Therion mastermind Christopher Johnsson was recently interviewed by Greek Rock Overdose and confirmed that their European 25th Anniversary Tour will be their last tour for many years.

Christopher Johnsson explains that the band won't be taking a break but rather focus on a Therion rock opera, instead of thinking about a regular album. This is going to take a while hence the tour holiday. You can read the full interview here.

Dutch venue "Effenaar" where Therion will kick off their European 25th Anniversary tour also posted the same news about the band: "After 25 years, the band Therion has decided to start a different journey. Therion main man and founder Christofer Johnson has announced that there will be no more regular album releases and no more regular tours for many years. The band will perform at festivals from time to time, but apart from that they will focus on different band projects."

"The first project is an art project celebrating the 25th anniversary of the band. The project involves a self released CD that will be entitled Les Fleurs Du Mal, which will be sold at the band's concerts during the Flowers of Evil tour in Europe. The record will later be licensed and distributed to record stores. At this point, nobody knows how the album sounds, as they are not sending out any promotional copies to the press until the first concert."

"At each show of the Flowers of Evil tour, Christofer Johnsson has also announced that he will be spending several hours meeting with the fans, dedicating CD's, making photos, and just hanging out to talk with people. After this project has ended, the band has said they will be working on a rock opera, a huge project that will take several years to realise."

Source: rockoverdose.gr
Band profile: Therion

Posted: 12.09.2012 by rush2212

Comments

Bad English - 12.09.2012 at 21:04
Its nothing whit out old death metal matherial
chronic-headache - 12.09.2012 at 21:31
I'm glad that they aren't throwing in the towel, but the lack of regular albums makes me sad :'(
@gent_-_orange - 12.09.2012 at 21:35
Written by Bad English on 12.09.2012 at 21:04

Its nothing whit out old death metal matherial

Totally agreed, Its a shame they went the way they did.
Ellrohir - 12.09.2012 at 22:21
Yea, because all what we need is another random and soulless death metal band...its a shame they did something different and they practically defined a whole new genre... :/
Marcel Hubregtse - 12.09.2012 at 22:35
Written by Ellrohir on 12.09.2012 at 22:21

When Therion still played death metal they were far from another random and soulless death metal band.
Ellrohir - 12.09.2012 at 22:46
Ok, but i still highly doubt, they would be as popular, influential and important as after they turned into symphonic waves...
Vombatus - 12.09.2012 at 22:48
Agree with Marcel. Awesome old school Dm debut and then a couple of crazy albums (my fav being Symphony Masses) made Therion quite unique.
I also love their Symphonic style, but honestly, after the last album (and maybe even Gothic) they went downhill. Mr.Johnsson also seems to be more interested in other things, so it's a good decision.

Might go to see them, as it will probably be the last chance to see a decent show by them, considering an opera rock doesn't appeal to me at all.
Opethian - 12.09.2012 at 23:31
Written by Ellrohir on 12.09.2012 at 22:21

Fucking amen! Couldnt have said it better myself I love their early death Metal records, but they totally added that whole 'Wow Factor' to their Symphonic Material I wish they would do a follow up to Sitra Ahra with something amazing. It was somewhat of a letdown for me ..

Best wishes for Therion in 2013
Opethian - 12.09.2012 at 23:34
Written by Vombatus on 12.09.2012 at 22:48

Listen to Demonoid. Its what i would call a Modern Death Metal version of Therion if they had stayed with Death Metal
BogdanIonut - 13.09.2012 at 00:07
Symphony Masses was indeed a great DM album, but Therion felt like a drop in an ocean filled with death metal bands. Seriously, they might've had their own touch but death metal is known as a genre that is not innovative and can it is hard to experiment with.

Their DM time was great but their symphonic era is far greater. Albums like Vovin, Secret of the Runes, Lemuria & Sirius B even Gothic Kaballah were amazing works. Sitra Arha was kind of a letdown but it still had some good songs.

Now, the fact that they won't release regular albums for a long period of time kinda upsets me, though I hope that they will do a great job like we are already used.
LeChron James - 13.09.2012 at 01:49
Well hopefully they come to SF, it'd be down to see them, especially since its their last tour for awhile.
AngelofDeth - 13.09.2012 at 05:48
Rock Opera?? Im down
M C Vice - 13.09.2012 at 10:33
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.09.2012 at 22:35

Written by Ellrohir on 12.09.2012 at 22:21

I'd be good if they released another death/deathish album. Kind of a full circle sort of thing. A Lemuria/Beyond Sanctorium hybrid sounds good.
Yellax - 13.09.2012 at 18:17
Dammit. They never come to Canada. They came here seven years ago. I think that is the last time they ever came here. Now I hear that they are doing a 25th Anniversary Tour and its only in Europe. On top of that, its going to be their last tour for a while? Fuck Therion!
Unhealer - 14.09.2012 at 08:25
"The CD itself is fully financed by me. Nuclear Blast thought it was a bit too spectacular and we have totally different visions about how we should work on such a project. I've had a fantastic relationship with that wonderful label over the years. I've had total artistic freedom and much patience from them in a way that most other artists at our level only could dream of at many labels. So rather than having disagreements and make compromises, I suggested I release it by myself instead and they generously gave me their blessings for it. So our relation has never been better than now. "

"I've been called risky and more crazy than usual with my ideas for this art project, by some of those very few who have been initiated into the mysteries of it. Even within the Band there has been quite some strong feelings about it. And clearly the record label didn't think they had a smash hit in their hands. This pretty much reminds me about the feeling when Theli was recorded. I recall the record label saying: "Do you really think we can sell this? What will your fans say?"."

I'm really wondering how this Fleurs Du Mal sounds. I mean, how weird can a Therion record be so that Nuclear Blast says "No, we are not going to release this"?
BloodTears - 15.09.2012 at 12:43
Written by Unhealer on 14.09.2012 at 08:25

That is actually a scary thought. I'm just sad they won't play in Portugal and that after all these years I never had the chance to see them live and now who knows when they'll tour again.
Daggon - 20.09.2012 at 18:31
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.09.2012 at 22:35

Written by Ellrohir on 12.09.2012 at 22:21

Couldn't say that better by myself, they were not another soulless death metal band, they were recognized as a band because their work on their first demos and "Of Darkness..." was pure genius. Compared to their last two or three albums, their first works are far superior, and that comes from a Therion hardcore fan.
SerpentMessiah - 25.09.2012 at 18:50
Each time Therion made an album people complained they fucked up, only to praise the same album some time later as the best thing they yet produced. This is not to say their DM albums are bad but with so much DM bands out there, I think they could hardly make a name for themselves.

This one is gonna be different from the previous ones, so give it a chance, keep open mind and you might be surprised. Therion is a unique band that keeps doing what it does best - surprising people and making great music.

News Therion - Announce European 25th Anniversary Tour And New Album 9 15.02.2012 by SceneryOfLoss
News Paradise Lost - Confirm More Dates For 25th Anniversary Tour 7 16.07.2013 by tricky
Events ESP, Madrid - Therion: 25th Anniversary Tour 6 15.02.2012 by Vombatus
Events HUN, Budapest - Therion: 25th Anniversary Tour 6 14.02.2012 by csiga
Events NED, Eindhoven - Therion: 25th Anniversary Tour 6 13.09.2012 by musclassia