Original news, published on 08.08.2010

Finnish soprano singer Tarja Turunen has premiered her new video for the song "I Feel Immortal" online. You can watch the new "I Feel Immortal" video below or at this location.

The video was shot in Iceland. In a statement on her website, Tarja wrote: "...it's going to be probably the most beautiful video I have ever done in my career. The country is just unbelievably amazing with its stunning landscapes, so we managed to find incredible places for shootings."

The single I Feel Immortal wil be exclusively released in Germany, Switzerland & Austria on 27th of August, and will also feature on Tarja's new album What Lies Beneath, to be released early September.

UPDATE

"Until My Last Breath", another new video from Tarja Turunen, can be viewed at this location.

The song is the first international single from her sophomore effort, What Lies Beneath, which is now being released on September 14, 2010 in the US via The End Records.

Source: theendrecords.com
Band profile: Tarja

Posted: 24.08.2010 by Elodie Artour

Comments

insanity.peppers - 08.08.2010 at 13:51
Song isn't bad. and she's still as lovely as ever
Permafrost - 08.08.2010 at 17:38
I hope there are heavier songs on the album than this.
Raziel X - 08.08.2010 at 18:18
Not bad but if the other songs arent a lot better it might as well be another disappointment, another album that is nice and lovely but soon to be forgotten

She should be wiser and join some established band and embellish them with her voice. Cos I have serious doubts about her songwriting abilities, or those of those who write some stuff for her
wormwood - 08.08.2010 at 20:01
Not bad at all, but it sounds like she's saying "i feel immoral"
Bad English - 08.08.2010 at 20:03
Written by insanity.peppers on 08.08.2010 at 13:51

Song isn't bad. and she's still as lovely as ever

She's getting old, look at her face

Video was good, song to
Elodie Artour - 08.08.2010 at 21:01
@K7: Don't be mean! She looks beautiful as always.

At first, I didn't enjoy the song much but it grew on me and I soon fell in love with it. "I Feel Immortal" sounds really beautiful and tender. It was actually composed for commercial purpose; that was the will of Universal Music, at least. I also like the video to it - so stunning! Iceland is definitely among the most beautiful places around the world.
ryche76 - 08.08.2010 at 23:48
Great Video. Location was fantastic and suited Tarja's image she has created for herself. Tarja is obviously going after commercial airplay with this song to build a bigger fan base and good luck to her. Lets hear what the new album is like as a whole before jumping to conclusions whether or not it is as good or if not better than "My Winter Storm". Good luck to Tarja, I will be buying "What Lies Beneath" as will many other fans.
Almagest - 09.08.2010 at 04:56
The song is not exactly a stroke of genius, but much better than I expected (or rather, feared). Probably as good as it gets for Tarja's current level of songwriting skill (I *would* have a few pieces of advice for her), and considering she was apparently expected to write a safe power ballad ready for radio play and MTV. At least a hint of her true vocal power here, too, and the ponderous mood and theme are most appreciated by me.

The video is quite gorgeous and clearly superior to the kind of videos I'm used to from metal bands.

Her make-up *is* a little heavy, though, isn't it?
The Shape 1973 - 09.08.2010 at 10:17
....and people complain that Nightwish has gone pop....
BudDa - 09.08.2010 at 10:21
Written by Bad English on 08.08.2010 at 20:03

She's getting old, look at her face

Video was good, song to

Haha. She is old..like really old. like Sarah-Jessica-Parker-OLD
Dark Blood - 09.08.2010 at 10:39
Not bad at all. This song is actually pretty good compared to some stuff she's done.
JÄY - 09.08.2010 at 17:00
Written by BudDa on 09.08.2010 at 10:21

Written by Bad English on 08.08.2010 at 20:03

She's getting old, look at her face

Video was good, song to

Haha. She is old..like really old. like Sarah-Jessica-Parker-OLD

I know! shes gotta be 30! omg!
velvet - 09.08.2010 at 20:46
No less heavy than many female led metal singles, and I expect the album will have far more guitar led songs. Buuuut - I rather liked the compositions on "My Winter Storm", which seems to be the minority opinion!

And I utterly agree with her pronunciation sounding more like 'immoral' in places
mariano - 10.08.2010 at 22:40
Written by The Shape 1973 on 09.08.2010 at 10:17

....and people complain that Nightwish has gone pop....

Yeah... Nightwish has gone pop and Tarja has gone completely soft
Dammit!
Hopefully, there will be heavy songs in the album.
RavenKing - 11.08.2010 at 13:44
Written by mariano on 10.08.2010 at 22:40

Written by The Shape 1973 on 09.08.2010 at 10:17

....and people complain that Nightwish has gone pop....

Yeah... Nightwish has gone pop and Tarja has gone completely soft
Dammit!
Hopefully, there will be heavy songs in the album.

If you're looking for heavy stuff, why wasting your time with Tarja and Nightwish?
mariano - 14.08.2010 at 03:14
Written by RavenKing on 11.08.2010 at 13:44

They used to rock ...long time ago
Wishmaster - 18.08.2010 at 04:20
Am I the only one who likes this song?
I think it's good she's not imitating Nightwish, because if she does, it would be pathetic! That reminds me of Ben Moody, Evanescence and We Are The Fallen.
Almagest - 23.08.2010 at 19:43
Yeah, when I first heard of the song, the title (originally just given as "Immortal") immediately made me think of Evanescence.

Uhh, newsflash: Tarja just got 33. So yeah, seems she actually looks younger than that if you estimate her as being 30 of age. omg

But I suppose you're teenagers, so 30 is like zomgshesasoldasmymom!!!1 for you.
JÄY - 24.08.2010 at 01:17
Written by Almagest on 23.08.2010 at 19:43

But I suppose you're teenagers, so 30 is like zomgshesasoldasmymom!!!1 for you.

i assume youre aiming that at my comment?

i was joking.... cause 30 ISNT old

the internet is a horrible vessel for sarcasm
Ellrohir - 24.08.2010 at 01:26
Written by The Shape 1973 on 09.08.2010 at 10:17

....and people complain that Nightwish has gone pop....

but...but...this is Tarja...the most talented singer in the world
annodomini - 24.08.2010 at 01:32
Written by Ellrohir on 24.08.2010 at 01:26

Written by The Shape 1973 on 09.08.2010 at 10:17

....and people complain that Nightwish has gone pop....

but...but...this is Tarja...the most talented singer in the world

I hope this was with a sarcasm.
Stabby - 24.08.2010 at 01:59
I like pop Nightwish, just so long as they have a couple of monster epic songs along with the pop, and they do. Tarja's songs are great too, though not as good.
HardSide - 24.08.2010 at 06:14
Eh, I loved when lucana coil and nightwish hit the scene those many years ago. Now it just boring music.
dismaleuphony - 24.08.2010 at 06:16
Decent music, and better than the last album for sure. But, I am unsure whether I'll pick it up unless I can hear the rest of the album first. I'm just not sold on her ballad/slow songs still... Great looking videos though
Susan - 24.08.2010 at 06:57
Ahh she sounds wonderful Purely beautiful song/video/lady. Seems like this will be a lovely album.
Ellrohir - 24.08.2010 at 09:29
Written by annodomini on 24.08.2010 at 01:32

Written by Ellrohir on 24.08.2010 at 01:26

Written by The Shape 1973 on 09.08.2010 at 10:17

....and people complain that Nightwish has gone pop....

but...but...this is Tarja...the most talented singer in the world

I hope this was with a sarcasm.

what do you think
advent - 24.08.2010 at 10:52
Written by Guest on 18.08.2010 at 04:20

Am I the only one who likes this song?

Same example that came to my mind
The Shape 1973 - 24.08.2010 at 11:08
Written by Ellrohir on 24.08.2010 at 01:26

Written by The Shape 1973 on 09.08.2010 at 10:17

....and people complain that Nightwish has gone pop....

but...but...this is Tarja...the most talented singer in the world

I know. She is so talented I heard that she was the first choice to replace Bon Scott even though she hadn't been born. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest wouldn't have had to call back their most famous frontmen as she could have done both jobs whilst writing hate mail to Annette Olson, ending world poverty and saving the trapped Chillian miners through song.
Damnated_Soul - 24.08.2010 at 11:39
Love both songs and Tarja still looks amazing
Ag Fox - 24.08.2010 at 12:31
Written by The Shape 1973 on 24.08.2010 at 11:08

Written by Ellrohir on 24.08.2010 at 01:26

Written by The Shape 1973 on 09.08.2010 at 10:17

....and people complain that Nightwish has gone pop....

but...but...this is Tarja...the most talented singer in the world

your comment just made my morning
Zenzero - 24.08.2010 at 13:32
I can't spend 15/18€ for an album that sound in this way!
Wishmaster - 24.08.2010 at 14:32
I like I Feel Immortal and Falling Awake, but I don't like this new song, it's... idk? Boring.
Jon - 24.08.2010 at 15:04
I surprised myself by liking "I Feel Immortal", but found it quite funny how they both start in the same way and both videos feature Tarja walking down beaches looking really reflective. "Until My Last Breath" is boring, bog-standard gothic rock/ metal a'la Flowing Tears, Lacuna Coil etc.
kvlt - 24.08.2010 at 15:28
Videos are OK songs are a bit less OK
She's got to ask Mike Terrana to show some hard stuff
Orphan Saint - 24.08.2010 at 16:02
While I was just a hair shy of heartbroken when Nightwish fired Tarja, I listen to these songs and realize why the made their decision. The songwriting and lackluster musicianship in these two songs and the album before them do nothing to remind me why I loved her as a part of Nightwish. Yes, her voice is beautiful. But it falls far too short in masking the over all blandness of the final product.

I know this all seems obscenely negative and fully respect that there are many people who will not agree with me. To each his own, more power to us all. But I can not help but feel that she should have shown proper respect to Tuomas Holopainen and crew and realized that without them, nobody would have a clue who she was. Unfortunately, with each passing song I am slowly starting to forget.

Of course, Annette still has to follow up the brilliance of Dark Passion Play.

I will still be checking this album out in full upon release. I do hope that at least some of the songs will help to reignite the fire that I felt listening to Tarja's voice. I do have exceptionally high hopes for the track featuring Joe Satriani. Here's hoping Satch and my fellow Finn can make some magic happen.
The Shape 1973 - 24.08.2010 at 16:29
Written by Orphan Saint on 24.08.2010 at 16:02

Of course, Annette still has to follow up the brilliance of Dark Passion Play.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Apart from the last paragraph, I've heard enough already.
The Shape 1973 - 24.08.2010 at 16:35
Written by Ag Fox on 24.08.2010 at 12:31

Written by The Shape 1973 on 24.08.2010 at 11:08

Written by Ellrohir on 24.08.2010 at 01:26

Written by The Shape 1973 on 09.08.2010 at 10:17

....and people complain that Nightwish has gone pop....

but...but...this is Tarja...the most talented singer in the world

your comment just made my morning

Thats what I'm here to do.

I still can't believe the fanboyism on other Nightwish threads and Youtube. Ellrohir's sarcasm made me smile.
Ag Fox - 24.08.2010 at 16:37
Written by The Shape 1973 on 24.08.2010 at 16:35

Written by Ag Fox on 24.08.2010 at 12:31

Written by The Shape 1973 on 24.08.2010 at 11:08

Written by Ellrohir on 24.08.2010 at 01:26

Written by The Shape 1973 on 09.08.2010 at 10:17

....and people complain that Nightwish has gone pop....

but...but...this is Tarja...the most talented singer in the world

your comment just made my morning

Thats what I'm here to do.

haha, most comments on youtube are pretty retarted
Elodie Artour - 24.08.2010 at 18:47
I find the idea of shooting two videos at similar/nearly the same places a bit weird but otherwise, I like the second clip, too. Musically speaking though, I prefer "I Feel Immortal". Anyways, both songs are catchy.
4look4rd - 24.08.2010 at 19:08
I really like both songs, specially the second one.
Raziel X - 24.08.2010 at 20:39
One point - the simple fact of her songs being "different than Nightwish" doesnt automatically mean it is good as well... yes, her stuff is different from NW, but NOT different from a lot of mainstream rock/metal, nothing exceptional... her stuff is more of "neat but forgettable", it is nice to listen to, but ultimately I prefer a lot of better things... I call this a waste of talent... Winter Storm wasnt bad, but forgettable as well... this one sounds a pinch better from the songs, but still, neat but forgettable... she is one of my fav female singers, so the more it is sad for me to see her wasting her talent like this, she needs a GOOD SONGWRITER!!!
wormwood - 24.08.2010 at 22:01
Zzzzzzzzz...
blackvelvet - 25.08.2010 at 00:13
Written by wormwood on 08.08.2010 at 20:01

Not bad at all, but it sounds like she's saying "i feel immoral"

Actually, she's using the american pronounciation, the "t" is softer.
P.S: I've seen your pic, you're cute!! XD
Bad English - 25.08.2010 at 00:15
Like old Nightwish Just like I predict years ago... if she contunue like this, maybe lil more metal, she will kick NW ass, Nightwish be only name from past, she's personality
wormwood - 25.08.2010 at 02:55
Written by blackvelvet on 25.08.2010 at 00:13

Written by wormwood on 08.08.2010 at 20:01

Not bad at all, but it sounds like she's saying "i feel immoral"

Actually, she's using the american pronounciation, the "t" is softer.
P.S: I've seen your pic, you're cute!! XD

thanks
4look4rd - 25.08.2010 at 22:39
Written by Bad English on 25.08.2010 at 00:15

Some of her music really reminds me of Angels Fall First. I really hope that she goes back to her roots and release an entire album like that.
Almagest - 29.08.2010 at 00:43
Written by JÄY on 24.08.2010 at 01:17

Written by Almagest on 23.08.2010 at 19:43

But I suppose you're teenagers, so 30 is like zomgshesasoldasmymom!!!1 for you.

i assume youre aiming that at my comment?

i was joking.... cause 30 ISNT old

the internet is a horrible vessel for sarcasm

Yeah, the problem is that you can never know if a retarded comment is sarcastic or really serious. Sad reflection on the state of teh internets.

So no, those singles aren't masterpieces that redefine music, but I've never expected that (I didn't care for UMLB, either), you'd be out of your mind to approach them like that. What's much more pathetic, though, is the Holopainen fanboys who go "OMG Tarja's nothing without Tuomas' songwriting and that shit isnt tr00 methulz, it suxx!1!!1one", failing to realise how much his ZOMG epic songwriting has itself gone down the gutter ever since Oceanborn. Tarja at least doesn't claim to make metal, but NW still refuse to admit their music is barely different from Indica by now. If I want great, artistically relevant symphonic metal, I sure won't listen to NW.
Lovecraft - 19.09.2010 at 03:40
Is that Iceland? What a beautiful place!

News Tarja Turunen - New Single, Video And Album 9 07.10.2007 by destroyah