the entire sets. Fuck that, and fuck the big 4, I love Dave and Megadeth, but this is just total money grubbing bullshit.
Lord_Regnier - 22.05.2010 at 22:43
Written by Chainer on 22.05.2010 at 22:28

As an old metal fan who can realize the extent of the changes, having followed the scene since the early 80s, I must say it's sad to see how corporated and commercial metal has become more and more throughout the years. That's what happens when you take something that was originally underground and should have remained underground and you bring it to the mainstream.
Metal was not meant to become mainstream. By doing it, they're killing it a bit more each day. That's the reason you see so many soulless albums these days. The genuine feeling, the authenticity is not there. Albums are just a commercial product like any other and without any substance.
And that's why, though I still love some metal stuff very much, I have very little respect left for the scene, fans, etc and seldom buy any new album. I still enjoy listening to the music but, basically, I don't give a fuck at the metal scene anymore because I think it is a bad joke now, lame.
Metal has become a hollow shell, a corpse without a soul.
BitterCOld - 22.05.2010 at 23:21
So i take it those upset about the concept of a gig being shown on a movie screen are thoroughly opposed to live dvds and cds, as it's essentially the exact same thing, only on a different medium.
FRIENDSHIP - 22.05.2010 at 23:33
Haha! I love all this hating on Metallica because there was this one kid on at my dorm last year who only liked Metallica and no other metal. Those sorts of people are PUSSIES, especially when they didn't grow up on it (habit is an okay excuse,) but are instead 19 years old!

On a less "aha!" note, I fear we're all into metal in its decline, kind of like the old lady in the film "Goodbye Lenin," loving East Germany although the wall fell. I agree with the spirit Lord Regnier.
Daggon - 22.05.2010 at 23:53
Well, I'd like to see something like this, even if it's not a "real" gig, it would be a nice time at the cinema (I don't go there very often haha). Well guys, just stop complaining about it, what else do you want? Yes It could have been greater if we were in the 80's watching this show, but hey, it's 2010, so almost 30 years after the rising of this bands, so, let's take it easy and have a nice time watching The Big Four joining forces for the very first time.
Valentin B - 22.05.2010 at 23:54
Written by Daggon on 22.05.2010 at 23:53

lol i can imagine some moshing is gonna take place in the cinemas haha
Daggon - 22.05.2010 at 23:58
Written by Valentin B on 22.05.2010 at 23:54

Written by Daggon on 22.05.2010 at 23:53

lol i can imagine some moshing is gonna take place in the cinemas haha

Oh yeah, that's what I thought at first sight, cinemas aren't a place for metalheads and their need for moshing hahaha, I've foreseen it, some heads are gonna roll
Fat & Sassy! - 23.05.2010 at 00:26
Written by Valentin B on 22.05.2010 at 23:54

Written by Daggon on 22.05.2010 at 23:53

lol i can imagine some moshing is gonna take place in the cinemas haha

I know. I'm totally gonna go see this, and I can't imagine what kind of experience it'll be! :O
the stranger - 23.05.2010 at 06:31
Why is Mexico the only country of Latin America?
Warlock84 - 23.05.2010 at 07:18
Why the FUCK is Shitallica on top as headliner??? Should definitely be Megadeth or Slayer.
In Bone Factory - 23.05.2010 at 11:21
Written by Warlock84 on 23.05.2010 at 07:18

perhaps coz that shitt is biger
Ag Fox - 23.05.2010 at 14:17
I thought Mustane doesn't tour with Metallica?
Chainer - 23.05.2010 at 17:49
Written by Lord_Regnier on 22.05.2010 at 22:43

Written by Chainer on 22.05.2010 at 22:28

Metal has become a hollow shell, a corpse without a soul.

I agree, I havent been in the scene for along time. But i've been around long enough to tell that alot of this "new" metal lacks the feeling of the good old bay area thrash. I totally agree with everything you've said except the statement about the fans. I mean you and I are here getting pissed about this bullshit, so im think that the fans are just as true to the music as they have ever been. Its some of these artists that sell out and bring a bunch of not-so-metal-so-called-fans that fuck everything up. O and I like the Mercyful Fate shout out, if it was intentional or not.
Lord_Regnier - 23.05.2010 at 19:13
Written by Chainer on 23.05.2010 at 17:49

Concerning the fans, I mean that many of them are what you're saying they are: not-so-metal-so-called-fans who fuck everything up by having low standards, rating and buying albums only by the name printed on the cover, mistaking hard rock and glam for metal, encouraging bands to go softer by liking mostly the ballads, knowing only mainstream metal bands and thinking it makes them knowledgeable about metal music, believing that only traditional heavy metal is real metal while Thrash, Death and Black Metal are all more metal (in the sense of being extreme).

And, more than everything else, committing the cardinal sin of not understanding the place of metal in society, the mentality behind it. Lots of people have knowledge about genres, bands, albums, etc but never understood what metal is about from a cultural point of view, its place and role in society. Metal is meant to be underground and marginal, criticize society, promote ideas that go against the established ideas, express freedom of thought, reject the economical enslavement our capitalist societies impose on us all the time, etc.
Metal is not a religion but a way of thought that is different from the established conventions.

Metal is not about being soft and gaining acceptance from the mainstream. Unfortunately, lots of fans these days have a mainstream and commercial mentality and don't see the problem when metal walks hand in hand with the corporate machine and capitalist system.
They can have knowledge about the music but they're totally ignorant as for what metal is about.

From my point of view, those people don't understand the first thing about metal.
They will probably label me as an elitist but those who label purists like me as elitists are no more than ignorant fools who have no idea what metal really is. Instead of acknowledging their ignorance, they blame purists (those who understand) for their 'elitist' attitude.

I'm aware that some people think that all this "metal is meant to be underground" talk is bullshit but those people are woefully misguided. Make metal a mainstream act and you will kill it. Simple as that.

As for the Mercyful Fate shout out, I didn't write it intentionally at all but I thought people will surely see it as some kind of pun when I wrote "A Corpse Without a Soul".
Chainer - 23.05.2010 at 19:53
Written by Lord_Regnier on 23.05.2010 at 19:13

Written by Chainer on 23.05.2010 at 17:49

I can't agree more, you've hit the nail on the head. So what are we supposed to do? Well we crawl back into our cave, crank it up, and kick some poser ass. I for one am not afraid to go all ManOwaR and fight for some metal. These people need to understand that bands (like the sell out big 4) are no longer metal, they have become mainstream and therefore lost what it means to be metal. Don't get me wrong i love their music, but i dont consider it true metal, people need to understand what metal really is, even if it takes people like us shoving it up their ass.

Chainer - 23.05.2010 at 19:58
Written by BitterCOld on 22.05.2010 at 23:21

No im not, mainly because the whole set list is included, this whole deal should have been relased as a dvd, not this "one time only" movie theater bullshit. How metal is a damn movie theater anyway, if ur gonna see the big 4 is should be at a concert or in the comfort of your own home. These guys have taken enough of our (mine included) money that they don't need to resort to these type of things, i don't know maybe im over reacting, but this just don't sit right with me.
BitterCOld - 23.05.2010 at 20:22
Written by Chainer on 23.05.2010 at 19:58

Written by BitterCOld on 22.05.2010 at 23:21

you feel that way... then don't watch. it's that simple.

seeing as it's a one-off gig, maybe other people feel differently. this provides them the opportunity.

i imagine for a lot of people, seeing them on a big movie screen on thumping THX trumps not seeing them at all. or seeing them on their home tv.

i mean people still go to movies, right, rather than just get shit via internet or buying the dvd at blockbuster. it's the same shit.

if they charge movie prices (or double, given the length), that's fine with me. now if they hit you up for concert ticket prices to attend what amounts to a movie, then i'd take issue.
-Morbid- - 23.05.2010 at 21:46
I'd go if it was at normal movie price, but $20? Fuck that.
Valentin B - 23.05.2010 at 22:45
Someone should make CamRip's just to piss Lars off
spiritofvengence - 24.05.2010 at 17:15
You all are just bitching about this because Metallica was fronting. If it had been Iron Maiden, Slayer, Megadeth and (were he still alive) Heaven and Hell, you'd be saying it was the best thing in the world!
BitterCOld - 24.05.2010 at 19:18
Written by spiritofvengence on 24.05.2010 at 17:15

we ALL are?

maybe we can hold a Metalstorm bake sale to help you buy a clue.
spiritofvengence - 24.05.2010 at 20:22
Yes, we all are

(btw, your abusing your powers as an administrator by trolling about without retribution or hinderance, because you can and your little iron-maiden-fan-boys can fuck with me but i can't do likewise or else you threaten me with banning)
Arian Totalis - 24.05.2010 at 21:32
I'ma have that shit pre-ordered and I'm gonna camp outside the theater the night before just to make sure I can get in.
BitterCOld - 25.05.2010 at 01:04
Written by spiritofvengence on 24.05.2010 at 20:22

Yes, we all are

how am i trolling? i posted a counter to (another) baseless point made by you.

you said "all"

i had previously posted my point... and it was defending the arrangement. so my standpoint does not line up with your assertion.

you, hoss, are the troll. showing up and attempting to piss people off by making useless statements that are incorrect... such as earlier this thread.

the thing is, the "iron maiden fan boys" don't fuck with you so much as you toss inflammatory statements around. your goal is to fuck with them, then you nail yourself up on a big cross when someone responds. "look at me! i'm being persecuted for being different!" back in reality, people are disagreeing with you because you are an asshat.
spiritofvengence - 25.05.2010 at 03:03
Written by BitterCOld on 25.05.2010 at 01:04

Written by spiritofvengence on 24.05.2010 at 20:22

Yes, we all are

how am i trolling? i posted a counter to (another) baseless point made by you.

you said "all"

you call me a dick? what about your response doesn't scream 'i'm an iron-maiden-fan-boy and i will fuck with anyone who says anything i don't like about iron maiden, dio, slayer, or who sticks up for metallica and bands i hate'

you know what, you and your pop-metal-posers can all just take a number and step in line, cuz you're not the first ass-holes to fucking hate me!
BitterCOld - 25.05.2010 at 03:13
Written by spiritofvengence on 25.05.2010 at 03:03

exactly when and where did i call you a "dick"? i referred to you as Hoss... which is not an insult so far as I can tell.

and if you re-read the thread, i stood up for the concept of the gig. in short, i defended Metallica et all for providing others the opportunity to see this show - so long as it was priced as a movie rather than a typical concert ticket. (it is. $20 for 4 hours is better than industry average $10 for 90 minutes)

i don't hate you. i pity you. i really do. you are a sad, pathetic little person that cannot stand the fact other people have different opinions than them and feel the need to shout down anyone whose tastes differ.

and the irony of that "pop-metal-posers" bit is too much. way too much.
Lord_Regnier - 25.05.2010 at 14:18
Written by spiritofvengence on 25.05.2010 at 03:03

Pop-metal posers, coming from someone who defends Metallica?
Joke of the decade.

And one more time I can't help but underline it: there's nothing more ironic for me than being called a poser or whatever by mainstream-metal fans, while I'm listening almost exclusively to extreme and underground metal. As if old outdated bands who released nothing but shit for over two decades are the real metal. Laughable and pathetic. So many people are stuck in the 80s and absolutely unable to evolve and live with their time.

From my point of view, only Thrash, Doom, Death and Black Metal can be considered as pure and real metal nowadays. Traditional heavy metal and Powermetal have become too soft and hard rock-ish to be considered as metal, imo.
Powermetal often sounds like a different kind of pop music.
Doc Godin - 28.05.2010 at 21:49
Written by spiritofvengence on 25.05.2010 at 03:03

Calm down, have some dip.
This statement is a bit hypocritical, seeing as you lose it on anyone who doesn't agree that Metallica invented breathing. After skimming through the posts I've noticed that no one has mentioned Iron Maiden once yet...And just because we're not into Metallica does not make us Iron Maiden fanboys. A lot of people love Iron Maiden, get over it.

Wratchchild, the head mod is listed as a Metallica fan, and we don't pick on him because of it, we pick on him because he's French. Destroyah also wrote a positive review about Metallica's latest and I'm pretty sure he knows not everyone here is out to get him. Face it, you're just being incredibly neurotic.
Quote:

With the hormonal defensive attitude you sport, it's a very high probability we won't be the last.

In the words of the great Hypocrites himself: "Pull your head out of your ass."

Does anyone else find it really funny how he throws the word "pop metal" around as an insult, but then has Godsmack, Disturbed, System Of A Down, Avenged Sevenfold, and Nightwish listed as his favourite bands? This can be all summed up quite easily: You have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.
richg22 - 09.06.2010 at 14:24
I know that Picturehouse cinemas in the UK are broadcasting 'The Big Four' live via satellite. the website is www.picturehouses.co.uk/thebigfour

News The Big Four - US Pit Stop Date Announced! 6 25.01.2011 by Troy Killjoy
Metal arena The Second Big Four Of US Thrash Metal 5 09.08.2011 by
Melodic metal forum Doom Metal "Big Four" Petition Making The Rounds 5 25.05.2012 by Cynic Metalhead
Metal arena Favorite Thrash (*Not Including The Big Four*) 4.5 25.04.2011 by Guib
Albums VA - The Big Four: Live From Sofia, Bulgaria [DVD] 4.5 26.08.2010 by Array