Moar Mastodon news!!!

Heavy rock innovators Mastodon are currently in the studio recording the follow-up to their ground-breaking concept album Crack The Skye, one of the most critically lauded albums of the past decade.

The band is currently recording at Doppler Studios in their hometown of Atlanta with producer Mike Elizondo. Drum tracks have been previously completed in Los Angeles at the legendary Sound City Studios where Nirvana's masterwork Nevermind was recorded.

Mastodon can also now confirm a pair of new songs: "Blasteroids," and "All The Heavy Lifting" will be featured on the new disc which will be release later this year.

As with all of their albums, Mastodon, which is bassist/vocalist Troy Sanders, guitarist/vocalist Brent Hinds, guitarist Bill Keliher, and drummer Brann Dailor, will take a different tack and musical approach to the music on this outing.

Source: mastodonrocks.com
Band profile: Mastodon

Posted: 24.05.2011 by Thryce

Comments

BloodTears - 24.05.2011 at 14:31
Will it be about exercise?

It seems like it
koob - 24.05.2011 at 15:05
There must be something I don't get about Mastodon, they sound way overrated to me...
Chidder - 24.05.2011 at 15:10
Written by koob on 24.05.2011 at 15:05

Same here. I have no idea what is so innovative in their music...
Daydream Nation - 24.05.2011 at 16:00
Written by Chidder on 24.05.2011 at 15:10

Written by koob on 24.05.2011 at 15:05

Same here. I have no idea what is so innovative in their music...

Their music ISN'T innovative. You are right.
Unhealer - 24.05.2011 at 17:27
Written by Guest on 24.05.2011 at 16:00

Written by Chidder on 24.05.2011 at 15:10

Written by koob on 24.05.2011 at 15:05

Same here. I have no idea what is so innovative in their music...

Their music ISN'T innovative. You are right.

Maybe they are not innovators but they are pretty damn good at what they do.

I think that label is because they became very famous thanks to the support and respect they got from bigger bands (Ok, just for touring with Metallica) and so the style is "innovative" for those who never heard sludgy/prog/metal/whatever music.

However these guys are totally awesome and they totally deserve the attention they have nowadays

I fully understood Mastodon with the record Leviathan, what a masterpiece...
Really looking forward for this one
malaikat - 24.05.2011 at 17:44
@ koob, Chidder

Well, what albums did you listen to? Personally, I think that LEVIATHAN and BLOOD MOUNTAIN are masterpieces. CRACK THE SKYE, however, feels rather meek and forcingly "original" to me. They are very diverse band which takes a lot of time to get into, so you should really check some of their other (older) albums.
Kwis - 24.05.2011 at 18:18
Mastodon are absolute pioneers in the world of metal. Listen to Leviathan from start to finish and tell me you don't agree. *Waiting for someone to disagree*
DorianGray - 24.05.2011 at 18:44
I agree with Malaikat on this one
Cannot wait for the new album !
DoomGuard - 24.05.2011 at 18:58
Written by Unhealer on 24.05.2011 at 17:27

Written by Guest on 24.05.2011 at 16:00

Written by Chidder on 24.05.2011 at 15:10

Written by koob on 24.05.2011 at 15:05

Same here. I have no idea what is so innovative in their music...

Their music ISN'T innovative. You are right.

Maybe they are not innovators but they are pretty damn good at what they do.

I fully understood Mastodon with the record Leviathan, what a masterpiece...
Really looking forward for this one

I didn't know what the big deal with them either, and I didn't like their older albums that much. In fact even now Crack The Skye is the only album I like from them, I find the others to be bland in comparison to their CTS album.

Hopefully this album is more like their CTS album
Lit. - 24.05.2011 at 19:21
I really don't care what musical direction they take, I have faith in Mastodon.
Can't wait.
JD - 24.05.2011 at 19:26
Let's just see what's gonna happened.
Super_Greg - 24.05.2011 at 19:35
Written by Kwis on 24.05.2011 at 18:18

Idk, I have friends that rant and rave about them. I can't ever finish listening to their cds; they get so boring and tedious right around the middle of their albums. Their only one I can finish is Remission.
Guib - 24.05.2011 at 19:37
Personally I prefered Remission and Leviathan ... over Crack the Skye and Blood Mountain even though they're both great albums.. can't wait for the next one.
MechanisT - 24.05.2011 at 20:20
What's up with the weird song titles?
Tsukaikatte - 24.05.2011 at 21:30
They are innovative because they do concept albums were most ppl dont. King Diamond has been makeing concept albums since the 80's, and compare mastodon to other hard rock bands mastodon does have a completly unique outlook on the way they write it. And if no one has seen their dvd "The Workhorse Chronicles" Id suggest it even if you dont like mastodon.
Death_95 - 24.05.2011 at 22:27
Written by malaikat on 24.05.2011 at 17:44

@ koob, Chidder

Mastodon is my 3rd favorite band of all time, but I disagree with you. I think Crack The Skye is without a doubt their best album, followed by Blood Mountain.
koob - 25.05.2011 at 00:48
Written by malaikat on 24.05.2011 at 17:44

@ koob, Chidder

I listened to Blood Moutain which I found really annoying, Crack The Skye which, I must agree, had some awesome songs (The Czar, The Last Baron) and only listened a few songs from Leviathan because I was bored with the two aforementioned albums. I might give their first two albums a try, maybe I'm wrong who knows !
The Voyager - 25.05.2011 at 04:58
Written by MechanisT on 24.05.2011 at 20:20

What's up with the weird song titles?

Exactly my first thought when I read it. It actually concerns me a little. That might be crazy, but it gave me a touch of skepticism about this album.
malaikat - 25.05.2011 at 10:52
Written by Death_95 on 24.05.2011 at 22:27

Written by malaikat on 24.05.2011 at 17:44

@ koob, Chidder

Nah, I know that CtS is a (very) good album in general, but it's just not my cup of tea concerning Mastodon sound. I do like Ghost of Karelia, Divinations and Quintiessence a lot, but the other songs just don't work for me, that's it.
MechanisT - 25.05.2011 at 17:14
Written by The Voyager on 25.05.2011 at 04:58

Written by MechanisT on 24.05.2011 at 20:20

What's up with the weird song titles?

Exactly. Thing is, looking at the song titles, I'm expecting a more straightforward stoner sound from Mastodon in their forthcoming album. I for one would be pretty bummed if that is the case, because what sets them apart from others in this genre in my opinion are the progressive vibes in their music, which I enjoy highly. Having said that, I hope I'm proved wrong.
Daydream Nation - 25.05.2011 at 17:58
Anyone wondering if they'll be able to get through the entirety of Mastodon's new album without being bored out of their minds?
!J.O.O.E.! - 25.05.2011 at 18:30
Written by Guest on 25.05.2011 at 17:58

Anyone wondering if Daydream Nation will be able to stop whinging about Mastodon?
Daydream Nation - 25.05.2011 at 19:33
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 25.05.2011 at 18:30

Written by Guest on 25.05.2011 at 17:58

I've only posted twice, bahahaha.
!J.O.O.E.! - 25.05.2011 at 19:39
Written by Guest on 25.05.2011 at 19:33

I've only posted twice, bahahaha.

In a thread of a band you obviously have no interest in, the latter response clearly designed to illicit a reaction ;]
Daydream Nation - 25.05.2011 at 19:54
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 25.05.2011 at 19:39

Written by Guest on 25.05.2011 at 19:33

I've only posted twice, bahahaha.

My comment was a little snarky, haha. And it elicited your reaction, haha
Well, here's the thing. I DO plan to listen to Mastodon's newest album without reference to their other albums in the past and rate it fairly based on its merits. I have found the other albums to be boring in the past- I stated my opinion because I saw many other metal fans share my opinion. In fact, I would argue they are one of the most divisive bands I have ever encountered; people love 'em or hate 'em. So yes, I do have an interest in the band simply because I want to experience metal music without ignoring bands because of their past. The new song titles make me wonder if they will be able to keep me attentive-- as MechanisT pointed out, they do seem indicative of a major shift in sound.
Daydream Nation - 25.05.2011 at 19:59
And sorry for the double post-- but the new track titles reminded me of the track titles from Rush's newest album for some reason. Maybe it might be a little more proggy than usual.

News Accept - Busy Recording New Album 7 31.10.2009 by Derwood