In the previously reported news update for the upcoming Death To All Tour, endorsed by Sweet Relief, dates and instrumentalists were revealed, but no vocalists.

The management of DTAT can now proudly announce the two first vocalists, Charles Elliot (Abysmal Dawn) and Steffen Kummerer (Obscura, Thulcandra) as vocalists for the upcoming benefit tour.

In a statement about the tour, Charles comments: ""Who the hell is Charles Elliott?" is what I imagine some people saying as they're reading this announcement. It's true - compared to some of the legends associated with these amazing shows, I'm the new kid on the block. Even when they asked me to do it I was somewhat reluctant and suggested numerous other artists who I thought sounded more like Chuck and have been around longer, i.e. John Tardy, Martin Van Drunen, Luc Lemay, etc. In the end, I think they chose me to perform some of these songs because I'm a huge DEATH fan and because, more than anything, they felt I'm part of a newer generation embodying the overall spirit of Chuck. I'm glad they asked me though because playing with these guys is more than a dream come true and I couldn't be more excited about it. Let me just say that I don't pretend to be Chuck Schuldiner. I don't sound exactly like him and I'm not trying to, even if he is an influence of mine. Chuck was a unique individual, as am I. What I am trying to do though is humbly pay tribute to a man and band that changed my life, while supporting his family and a charity I believe in. I know some people will inevitably talk shit no matter what, but now at least I've said my piece.

My first band Inhuman Visions opened up for Death back in 1998 at what would become the infamous "Live In L.A." show. I was just a kid and I think if you listen closely at the very end of the show, you can hear me screaming "thank you Death" on the DVD. That statement is as true as it was in that life changing moment as it is now. Thank you Chuck Schuldiner for a legacy of metal that left a lasting impression on me. I hope to do you justice, as the fans and musicians you touched all gather to pay tribute to you and your music. Let the metal flow."

With that statement, second vocalist Steffen comments: "It was a pleasure to get the invitation to play all of those timeless classics as a tribute to Chuck and his work. To be honest, I wasn't sure if it was a good idea at all to get this project running, due to my respect for the past. The band Death is gone and will never come back, that is the truth. These shows are a nice way to show tribute to the band and their previous work and help musicians via Sweet Relief. In the end, a good thing and definitely worth visiting one or two shows. I am glad to be involved and be part of this idea to bring this music back on stage. Let the metal flow."

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Death

Posted: 22.03.2012 by Azoic

Comments

Lit. - 22.03.2012 at 18:57
Very interesting...
Unhealer - 22.03.2012 at 19:33
Respect for the unknown guy. I hope people can keep the shit in their mouths.
Apothecary - 22.03.2012 at 19:38
Can't say I'm too familiar with Chris Elliot, but all power to him for willing to take on such a monumental task.
Very pleased to see Steffen Kummerer on the bill though. Anyone wondering what he might sound like covering Death should check out Obscura's cover of Lack Of Comprehension on Retribution. Pretty spot on, in my opinion.
Methuselah - 23.03.2012 at 01:21
Very interesting indeed. Going to be interesting to see what Charles Elliot does with Death songs.
LeChron James - 23.03.2012 at 01:41
He's gonna have some pressure on him. I wonder if he'll be able to hang or not haha.
Troy Killjoy - 23.03.2012 at 03:26
Elliott is a terrible death metal vocalist in my opinion, and the music that backs him in Abysmal Dawn is even worse. If I had tickets to any of these shows beforehand I'd give them away to someone else for free.
Angelic Storm - 23.03.2012 at 03:36
I can't pretend I'm not disappointed at this. With such an impressive lineup of legendary musicians participating in this project, I dunno why they couldn't have found some equally legendary vocalists to join them. Someone like John Tardy would have been great, as would Kam Lee (Death's original vocalist)... I'm definitely not as excited about this project now as I was when I first heard about it...
MetalDoomMaster - 23.03.2012 at 06:05
Steffen Kummerer is a good pick for vocalist, although I'm not sure where they got the idea to have Charles Elliot come aboard. I'm a big fan of Abysmal Dawn, and I don't mind his vocals, but he doesn't sound anything like Chuck. I am still very excited for this.
Amatsu Mikaboshi - 07.04.2012 at 21:17
Just to say now as for the last song of the night a few day's ago. Obscura played The Flesh And Power It Holds and it worked really well it was almost a surprise to hear!!!!

News Death To All Tour - Dallas And Atlanta Dates Postponed 7.5 20.06.2012 by Loathera
News Death To All Tour - Gorguts And Atheist Confirmed As Openers, Two More Dates Added 7.5 23.04.2012 by MetalDoomMaster
News Delain - Release Trailer For Upcoming Tour 5.5 12.02.2012 by The Shape 1973
News Cannibal Corpse - To Join Forces With Napalm Death And Immolation For The Decibel Magazine Tour 5.5 23.01.2013 by GoldenGod2112
News Moonspell, Napalm Death, Behemoth - Team Up For European Tour 5.5 24.10.2006 by X-FrEaK