The details regarding the tribute album to David Gold, founding member of Canadian black and doom metal band Woods Of Ypres, who passed away late last year, have been revealed. The cover for the album as well as the artists who will be participating can be seen below but the release date has not yet been announced.

Steph LeDrew is the mastermind behind the project and said the following: "On December 21, the world lost Woods Of Ypres founder/frontman David Gold. Not only was the entire local metal community but the international metal family mourned the loss of such a brilliant soul. As a thank you and farewell to Woods Of Ypres, I reached out to those who were influenced by Woods and David, so join me in creating a musical salute to one of the greatest doom metal bands to unleash onto the underground metal scene."

Bands and songs featured on the tribute album:

Novembers Doom - Wet Leather
Bear Hunters - Kiss My Ashes Goodbye pt.2

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Woods Of Ypres

Posted: 16.07.2012 by BloodTears

Comments

scapeplan - 16.07.2012 at 13:20
Tanner is asleep, post WoY tribute album.
Marcel Hubregtse - 16.07.2012 at 13:36
This is what I had to say on it in another thread. And is also relevant here:

"On December 21st the world lost Woods Of Ypres founder/frontman David Gold. Not only was the entire local metal community but the international metal family mourned the loss of such a brilliant soul. As a thank you and farewell to Woods Of Ypres, I reached out to those who were influenced by WOY and David, so join me in creating a musical salute to one of the greatest doom metal bands to unleash onto the underground metal scene."

wtf? WoY one of the greatest doom metal bands to unleash onto the underground metal scene? Please don't make me, and all those into doom in all its guises, laugh.

And Novembers Doom influenced by WoY? Sorry but a Paradise Lost, modern era Katatonia, Type O Negative wannabe band influential?
Troy Killjoy - 16.07.2012 at 14:18
I don't see any reason to be upset with someone promoting the release and saying a few kind words about a musician who - in spite of releasing quite a few bland releases - had an obvious passion for the music he created. I'm not arguing that WoY are one of the greatest bands of all time (far from it in fact) nor am I saying every single musician here took blatant influence from Gold's work, but I'm sure a great deal of these musicians took interest in his compositions - enough to contribute a tribute track at least.
Marcel Hubregtse - 16.07.2012 at 14:28
I am especially taking offence at "one of the greatest doom metal bands to unleash onto the underground metal scene"

they had some fans true, but certainly cannot be viewed in whatever way als one of the greatest underground doom metal bands.
Bonna - 16.07.2012 at 14:52
Meh it's obviously a subjective statement, the dude is putting together a tribute album ffs, cut him some slack.
Nevertheless, they're underestimated. Their latest, Woods V, is brilliant. Top 5 material for me this year.
Boxcar Willy - 16.07.2012 at 15:29
This is pretty much just his tribute show recorded, so I'm not too excited, most of the bands in that weren't too great. I really don't want to hear Amaranth butcher "The Allure Of The Earth"

Still, I'll probably buy it.

And Marcel, just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's not good.
Marcel Hubregtse - 16.07.2012 at 15:41
Written by Boxcar Willy on 16.07.2012 at 15:29

And Marcel, just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's not good.

nope, but calling WoY one of the greatest underground doom bands is totally ridiculous, you got to agree with me on that. Even you as a Daviod Gold fanboy got to admit to them not being one fo the great underground doom bands.
Boxcar Willy - 16.07.2012 at 15:45
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.07.2012 at 15:41

Written by Boxcar Willy on 16.07.2012 at 15:29

And Marcel, just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's not good.

I don't see the problem with it, I know they have fans and I know they aren't as big as Pardise Lost or Katatonia, but they do have quite a few followers. So therefore "One of the greatest underground Doom bands" seems quite fitting, even if they do have quite a few fans.
hadriel - 16.07.2012 at 16:35
Really looking forward to this..any chance of a vinyl release?
Doc Godin - 16.07.2012 at 18:21
I agree they're not "the greatest underground doom metal band ever", even as a person whose knowledge in doom is not expansive by any means. But jesus christ, Marcel, this guy just wants to promote a tribute album to his friend (I assume it's his friend), and a band he likes. I really don't see the purpose in getting so worked up about one inaccurate statement.
Lit. - 16.07.2012 at 18:24
Quote:

Justin Bender

Tell me i'm not the only one who read that as Justin Bieber.
Jiri - 16.07.2012 at 18:26
"Justin Bieber (Into Eternity) - Trillium: The 3rd Of Three Winters"
Jiri - 16.07.2012 at 18:27
Written by Lit. on 16.07.2012 at 18:24

Quote:

Justin Bender

Tell me i'm not the only one who read that as Justin Bieber.

Hahaha, I just put a comment on that right when you did without seeing your comment! I guess you were not the only one
Uldreth - 16.07.2012 at 20:59
Written by Lit. on 16.07.2012 at 18:24

Quote:

Justin Bender

Tell me i'm not the only one who read that as Justin Bieber.

Nope
Cynic Metalhead - 16.07.2012 at 22:34
Written by Uldreth on 16.07.2012 at 20:59

Written by Lit. on 16.07.2012 at 18:24

Quote:

Justin Bender

Tell me i'm not the only one who read that as Justin Bieber.

Nope

Ugh, you can't leave that kid for a sec, r-ight?
psykometal - 17.07.2012 at 02:48
Written by Doc Godin on 16.07.2012 at 18:21

I have to agree with this statement, it would seem apparent that that guy thinks WoY was one of the best underground doom acts (guess he should have remembered to say "Imo" before that statement)...
Boxcar Willy - 17.07.2012 at 03:15
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 16.07.2012 at 22:34

r-ight?

You know it's "right" right?
Cüca Beludö - 17.07.2012 at 04:46
Written by Lit. on 16.07.2012 at 18:24

Quote:

Justin Bender

Tell me i'm not the only one who read that as Justin Bieber.

I also did the same thing: My hear skipped a beat.

Justin Bieber influenced by Woods of Ypres?
Cynic Metalhead - 17.07.2012 at 07:31
Written by Boxcar Willy on 17.07.2012 at 03:15

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 16.07.2012 at 22:34

r-ight?

You know it's "right" right?

I know it's.......right. r-ight?

Enough of bullshit.
Mr. Doctor - 17.07.2012 at 10:34
The part that is funny is how it claims that the band is influential when in fact it's not influential at all. That's about it. I don't care for the other marketing words.
Cynic Metalhead - 17.07.2012 at 10:46
It's pretty shitty that ND got influenced WOY from nowhere/ or they just try to create an gimmick that they can put up an awesome tribute album which will showcase more of ND or whatever.

But, atm what I am excited is about their album. I am horribly looking forward for it. Let's see how it comes up.
Troy Killjoy - 17.07.2012 at 15:16
Written by Mr. Doctor on 17.07.2012 at 10:34

I don't know any of the band members in any of these bands personally, but it's not impossible for one of them to have taken influence from either Gold's lyrics or compositions. Obviously WoY aren't influential in the sense that they started a new genre that others copied down the road, but there are other was of influencing other musicians.
Boxcar Willy - 17.07.2012 at 19:29
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.07.2012 at 15:16

Written by Mr. Doctor on 17.07.2012 at 10:34

I know David and Paul were pretty close friends, so I'm sure that they've at least shared ideas, but I don't really expect a gothic doom album from ND anytime soon.
deathexhortation - 23.07.2012 at 08:38
I agree and disagree. It is ridiculous to say that they were doom metal. I thought they were a combination of goth, doom, black metal and alt rock. And I don't think they were influential either, but rather influenced. Nothing original about the band whatsoever, but this does zero to detract from my great love for their music. In my opinion WoY's virtue lies in the impeccable song-writing and lyricism, and this is what they should be remembered and respected for.

On another note I wouldn't bother taking offense at all the mislabelling going on, that's just the type of fevered hyperbole that fandom brings on when a loved musician dies. In reality, it's almost definitely not going to change who the great originals of this style were, and who the general public will claim them to be.

News Ypres Metal Fest - Details Announced 7.5 07.03.2012 by Absak