Official statement from the band

Stratovarius, one of the most successful Finnish acts with over 2.5 million albums sold, says farewell to longtime drummer Mr. Jörg Michael who will leave the band after 15 years for personal reasons. Jörg will play all the remaining tour dates until the end of January, and will celebrate with a special Finnish Farewell Jörg tour in Finland November 18th - 26th.

Jörg joined the band in 1995 and the first Stratovarius album he played on was Episode (1996). He played on nine albums and nearly 1000 shows with the band.

"The rest of us just has to accept Jörg's decision with a lot of sadness and wish him all the best for the future. But we can also assure that the band will still go on", says the singer Mr. Timo Kotipelto.

The band and Jörg are not going completely separate ways though, since Jörg will still be working for the band with his booking agency Twisted Talent Concerts. "Our long journey of over fifteen years together has not ended yet, as Jörg remains among our background forces - and we couldn't be more happy about that. Not only has he been a great drummer but also a close friend and a true professional. We're honoured to have Jörg by our side for this farewell Tour. We can't wait to rock with our 'German Steamroller' one last time! These shows will be unforgettable for all of us", Kotipelto continues.

[Also thanks to The Zarto for sending in this news!]

Source: stratovarius.com
Band profile: Stratovarius

Posted: 17.09.2011 by moe5512

Comments

Milena - 17.09.2011 at 12:38
This is pretty sad.
Angel_Lament - 17.09.2011 at 15:08
Shame, he was such a good drumer...
Mountain King - 17.09.2011 at 15:16
He will be missed. The sound of his drums and the way he plays is perfect for Stratovarius. Hpe they get Aquiles Priester...
RhaegarTargaryen - 17.09.2011 at 15:21
I just hope this won't end up as another Stratovarius Tolkki-comes-back saga or something. Shame he left, but he is a veteran, so I understand him.. and I hope they will get some young fresh blood to refresh the band.
ParL - 17.09.2011 at 17:01
Written by Mountain King on 17.09.2011 at 15:16

This will definately be an amazing opportunity for Priester indeed! :banger:
John Shock - 18.09.2011 at 01:27
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck ... that awesome drummer is out? ....men i'm gonna take suicide! I love stratovarius...i love that drummer's work! ...meeeen! :-(
mikeprado30 - 18.09.2011 at 07:59
Come on, for myself there are better drummers in the power scene (cough... THOMEN STAUCH... cough...)
The Shape 1973 - 18.09.2011 at 12:18
His cancer must be worse than we thought.
Angelic Storm - 18.09.2011 at 12:34
Written by The Shape 1973 on 18.09.2011 at 12:18

His cancer must be worse than we thought.

I really hope that doesn't have anything to do with it.
The Shape 1973 - 18.09.2011 at 12:38
Written by Angelic Storm on 18.09.2011 at 12:34

Written by The Shape 1973 on 18.09.2011 at 12:18

His cancer must be worse than we thought.

I really hope that doesn't have anything to do with it.

I hope not too. I have known too many people who have died of it. I just have a bad feeling.
Angelic Storm - 18.09.2011 at 13:01
Written by The Shape 1973 on 18.09.2011 at 12:38

I am surprised at the lack of recent news regarding his cancer... which could be a good sign, I hope so. The fact he is going finish the tour which lasts to the end of January is hopefully also a sign that he's in good shape. Also the band saying they have to "respect his decision" would seem to indicate it's not connected to the cancer, as if it was, he'd have had no decision to make... I might be clutching at straws, but at the moment, Im trying to remain positive about the situation... I really hope he is over he worst of it.
The Shape 1973 - 18.09.2011 at 13:19
Written by Angelic Storm on 18.09.2011 at 13:01

Written by The Shape 1973 on 18.09.2011 at 12:38

Lets hope there is an announcement soon that he has joined another band, rather than the illness. Maybe Symphonia? I agree that remaining in the band until January makes it sound that it is not his illness. We don't want to lose another one. RJDs death still hurts.
LeChron James - 19.09.2011 at 08:02
Mmm, I guess The Jörg is gonna move on to greener pastures. All the best to him.
Angelic Storm - 19.09.2011 at 14:49
Written by The Shape 1973 on 18.09.2011 at 13:19

It was a big blow to lose Ronnie... the void in metal and music in general that was opened when he died, seems as big now as it did when he initially passed away. I guess at least he had a good innings, Jorg is only 48... it would be a terrible tragedy if he died at that age. But I think if his condition was deteriorating, he wouldn't be able to finish the tour, so I'm at least optimistic if not totally sure that he's over the worst of it. xD

News Black Label Society - Drummer Quits The Band 7 11.02.2010 by Troy Killjoy
News Borknagar - Drummer Quits The Band 7 23.05.2008 by Gordon Freeman
News Decapitated - Drummer Quits The Band 7 02.09.2012 by J. N.
News The Faceless - Drummer Quits The Band 7 24.01.2013 by Alex Fenger