After announcing that David Draiman would make a guest appearance on their upcoming new album Super Collider, thrash veterans Megadeth have officially unveiled the cover artwork that will grace the album. Take a look at it below. You can also head over to this location to listen to a clip of a brand new song from the album entitled "Don't Turn Your Back" and solve the cover game for yourself if you want.

Super Collider is set for release on June 4th through Mustaine's new label, Tradecraft. You can catch Megadeth on their European shows this summer or with Iron Maiden in the US in September.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Megadeth

Posted: 11.04.2013 by BloodTears

Comments page 2 of 2

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: 1 [2]

Mattybu - 11.04.2013 at 23:51
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 11.04.2013 at 17:02

The artwork would be better if it wasn't so saturated. I'm also pretty sure those lens flares are entirely manufactured too.

You have a sharp eye my friend, I agree completely with both of those statements. Not only that but I think to really pull it together the artwork would require something that is actually visually interesting... the collider thing is just a steel wall in a circle shape basically. I think the over-saturation and lens flare effect could be a sort of replacement for having anything actually visually interesting...

That's the way I see it anyways
Angelic Storm - 12.04.2013 at 00:23
Written by romeck on 11.04.2013 at 21:25

No Vic Rattlehead?

Well, Vic hasn't featured on the vast majority of Megadeth album covers since 1990, so it's not much of a surprise to me that he isn't on this cover artwork. The album cover seems very hastily and lazily put together, so... it would have been nice if Vic had been incorporated into the artwork somehow, but in the end, it's how the music on the album sounds that will be the main thing.
Medievalman - 12.04.2013 at 00:36
I invite everyone commenting on art on this post to take a closer look at the center of the collider, maybe you will see someone starring back at you.
Angelic Storm - 12.04.2013 at 00:48
Written by Medievalman on 12.04.2013 at 00:36

I'm assuming you mean right at the back of the collider, if you look closely, you can see Vic? It does sort of resemble Vic I grant you, but if you take a look at the original photo that was used for this artwork, that exactly same pattern is there. It's a mere coincidence that the pattern in the back of the photo resembles Vic, it unfortunately wasn't purposely put there by whoever doctored the image.
Lord_Regnier - 12.04.2013 at 01:57
All I can say about the clip is it sucks big time.

And is it so hard to understand that by 'artwork', Angelic Storm only wished to underline the difference between something entirely hand-made (a drawing or painting) and a real image caught with technology (a photograph from a camera, for example)? And that both are different? For example, I could take a photograph but I can't make a painting.

In any case, this cover is horrible.
!J.O.O.E.! - 12.04.2013 at 02:37
Written by Lord_Regnier on 12.04.2013 at 01:57

All I can say about the clip is it sucks big time.

In any case, this cover is horrible.

And once again we have someone confusing art in a subjective context and making something of the medium called art.

Your example is completely incorrect because if you took a paint brush and drew a simple line on a canvas you would have made a painting. If you held a camera and took a blurry picture of a wall you would have taken a photograph. I'm amazed people don't understand the difference between the simple concept of making something that belongs to the medium of art and making something artistically good. The first is not incumbent on the second.

Camera - Paintbrush

Canvas - Film + Photographic Paper / Photoshop etc.

I don't see people making their own paint. So not entirely hand made, like a photograph is not entirely hand made. There are infinite ways to manipulate an image with a camera. If you can't see that then that's an issue with your lack of vision and technical knowledge but a painting is as every way artistic as a photo.
Lord_Regnier - 12.04.2013 at 02:51
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 12.04.2013 at 02:37

Your example is completely incorrect because if you took a paint brush and drew a simple line on a canvas you would have made a painting. If you held a camera and took a blurry picture of a wall you would have taken a photograph. I'm amazed people don't understand the difference between the simple concept of making something that belongs to the medium of art and making something artistically good. The first is not incumbent on the first.

And I totally understand all this. I'm not denying in any way that both are a form of art. What you say is correct.
I just wished to say that it wasn't hard to get the meaning of Angelic Storm's post and that some people are making too much of a fuss about it.
!J.O.O.E.! - 12.04.2013 at 02:58
Written by Lord_Regnier on 12.04.2013 at 02:51

No one got her post because she said that a photo could not be considered as an album artwork. The only thing I could see that caused confusion is that AS suggested that the term "artwork" in this context is a subjective thing, which it isn't. Anything that appears on an album is a form of artwork. If you ask me the problem here was with no one but AS for not saying outright and simply that the album was not artistically pleasing.
Lord_Regnier - 12.04.2013 at 03:53
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 12.04.2013 at 02:58

Written by Lord_Regnier on 12.04.2013 at 02:51

OK. I understand. She admitted, I believe, that she should have explained better. It seems I was the only one to get her point right away and I guess it's because I probably know her better than most people here. You know, when you're more familiar with someone, you sometimes read between the lines and understand what is not specifically written.

I will end this discussion here. I think what has to be said is said. Now, back to the topic: this clip really sounds boring.
sladetroityer - 12.04.2013 at 04:15
Amazingly, the song sounds great, I'm impressed. As for the album cover where's Vic?
renai - 12.04.2013 at 04:21
Aww... photoshop's lens flare? Come on Dave, this is too amateur for Megadeth. The clip is okay.
Angelic Storm - 12.04.2013 at 04:24
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 12.04.2013 at 02:58

Geez... I did not actually say the photo couldn't be considered as an album artwork, not even in my initial post. My error, was using the word "artwork" instead of "art", it's as simple as that. As what constitutes "art" is at least to a degree, subjective. That an album cover is "cover artwork", is a fact, regardless of the artistic merit of the artwork. Even Marcel himself said that it was only original art "because of the way it was used", and that a normal photo is a piece of art "given the right context". So in actual fact, his opinion on the subject was no different from mine. Lord_Regnier was able to read between the lines, and recognised the point I was making, though I have admitted that it was my fault that others got the wrong idea about what I was getting at. I've acknowledged that I was mostly to blame for the misunderstanding (and a misunderstanding is exactly what it was), and now that I've explained myself, that should be an end to it.
Misfit74 - 12.04.2013 at 06:32
Megadeth going with down-tuned guitars on this sample track...interesting.
LeChron James - 12.04.2013 at 08:00
That opening riff sounded like something I've heard before (not necessarily from Megadeth. In fact, I'm sure I've heard it from some other band). Early thoughts is that this album, like the last few Megadeth albums, is gonna have one or two good songs and the other nine or 10 will be filler.
!J.O.O.E.! - 12.04.2013 at 12:38
Written by Angelic Storm on 12.04.2013 at 04:24

Well I can only take people at what they write. "album artwork" is practically the de facto expression for what appears on the album cover so why you suddenly confuse that term to me is a mystery. And as for Lord Regnier getting what you meant straight away, his initial statement of "for example, I could take a photograph but I can't make a painting." shows to me that he didn't understand the points at hand at all.
Angelic Storm - 12.04.2013 at 13:28
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 12.04.2013 at 12:38

Except that I never used the exact term "album artwork" in my initial post. So I'm not confusing the term, seeing as I never actually used it. And in my very next post, I said that a photo can be album artwork. So if you're taking me at what I wrote, then you made an error of judgement, just as much as I did.

As for your second point, Marcel himself said that a "normal photo" could be considered a piece of art "given the right context". Whereas you seem to be saying that any photo is automatically classed as art (I apologise if I've misread you). If that is what you're saying, why did you not take issue with Marcel? And if that isn't what you're saying, why have a problem with what Lord Regnier said? I can understand that issue to a certain extent, as anyone can make a painting. However, being able to create a good painting, is a different matter entirely. A piece of art can be completely devoid of artistic merit, but still be a piece of art. That is something I would not argue is the case.

At the risk of going terribly off topic, I remember there being a great deal of furore in the art world a few years ago, when a man won the Turner Prize for an empty room where the lights simply went off and on. There was a lot of debate at the time over whether that could even be considered art, and by people much more well versed in the arts than me. But yet it still won a very prestigious prize in the art world. And I've seen similar debates over things such as an untidy bedroom being displayed as art. Even in the world of the arts, there is much debate over what is and what isn't art.
Medievalman - 13.04.2013 at 00:26
Quote:

It's clearly Vic Rattlehead at the back, you can see the staples on his mouth. Look for a higher res picture.

The audio sounds decent, maybe he just settled for some more straight-forward stuff instead of trying to make the new best Megadeth album, but I'll have to wait and hear what his take on southern rock/blues sounds like.
Angelic Storm - 13.04.2013 at 02:12
Written by Medievalman on 13.04.2013 at 00:26

If you look at the original, undoctored photo that was used for the cover, that exact same Vic shaped pattern is there at the back. It's not Vic, though it's a funny coincidence that it does sort of resemble him. I'm amazed nobody involved with the artwork didn't notice that, and put Vic in that spot. All they would have needed to do is add a bit of extra detail to what is already there.

Well, even if we're talking about more straight-forward Megadeth, there has been some great songs of that type for Megadeth in the past, such as "The Scorpion", "Reckoning Day", or "Die Dead Enough". So it's not so much the type of song, rather than the new audio clip sounding pedestrian and dull. Of course, it would be wrong to jump to conclusions about the whole album just based on that one short clip, but it certainly doesn't raise expectations, that's for sure. Apparently David Ellefson said some of the new material sounded like stuff from "Killing Is My Business"... I highly doubt that is the case, though it would be awesome if it was true! I remember my expectations for "United Abominations" were very high after they released "Sleepwalker" a few weeks before that album's release, and was left a bit disappointed when I heard the whole album. My expectations for the new album are low, but hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised by it.
bloodface - 14.04.2013 at 10:34
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.04.2013 at 15:34

Written by Angelic Storm on 11.04.2013 at 15:25

Why is it always the usual suspects that descend on my posts like a pack of hungry hyenas? With Mr. Doctor in particular being a smartass. :p

I didn't say that a photograph can't be art, I was just misinterpreted.

Why people attack you on this is because of what you said...

Quote:

(I think it's actually a photo, rather than an actual artwork)

Then ytou clearly don't understand the concept of what makes something art. Because a normal photo is an actual piece of art as well given the right context. According to your reasoning none of the Dutch Golden Age painters made art. Like The Nightwatch by Rembrandt. That was a commission piece just like a group photograph is currently.

storm......

1. I completely agree with you regarding the artwork and the music on "the system has failed"

2. don't sweat the annoying criticism over a casual internet post. i appreciate your input on the site as well as your pleasant nature.

if it wasn't for the picky fools on this site i would probably have written mote reviews and shared more of my thoughts. i would think staff members would encourage feedback and maybe choose a different tone to challenge a members comments.

p.s. i wish death on the next person that thinks a band is incorrectly categorized (post metal, alt metal, metal core, industrial metal , nu metal, doom metal, progressive metal, etc.). shut up and stop being a pussy.......it doesn't fucking matter.

p.s.s. i hope i mispelled something in hear that some nerd that lives in his mom's basement picks up on and needs to post about and correct.
Angelic Storm - 14.04.2013 at 11:19
Written by bloodface on 14.04.2013 at 10:34
storm......

The irony of that album having cover artwork which closely resembled Ed Repka's style of art, certainly wasn't lost on me. Whilst it wasn't a full on return to the glory days of the band's sound (1985-1990), it certainly is the closest that Dave has come to recapturing the attitude and spirit that Megadeth had in those days. If anything, it sounds like the album they should have followed Rust In Peace with. As it shows progression, and more melodic sensibilities, but not at the expense of the macabre edge and aggression that the first 4 albums had. I actually like quite a bit of Megadeth's "sold out era" (1992-1999) stuff, but the band had definitely lost some of it's mojo during that time, and "The World Needs A Hero" just sounded like a half-hearted attempt at a "return to the roots" to me.

About the criticism, I don't really want to comment further on that.

Have we spoken before? I don't recognise your user name... did you once have a different user name? Because I definitely haven't spoken to a member called bloodface before. I thank you for your kind words though, it's appreciated.
bloodface - 14.04.2013 at 19:07
Quote:

About the criticism, I don't really want to comment further on that.

i was on previously, but my account died after being off for a while and i couldn't get it resuscitated. whoever shows as the reviewer for testaments "the gathering", twisted sisters "stay hungry", judas priests "defenders of the faith" and anthrax's "the greater of two evils" is me.

it's nice that there are tons of record stores here in chicago, but the annoying elitist pricks that work in them kill me. they need to lighten up and listen to van halen, but the perception of the music they are listening to is more important to them than the music they listen to. i always found that metal was less judgmental.....the fans are generally less snotty. i could go to a testament show and see older people (like me) and younger people / men and women / someone with a dokken shirt and someone else with a burzum shirt......metal can be corporate darlings (motley crue), recent indie success stories (mastodon) or a darker more underground band like mayhem (i am pretty sure someone without a life will chime in and say that mayhem is not underground and that they only like their first release.....we all know that generally you give yourself crediblity if you say you only like a bands early work even if you don't know what you are talking about).

when i see a staff members and seasoned users copping a snotty attitude on this sight it makes me want to listen to godsmack rather than explore something that i don't know, which is what their input should be more geared towards.

i also hate seeing staff members referring to people as fanboys. why the hell would most people spend time posting a review or comment on something that they didn't really care about one way or the other. the input of every user should be appreciated (you wouldn't be "staff" if you didn't have traffic) and it should be expected that most user reviews are going to be coming from fans of the band, which inflates the review. most people aren't going to waste their time on a review that they will rate a 6 since there is know fuel energizing the person to write it.
Angelic Storm - 14.04.2013 at 20:18
Written by bloodface on 14.04.2013 at 19:07

Well, there's 2 reviews of "The Gathering", but I'm assuming you're amerislave, cos when I clicked on that profile, I was redirected to the Metal Storm homepage. I don't recognise that user name either, and I don't believe we have ever spoke, but it's nice to hear your positive words about my contribution to the site.
Amatsu Mikaboshi - 16.04.2013 at 04:27
Quote:
Since when is cover art indicative of the music on the album?

Ah, who are we to kid? Lets just be honest. As a majority of what I've seen and heard, there just seems to be SUCH an uncharted parallel of uninspired and shite albums containing what deem to look too having uninspired (or failed/ badly designed) and well... shite looking attempts for album artwork.
Maco - 17.04.2013 at 03:38
Is it really important the artwork?
Angelic Storm - 17.04.2013 at 14:32
Written by Maco on 17.04.2013 at 03:38

Is it really important the artwork?

For me, good artwork is merely a bonus for an album, and nothing more than that.
Maco - 18.04.2013 at 00:00
Written by Angelic Storm on 17.04.2013 at 14:32

Written by Maco on 17.04.2013 at 03:38

Is it really important the artwork?

why? i don't get it
Zaphod - 22.04.2013 at 19:11
Written by Maco on 18.04.2013 at 00:00

why? i don't get it

There are people who, like me, buy physical copies of their music (CDs, Vinyls, box sets etc.) It's much more pleasant to have a collection of Vinyl covers hanging on your wall that actually look good than ones that contain good music but look like shit.
Angelic Storm - 22.04.2013 at 20:22
Written by Zaphod on 22.04.2013 at 19:11

I also buy physical copies of my music, and I nonetheless feel that the artwork/packaging of an album is very much secondary to the music contained within it. Then again, I don't hang my vinyl covers on my wall.

I do value good artwork, and it can enhance the overall experience of owning an album. But at the end of the day, as long as an album is great musically, I can overlook the artwork if it isn't very good. Some of the later Helloween albums have had bad artwork, but the music on those albums were great, and that was the most important thing.
Marcel Hubregtse - 22.04.2013 at 20:28
Written by Angelic Storm on 22.04.2013 at 20:22

Written by Zaphod on 22.04.2013 at 19:11

All my vinyl on the wall? or all cd artwork? My God, who will buy me a castle with enough wall space?
Angelic Storm - 22.04.2013 at 20:42
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.04.2013 at 20:28

Ditto. I'd need a mansion or a castle to hang up all the album artwork I have on the walls.
Zaphod - 22.04.2013 at 21:09
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.04.2013 at 20:28

I hang all my Vinyls on the wall because I mostly have CDs .

Written by Angelic Storm on 22.04.2013 at 20:22

About the whole album art thing being secondary to the music: of course it is, but it's always nice if the cover is good
Jaeryd17‍ - 26.04.2013 at 13:11
Written by Angelic Storm on 11.04.2013 at 17:10

Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 11.04.2013 at 17:02

Yep, I suspect if they had just used the actual photo itself, without touching it up at all, it would have looked better. I think the "photoshopping" is the reason why it looks so saturated.

I think this is the actual photo used in the artwork:

Actually, I think it was closer to this one:

Not that it really matters--it's nearly the same thing--except it shows that they probably didn't even do the work that it took to crop it. They just took this picture and added two or three effects to it, nothing more. How ridiculously lazy and pathetic.

Anyway, here's a link to the site where that comes from. Just in case you wanted to know more about supercolliders.

EDIT: I guess I lied, the album art is cropped slightly different than the picture I posted. Whatever, it still sucks.
Jaeryd17‍ - 26.04.2013 at 13:33
Here, I made myself one in Paint in, like, 10 minutes.

Pages: 1 [2]

News Fear Factory - New Album Cover Art Revealed, New Song Online 8.5 12.11.2009 by Uirapuru
News Paradox - New Album Cover Art Revealed And New Song Online 8.5 22.09.2009 by White Winter Sun
News Midnattsol - New Album Cover Art Revealed, Teaser Online 8.5 20.02.2011 by Raven90
News Black Sabbath - Release New Album Cover And Audio Snippet 8.5 05.04.2013 by Angelic Storm
News Metalium - New Album Cover Art Revealed And Samples Online 8.5 22.09.2009 by Black Conundrum