Since the beginning of this week, melodic death metallers Insomnium have been sharing photos from the studio and released a short note saying that "some Insomnium members are in a secret location recording something which might be released pretty soon." The band is being secretive about it, so it is unclear whether they are recording their new album or have some other release planned but at least we know that the band has been working on a new album, writing new lyrics and rehearsing new songs.

Insomnium's last album One For Sorrow was released in 2011. On his latest studio blog last month, Ville Friman confirmed that the band had about ten to twelve songs and demos ready.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Insomnium

Posted: 18.07.2013 by Bad English

Comments

mz - 18.07.2013 at 13:02
I used to think that this band plays relatively original version of melodeth before and obviously it is not true. I know that they have great potential and managed to write very good songs but it would be shame if they continue to deliver safe and generic albums. Lets hope that this time they would do sth different
Kuroboshi - 18.07.2013 at 13:22
There last one was solid. As long as these guys and Amon Amarth keep doing their thing, I don't have to check out other Gothenburg bands.
Fallen Ghost - 18.07.2013 at 13:28
Cool, looking forward to what these guys have to offer. The last album suffered from bad production though (imo) and I hope that this will not be a problem on this one. Wonder if they are able to top Above The Weeping World..
s_t_s - 18.07.2013 at 16:27
Only know the band 3 latest albums and I really like them so I don't mind if there's a new album sounding as good as the lastest ones
tea[m]ster - 18.07.2013 at 17:44
Sorry Insomnium fans, Fractal Gates has taken over the title for best melodic death metal band on the planet. I found Insomnium's last last album to be a little drab.
BloodJuNkie - 18.07.2013 at 19:59
Can't wait
qlacs - 18.07.2013 at 20:37
Their latest album has grown me a lot, this is definitely the news of the day.
Opethian - 18.07.2013 at 21:21
Written by mz on 18.07.2013 at 13:02

I agree with you 100%. I wasn't too impressed with their last album. All i can do i cross my fingers
Malaghost - 18.07.2013 at 22:10
Written by tea[m]ster on 18.07.2013 at 17:44

Sorry Fractal Gates' fan, but I found Fractal Gates' last albm to be a little drab.

Back to Insomnium - great news for me, hopefully they gonna deliver what their fans expect.
Dark Blood - 19.07.2013 at 02:22
Good news! Looking forward to it. Despite all the talk, I don't think they've disappointed us so far, and I enjoyed last album quite a lot.

Written by tea[m]ster on 18.07.2013 at 17:44

Be'lakor for me. The most unique band I've heard in many years.
Stevo69 - 19.07.2013 at 07:23
I think its great news. A great band. Cant wait to hear whatever they release.
Cynic Metalhead - 19.07.2013 at 09:58
Good news too. Bring it on!
!J.O.O.E.! - 19.07.2013 at 11:20
Written by Dark Blood on 19.07.2013 at 02:22

Be'lakor for me. The most unique band I've heard in many years.

You can't listen to much music then
Marcel Hubregtse - 19.07.2013 at 11:46
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 19.07.2013 at 11:20

Written by Dark Blood on 19.07.2013 at 02:22

Be'lakor for me. The most unique band I've heard in many years.

You can't listen to much music then

I was thinking the exact same thing
!J.O.O.E.! - 19.07.2013 at 12:21
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.07.2013 at 11:46

I was thinking the exact same thing

We probably shouldn't start all this up again though
Marcel Hubregtse - 19.07.2013 at 12:30
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 19.07.2013 at 12:21

We probably shouldn't start all this up again though

why not? Be honest within this genre of music there hasn't a unique band or release for at least more than a decade. It seems like all the bands try to outdo each other in middle of the road boring genericness. Even for generic music, which does plague more subgenres, melodeath is about the worst around. Just look at the latest two Dark Tranquillity releases. A band who qwe could rely on to release something fresh. But even DT has gone down the road of stale music.
Daniell - 19.07.2013 at 14:22
Let me wallow in self-indulgence for a minute and quote myself. This is from my review of Soilwork's The Panic Broadcast back from 2010:

Quote:
Just like their more famous compatriots, Dark Tranquillity and In Flames, Soilwork are beginning to show the shallowness of the whole melodeath subgenre - there simply aren't enough intriguing elements in melodeath that would yield good results when/if built upon by even the most talented representatives, Soilwork among them.

These words seem to be as valid are they were 3 years back. And will probably remain valid till the inevitable end of the most boring subgenre of metal.
Reaper_Redeamer - 19.07.2013 at 14:42
Written by Dark Blood on 19.07.2013 at 02:22

Written by tea[m]ster on 18.07.2013 at 17:44

Be'lakor for me. The most unique band I've heard in many years.

+10000

let them QQ
Vombatus - 19.07.2013 at 16:32
Using the word "unique" when refering to any modern melodeath band is a contradiction.
Dark Blood - 19.07.2013 at 21:22
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 19.07.2013 at 11:20

You can't listen to much music then

You can't take someone's opinion without jumping onto them do you? Well, what if I can't listen to much music? Maybe there's a reason for that, but I'd gladly take any suggestions from someone more knowledgeable.
!J.O.O.E.! - 19.07.2013 at 21:36
Written by Dark Blood on 19.07.2013 at 21:22

For melodeath? Even I couldn't recommend you much in the way of interesting or unique stuff there Could always try the likes of early Arsis, Edge of Sanity (Crimson and Crimson II in particular), Arghoslent (racist band though), Barren Earth, Kalisia (Skies demo), Intestine Baalism, Garden of Shadows, Unanimated, early Disarmonia Mundi (Nebularium album), Atrophia Red Sun, Eucharist, Hearse. Of course few or none of these are your typical gothenburg melodeath and are all quite different having varying strains and forms of melodic death metal in their music. All are great, or once great bands however.

If you try only one of these albums it should be this one.

AngelofDeth - 20.07.2013 at 19:08
Written by Opethian on 18.07.2013 at 21:21

Written by mz on 18.07.2013 at 13:02

I 3rd this. I love their first few albums because of the emotion that pours through them but the most recent was bland and emotionless.
Marcel Hubregtse - 20.07.2013 at 19:15

Written by mz on 18.07.2013 at 13:02

you can´t third something You just second it

i get what he meant Marcel
Marcel Hubregtse - 21.07.2013 at 20:53
Written by Opethian on 21.07.2013 at 20:48

i get what he meant Marcel

You might get what I mean, but I wonder if AngelOfDeth whom I quoted also gets it
Opethian - 21.07.2013 at 20:57
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 19.07.2013 at 21:36

Written by Dark Blood on 19.07.2013 at 21:22

If you try only one of these albums it should be this one.

Dude , that was downright fucking amazing! ... Oh! and by the way that took a shit on the last 2 Insomnium albums hahahaha!
!J.O.O.E.! - 21.07.2013 at 21:15
Written by Opethian on 21.07.2013 at 20:57

Had you never heard Crimson before then? As an Opeth fan I could have guessed you'd like it. Not least because Akerfeldt actually does some vocals on it.
tea[m]ster - 22.07.2013 at 05:09
Written by Dark Blood on 19.07.2013 at 02:22

Be'lakor for me. The most unique band I've heard in many years.

Yes, I like them. However, every one of their albums sound the same! I hope next time they put out something with a bit more variance.
Opethian - 22.07.2013 at 08:17
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 21.07.2013 at 21:15

Written by Opethian on 21.07.2013 at 20:57

I heard of them, but never took the time. Thanks for posting that video oh and btw, who the hell is Opeth? ..... lol
Nightfall - 25.07.2013 at 02:05
Written by Reaper_Redeamer on 19.07.2013 at 14:42

Written by Dark Blood on 19.07.2013 at 02:22

Written by tea[m]ster on 18.07.2013 at 17:44

Be'lakor for me. The most unique band I've heard in many years.

+10000

let them QQ

I love Be'lakor, but let's face it: They are far from being original.
Reaper_Redeamer - 25.07.2013 at 15:04
Written by Nightfall on 25.07.2013 at 02:05

Written by Reaper_Redeamer on 19.07.2013 at 14:42

Written by Dark Blood on 19.07.2013 at 02:22

Written by tea[m]ster on 18.07.2013 at 17:44

Be'lakor for me. The most unique band I've heard in many years.

+10000

let them QQ

I love Be'lakor, but let's face it: They are far from being original.

They are not original considering the genre they play. Now melodeath is such a hated genre. But if you take a deep look inside their songs, watch the construction , the way they use the harmonic scales, the whole concept of each album, you will discover that they use methods that have not be used before. And also let me agree with you all, that ok they are not original. LEARN TO ADMIT that there is no melodeath band with better composition quality than Be'lakor. This is what Troy wrote at his review.

but you will still qq i am sure
Cynic Metalhead - 21.12.2013 at 19:13
Written by tea[m]ster on 18.07.2013 at 17:44

I think its pretty much what Malaghost said.

FG's last album was good but wasn't over the top. Those guys have an enormous talent and did show in debut but last album was satisfactory. While, Insomnium's last album was totally a blast. You could stripped me off comparing that previous records were far more better, totally fine but it wasn't even that "drab" that it get fucking wiped off out of fans' mind.

So, saying its the best melodic band on the planet was little bit pushy. I respect of what you said but you should know that half of them wasn't even in favour what new FG did and was even satisfied.
Troy Killjoy - 21.12.2013 at 19:44
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 21.12.2013 at 19:13
So, saying its the best melodic band on the planet was little bit pushy.

Ya, I think it's a stretch especially considering they just released their second album (which isn't even that good to be honest). Bands like Insomnium and Dark Tranquillity are highly regarded within the genre because of the quality and quantity of their releases. Fractal Gates have a long way to go if they want to dethrone the heavyweights.
tea[m]ster - 22.12.2013 at 05:47
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.12.2013 at 19:44

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 21.12.2013 at 19:13
So, saying its the best melodic band on the planet was little bit pushy.

I was saying this tongue-in-cheek, having a little fun. I knew Insomnium fans would have their backs. I like Insomnium but they have been around for a while and their stuff is becoming monotonous, I need some fresh blood. Heck, even the mighty Be'Lakor are getting a bit stale. So right now, Fractal Gates satisfy my melodic death metal needs.
Cynic Metalhead - 22.12.2013 at 08:58
Quote:
[quote author=405732013-12-22 05:47:54]
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.12.2013 at 19:44

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 21.12.2013 at 19:13
So, saying its the best melodic band on the planet was little bit pushy.

If band is staying around for a while, you'll leave the band and started listening to underground contemporary? Is this the rule?
Hell I even against Insomnium going monotonous(tongue-in-cheek moment?).

Its totally fine to yearn for fresh blood but you can't simply knock off the great talent tagging they're monotonous. Not every band becoming worse like Megadave, Metallica or Opeth. Well, about FG? they're new to the scene. It could be your personal favorite but they need to make their way up. Its only their 2nd full-length album to be out.
deadone - 22.12.2013 at 09:47
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 19.07.2013 at 11:20

Written by Dark Blood on 19.07.2013 at 02:22

Be'lakor for me. The most unique band I've heard in many years.

You can't listen to much music then

Have to say I agree. Be'Lakor are disappointingly generic and unfortunately somewhat monotonous.

The ingredients are there but they lack spark. The same applies to Insomnium and Omnium Gatherum

The last good Melodic DM album was probably Arsis' A Celebration of Guilt. That was a short breath of fresh air in a horrifically stagnant genre. And that was how many years ago?

News Insomnium - Update From The Studio 7.5 30.12.2013 by Reaper_Redeamer
News Deeds Of Flesh - Entering The Studio In November 4 22.10.2007 by Bad English
News Ensiferum - Enter The Studio In September 4 31.08.2014 by Doc Godin