French atmospheric/ambient black metallers The Great Old Ones are proud to announce that their second album, entitled Tekeli-Li, will be released on April 16th, 2014 by Les Acteurs de l'Ombre Productions. It was recorded and mixed by Cyril Gachet (Year Of No Light), mastered by Alan Douches (Tombs, Cannibal Corpse, The Dillinger Escape Plan), Tekeli-Li is entirely based on H.P. Lovecraft's (American writer) book 'At The Mountains Of Madness'.

The album artwork was "painted" by Jeff Grimal.

Album tracklist:

01. Je ne suis pas fou (1:19)
02. Antarctica (9:40)
03. The Elder Things (9:14)
04. Awakening (7:54)
05. The Ascend (7:28)
06. Behind The Mountains (17:50)

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: The Great Old Ones

Posted: 12.02.2014 by Abattoir

Comments

Unhealer - 12.02.2014 at 00:10
Lovely artwork, nice book behind the concept, awesome band... yeah, this should be good
!J.O.O.E.! - 12.02.2014 at 00:20
I imagine if I saw that artwork in a gallery I'd probably say "I could have done that" and moved onto the next one.

[edit]

Actually it's quite nice really. A pleasant change from the usual.
TheCybershifter - 12.02.2014 at 00:24
This may not be very important to all, but these song titles are extremely unoriginal. It could easily be a cover album if one would judge just by looking at the song names.
Troy Killjoy - 12.02.2014 at 00:39
Hopefully that 18-minute closer turns out to be as good as expected.
Marcel Hubregtse - 12.02.2014 at 01:14
Written by TheCybershifter on 12.02.2014 at 00:24

welcome to the world of metal where 99% of all bands have extremely unoriginal song titles. Jeez the fuss people make of song titles.
Machiavelli - 12.02.2014 at 01:17
HP Lovecraft has inspired countless musicians whose minds dwell in the void... like many metal musicians.
Boxcar Willy - 12.02.2014 at 04:11
Lovecraft is turning into the new blackgzae I.e everyone is hoping on it.

Not that it matters though, as it's a musical theme and not a style. What was I talking about?

Cool artwork.
Apothecary - 12.02.2014 at 04:35
Written by Boxcar Willy on 12.02.2014 at 04:11

Lovecraft is turning into the new blackgzae I.e everyone is hoping on it.

Please do not use The Prophet's name and blackgaze together in the same sentence
Boxcar Willy - 12.02.2014 at 04:44
Written by Apothecary on 12.02.2014 at 04:35

As if. Lovecraft's name is more watered down now than blackgaze will ever be.

As I said though, one's a theme or influence and ones a genre, that's the only reason why Lovecraft's is still tolerated. Not saying he's a bad author by any means, but it really is starting to get old.
BitterCOld - 12.02.2014 at 04:55
Love the artwork, combo of the dichotomy of dark & light as well as the brushstrokes.

song titles?

meh. not sure the fuss. either it's overdone or artists go 57 levels of pretentious (and through 9 thesaurii) trying to come up with "unique" titles.

if the music matches cover art, I'll be a happy camper.
Apothecary - 12.02.2014 at 05:20
Written by Boxcar Willy on 12.02.2014 at 04:44

Lovecraftian themed metal can be pretty hit or miss, just like Tolkien themed metal. Usually most bands that do it suck, and then there are a few gems, like this band and I would also mention Tyranny
TheCybershifter - 12.02.2014 at 16:51
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.02.2014 at 01:14

Written by TheCybershifter on 12.02.2014 at 00:24

Well I wouldn't say that 99% of metal bands have unoriginal song titles. But obviously I place bigger importance on this subject than others. Just an observation, no fuss about it. It is still possible that the album will sound great, but to me the song title is a certain preface before the actual song begins. If band has no ideas I rather see that they put down just numbers (like Blut Aus Nord for example) instead of severely unispired song titles. They certainly aren't the most important thing on the album, but they still have some importance.
!J.O.O.E.! - 12.02.2014 at 21:36
Written by TheCybershifter on 12.02.2014 at 16:51

Yeah, your fears are pretty much allayed: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/16635-antarctica/
TheCybershifter - 12.02.2014 at 22:06
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 12.02.2014 at 21:36

Written by TheCybershifter on 12.02.2014 at 16:51

That's great, thanks for the link.

News The Great Old Ones - Full New Album Streaming Online 12 02.04.2014 by psykometal
News The Great Old Ones - Streaming Two New Songs 10.5 27.03.2014 by Carl Berg
News The Murder Of My Sweet - Reveal New Album Details 8.5 13.04.2012 by Susan
News The Foreshadowing - Reveal New Album Details 8.5 15.03.2012 by Abattoir
News Between The Buried And Me - Reveal New Album Details 8.5 16.07.2012 by J. N.