Finnish extreme power metal act Norther calls it a day and puts down their instruments.

The band left the following statement: "We hereby announce after a long and careful consideration that we have decided to quit Norther.

During the last year it has become clear that we are not able to tour or do shows as much as we would want to, this being due to members complicated and time consuming life situations. We have been forced to find session members and turn down too many gig offers. We simply cannot act as an active and working band and it is clear that these issues are not solved in the future. This is everything but an easy decision for all of us, but all this have taken the band to the point that pulling the plug is the right thing to do. There is no drama, this is a mutual decision and we all remain as good friends. The last show of Norther will be on the 10th of August at Brutal Assault Festival 2012 (CZ).

However, most of us will continue in other bands: Jukka in Wintersun and Amberian Dawn, Aleksi in Medicated and ASXX, Daniel in Naildown, Heikki in Naildown, Tuoni and Amberian Dawn, and Kristian in his solo project.

Norther would like to thank especially our FANS, friends and partners for their support for the past 12 years. Also great hails goes to Tomi Luoma, our ex-members Toni Hallio and Petri Lindroos, and producer Anssi Kippo for their contribution. It has been one hell of a ride and together we shared truly unforgettable moments!!"

Source: norther.net
Band profile: Norther

Posted: 24.07.2012 by Rock_Dropper

Comments

JÄY - 24.07.2012 at 23:58
Best idea theyve had in years
J. N. - 25.07.2012 at 00:05
And nothing of value was lost.
kaspair - 25.07.2012 at 00:09
Their last album wasn't good at all so I don't really care.
Uldreth - 25.07.2012 at 00:18
From one point of view it's a shame since I used to really like these guys but their last album was total shite and they've been going downhill for a long while so I guess this is best option to leave with a mostly worthy legacy.
Marcel Hubregtse - 25.07.2012 at 00:20
Yes, good news
Boxcar Willy - 25.07.2012 at 00:22
FINALLY!

Actually I haven't even really heard them, so no big loss
BlueMobius - 25.07.2012 at 00:26
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.07.2012 at 00:20

Yes, good news

Yeah, indeed. The band main guitar player has been too busy selling diabetes products too tour. http://www.mendor.com/en/Company.aspx scroll down.
ImperialTroll - 25.07.2012 at 00:28
Probably the best news in 2012 I was worried they'd come up with more shitty albums, but at least they had a bit of honor left
AngelofDeth - 25.07.2012 at 00:48
Good! first three albums were pretty decent but even then they were always B-grade Extreme Power. Best thing to come out of Norther was definitely Petri and the greatest moment was his full transition to Ensiferum lol.

Sad but True.
AngelofDeth - 25.07.2012 at 00:51
Written by BlueMobius on 25.07.2012 at 00:26

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.07.2012 at 00:20

Yes, good news

Holy shit! hes the fuckn CEO, wow. In the US you could never land a job as a CEO if you were in a band like Norther. Thats just crazy
RavenKing - 25.07.2012 at 01:16
Not a big loss for sure.
Mr. Doctor - 25.07.2012 at 01:27
...and not a single fuck was given that day.
Sir Thrashalot - 25.07.2012 at 01:31
Norther was doomed the day Petri left the band. Shame because i used to love this band, but the last album was TERRIBLE ! in more ways than i can explain, so unfortunately, they got what was coming to them.
Until the End - 25.07.2012 at 01:33
They made some great metal back in the day. Unfortunately it didn't last.
Bad English - 25.07.2012 at 02:05
Good news for flower metal haters !!!! we won !!!
Nickferatu367 - 25.07.2012 at 02:07
All the original members left before this "split" was announced. doesnt that somewhat imply, Norther has been split for sometime??
Vityaz - 25.07.2012 at 02:25
The early Nother days was amazing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjEXb5hKRek

But Nother was already dead when Petri Lindroos leave the band. So this news wasn't make me sad because true-real Nother was already dead long ago...
Jiri - 25.07.2012 at 02:35
Aw, everyone has already covered everything I was going to say! Poor Norther. Absolutely NO love. I will attach a sad smilie for them even though I also hated them
meadow - 25.07.2012 at 03:05
They werent all that great even from the beginning bodom ripoff
Fradd - 25.07.2012 at 03:19
They swallowed their pride and did the right thing.
strade - 25.07.2012 at 03:32
The world is now a slightly better place.
MetalDoomMaster - 25.07.2012 at 03:32
I always thought that this band was the epitome of mediocrity. Nothing about them was actually good, and it didn't seem to be getting better. Good choice by the band.
Troy Killjoy - 25.07.2012 at 03:34
Damn, no more Nickelback on Metal Storm.

I guess we still have Baroness.
Stabby - 25.07.2012 at 04:16
Norther with Petri had better vocals than Bodom. I liked their older albums. What am I supposed to do if I like Bodom but have listened to all of their albums enough? Listen to a Bodom rip-off, duh.

But yeah, meh on this one. It's so nice to see a Metalstorm consensus. Usually news like this polarizes people but not this time. -group hug-*

*very very metal group hug
Until the End - 25.07.2012 at 05:33
The early albums are as good as, if not better, than the early Bodom albums. What they both have in common is that quickly fell into the pit of shit not long after.
Dark Blood - 25.07.2012 at 05:39
Hmmm, I haven't heard their work in a few years now (since N), but I honestly thought they were doing good. I guess I was wrong.
Void Eater - 25.07.2012 at 07:08
Never listened to this band, but I thought that they were pretty well liked on Metalstorm. Surprised to see everybody so stoked on them quitting.
swatata - 25.07.2012 at 09:47
After Petri left the band it was known to anyone that it would be a disaster.I hope they can continue working well with their other projects
metal2000 - 25.07.2012 at 10:27
WHAT, I can't believe it, I really liked this band, maybe in the future Petri will rejoin the band. who knows.
Janne - 25.07.2012 at 10:50
This band is dead since Petri left them.. so this is not a big change
Kamil - 25.07.2012 at 11:04
Written by JÄY on 24.07.2012 at 23:58

Best idea theyve had in years

Agree

Besides ep "No Way Back" rest of their stuff isn't worth any real attention.
Sworn - 25.07.2012 at 11:06
This is actually good news. I wish all the rest of those shitty bands do the same.
SceneryOfLoss - 25.07.2012 at 11:53
Written by Guest on 25.07.2012 at 00:48

So I am going to be present at their LAST show ever?

Same reaction XD
Windrider - 25.07.2012 at 11:58
Uhh... not sure, I really like them and listen a lot to them, but only to the stuff of the Lindroos-era, so the present band isn't my thing anyways... But old Norther will always remain a great band, just to keep that in mind!
White Death - 25.07.2012 at 12:31
It's a real shame, their last album had the essence of old Norther deep within and if they made a few more albums I could have seen them reaching their potential but now we will never know how they could have turned out.
FeskarN - 25.07.2012 at 13:26
This doesn't come as a suprise for me. After Petri left the band has been really not active at all. Not even a proper tour after their last album which was terrible. The band died after Petri got kicked out imo. Still one of my favourite bands today, old albums were their golden days. RIP
Troy Killjoy - 25.07.2012 at 14:59
Written by Guest on 25.07.2012 at 14:53
Trolling, sarcasm...? Or both?

Their latest album sounded like a pretty typical radio rock release, so... not really trolling or even being sarcastic.
Troy Killjoy - 25.07.2012 at 15:14
Written by Guest on 25.07.2012 at 15:06
Yeah, I have to agree... Hopefully you have a bit better opinion about Mirror of Madness or other older stuff (I thought that you were talking about Norther in general previously) :-)

Some of their early material wasn't the worst I've heard, and they did manage to surpass Bodom with their first couple releases. That being said, they kind of pulled an Amoral (and coincidentally followed CoB) in terms of watering down their sound and releasing some seriously lackluster albums.
Warman - 25.07.2012 at 16:17
To me this is almost like... I'm just as sad as when Celtic Frost called it quits (again). This is horrible news to me! "Dreams of Endless War" is without a doubt in my top 5 albums of all time list. Sure, they're not even close to that with the latest two releases. But I still liked it.
Norther meant so much to me during my early teenage and high school years. What I'm mostly upset about is that I'll never be able to see them live!
Kamil - 25.07.2012 at 16:32
Written by Warman on 25.07.2012 at 16:17

Well, your loss
Aeterna - 25.07.2012 at 22:46
I do love their Death Unlimited album. I was still hoping to hear some of those songs performed live at some point.
Uldreth - 26.07.2012 at 00:05
Written by Void Eater on 25.07.2012 at 07:08

Probably those are less vocal than the people who dislike them, plus I think a lot of people who did like their previous materials (like myself) realized that this band will probably never ever be good again so it's better for everyone if they just leave.
M C Vice - 26.07.2012 at 12:43
Bodom next? Please? (and not for the obvious reasons)
Kamil - 26.07.2012 at 13:45
Written by M C Vice on 26.07.2012 at 12:43

Bodom next? Please? (and not for the obvious reasons)

Unfortunately I have to agree with this, because this band also don't have good ideas anymore.
Their first two albums were great though.

Btw. What with In Flames?
Nemmeth - 31.07.2012 at 12:47
I haven't listened to Circle Regenerated yet. Maybe better. No, maybe I SHOULD listen to that album to feel less shocked about Norther quitting. I liked their old songs. A lot. Everybody calls them a Bodom copy, but it was easy for me to seperate their songs from Bodom songs. I fucking loved Petri's insane growls. So I guess I"m more sad he left Norther, rather than that Norther disbanded. But also sad because I will never see them play their old songs and I deff have no time/money to go to a festival for just only one band in particular.. I still don't understand why the new singer sucks so much though? In Imperanon he fucking kicks ass and sounds very similiar to Petri..
But yes, if they can't tour they shouldn't continue. I would have seen them live this year, but they were cancelled because one bandmember needed to do some tentam... Damn.
Jam4Lyfe - 31.07.2012 at 21:18
This really disappoints me. Their last album brought happiness to my heart as it was played at my sisters wedding. They will always have a special place in my heart and bring back good memories every time i listen to it in the future.
Mattybu - 04.08.2012 at 02:00
Their first couple albums weren't bad. Was easy enough to tell though after their last that this band wasn't going anywhere good.
metalhead7771 - 15.08.2012 at 09:14
This saddens me greatly they were my alltime favorite band
Foxer - 15.08.2012 at 15:48
Yeah, finally! Their last album was sooo weak. Hope that Jukka will get involved more in Wintersun.
metal2000 - 11.12.2012 at 12:14
Damn Norther, why you have to quit, I hate you, you were my fav band all the time

News Enochian Crescent - Calling It Quits 4 05.07.2012 by BudDa
News Imagika - Are Calling It Quits 4 07.01.2011 by Kamil
News Gorath - Calling It Quits After New Album 4 07.12.2012 by
News Draugr - Calling It Quits 4 11.11.2013 by Gothmog_Motsham
News Mötley Crüe - Announce Final Tour, Calling It Quits 4 29.01.2014 by ManiacBlasphemer