Dave Machander, touring drummer for Annihilator on Refresh the Demon Europe tour 1996, has sadly lost his battle with cancer. Annihilator mainman Jeff Waters released the following statement:

"A few weeks ago (while I was touring in Europe), I got word that we lost a former member of Annihilator's touring lineup, Dave Machander. He passed away from cancer.

Dave was a super nice guy. I met him under stressful circumstances. In 1996, we did a record called Refresh The Demon. Randy Black was our drummer then and I had bought everyone's plane tickets for our upcoming Refresh the Demon EUROPE tour 1996.

12 days BEFORE the tour weas supposed to start, I get a call from Randy telling me that, if I did not pay him dounle+ the money I was to pay him for the tour, that he would not come along and would join another Vancouver artist "Bif Naked" instead (as she apparently was offering more money). I told him that we could not afford this and that it is very, very wrong to hold us "hostage" like this. He ended up leaving for Bif Naked (which ended up lasting one tour and he was out anyway!) but, more importantly, Randy Black left us with NO DRUMMER, a cancelled flight that I did not get my money back for and a tour in 12 days!!!

12 days is wayyyy too short of a time to get someone to jump in and play an Annihilator set and I still had to hope I could find someone!!

Dave Davis, our long-time guitar player, suggested his friend Dave Machander and thought he could handdle the gig/pressure. I was not convinced but had no other option than to literally say "you are in", before I even heard him play drums!

We rehearsed on Vancouver Island, near where both Dave's lived. We had 6 rehearsals scheduled. Normally, for a drummer with us, headlining Europe, we would need 10 reherasals.

Many drummers play along with a "click". That is a cowbell kind of sound that keeps a time/beat in the drummer's earphones and lets him play close to perfect timing... it helps him zoom in and play tighter than without one. Well, Dave was not playing well to it. Turns out, he had never played to one before. I was in panic mode. So was everyone else. So by the 4th rehearsal of 6, I was ready to cancel. Almost. Then Dave Davis said "Jeff, why don't we simply take Machander OFF the click and let him just "feel" the music".

I said "Might as well try, Dave".

We did. INSTANTLY, the guy played fantastic. Really good. Better than good. He then really only had 2 good rehersals with us and then got on the plane with us and kicked f...ing ass on that tour. The guy pulled through and stuck with it. Most guys would have quit after the first few rehearsals but he would not give up. And thanks to Dave Davis for the tour-saving suggestion!

Anyway, I only saw/knew Dave Machander on that one tour with us. He was a bio-chemist, if I have my info right. A very smart guy and seemed to be a very nice guy, too! Send a thought out to him and his family. He was a good guy. And grab a loved one and give them a hug."

Source: annihilatormetal.com
Band profile: Annihilator

Posted: 09.12.2010 by Terror stricken

Comments

Elodie Artour - 09.12.2010 at 16:53
It seems like the guy indeed was decent...

RIP!
JD - 09.12.2010 at 17:20
can't believe it anymore!
Dargor - 09.12.2010 at 17:27
An other one passed away... I didn't know the guy but it's always sad news.
I'm pretty sure MS will come up with a list of all the metal musicians who passed away this year, and it won't be fun to read.
Darkside Momo - 09.12.2010 at 17:28
One more to pass away this year... Thank goodness 2010 is nearly over.
Bad English - 09.12.2010 at 17:52
One more....what the fuck is wring whit 2010 and metalhead deaths?
PrimalAntagonist - 09.12.2010 at 18:18
Good god.........what the fuck is up with 2010 and metal?????????????
Vegard R - 09.12.2010 at 21:54
It is nothing wrong with 2010! It's just that these guys from the 60's, 70's and 80's begins to get old now. And when people get old, the chances for fatal diseases like cancer and heartfailures increases. This is just the beginning, cause many more will follow the coming years, unfortunately. And, when you reckon musicians that just have been tour musicians, or just joined a band as a guest artist on one album, there are ten thousands of musicians. Of course some of them die too young. That isn't just bad luck, it is normal statistics compared to "regular" people. Yes, it is tragically as hell, but people gotta start accept the facts, not just think this is a bad year..
flamesoficarus - 09.12.2010 at 22:26
Thats a really nice write up by Jeff.
RIP dude
Kuroboshi - 10.12.2010 at 00:01
I second Vegard.

RIP
Vitriolic Hate - 10.12.2010 at 01:52
Another one RIP...
LeChron James - 10.12.2010 at 04:41
Fucking sucks. R.I.P.

and FUCK Randy Black for ditching Annihilator to play with bif fucking naked. Jokes of humans.
Black Conundrum - 11.12.2010 at 21:08
He seemed like a worthy human being. That is quite an interesting story behind his part in the history of the band. RIP.
RavenKing - 11.12.2010 at 21:33
Written by Vegard R on 09.12.2010 at 21:54

Indeed. It has nothing to do with 2010 or any curse aimed at metalheads. It has everything to do with age (though we could say Nergal is a special case, as he is quite young to fight such cancer -it's really bad luck here). Unfortunately, it means it probably won't stop. Like you, I believe it is only the beginning.

All this doesn't make the situation less sad but, like you, I think there is nothing wrong with 2010. I think what is happening is logical and normal.
Also, people neglect the fact that metallers aro not models when it comes to healthy lifestyle and it doesn't really help, in terms of life expectancy.

What is different with metal is people are not used to it yet. Actors, singers, sportsmen, athletes, pop artists, etc die every week but people are used to it. Metal being a relatively recent phenomenon, it is only now that artists from this scene are getting old.
Vegard R - 11.12.2010 at 22:00
Yeah, I totally agree with you, man, every word..! Off course, Nergal's case is really bad luck, it's a shame something like that can happen to such young people.

News Manowar - Former Drummer Passed Away 7 05.04.2011 by Jack---
News Cerebral Fix - Drummer Passed Away 5.5 28.12.2009 by thesabbathfan
News The Heretic - Drummer Passed Away 5.5 15.06.2010 by
News Seraphim - Former Vocalist Passed Away 5.5 03.08.2011 by Carl Berg
News Crimson Glory - Former Singer Midnight Passed Away 5.5 09.07.2009 by Icedburden