Posted on the band's Facebook.

Katatonia, the Swedish purveyors of dark rock/metal, have announced that their ninth studio album, due to be released on Peaceville Records on August 27th (EU) and August 28th (US), will be titled Dead End Kings. A continuation of 2009's inspired and acclaimed Night Is The New Day, as well as a leap forward into the unknown, Dead End Kings sees the quintet conjure yet another milestone in audial melancholy and angst.

Amongst their most poignant and ambitious material to date, Dead End Kings was recorded at Ghost Ward Studios and The City Of Glass. The album was produced by founding duo Anders Nyström and Jonas Renkse themselves, and mixed by David Castillo, known for his prior work with the band, as well as Opeth and Bloodbath.

Dead End Kings sees the recording debut of guitarist Per Eriksson for Katatonia, as well as recent bassist Niklas Sandin. Additionally, Katatonia is joined once again by Frank Default and his invaluable expertise on sampling and atmospherics, plus a special guest appearance by Norwegian vocalist Silje Wergeland of Dutch legends The Gathering/ex-Octavia Sperati.

About the album title, vocalist Jonas comments: "Dead End Kings is about the corridors of our mind from where there is no return. Be a king or queen in your own right in these hallways, even at the dead end. Carry your burden with pride. That's what we are doing, twenty years and counting. Kings, because we believe in what we are creating, in our own disturbing faith."

Guitarist Anders sums up: "This album has doors revolving into many different genres of music but remain disguised within the Katatonia trademark. We have walked the fine line between attempting not to repeat ourselves but also not to distance us away from what people know and love. We're now ready to hand over the evidence and whatever the direction this has taken is now for you to decide. We're confident the creativity and passion on this album is something that will be echoing even beyond the dead end."

Dead End Kings tracklist (not in final running order):

The Parting
Hypnone
Undo You
The Racing Heart
Buildings
Leech
The One You Are Looking For Is Not Here [feat. Silje Wergeland]
First Prayer
Ambitions
Lethean
Dead Letters

In other Katatonia news, guitarist Anders "Blakkheim" Nyström won't be playing with the band in Russia. The following statement was released about it: "We are currently on our way to Russia, but we have some bad news. Unfortunately Anders is very sick and unable to travel with us, so we send our regards and wish him a speedy recovery. The show must go on and we didn't want our fans to miss out so we have decided to carry on and play the concerts without him. We look forward to seeing you all over the next couple of days!"

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Katatonia

Posted: 28.05.2012 by BloodTears

Comments

Kuroboshi - 28.05.2012 at 13:48
Can't say I'm expecting great things from this band anymore. IMO they have never released an album with at least half of the songs being fillers, with the possible exception of discouraged ones.
RaVeN - 28.05.2012 at 14:08
If the rumor was true, Born From Nothing would have been a much better album title
!J.O.O.E.! - 28.05.2012 at 14:16
I was still hoping it would be Dead End Kong.
Kenos - 28.05.2012 at 14:38
That's my birthday and I couldn't ask for a better present.

W O N D E R F U L artwork, as always.
Mr. Doctor - 28.05.2012 at 14:47
Even though they have gone downhill after Viva Emptiness, Katatonia is still a band I have hopes for. I'm patiently waiting for a return in quality.
strade - 28.05.2012 at 15:43
This, Gojira, and Enslaved are my most anticipated albums of the year. Dead End Kings is kind of a strange title for a Katatonia album, but we'll see.
GoldenGod2112 - 28.05.2012 at 19:29
I read somewhere they will be touring with Opeth again in the fall.
Mr. Doctor - 28.05.2012 at 20:47
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 28.05.2012 at 14:16

I was still hoping it would be Dead End Kong.

I totally read "The Farting" instead of "The Partig" just now.
Huh, I like the artwork, don't know why really as it looks like something I might not like but somehow I like it.
BloodTears - 28.05.2012 at 20:58
The cover is kinda nice actually. Not that it matters much, but I'm suddenly more interested but they do say it's a continuation of the last album...
Dark Doom - 28.05.2012 at 21:34
Can't wait but i hope katatonia don't disappointment us!
tea[m]ster - 28.05.2012 at 21:39
Written by Mr. Doctor on 28.05.2012 at 14:47

Even though they have gone downhill after Viva Emptiness,

Pretty amazing to me. NITND was the first Katatonia album I ever listened to and I love it. I tried all their other stuff and I just don't like it
Mr. Doctor - 28.05.2012 at 21:53
Written by tea[m]ster on 28.05.2012 at 21:39

Written by Mr. Doctor on 28.05.2012 at 14:47

Even though they have gone downhill after Viva Emptiness,

That's just one of the most unusual opinions I've read/heard of Katatonia. Needless to say I can't possibly agree with you
TGCD was decent but in that album (and even more in NITND) shit turns so bland and uninspiring it's unbeliavble how much they fell from grace. The formula isn't even that different from Viva Emptiness, they just fucked it up with produccion but mostly with the lack of any memorable stuff. There's not nearly as much impact compared to what they have done and what I know they can do.

The official review we have for that album is spot on, the performance is still tight as a duck ass. but the creative juices begin to run dry, there's some lack of depth in the music (specially the lyrics) and barely any great hooks like those they used to have.
strade - 28.05.2012 at 22:59
^ Nope, don't agree at all. NISTND had the best atmosphere (subjectively, of course) and some of the most memorable songs Katatonia has ever written. It's by far my favorite of theirs, though I do greatly enjoy VE and TGCD.
Frankthetank727 - 28.05.2012 at 23:27
Written by strade on 28.05.2012 at 22:59

Slyfang - 29.05.2012 at 00:44
Judging by the colour themes of their albums, I'm guessing the one after this will be green

This one looks great though
Mr. Doctor - 29.05.2012 at 00:52
Written by Slyfang on 29.05.2012 at 00:44

Judging by the colour themes of their albums, I'm guessing the one after this will be either green

This one looks great though

There's definiely a lack of green in their discography. All the other classy colors are already covered.
MetalSpider - 29.05.2012 at 00:54
Personally, NITND, TGCD and Viva Emptiness were their best albums...but that's the Kataonia style that I personally like. So I'm definitely looking forward to their new album!
Andresopeth - 29.05.2012 at 00:58
Even when my favorites are Discouraged Ones and Tonight's Decision, i have found the way to enjoy the whole Katatonia discography, and i like them all, Night Is The New Day is a solid album, obviously they won't record an album like Discouraged Ones again, but they are doing well so far, at least in my opinion, this one won't be the exception.
Array - 29.05.2012 at 01:05
It seems like they have finally left the city and found a few brave birds escaping under that hole-conquered ashen winter sky.
InnerSelf - 29.05.2012 at 01:22
Love the artwork, hopefully they won't water down their sound even more than the last one
Cassian - 29.05.2012 at 03:41
Written by Kuroboshi on 28.05.2012 at 13:48

Once I had thought exactly the same thing.
But then I realized that with this type of music you have to listen to it many times and when you are emotional.
Eventually you see there is NO fillers
Kuroboshi - 29.05.2012 at 04:09
Written by Cassian on 29.05.2012 at 03:41

Once I had thought exactly the same thing.
Eventually you see there is NO fillers

Perhaps you're right. I remember liking TGD a lot when I was seriously depressed and thinking about suicide. So... I'm happy about not liking Katatonia much anymore!
Gopherhawk - 29.05.2012 at 05:05
New Katatonia and Ensi on the same day. Arockalypse
Dark Blood - 29.05.2012 at 05:46
It is a nice cover, but weird title for Katatonia. Either way, I'm hoping for a good album.
Slayer666 - 29.05.2012 at 18:56
Saying the album title blows donkey balls would be a severe understatement.
The cover art isn't what I'd call "great" either.
Grimm - 31.05.2012 at 09:45
I'm quite excited about this! I also think the cover is interesting. I see a tiny, cloaked man holding something in the cloud and it intrigues me.
Tristus Scriptor - 06.06.2012 at 21:27
Umm...why does nobody ever mention Tonight's Decision? For God's sake, man! That album still makes me wanna put a knife to my wrist while watching static on the TV screen...all the while masturbating of course.
Therapy? - 10.06.2012 at 19:39
Actually, I really liked NItND, so I am looking forward to this release. What I really hope is more heavy awesomeness combined with thrilling, atmospherical parts like found in "Departer" especially from 2:50 to 3:10. I'm hoping Jonas will experience a bit more with his voice like that. I really liked it.

News Neurosis - New Album Title And Release Date Unveiled 11.5 14.08.2012 by Mr. Doctor
News Intronaut - New Album Title And Release Date Unveiled 11.5 16.11.2012 by Monolithic
News Chimaira - New Album Title And Release Date Revealed 10 21.04.2013 by Cynic Metalhead
News All Shall Perish - New Album Title And Release Date Revealed 10 26.04.2011 by Ander
News Protest The Hero - New Album Title And Release Date Revealed 10 19.01.2011 by BaneConall