After announcing the first details of the upcoming album, the guys in Sonata Arctica are now sharing with fans the tracklist and first trailer of Pariah's Child, that will be released on March 28th, 2014 via Nuclear Blast Records. Normally, the music follows next.

Tracklist:

01. The Wolves Die Young
02. Running Lights
03. Take One Breath
04. Cloud Factory
05. Blood
06. What Did You Do In The War, Dad?
07. Half A Marathon Man
08. X Marks The Spot
09. Love
10. Larger Than Life

Enjoy the first trailer, with drummer Tommy Portimo:

Vocalist Tony Kakko had this to say: "There are some instant Sonata-Greatest-Hits songs there, which feels good. I think we reached the result we had in mind, each of us in our own field. We went on to create the next Sonata Arctica power metalesque album and I think we achieved it adequately. I have to say that I had drifted pretty far away from those 'days of thunder', that speedy happy go lucky attitude. I was happy to notice this style can still make me smile. It's good. Music has to do that to me. It also shows the other older songs in a totally new light for me. I can now understand and appreciate why the fans enjoy what we did in the early days."

Pariah's Child World Tour dates with Delain and Xandria:

10/15/14 - Orpheum - Tampa, FL

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Sonata Arctica

Posted: 15.01.2014 by R Lewis

Comments

WorpeX - 15.01.2014 at 18:01
Delain and Xandria... Bleh. Not two bands I want to really go see with Sonata Arctica... Glad I saw them with Powerglove!

Tracklist doesn't sounds too promising but song names mean nothing.
PhantomLord21 - 15.01.2014 at 18:06
Anyone else think track 6 sounds like something that should be on a Sabaton album?

Anyway, don't think the trailer really showed enough of the music to form a solid opinion on the album yet. What I've heard indicates this is going to be a mixture of Reckoning Night and The Days Of Greys (with some influence from their earlier stuff: the double bass drumming indicates some influence from Ecliptica and Silence), so I'll keep my ears open for the single and see how it turns out. Tony's comment regarding that he now understands and appreciates why fans love Sonata's early stuff does get me hopeful for a pleasant surprise or two here and maybe more power metal influence on their albums from this point onwards!
Azarath - 15.01.2014 at 19:06
"...and I think we achieved it adequately."

Well, now I'm excited about this album.
JohnDoe - 15.01.2014 at 19:32
"the wolves die young"?! that explains the depressed wolf on the cover
PhantomLord21 - 15.01.2014 at 19:33
Written by Azarath on 15.01.2014 at 19:06

"...and I think we achieved it adequately."

Well, now I'm excited about this album.

Now you point that out...yeah, that's not really the best words to promote a new album. Gives the feeling he's not completely confident in it.
Ruchesko - 15.01.2014 at 19:42
Written by WorpeX on 15.01.2014 at 18:01

Tracklist doesn't sounds too promising but song names mean nothing.

I was gonna say, dude - hardly the best criteria to pre-judge an album by, unless of course its an Edguy album ("Lavatory Love Machine" anyone).

Then again, speaking as a bona fide Tony Kakko fanboy, I'm probably not qualified to make a balanced prediction.
Azarath - 15.01.2014 at 19:44
Written by PhantomLord21 on 15.01.2014 at 19:33

Of course, it could just be Tony being Tony.
WorpeX - 15.01.2014 at 20:22
Written by Ruchesko on 15.01.2014 at 19:42

Written by WorpeX on 15.01.2014 at 18:01

Tracklist doesn't sounds too promising but song names mean nothing.

Good song names can pump me up and make me really excited to hear a new album! None of the names on this SA album do that for me. Most of the titles are generic or weird. However, that doesn't mean the songs wont be good! Lavatory Love Machine is a good example of a song with a strange name but its one of my favorite Edguy tunes because its just so ridiculous. There are also plenty of bad songs with great song names out there too...
PhantomLord21 - 15.01.2014 at 20:37
Written by Azarath on 15.01.2014 at 19:44

Written by PhantomLord21 on 15.01.2014 at 19:33

Of course, it could just be Tony being Tony.

Yeah, I was actually wondering whether he might be deliberately underselling it so that we are more surprised if it turns out to be their best album since Reckoning Night.

A lesson some bands should learn...looking at you, Manowar!
The Shape 1973 - 15.01.2014 at 22:17
With bands like Sonata and Edguy saying they are going back to their old style, this will either be a good year for power metal or really frustrating.
FeskarN - 15.01.2014 at 23:18
Written by The Shape 1973 on 15.01.2014 at 22:17

Yeah, indeed. I surely hope it will be good suprise to some old sound for both of the bands.
Joodicator - 16.01.2014 at 00:18
Written by PhantomLord21 on 15.01.2014 at 20:37

Or they deliberately made a boring power metal album to put people off the idea of Sonata going back to their roots and garner more support for the Unia/Grays/Stones direction that Tony had been pushing so much.

Tony, your evil plan has been revealed.
PhantomLord21 - 16.01.2014 at 00:57
Written by Joodicator on 16.01.2014 at 00:18

Written by PhantomLord21 on 15.01.2014 at 20:37

Tony, your evil plan has been revealed.

I highly doubt that is what he's done for quite a few reasons (one of which is his own words in this indicate that he has made an honest effort to get some more power metal influence in the music for this album and understands why fans love those albums now), but I do think that's quite a clever line of thought.

Now I'm more curious about the single, if only to see which is more likely to be accurate!
Luneth - 17.01.2014 at 00:50
I like the sound of the drums in that video, for some reason it reminded me of the boy who wanted to be a real puppet which makes no sense as its a relatively 'slow' song. Ever the Sonata optimist I reckon this'll be just fine.
The Evergreen - 17.01.2014 at 01:28
Well, so far, so good. Of course stones had a good first track, too...
I'll put up with Delain to see this tour... I'm actually pretty happy about Xandria. Not Stratovarius or Kamelot happy, but pretty happy still.
LordHypnos - 18.01.2014 at 20:35
06. What Did You Do In The War, Dad?

A reference to Replica?
Vombatus - 19.01.2014 at 18:35
Written by LordHypnos on 18.01.2014 at 20:35

06. What Did You Do In The War, Dad?

A reference to Replica?

Though the same thing. And we know that a few SA songs have a second part.

As long as it's not pop crap like the lastest, I'm fine. Something like Unia would be ideal, if not making a full return to old power sound.
LordHypnos - 20.01.2014 at 01:52
Written by Vombatus on 19.01.2014 at 18:35

Written by LordHypnos on 18.01.2014 at 20:35

06. What Did You Do In The War, Dad?

A reference to Replica?

Though the same thing. And we know that a few SA songs have a second part.

I hope the new album would at least sound like Winterheart's Guild.
Stunning Cactus - 22.01.2014 at 09:48
If they could just make a sequel to the entire Silence album, I would be wholly content *ahem* thoroughly aroused by the notion.

News ReVamp - Reveal Album Tracklist, Guests And New Trailer 10 21.06.2013 by The Shape 1973
News Soundgarden - Reveal New Album Artwork And Tracklist, Trailer Online 10 17.09.2012 by BoxCar Willy
News Korpiklaani - Reveal New Album Tracklist And Cover 8.5 24.05.2012 by Sentenced Odiin
News Månegarm - Reveal New Album Title, Artwork And Tracklist 8.5 04.04.2013 by Carl Berg
News Culted - Reveal New Album Details And Trailer 8.5 27.11.2013 by 3rdWorld