Original news, posted on 20.07.2010

A three-minute edit of the song "Year Of The Rat", a brand new song from Norwegian metallers Tristania, is available for streaming at this location.

"Year Of The Rat" comes off the band's forthcoming album, Rubicon, which is scheduled for release via Napalm Records on the following dates:

Aug. 25 - Spain

06. Sirens
07. The Emerald Piper [bonus]
08. Vulture
09. Amnesia
10. Magical Fix
11. Illumination

UPDATE (thanks to ndawkn)

Tristania have finally uploaded some new tracks off the upcoming Rubicon. The songs "Year of the Rat", "Exile" and "Sirens" are now streaming on the band's MySpace page. Check them out and let us know what you think in the comment section below.

Source: blogs.myspace.com
Band profile: Tristania

Posted: 29.07.2010 by White Winter Sun

Comments

Susan - 20.07.2010 at 22:51
Hmm, I like it! Intriguing....

They have a new sound with each album and this time seems no different.
AnGina-- - 20.07.2010 at 23:34
Well, putting the sample altogether with the reviews of Rubicon, I got my hopes high again, so Rubicon better be real good I especially like the intro and the chorus, the piano melody accompanying the guitar riffs is just amazing. I like the aggressive approach, cause it blends really great with Maryangela's voice and that was just what I was hoping her, cause I never really liked her singing the older songs, but here she sounds amazing, she suits this sound of Tristania very well. If the rest of this album goes like this and doesn't fail to be diverse, it may be something to hold on.
corrupt - 20.07.2010 at 23:35
What the fuck? Corrupts just newly created musical abuse award in the category "most simplistic and predictable song structure ever" goes toooooooooooo? Tristania. Sorry Nightwish, but these guys just deserve it.
Ag Fox - 21.07.2010 at 01:46
I like the song
Janne - 21.07.2010 at 06:14
I could never really get into tristania.. probably this new album won't change anything in this fact, either :/
Jeeers - 21.07.2010 at 10:04
Fuckin' weak! Now I'm waiting for the new album with dread.... That's not Tristania. I like all of their albums even the latest, but this is just too mediocre. Ok, ok, we will see about other songs and then judge.
Slyfang - 21.07.2010 at 11:12
Oh no, not these "this is not tristania! we wan't old tristania back D:'" whiners again..
corrupt - 21.07.2010 at 12:18
Written by Slyfang on 21.07.2010 at 11:12

It's not even that anymore, I'd rather have them quit. But they just keep going on ridiculing what fame they had with cheap shit. Lacuna Coil is already there and we've seen how far the musical concept of Evanescence will bring a band. This is Avantasia/Nightwish/Theatre Of Tragedy/<insert band here> all over again. Instead of calling it quits in decency and being missed by faithful fans forever, they release one bag of shit after another until they vanish in mediocrity without anyone caring anymore.
Dark Cornatus - 21.07.2010 at 12:28
The song isn't terrible, it's not too bad actually, but entirely vocal / keyboard focused. Kind of reminds me of Leaves' Eyes, but even softer. Not really enough to make me want to hear more though.
Jeeers - 21.07.2010 at 13:10
Written by Slyfang on 21.07.2010 at 11:12

I'm not whining, I am just stating that this song is really weak. Actually I am usually very open-minded about "new vocalists" and "late albums". But if quality of the new material or vocal abilities are comparatively poor to older material?
Some bands just lose their identity and became flat when they original singer quits (Nightwish, Theatre Of Tragedy and very many others), some completely change, but remain solid like Black Sabbath, Flowing Tears, Amorphis, The Gathering for example. Some even get better.

The point is - "I like what I like!" Of course I miss "old" Tristania's voice and music - it was really good, but I'm waiting to hear the new material - it could be totally different - I can accept that, but GIVE ME SOMETHING WORTH LISTENING!!!

New song - that's just dissapointment for me.
wormwood - 21.07.2010 at 16:06
Hmm if this song was on the radio, i wouldn't change the station, however i wouldn't have it on my iPod.
it's a "meh" song. a very very "meh" song...
Dominus - 21.07.2010 at 17:34
Not bad. I expected something much worse
Carrion Misery - 21.07.2010 at 20:09
I'm gonna have to agree with Jeers. There's nothing wrong with being disappointed and let down by a band who changed their sound. It isn't an irrational notion. So there's no reason to put anyone down for it. For me, Tristania specifically quenched my thirst for an authentic Gothic atmosphere, choirs and operatic vocals performed to my taste. A band can do what they want as far as direction goes, but this new "sound" Tristania provides does not satisfy any of my cravings. In fact, it is off putting. I classify these vocals on the same skill level and pop factor as Brittany Spears (minus the catchy choruses). The music isn't that bad and it's possible I would like it w/ different vocals/ different band name. It's obvious they're trying to sell more CDs w/ this sound and that's fine. It is their choice to change their sound, it's my choice to not like it.
Enemy of Reality - 22.07.2010 at 00:13
Awful song
dismaleuphony - 23.07.2010 at 00:27
I can hear some lingering hints of the Illumination album in there, but this just does not have the depth and dreary atmosphere that I search for. I'm still curious as I have lots of respect for the band, so at this point I'll wait and see what the rest of the disc sounds like before I'll consider a purchase. The vocals are okay; I was fearing worse, but still not as exciting as I'd hoped.
AnGina-- - 23.07.2010 at 15:58
Well, if anyone cares, on Amazon you can hear the samples from all the songs:

Rubicon samples
Abattoir - 30.07.2010 at 18:56
Nice songs, but nothing special...though the album cover art is
The Shape 1973 - 01.08.2010 at 18:02
Not what I had hoped for, probably won't check out now. I was waiting for something interesting to happen. I'm still waiting.

News Wuthering Heights - New Album Details And New Song Online 5.5 08.02.2010 by Inlé
News Avenged Sevenfold - New Song Streaming Online 5.5 25.09.2012 by Dylan
News ICS Vortex - New Song Online 5.5 04.07.2011 by qlacs
News Defiance - New Song Posted Online 5.5 19.01.2008 by Bad English
News Suicidal Angels - New Song And Album Trailer Online 5.5 19.10.2010 by SKELETOR