Burzum will be releasing a new album entitled From The Depths Of Darkness in late November consisting of re-recorded material from their albums Burzum and Det Som Engang Var. The album will feature Varg's favorite tracks from his two first albums that were re-recorded in 2010 for this release the way he originally intended.

From The Depths Of Darkness tracklist and cover art:

01. The Coming (Introduction)
02. Feeble Screams From Forests Unknown
03. Sassu Wunnu (Introduction)
04. Ea. Lord Of The Depths
05. Spell Of Destruction
06. A Lost Forgotten Sad Spirit
07. My Journey To The Stars
08. Call Of The Siren (Introduction)
09. Key To The Gate
10. Turn The Sign Of The Microcosm (Snu Mikrokosmos' Tegn)
11. Channeling The Power Of Minds Into A New God

Source: plastichead.com
Band profile: Burzum

Posted: 28.09.2011 by Vombatus

Comments page 2 of 2

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: 1 [2]

Daniell - 03.10.2011 at 10:31
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 02.10.2011 at 20:29

It's quite a bizarre attitude to consider oneself a fully fledged BM fan and not have malleable views regarding production. There's nothing worse in the world of metal, not just black metal, than too much polish and sheen. If you can't extend yourself to see the virtues of muddy production and gritty musicianship then I wouldn't recommend black metal.

I'm not sure if you're referring to me in this post, so I won't take it personal.I think you're mistaking intentionally muddy production with no production. Old Burzum has no production at all, and it sounds as it sounds, tastes and preferences aside.

There are hundreds of examples of how "bad" production, when used on purpose, can produce magnificent results. Satyricon, Emperor, Satanic Warmaster, Ulver, Funeral Mist, Mayhem, Nokturnal Mortum, Carpathian Forest, Darkthrone, to name just a few. I am perfectly aware of how inherent "muddy" production is to black metal, and I can appreciate it. Burzum does not fit into this category.
!J.O.O.E.! - 03.10.2011 at 11:32
Written by Daniell on 03.10.2011 at 10:31

Nah it's not at you, but I still don't get the distinction between "bad" and "no" production: "Old Burzum has no production at all, and it sounds as it sounds" - in my opinion that's entirely down to the person listening and whether or not they like the music. Many Burzum albums have what I would consider great production that perfectly fits the music at hand and isn't different from what many other bands have done. Saying Burzum does not fit the early conceptions of poor production is like saying Burzum don't fit early black metal. Black metal is the exemplar of shitty production that still has a place in the modern era, and as such can be extended to other forms of metal, such as doom.
ANGEL REAPER - 03.10.2011 at 11:47
Written by RavenKing on 02.10.2011 at 19:01

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 28.09.2011 at 14:46

i am afraid that he will ruin the old versions of the songs and piss over his own legacy.

This is almost always what happens when bands re-record old songs.
However, in Burzum's case, the old albums sounded like utter crap, so it can hardly get worse.

i agree with you till some point...i like that crappy sound of early norvegian bm...but as i said i agree that a little improvement of production can be good for that Burzum songs,but than again i dont think that Varg is capable to improve today...We will see how it will turn out...
ThunderAxe1989 - 09.04.2012 at 22:25
I haven't heard any of the re-recorded tracks, but I don't particularly have high hopes.

Pages: 1 [2]

News Abigor - To Release New Material 4 29.09.2009 by Vermin
News Jesu - To Release New Material In November 4 14.10.2010 by Thanntos
News Firewind - To Record New Material For Upcoming Release 4 01.12.2011 by Milena
News Hanternoz - To Release Exclusive Tracks Late 2012, Writing New Material 4 24.07.2012 by Fredd
News Crypt Of Kerberos - To Release New Material 4 11.03.2009 by ylside