With their new album expected this year, guitarist/vocalist Mikael Åkerfeldt of Swedish progressive band Opeth spoke to Decibel magazine about the progress of the songwriting sessions for the band's follow-up to 2011's Heritage. Åkerfeldt revealed that he plans to enhance at least a few of the new Opeth tracks with strings.

"I have about six songs done and another two or three just started," he said, "plus a million ideas that I haven't processed yet. Some songs are simple and stripped-down, while others are epic in the true sense of the word. Business as usual, hopefully with unusual music."

He adds: "Some of these things could easily be done with synthetic sounds or effects, but recording the Storm Corrosion LP with Steven Wilson made me realize what a massive difference it can mean to incorporate the real shit. I'm semi-pretentious in my songwriting and sometimes I go all in. I think it's time for 'all in' with strings and the full monty. Hopefully it won't be a mess."

About a new song described as a 'Goblin ripoff': "It's a jam I came up with during the Mastodon/Ghost B.C. tour, that we ended up soundchecking. After a few days, you'd hear people in the corridors humming it. It's a fucking hit! But basically it's a not-so-subtle headbanging-type nod in Goblin's direction. And to avoid confusion, the song is even called 'Goblin'. My rip-off deteriorates mid-song and becomes fusion-esque darkened prog rock like Mahavishnu or ELP (yikes!). But it swings! It really does."

Speaking to the Swedish newspaper Expressen last year, and asked if the forthcoming effort would be heavier or softer than Heritage, Mikael said: "Maybe a little bit heavier. Not death metal heavy, but hard rock/heavy metal heavy. There's also lots of progressive elements and acoustic guitars, but also more sinister-sounding riffs."

Source: ultimate-guitar.com
Band profile: Opeth

Posted: 06.01.2014 by deadone

Comments

Jaeryd17‍ - 06.01.2014 at 13:26
I'm definitely excited. I liked Heritage, but it's definitely one of their low points. Here's hoping that the new album is better.
BloodJuNkie - 06.01.2014 at 13:39
I didn't like Heritage, but this release "might" be better, hopefully!
Marikanator - 06.01.2014 at 14:18
I liked Heritage even though I really missed the death metal influence. I'm still curious and excited about this release though
Hex_Omega - 06.01.2014 at 14:50
I hope that this album will be a 'missing link' between Watershed and Heritage.
Unhealer - 06.01.2014 at 14:56
It will be decent at least
bleak - 06.01.2014 at 15:21
Written by Hex_Omega on 06.01.2014 at 14:50

I hope that this album will be a 'missing link' between Watershed and Heritage.

I was thinking the same thing.
Hail Mike!:metal:
UnknownCheese - 06.01.2014 at 16:25
Only semi-pretentious in your songwriting, huh?
Lethrokai - 06.01.2014 at 16:27
Written by Hex_Omega on 06.01.2014 at 14:50

I hope that this album will be a 'missing link' between Watershed and Heritage.

This. Heritage had the potential to be something brilliant, had it just had a little more energy.

Am I the only one who feels like there will be quite a similar feel between this release and Cynic's upcoming record?
ArcesseEum - 06.01.2014 at 17:35
I liked Heritage (after numerous listens), but I was hoping they would return to the heavier basics... oh well. For me, Heritage was redeemed when I heard it live and realized it's just way heavier in person than on record. With any luck this new record will still convey that 'live' feeling of heaviness, with or without death-metal aesthetics. If the album ends up sub-par, I'd wait for the next live album down the road to really get the spirit of the proggy stuff.

The strings sound cool, Hex Omega is a nice example of what they have done with strings.
Ocean Sage - 06.01.2014 at 17:57
At the Opeth show I saw, they played Heritage incredibly heavy. I think now that the production of the album was the problem really.
euronymous - 06.01.2014 at 18:03
HERITAGE WAS AWESOME ALBUM !
Cynic Metalhead - 06.01.2014 at 18:28
Well, comparing with Heritage here is getting bit pointless.

Let's hope(for Opeth fans especially) that they deliver GOOD album. Other than that, i dont care much.
Erik M. - 06.01.2014 at 19:20
Written by Hex_Omega on 06.01.2014 at 14:50

I hope that this album will be a 'missing link' between Watershed and Heritage.

Too bad both are far from brilliant. Ghost Reveries was their last masterpiece in my opinion and sadly I don't think their 2014 release will be anything near a masterpiece, having read what Mikael said about the album. It simply doesn't appeal to me a whole lot. I do think it will be an improvement upon Heritage though, which is at least something.
Schnabeltier 24 - 06.01.2014 at 20:28
Now Mikael, it's time to record another masterpiece, it's been nearly 10 years since the last one, way too long !
God Alone - 06.01.2014 at 22:20
I'm not that intrigued, honestly...
Opethian - 06.01.2014 at 22:27
Written by Ocean Sage on 06.01.2014 at 17:57

I was about to type that out as well! If its on the same path as Heritage, those live moments would transcend into a really Heavy Prog album. Fingers crossed for this new record
Ocean Sage - 06.01.2014 at 22:56
Written by Opethian on 06.01.2014 at 22:27

Written by Ocean Sage on 06.01.2014 at 17:57

Yeah totally. They need a live sound. They made EVERY song off Heritage sound just as heavy as the old songs. It was awesome. This is no reason other than their own doing that is would turn out lacking. "The Lines In My Hand" sounded unbelievable, the highlight for me. Super heavy Mastodon-like prog stuff.
Mattybu - 07.01.2014 at 05:11
Based on these statements it is very hard to get excited or have any sort of high expectations for this album. Which I suppose isn't always a bad thing, but still.
3rdWorld - 07.01.2014 at 05:37
Meh...
theembryo - 07.01.2014 at 06:04
"basically it's a not-so-subtle headbanging-type nod in Goblin's direction"

That has me looking quite forward to the release, thanks to deadone for this news post
Dentura - 07.01.2014 at 06:13
Looking forward to what these guys have in store.
Super_Greg - 07.01.2014 at 07:21
I think shit's gonna get cray with this one guys.
NocturnalStalker - 07.01.2014 at 08:15
Never in my life have I ever been disappointed with Opeth record and I have no doubts that this new one won't be the first. Sounds pretty intriguing!
K†ulu - 07.01.2014 at 10:44
Wow, he knows how to get people excited and make them pre-order Opeth's new album...
DoomDriver - 07.01.2014 at 13:30
Guys please forget about the Heritage sound and bring back your prog death!
TheLostChord - 07.01.2014 at 19:05
Definitely excited. I think the important thing for him and every other musician is to do what they feel. That's one thing I like about Opeth. The albums are usually unexpected, original and have a sincerity to them because they are written from feeling, not with the goal of trying to sound a certain way. This album should be good as long as Mike and the band are doing what they want. It gets old when a band tries to do the same sound over and over. Granted, I liked their Death Metal stuff the best, but it's all quite good.
The Galactican - 07.01.2014 at 23:03
Heritage was OK but was missing something that I crave in Opeth records, and that's hooks. As long as the new record has great melodies and hooks I could really care less how heavy it is.
redbackrecordz - 08.01.2014 at 00:00
I cant wait for a new album from the masters! I cant fault or complain about a single Opeth album, every single album is so different, thats why they are so good, not the same shit, different day like so many people seem to want. They show so much creativity and diversity and thats what makes me want to keep listening to Opeth. Every single Opeth album has a different feel and vibe depending on the mood your in, depends on which album i like to hear. Cant wait for another one to add to the collection. I cant understand why people always want a new album to be like the last one or one before that, change is good! If you dont like it, dont buy it and complain about it!
Jaeryd17‍ - 08.01.2014 at 11:53
Written by TheLostChord on 07.01.2014 at 19:05

Well said. This is pretty much exactly the way I feel about things.
Sr Tumnus - 08.01.2014 at 23:52
"sinister-sounding riff"!!!
Necdilzor - 09.01.2014 at 23:45
Written by Jaeryd17‍ on 08.01.2014 at 11:53

Written by TheLostChord on 07.01.2014 at 19:05

Well said. This is pretty much exactly the way I feel about things.

Same here!
advent - 10.01.2014 at 00:44
Well, at least the 1st 5 albums were all masterpieces, We can't hope for them to be the same all along , let them try what they want , even if we don't like , what they had recorded before are very sufficient for me

News Opeth - Mikael Åkerfeldt Writing New Material 9 13.08.2012 by LeChron James
News Mikael Åkerfeldt - Honored By SKAP Organization 7.5 17.12.2013 by Dentura
News Opeth - Recording New Album 7.5 01.11.2007 by Rimfrost
News Opeth - New Album Title Revealed 7.5 25.05.2011 by
News Mikael Akerfeldt - Begins To Work On New Opeth Album And Side-Project 7 04.01.2007 by Syk