German whale-hunting doomsters Ahab has revealed the album artwork, made by Sebastian Jerke, for the band's upcoming album The Giant, which is scheduled for a May-release through Napalm Records.

Enslaved keyboardist/vocalist Herbrand Larsen will make guest appearances on The Giant Two bonus tracks are set for the vinyl edition of the album. More details were previously reported here.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Ahab

Posted: 08.03.2012 by Azoic

Comments

Lit. - 08.03.2012 at 21:53
All right... Wow.
BloodTears - 08.03.2012 at 21:54
Actually looks pretty cool.
Mr. Doctor - 08.03.2012 at 21:57
Written by BloodTears on 08.03.2012 at 21:54

Actually looks pretty cool.

I like it, but it will be just perfect if it didnt have Ahab on it. It doesn't suit their style at all. I preffer my nautic doom to have a more serious look.
BloodTears - 08.03.2012 at 22:01
Written by Mr. Doctor on 08.03.2012 at 21:57

Written by BloodTears on 08.03.2012 at 21:54

Actually looks pretty cool.

Since I'm not familiar with the band, I have no idea if it fits or not. But looking at it, without thinking about anything else, it just looks cool

It's a bit cartoonish though.
Mr. Doctor - 08.03.2012 at 22:10
Written by BloodTears on 08.03.2012 at 22:01

The Call Of The Wretched Sea
The Divinity Of Oceans

To me, Ahab plays music that truly portrays the beauty but also the extreme and terrifying power of the ocean.
This is... like you said, cartoonish and doesn't really suit them.

You should check them out, incredible doom. Their debut is their masterpiece but their second album has a post-metal vibe (and therefore more accessible) to it that I'm think you might like.
Daniell - 08.03.2012 at 22:49
Written by Mr. Doctor on 08.03.2012 at 21:57

You can't know what their doom will sound like on this album (one snippet is not enough), so you can't yet say whether or not it does suit their style.
Mr. Doctor - 08.03.2012 at 22:50
Written by Daniell on 08.03.2012 at 22:49

Well, unless this album isn't doom metal (which I doubt), I don't think I'll change my opinion at all.
Mattybu - 08.03.2012 at 22:56
Written by Mr. Doctor on 08.03.2012 at 21:57

Written by BloodTears on 08.03.2012 at 21:54

Actually looks pretty cool.

Agreed, how did we go from the Raft of the Medusa to this? It's alright but for the band doesn't seem to fit.
Pazdzioch - 08.03.2012 at 23:14
I don't like this cover, without a comparison to previous ones.
Oaken - 09.03.2012 at 00:37
Divinity Of The Oceans was very boring IMO. I gave it a good amount of listens, but it is very, very slow. Looks like I'm indifferent towards very slow music...
Chobo_jokeR - 09.03.2012 at 00:40
Written by Oaken on 09.03.2012 at 00:37

The music is difficult to get into, but it is very rewarding when you do. It's certainly an acquired taste.
Oaken - 09.03.2012 at 00:41
Written by Chobo_jokeR on 09.03.2012 at 00:40

Written by Oaken on 09.03.2012 at 00:37

Couldn't agree more, but it looks like I didn't acquire that taste.
BitterCOld - 09.03.2012 at 00:49
Written by Oaken on 09.03.2012 at 00:41

Couldn't agree more, but it looks like I didn't acquire that taste.

whatever.

the only thing that changes more than your account and user name is your taste in music... two weeks before you were ranting about old Immortal, you were ranting about new Immortal and claiming how much you hated the older, sloppier, less-polished stuff.
Chobo_jokeR - 09.03.2012 at 00:50
Written by Oaken on 09.03.2012 at 00:41

Couldn't agree more, but it looks like I didn't acquire that taste.

Ha ha, yeah it's a tricky one. Took me quite awhile.
@gent_-_orange - 09.03.2012 at 03:40
Its a nice cover, But I dont think it goes with the band's musical style at all.

Written by Oaken on 09.03.2012 at 00:37

Keep listening to it until you do or better yet check out their first record. Cmon you know you love it.
Frankthetank727 - 09.03.2012 at 06:27
I thought both albums were pretty catchy......each just has its own way of doing so
Verdun_sc - 09.03.2012 at 07:02
Looks... kind of cool... But certainly not like Ahab should look.
-DC-002- - 09.03.2012 at 10:10
Metal album art, but in a Stoner metal kind of way.
Cynic Metalhead - 09.03.2012 at 12:21
Okay...waiting to drop this in.
Cynic Metalhead - 09.03.2012 at 12:48
Written by -DC-002- on 09.03.2012 at 10:10

Metal album art, but in a Stoner metal kind of way.

Not exactly. Well, fuming of white texture which incessantly spread around the cover art was something pretty new thing. Stoner Metal way?! No!! it wasn't even close to that. May be...this time they're dropping something unique..which you can't figure it out totally from Artcover saying "well, this is it. they will be heading like this." Saying this, it could have been better(artwork)..will be spurious and too shitty.
Marcel Hubregtse - 09.03.2012 at 12:53
This new album art would fit way better with a stoner band due to it being stoner art and not something for Ahab.
BloodTears - 09.03.2012 at 13:06
Written by Mr. Doctor on 08.03.2012 at 22:10

I also think I would like them. I listened to their new album teaser and it was sweet. So I'll probably listen to the new album and go from there.
Kjtil - 09.03.2012 at 14:48
Did not see that coming. Looks cool in it's own way though. Looking forward to the album!
Oaken - 09.03.2012 at 17:12
Written by @gent_-_orange on 09.03.2012 at 03:40

Written by Oaken on 09.03.2012 at 00:37

Thing is, I really gave this what it deserves. But it's very, very, very slow.
Troy Killjoy - 09.03.2012 at 17:44
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 09.03.2012 at 12:48
Stoner Metal way?! No!! it wasn't even close to that.

You should Google stoner metal images and look at some cover art before you say this new cover isn't even close to it.
Cynic Metalhead - 09.03.2012 at 17:51
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.03.2012 at 17:44

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 09.03.2012 at 12:48
Stoner Metal way?! No!! it wasn't even close to that.

Probably i did that way before. Yeah, it's not even close to that. Stoner Metal Artworks are mixed up of erotic guys right up in flying shrubs and their covering is with something really dark Punk background and even more innovative textures can be added. It's not there in every Stoner Metal artworks..but it's happens in majority.
Troy Killjoy - 09.03.2012 at 17:53
-_- Nevermind.
Marcel Hubregtse - 09.03.2012 at 17:58
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.03.2012 at 17:53

-_- Nevermind.

The guy clearly has no clue what stoner artwork looks like
Troy Killjoy - 09.03.2012 at 18:01
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.03.2012 at 17:58
The guy clearly has no clue what stoner artwork looks like

And I really don't feel the need to "win" an argument online. He'll figure it out on his own soon enough.
Cynic Metalhead - 09.03.2012 at 18:10
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.03.2012 at 18:01

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.03.2012 at 17:58
The guy clearly has no clue what stoner artwork looks like

He'll figure it out on his own soon enough.

Yeah i'll. I need to graduate more into that.
Mr. Doctor - 09.03.2012 at 18:22
Written by BloodTears on 09.03.2012 at 13:06

Why not checking out the second one that already exists? Most passages I heard in the teaser are pretty similar to the music of the second album, specially on this song (from 6:40 afterwards)

advent - 09.03.2012 at 18:25
Mmm, it's not bad, but all i want from them is their music.
Alex Fenger - 09.03.2012 at 18:58
The last two covers were much better, but the album cover doesn't usually affect the music
TrollandDie - 09.03.2012 at 22:48
Written by @gent_-_orange on 09.03.2012 at 03:40

Written by Oaken on 09.03.2012 at 00:37

Judging from the font and outlandish imagery it might be paying respect to pyschedellic rock: which played a large role in forming and cementing doom metal.

As for the cover art in general, it seems to have the right artistic tendencies. It looks eerie yet not really abstract.
@gent_-_orange - 10.03.2012 at 00:15
Written by TrollandDie on 09.03.2012 at 22:48

Dont get me wrong its a nice cover in itself but I would prefer something along the lines of the classic paintings they have used with the previous record, I just don't think that it goes very well with their music and I don't really think its too eerie either due it's cartoon looking art, To me this looks like it was meant for a different kind of band. But i'll not judge an album by its cover of course
Lit. - 10.03.2012 at 00:50
Written by Alex Fenger on 09.03.2012 at 18:58

...Unless you're Mastodon.
-DC-002- - 10.03.2012 at 02:01
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 09.03.2012 at 12:48

Written by -DC-002- on 09.03.2012 at 10:10

Metal album art, but in a Stoner metal kind of way.

Wasn't trying to diagram the whole album based of the cover art, that is silly But the white smokey textures and the way, "THE GIANT" is written all wavy and groovy like reminds me of a lot of the Post metal/sludge metal artwork thats been floating around. I don't mind it at all! I'm sure it will make sense when all the music is heard.

edit.

there is a lot of variation in the cover, I can look at it for several minutes.
BloodTears - 11.03.2012 at 18:48
Written by Mr. Doctor on 09.03.2012 at 18:22

Finally listened to it, sorry lol

It sounds really dense and interesting. I just like to start with new albums when the band is also new to me, what can I do. It's just something that usually happens. Take Grayceon, started with their latest and became a fan then and several other examples I could give you.

So, I will want to listen to the new stuff
Mr. Doctor - 11.03.2012 at 19:00
Written by BloodTears on 11.03.2012 at 18:48
It sounds really dense and interesting.

Heh, I find their second album a really nice and smooth listen. The debut is pretty much an impenetrable wall compared to the video I posted.

News Kataklysm - New Album Artwork Revealed 7 15.06.2010 by Overlord_PT
News Skeletonwitch - New Song Online, Album Artwork Revealed 7 01.08.2011 by Hyperfluxe
News Kylesa - New Track Online, Album Artwork Revealed 7 25.03.2013 by SleepFan
News Coronatus - New Album Title And Artwork Revealed 7 27.09.2008 by Black Conundrum
News Animals As Leader - New Album Cover Artwork Revealed 7 14.09.2011 by psykometal