Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman passed away today aged 49 due to liver failure. Jeff was one of the founding members of the American thrash band, and will certainly be missed by many the world over.

The official statement from the band's Facebook page reads:

Slayer is devastated to inform that their bandmate and brother, Jeff Hanneman, passed away at about 11AM this morning near his Southern California home. Hanneman was in an area hospital when he suffered liver failure. He is survived by his wife Kathy, his sister Kathy and his brothers Michael and Larry, and will be sorely missed.

Our Brother Jeff Hanneman, May He Rest In Peace (1964 - 2013)

Band profile: Slayer

Posted: 03.05.2013 by Baz Anderson

Comments page 3 of 4

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Valentin B - 03.05.2013 at 16:03
Rest in thrash.
D.T. Metal - 03.05.2013 at 16:10
This sucks - so bad - on so many levels.
Folks, cherish the time you have with your friends. This passing shows us once again how limited our time really is
Jtbmetal123 - 03.05.2013 at 17:14
This is horrible, he will truely be missed.
Spacerunner - 03.05.2013 at 17:27
Oh no... Extremely sad and unexpected news... People should not die at this age...
Thank you for your music, Jeff. Rest in peace.
Dark†SymphonY - 03.05.2013 at 17:57
Such sad news, R.I.P and will be remembered in metal.
DeathSlyzer - 03.05.2013 at 18:07
These are very sad news, indeed. I don't even know what I should say to this. There have been a lot of great people that have passed away in the last couple years, but none of them played in bands I care for. This is the first time that has ever happened to me, and I've been into metal for about 5-6 years.

R.I.P. Jeff. You will be missed!
Pokermask - 03.05.2013 at 18:41
I really did not see this coming, yet I had this bad feeling before that it probably would. Nevertheless, these are truly tragic news. Slayer is one of the bands that truly opened my mind towards metal and helped me discover the depths of this genre, so Jeff definitely had a very big influence on me.

The band have a choice to make now. Hire a new guitarist (most likely Gary Holt) to bring Jeff's legacy forward, or simply just call it quits. To be honest, I would rather prefer them to just call it quits. I can't see any possibility of this band continuing without him.

R.I.P. Jeff. You will always be remembered.
okkulta - 03.05.2013 at 19:07
I grew up with you and now you will be missed, Jeff, great brother of mine... See you in better places....
Megadeth88 - 03.05.2013 at 20:22
I'm still in complete shock that he's dead. I never thought we'd lose such an influential person in metal this soon. Where ever you may go, stay heavy and thrash on. \m/

R.I.P. Jeff....
Mr. Blonde - 03.05.2013 at 21:32
Have to pay respects to a man that was in many ways the driving force of creativity behind a band that (while didn't first introduce me to metal) made me never look at any other music other than metal the same way again. After first hearing Slayer (for me it was in the early 90's), it actually was difficult to even appreciate anything non-metal for a good while. Jeff was known as most of us know for many of the darker toned songs from Slayer that were really years ahead of their time and inspired entire sub-genres of metal in a sense.

Anyways, I'm a fan of the expression that everyone dies twice. Once when you physically expire, and then not again until someone says your name for the last time. In this sense, Jeff Hanneman can live on forever as long as he continues to get the recognition for being such a creative force in a very consistent band.

As for their future. Should they go on without him? How about yes and no. Perhaps they should go on one tour with Holt and give the fans one last swan song tour, but then after that call it quits (as Slayer). Or perhaps they should just continue on, but under a new name.

R.I.P. Jeff
BitterCOld - 03.05.2013 at 21:57
Robb Flynn of machine head and Vio-Lence had some great recollections about Jeff.
In Bone Factory - 03.05.2013 at 22:09
RIP Jeff \m/
neshter - 03.05.2013 at 22:18
RIP
JD - 03.05.2013 at 22:28
R.I.P
Angelic Storm - 03.05.2013 at 22:28
Written by Lord_Regnier on 03.05.2013 at 06:34
I'm in shock myself. Jeff Hanneman was my favorite guitar player on the Thrash scene, along with Mille Petrozza.
And he wrote most of the songs I love from Slayer.

The guitar tandem Hanneman-King is my favorite ever and renowned (rightfully so) as one of the best guitar tandems in the history of music.

Yes, Slayer should retire now. It wouldn't be Slayer without Jeff Hanneman anyway.

R.I.P
As a huge fan of extreme Metal, I owe much to this man for his invaluable contribution to the genesis and development of extreme music, especially riff-wise. Without his influence, I highly doubt extreme Metal would be what it is today.
Never before as a death amongst Metal musicians touched me so much. Metal-wise, it's the saddest day ever in my life.

Jeff's lead guitar tone, I fell in love with, right from that first moment hearing that scathing lead break during the end section of "South Of Heaven". I know loads of people loved running down Slayer's guitarists, trying to make out that they "couldn't play". But that is simply ignorance. A guitar player doesn't need to be a virtuoso, or a neo-classical shredder to be considered as a great player. Though some narrow minds seem to believe that this is the case. Jeff had a style and tone that was bonechilling, captivating, and most importantly, unique. When I was growing up in my early-mid teens, there were 2 guitar players in particular that inspired me more than any other to pick up a guitar. Marty Friedman, and even more so, Jeff Hanneman. I still remember learning the main riff of "Angel Of Death" on a cheap, nylon string acoustic. Both at home, and locking myself in the music practice room at school during lunch break.

The guitar tag team of Hanneman/King is undoubtedly one the greatest guitar teams in history, and for me, second only to the original masters of the metal twin lead guitar sound, KK Downing and Glenn Tipton of Priest.

As for Slayer retiring, I simply mean they should cease to function as a functioning band in the creative, and writing sense. Although I very much enjoy some of the material that Kerry wrote for Slayer (and I do think his contribution is sometimes unfairly overlooked), it is true that the majority of Slayer's greatest and most classic songs were either written entirely by, or at least co-written by Jeff. No more new albums should be recorded under the name "Slayer", as without Jeff, a key ingrediant would be missing from the mix. A Slayer album without his input, or the guitar team of Hanneman/King is just unthinkable to me. However, I wouldn't be adverse to Tom, Kerry and Dave playing live shows, and honouring Jeff's legacy in that sense.

I did cry shortly after hearing the news, and I guess that I shouldn't be so surprised by that, as Jeff's music and yes, his playing, had such a huge impact on my life, my desire to be a musician, and a greater appreciation for the darker, more aggressive side of the metal sound. His loss is great, but through his music, he is immortal, which is something that I can take some happiness from in this dark day for metal.

@Bittercold: I read Robb Flynn's recollections earlier today. The last memory he shared in particular, was heartbreaking. It makes me wonder how depressed Jeff must have been during the past couple of years, to be out of Slayer for so long, and not being able to play guitar the way he once did.
belphegor666 - 03.05.2013 at 23:59
What a sad day...my biggest herroe went awya from us...now Slayer is just a word without meaning...Jeff is dead, dave left....without them slayer is nothing...and from 5 years my biggest wish was to see them one day live with the original line-up..but now my dream is ruined...Slayer will never be the same...REST IN PEACE JEFF...We Will Always Have You In Our Hearts ... Lets Raise Our Horns And Shout All Together SSSLLLAAAYYYEEERRR
afu - 04.05.2013 at 01:20
This ruined yesterday for me.... Almost every Slayer song I think is great was written by him.
Timelord - 04.05.2013 at 01:40
To me this news is surreal. Seems like a week ago I was 14 and buying Haunting the Chapel EP. To me it seems that time is speeding up and all of my generation are dieing out. Bothers me so much that I embraced heroin so I wouldn't have to keep thinking about it every second. All that did was make things worse. Jeff order me a drink be there soon. Until then broheim.............
Egigantea - 04.05.2013 at 02:10
I first I thought this was a prank but it seems it's all real enough.
May his influence live on.
Dedcalm - 04.05.2013 at 02:13
First of all i need to say that i was truly saddened by the news of Jeff's passing. I've been a fan of Slayer for around 23 / 24 years. I have nothing but the deepest condolences for his family, the band and crew and any one whose life he touched. Slayer helped me through some very hard times including stays in a mental health ward and recovering from a suicide attempt. The recognition for this and all the other people they have helped and some cases I'm sure, saved, goes in no small part to Jeff. His contribution to the band is huge and i have the deepest respect for his colossal talents. R.I.P. Brother. You will be truly missed by very many.

Ok. The second thing i want to say is how can you possibly call for slayer to retire. Do any of you truly believe Jeff would want the band he loved to end because of him? I don't. I think the band should continue as best they can in tribute to this great artist.

One more thing. The person who said 'Why couldnt it have been Kerry?' You disgust me. I'm ashamed to think that one metalhead would wish another dead. How can you even think thats appropriate? One person from our world dies and you want another to go in his place? Please look at yourself in the mirror and think of what you said. I really hope you dislike what you see. Thats wrong man. We are family. We are one. We are metal.

R.I.P. Jeff Hanneman.
unswabbed - 04.05.2013 at 10:25
R.I.P. Jeff, slayer never be the same without you
Monolithic - 04.05.2013 at 10:29
The world of metal lost a great icon.

R.I.P
Himedal - 04.05.2013 at 12:08
With Lombardo gon and Hanneman dead, Slayer won't last longer. I AM SO FUCKING MAD. Why should a legendary band end like this?
MrClansman1 - 04.05.2013 at 12:20
What the hell ?! R.I.P.
Azazel - 04.05.2013 at 14:34
Ronnie, Paul Gray, Dimebag, and now jeff. Satan is putting together one hell of a band. R.I.P.
Var Bruja - 04.05.2013 at 14:45
R.I.P. Brother!
Daggon - 04.05.2013 at 20:50
As I said on facebook, I've never been so sad about the passing away of a musician until today.

Most people won't understand why I care so much about this news, unless they are metalheads, all I can say is that Slayer is and will always be my favorite Thrash metal band, they've changed my way seeing life, my way of listening to music and of course, they defined my favorite genre in the entire spectrum of metal.

Just to put it into perspective, if I love Slayer, if I love so much Thrash metal it's because the first song of them I listened to was one written and composed by Jeff himself: "Angel Of Death".

I'm sure that almost any single musician around the world, the ones who are veterans of the genre, or the ones that are just starting, or even those outside the world of Metal, have been influenced by his music at least once in their lives, THAT is called legacy motherfuckers.

He was already a living legend, but now he will be a legend for all eternity, and sadly, now I'll never be able to see him playing his amazing riffs live.

Rest In Peace, Jeffery John Hanneman.
Lord_Regnier - 04.05.2013 at 23:40
Written by Angelic Storm on 03.05.2013 at 22:28

Saying that Slayer's guitarists can't play is sheer ignorance. Just pick-up a guitar and try to play a Slayer song, you will realize how complex and fast it is to play. Strange, how people react sometimes when they don't like something. I don't want to start a debate but I heard this kind of comment from people: they dismissed Slayer as sucky guitar players, while praising Iron Maiden at the same time. Now, I don't want to start a debate and I'm not a guitar player myself, but every Metal guitarist I talked to in my life told me that playing Slayer's songs is much harder than playing Iron Maiden's. Slayer's style is very demanding, in any case.

Funny that you mention "Angel Of Death". I will always remember the first time I heard the song. When the opening riff started, I felt a chilling up my spine. Never before had I heard something so extreme. I can listen to any kind of extreme music now and nothing frightens me but at that time, in 1986, it was one of those rare instances when music really chilled my bones.

Written by Angelic Storm on 03.05.2013 at 22:28

Kerry King receives lots of hate from some people and I can't understand why. He's an excellent guitar player and he also wrote some good songs for Slayer. He's by far not the songwriter Jeff was but that doesn't mean he should be scorned. Imo, Kerry was the perfect counterpart for Jeff, by his pure intensity.

I can't imagine Slayer writing new songs without Jeff's contribution, indeed. He was too important to be replaced. But that doesn't mean Slayer should not tour and play their old songs live, I agree.

Written by Angelic Storm on 03.05.2013 at 22:28

I did not cry but it's not because I wasn't sad. When I read the news, I was in this kind of state when you're so shocked you seem unable to react in any way. I just stared at the screen, jaw-dropping, stupidly. I can expect some Metal musicians to die, as lots of then are aging, but Jeff was still young. The news took me completely unprepared. Like countless other Metal fans, Slayer has been my gateway towards extreme Metal and, Imo, no other band has been more important and influential in the genesis of extreme Metal than Slayer. My consolation is that Jeff will never completely die, in the sense that his legacy will always live. He immortalized himself throughout his music, which is more than lots of us will ever accomplish.
He was a living legend, now he is a true legend that will be remembered forever.
Lord_Regnier - 04.05.2013 at 23:47
Written by Dedcalm on 04.05.2013 at 02:13

This comment was of a very bad taste, indeed.
And even if the case it was a joke, it was not a funny one at all.
Cynic Metalhead - 05.05.2013 at 17:29
Written by Angelic Storm on 03.05.2013 at 22:28

Written by Lord_Regnier on 03.05.2013 at 06:34
And he wrote most of the songs I love from Slayer.

R.I.P

Flynn said:

Quote:
He said he'd been having a lot of pain in his wrists, his hands and wrists were going numb all the time, and would go numb during those songs because they were really fast, then he started to cry. It was a startling confession. I offered some awkward feel-good comment, but he just continued to cry, and I decided to sit there in the silence with him for a minute.

He knew it his wheels gonna come off. Pretty sad that he ended it up at 49.
Xunger08 - 05.05.2013 at 19:14
R.I.P Jeff. Such a terrible loss...
maddoc - 05.05.2013 at 22:25
Jeff is dead. Slayer is dying along too. He was one of most influential person who influenced on heavy music for the last decades! Now the Titan is dead. All heavy world is full of a great sorrow! All genius men don't live long....
Guib - 06.05.2013 at 03:41
Again I'm being the Late kid... But R.I.P angel of thrash !
Bad English - 07.05.2013 at 01:17
Los Angelos KIngs
btbamfan20 - 07.05.2013 at 02:38
Never would have suspected to read this when entering the internets... terriblly sad news, RIP u metal fucker
The Galactican - 07.05.2013 at 06:31
I've been a big fan since the '80s but until Jeff died I hadn't really tracked the fact he had either solely written or co-written pretty much all my favorite Slayer songs. He was a titan of metal.

My Slayer marathon has been going since the announcement. I've listened to everything at least once; there are pretty good albums and there are absolutely amazing ones. The catalog as a whole is legendary.
citron666 - 07.05.2013 at 11:32
This is very sad info.R.I.P. in the Hall of Fame of Metal music!
ANGEL REAPER - 07.05.2013 at 17:09
Damn!
m0t0rh3ad - 07.05.2013 at 19:38
Very sad news, RIP Jeff...
Dominus - 07.05.2013 at 19:56
Worst news of this year, so far...I hope see him someday at South Of Heaven

Pelcu - 08.05.2013 at 04:55
Evil has no boundaries... and show no mercy to anyone. I hope this is not the end of Slayer.
Daniell - 08.05.2013 at 23:06
Written by Angelic Storm on 03.05.2013 at 22:28

Don't get me wrong, because it's not personal. But it's none of our fucking business whether they choose to soldier on or not. It's their band, and we can only love their music. We have absolutely no say in what they're supposed to do. Nirvana disbanded after Kurt Cobain died, Led Zeppelin did the same after the passing of John Bonham, so did many other bands. But Metallica, The Doors, Alice in Chains (in the long run) didn't.

Whatever they do, we should respect, and never pass judgements about such things.
PROPHETOFDOOM94 - 08.05.2013 at 23:08
Very Sad Day For Metal Heads In The World My Condolences Go Out To His Family And Slayer And Friends,Sad To See The Disease Of ADDICTION Take Another Bright Star( I Don't Honestly Think It Was The Spider Bite) I Know ADDICTION Firsthand Myself :-[
slampig - 09.05.2013 at 11:16
So, it turns out that the Westboro Baptist Church is planning on picketing Hanneman's funeral. I can't tell if I should be enraged that they would do that to THE Jeff Hanneman, or if I should just laugh at how even in death he manages to be a pine-cone up the collective ass of people like the WBC. RIP, Jeff. You and your musical genius will be dearly missed.

Lanthros - 09.05.2013 at 17:49
I know Im posting this late but so what. All I can say is this hurts. It hurts my heart as Im sure it hurts all metalheads. R.I.P. our friend and brother. Give the devil hell and smoke all his weed.
Bonna - 09.05.2013 at 19:45
Been living under a rock the last couple of weeks... so this news just hit me like a train today.
RIP Jeff, thanks for the magic you had.
VforVendetta - 10.05.2013 at 16:11
When a God dies . . .
Maxx666 - 17.05.2013 at 21:24
Dude feels like a part of me had died... will miss Jeff very sorely.... R.I.P. legend...
Soldier of Satan - 29.05.2013 at 14:32
The day I heared this fucking news was one of my worst and most terrible days! Jeff was (and is) a real Legend and his death is a big cause for metal community! one of the greatest metal musicians and guitarists of all time! he can be replaced by no one! Dead Skin Mask, Spirit in Black, ... how these could be repeated?

Jeff! thanks for all that you done for us! see you in hell!
Jeff Hanneman and Slayer always rules!
Amatsu Mikaboshi - 06.06.2013 at 00:21
I wanted to give time to contemplate this news, allowing it to sink in and face it upfront without anything else that I was worrying over during at the time for it to be clashed. I never had time to open out all of my thoughts and feelings about him until now. The dead-lined painting which I was in the middle of at the time and dissertation proposal which I still had to prepare, start and finish along with an unprecedented amount of university work left me immobilized with stress. Now adding to that, hints of depression, guilt as well as now grief. I remember shouting random swear words in my studio in space next to others, breaking their train of thoughts.

When I was 12 I used to be a big Slipknot nerd and when I finally got to see them in 2004, Slayer were supporting them before. Other than once seeing their name appear on the rock station from GTA Vice City, they were unbeknownst to me. After I saw them, I had never realized the such capability of speed, regression and imagery was even publicly allowed let alone possible. I'll never forget the time I first saw them doing their "inverted cross lightshow" scene during South Of Heaven, sitting innocently with my dad, then again in 2006 standing with my mate and my dad, and finally in 2010 just days before my 18th birthday and my first mosh pit experience, with my mate. Soon after day one, the charge was ignited. I couldn't stop listening to Raining Blood on Vice City, Angel Of Death from Jackass or that episode from Viva La Bam. My granddad brought be Reign Of Blood for Christmas later that year.

Later with Metallica and Sepultura, it took a couple of years for me to steer into getting a curious interest to all the other metal bands that I have listened to ever since. Including Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Angel Witch, Serpent Venom and the like...

When Jeff died last month, all of what I've thought has immanently fired back to affect me here over my past. It was genuinely Slayer who got me into all of the metal and art that hasn't stopped influencing my curiosity and love ever since. I stopped listening to Slipknot ever since after that night.

So its fair to say that this guy has meant quite the bit for me. Thank you Jeff, I'll never forget the three memories those gigs did for me.
\m/
Rest In Beloved Peace. I owe you a pint.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

News Slayer - Remember Jeff Hanneman On His Birthday 7.5 31.01.2014 by Himedal
News Slayer - Jeff Hanneman Still Recovering From Spider Bite 7.5 01.05.2012 by BoxCar Willy
News Folkearth - Vocalist Ruslanas Passes Away 4 03.07.2013 by Janne
News The Devil's Blood - Selim Lemouchi Passes Away 4 05.03.2014 by Marcel Hubregtse
News Dimmu Borgir - Graphic Artist Alf Børjesson Passes Away 4 27.08.2012 by Moosh666