Swedish band Katatonia have revealed the following update:

Quote:

20 years of Katatonia going strong calls for a celebration and we'll be doing just that by throwing five very special anniversary gigs in Europe this coming May presented as the 'Last Fair Day Gone Night - An Evening With Katatonia' tour 2011.

We've decided to play the entire 'Last Fair Deal Gone Down' album front to back as that's the one album that got us true worldwide recognition for the first time, but 2011 is also the album's 10th anniversary so re-visiting this album seems more fitting than any other record we've done. A second set will follow that will see us play a mix of tracks from the rest of our catalogue. We'll be doing some fan favourites classics but also look into a couple of obscure B-sides and such that we've never or hardly played live before. Together you should get over two hours of live music on this last fair day gone night.

Besides the standard tickets, which will go on sale this Wednesday Jan 19th, we've decided to reserve 70 tickets per show for VIP's who will be up for some real nice treats.

If you're one of those VIP's you will receive a Katatonia tour messenger bag upon arrival filled with exclusive items such as a t-shirt exclusive to that particular show, an exclusive VIP laminate, a + 20 page tour programme (that we're all busy writing as I'm typing this), a ltd edition vinyl of our latest album 'Night is The New Day' and a bunch more cool Katatonia merch items.

But that's not all; all VIP's will have a dedicated meet 'n greet with the whole band so we can shake hands, have your picture taken and hang out for a chat! After that you can watch us sound check for about an hour where you'll hear some songs from the set list and watch us prepare the show. Then it's dinner time so you can go out and grab a bite while you'll be confident to learn that your VIP laminate will allow you back inside the venue a bit earlier than anyone else, so you'll have a smooth and free picking to where you like to position yourself.

Last but not least; right now we're very busy talking to all our equipment endorsers for them to make some goods available that we'll combine into one 'grand prize'! All VIP's will automatically enter into a draw for one lucky guy or girl to win this ultimate prize, which we'll reveal the details about in the next coming weeks. See it as a nice extra bonus already and you can't get disappointed….

Head over to the tour dates for more detailed information. VIP tickets are on sale as of now and standard tickets will go up on sale this Wednesday.

If you chose to get a VIP ticket you should be prepared to be at the venue around 2pm on show day. Exact times will vary per show but you'll be notified in advance of all confirmed details.

We hope you're just as much excited about this special celebration as we are! See you at the show and lets have a toast for the last fair day gone night!

Tour dates as follows:

May 4, 2011 - Kulturfabrik - Luxembourg, Luxembourg
May 5, 2011 - Stollwerck - Cologne, Germany
May 6, 2011 - Koko - London, UK
May 7, 2011 - De Kade - De Kade, The Netherlands
May 8, 2011 - Alhambra - Paris, France

Source: katatonia.com
Band profile: Katatonia
Event: Last Fair Day Gone Night - An Evening With Katatonia

Posted: 20.01.2011 by Abattoir

Comments

TheBigRossowski - 20.01.2011 at 16:42
(speechless, yet happy in the pants)

Katatonia abides!

!J.O.O.E.! - 20.01.2011 at 17:58
I'm so there it hurts. Shame they aren't playing the whole of Viva Emptiness though.
Mr. Doctor - 20.01.2011 at 18:01
Seriously wtf.... No dates for sweden or denmark... I have to see those guys and I can't take a goddamn plane AGAIN. I don't take money out of my ass you know...
Dark Blood - 20.01.2011 at 19:25
LOL easy Doc.
I wonder if there's a 20th Anniversary DVD with these gigs coming out. It'd be nice...
Abattoir - 20.01.2011 at 19:37
Written by Dark Blood on 20.01.2011 at 19:25

LOL easy Doc.

Well, it is coming....the show in London will be filmed for a DVD (which I forgot to mention in the news I guess).
Slayer666 - 20.01.2011 at 19:49
Entire "Last Fair Deal Gone Down", with no special mention of either "Discouraged Ones", "Tonight's Decision", "Brave Murder Day", or "Dance of December Souls"? Katatonia is one of my all-time favorite bands, but I wouldn't attend this show even if they played in my backyard and gave me a free ticket.
!J.O.O.E.! - 20.01.2011 at 19:51
Written by Slayer666 on 20.01.2011 at 19:49

Quote:
Slayer666 - 20.01.2011 at 19:55
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 20.01.2011 at 19:51

Quote:

Which translates to:
All the shite from "The Great Cold Distance" and "Viva Emptiness". For some reason I can't fathom, they tend to play stuff from these two the most, and these two I find to be Katatonia's very worst.
!J.O.O.E.! - 20.01.2011 at 19:56
Written by Slayer666 on 20.01.2011 at 19:55

Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 20.01.2011 at 19:51

Quote:

Which translates to:

Don't go then. I'm sure they'll get over it.
Array - 20.01.2011 at 19:57
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 20.01.2011 at 19:56

Written by Slayer666 on 20.01.2011 at 19:55

Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 20.01.2011 at 19:51

Quote:

Which translates to:

Don't go then. I'm sure they'll get over it.

Marcel Hubregtse - 20.01.2011 at 19:58
Shame though that Katatonia live is one of the most boring bands ever. Seen them a couple of times live now and every time they put me to sleep. Might as well just put on their albums at home. And I yes I am a big Katatonia fan although Night Is The New Day was an immensely boring letdown.
Slayer666 - 20.01.2011 at 19:59
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 20.01.2011 at 19:56

Written by Slayer666 on 20.01.2011 at 19:55

Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 20.01.2011 at 19:51

Quote:

Which translates to:

Don't go then. I'm sure they'll get over it.

Me too. I wish you a good time on the gig.
EDIT: at the gig. Fuck, I'm tired.
ravendeath - 20.01.2011 at 20:19
Shit! Not even near to Slovenia?! Their last show was one of the most amazing shows I ever seen!! And beside this they'll gona play the whole "last fair deal...".So sad...
Mr. Doctor - 20.01.2011 at 20:27
Written by Slayer666 on 20.01.2011 at 19:55

Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 20.01.2011 at 19:51

Quote:

Which translates to:
All the shite from "The Great Cold Distance" and "Viva Emptiness".

I highly doubt so. I'll bet they will do the same thing as Opeth did: Playing the entire Blackwater Park and then one song from each album. Seeing those bands are quite related, it doesn't surprise that they do the exact same thing.

Quote:

Sorry but this is sort of dumb since the reason to why they wil play that entire album is really obvious.
Also... I disagree with the Viva Emptiness part. The great cold distance was rather weak but Viva Emptiness is easily one of their strongest albums. The weakest I've heard (since I haven't heard their latest) would be Tonight's Decision, pretty meh sometimes. It was interesting how the two songs that were featured in the Live Consternation were WAAAY better than the studio version.
microieva - 20.01.2011 at 22:26
Awww....no Helsinki... ((
advent - 21.01.2011 at 10:36
Written by Mr. Doctor on 20.01.2011 at 20:27

Written by Slayer666 on 20.01.2011 at 19:55

Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 20.01.2011 at 19:51

Quote:

Which translates to:
All the shite from "The Great Cold Distance" and "Viva Emptiness".

I agree with u in the Opeth part, this what i thought also
Slayer666 - 21.01.2011 at 13:10
Written by Mr. Doctor on 20.01.2011 at 20:27

Written by Slayer666 on 20.01.2011 at 19:55

Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 20.01.2011 at 19:51

Quote:

Which translates to:
All the shite from "The Great Cold Distance" and "Viva Emptiness".

Quote:

I agree, and that's what bothers me.

Oh, sure, never mind that stuff before this album is brilliant, the important thing is, you gained popularity with that one and the crap after it ("Night is The New Day" excluded, that one is pretty good). Way to go, Renkse, you da man!
I realize they have to cater to the majority of fans, but to me, Katatonia stopped being Katatonia after "Tonight's Decision". Although, as I said, "Night..." is a good comeback.
Anyway, that's just the way I see it, no need for a further discussion on the subject.
Mr. Doctor - 21.01.2011 at 17:36
Written by Slayer666 on 21.01.2011 at 13:10

This part is just wrong. Since when is his fault that Katatonia didn't get popular with the first 4 albums?

On a side note... People should get over the fact that music IS business. It's obvious that they would make such a gig for the album that maked the big. I was also sort of pissed off with Opeth because They could have done the entire Still Life instead of Blackwater Park which I think is a bit overrated but hey... that's how business works.

Night is the new day being a comeback is a nice joke though. It seems obvious that we percieve the band differently since Tonight's desicion for me is bleak and I don't see it as a good thing but instead of an album that doesn't make me feel a thing. On the other hand I don't see LFDGD as such a huge change in sound but more like a natural evolution, same goes for Viva Emptiness, being a major favorite for most of the people it seems. They started to go downhill with The last two sadly.
!J.O.O.E.! - 21.01.2011 at 18:21
I personally find it odd that anyone can have such opposing opinions of Last Fair Deal, Tonight's Decision and Viva as they all exhibit similar songwriting and style, particularly Tonight and Last Fair. I personally see those two as the ironing out period before they peaked with Viva.
Marcel Hubregtse - 22.01.2011 at 00:30
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 21.01.2011 at 18:21

well peaked is a bit of a bold statement because imo they peaked with Brave Murder Day then changed sound to more or less peak again with Viva (great album btw) and then died out like a coandle with first the Great Cold Distance and then the utterly boring Night Is The New Day.
Of the new Katatonia period Viva Empiteness is by far the most dynamic and exciting of the albums.
Unfrtunately Renkse fucked up his voice real good with his screaming and grunting and therefore almost no songs of Brave and earlier are ever played live. He just can't handle them. Just compre that with Nick Holmes of Paradise Lost who also fucked up his voice early opn in thier career.
Mr. Doctor - 22.01.2011 at 00:51
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.01.2011 at 00:30

Nyström could do the vocals for the old songs imo. It doesn't sound like a bad idea considering Diabolical Masquerade.
About thesecond Katatonia period... Viva Emptiness is definitely the most dynamic as you said althoygh I have a soft spot for Discouraged Ones, I just like how it flows so good., not like all the songs sounds the same but rather keep the same mood for the entire album and I like that.
Slayer666 - 22.01.2011 at 18:53
Written by Mr. Doctor on 21.01.2011 at 17:36

Written by Slayer666 on 21.01.2011 at 13:10

This is fucking ridiculous. I'm not going to further explain every sentence. If you can't understand what I meant to say, your problem. I'm not going to debate this any further.
Mr. Doctor - 22.01.2011 at 19:18
Written by Slayer666 on 22.01.2011 at 18:53

Jeez man, take a chill pill.

News Katatonia - 'Viva Emptiness' 10th Anniversary Reissue And Tour 6 19.06.2013 by IronArkadius666
News Freedom Call - 15th Anniversary Tour Announced 4 20.02.2013 by Bad English
News Watain - 13th Year Anniversary Shows Announced 4 23.09.2011 by DerRozzengarten
News Epica - To Celebrate 10th Anniversary With Special Performance 4 14.09.2012 by PocketMetal
News Neurotic Deathfest 2013 - 10th Anniversary Edition First Bands Announced 4 06.12.2012 by AyΣm