Swedish doom metallers Candlemass have parted ways with vocalist Robert Lowe. The band released the following statement on the changes: "We are sorry to inform you that Robert Lowe is no longer the singer for Candlemass. It has been a very difficult decision for the band and has mainly to do with the quality of the live performances."

"For the upcoming shows Robert will be replaced with Mats Levén, longtime friend of the band. We are convinced this will work out just great. The band is currently rehearsing new and old songs with Mats and we know that nobody attending the gigs at Debaser Slussen, Metaltown, Borås or Southern Discomfort will be disappointed. Bring your earplugs... it will be hard, massive and loud! Keyboard player Per Wiberg is also joining Candlemass onstage for the live shows. Psalms for the dead... nothing else remains!"

Source: candlemass.se
Band profile: Candlemass

Posted: 02.06.2012 by Abattoir

Comments

Arcticus - 02.06.2012 at 20:45
Wow...ex-Therion and Opeth members, can't really go wrong there
J. N. - 02.06.2012 at 21:03
Preparing for the final gigs before putting down the instruments. Vocalist leaves the band. Nice.
BlueMobius - 02.06.2012 at 21:13
Written by J. N. on 02.06.2012 at 21:03

Sounds more like they kicked him out.
J. N. - 02.06.2012 at 21:21
Written by BlueMobius on 02.06.2012 at 21:13
Sounds more like they kicked him out.

Missed the last sentence of the first paragraph, hahah. Oops!
Apothecary - 02.06.2012 at 21:27
No disrespect against Lowe, he's an amazing vocalist, but I never really think his higher vocal range fit Candlemass (who have had a history of singers with deeper baritone vocals) to begin with. Curious to see who they come up with in his place.
Mr. Doctor - 02.06.2012 at 21:34
I understand, specially considering the live performances. He wasn't that bad when I saw him at roadburn but still... Quite unproffesional in a couple of things.
exomorphyx89 - 02.06.2012 at 23:22
Written by Apothecary on 02.06.2012 at 21:27

Totally agree... Lowe is a great vocalist but NOT for Candlemass!
Cathval - 03.06.2012 at 00:28
I think this is a massive mistake on their part. Candlemass was extremely lackluster with Messiah as the singer. He sounded too cheery and upbeat to sing a catalog which is mean to be dark, foreboding, sinister, and have this particular atmosphere to it.

Sad. Rob Lowe's voice fits Candlemass perfectly. The "Ashes to Ashes" DVD blew me away. Feels like another Tim Owens moment with this one. Good thing we received two good albums out of them. If only they re-recorded the previous albums I'd find them listenable.

This band is one of those rare instances when the newer vocalist actually out-performed the original which they became famous for.
Mr. Doctor - 03.06.2012 at 01:03
Vocalist discussions are useless when Johan Längqvist owns them all.
DeathSlyzer - 03.06.2012 at 01:24
Written by Cathval on 03.06.2012 at 00:28

I couldn't agree more. I'm sure there must be something wrong with me for not liking Messiah, but I just don't, and I really enjoyed Lowe's work with them. This was very sad news.
M C Vice - 03.06.2012 at 05:00
So, which singer will be on the new album? Had they already finished it?
NocturnalStalker - 03.06.2012 at 06:26
Written by M C Vice on 03.06.2012 at 05:00

So, which singer will be on the new album? Had they already finished it?

Lowe sang on the new album. It'll be released in June.

As for his departure... He's a good vocalist and two previous albums with him was good but he clearly has a weaker voice than Messiah, which was evident when I watched their live performances with him.
Now I hope he will have time to record a new Solitude Aeturnus album.
Enemy of Reality - 04.06.2012 at 17:39
About time!! Rob's work on the studio is great, but live he just stinks! Mats Leven is a awesome singer i think it will work out very well! Now it's time to come back to Portugal with Mats and of course Leif who was sick and missed his first gig here!
Bloody Rain - 04.06.2012 at 22:00
Written by NocturnalStalker on 03.06.2012 at 06:26

Now I hope he will have time to record a new Solitude Aeturnus album.

My thoughts exactly!
bran - 05.06.2012 at 06:16
Sucks loved lowe in candlemass hope he goes and makes a new kicks ass solitude aeturnus album
Marcel Hubregtse - 05.06.2012 at 14:02
Written by J. N. on 02.06.2012 at 21:03

They are not preparing for the final gigs. They won't be releasing albums anymore but will still be performing live. That's what Leif said in an interview in the latest edition of Aardschok
J. N. - 05.06.2012 at 19:21
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.06.2012 at 14:02

Ah, my bad.
Passenger - 06.06.2012 at 17:25
Lowe is a brilliant vocalist. I enjoy both his and Messiah's styles. Different, but I can't imagine their albums with Candlemass without them. I understand the reasons for this and just hope the new guy will be in the same level (which I already know he will be and you all should listen to Krux to know that too).
IronAngel - 09.06.2012 at 12:54
Sure sounds good. Video found through Doommantia:
Daggon - 14.06.2012 at 21:41
Part ways with vocalist... again. Oh well, I did not enjoy their latest album that much, too cheerful for their style, but I think they will find someone good for their line-up, I mean, they always find someone who fits in their music, and Mats Leven and Per Wiberg are nice live additions, if only they could come to Mexico City some day.

News Dead By April - Part Ways With Vocalist, Replacement Announced 10 19.03.2013 by ScottyM
News Origin - Part Ways With Vocalist, Replacement Announced 10 19.02.2010 by Troy Killjoy
News Darkseed - Part Ways With Vocalist, Replacement Announced 10 05.01.2012 by Milena
News Halcyon Way - Part Ways With Vocalist, Replacement Announced 10 11.09.2009 by Black Conundrum
News Spiritual Beggars - Part Ways With Vocalist, Replacement Announced & New Song Sample Online 10 07.06.2010 by Jan