In case you still haven't heard Sonata Arctica's new single "The Wolves Die Young", you can do that today. The band just revealed the first video off their new album Pariah's Child. The video shoot for "The Wolves Die Young" took place in January 2014 at Sibelius House in Lahti, Finland. The clip was produced by Patrick Ullaeus of the Revolver Film Company. Enjoy the Finns in action right here. Do you like the new song?

Commented frontman Tony Kakko: "'The Wolves Die Young' was pretty much born to be a single. And it is. It also paved the road for the rest of the album. Set a mood in a way. It just felt real good to start with. 2014 is a year of a wolf."

More details about Pariah's Child can be found here and here. Nuclear Blast Records releases the album on March 28th.

Source: nuclearblast.de
Band profile: Sonata Arctica

Posted: 13.02.2014 by BloodTears

Comments

Gopherhawk - 13.02.2014 at 18:00
Video was kind of weird.
The song didn't suck.
Guitar was way too low in the mix.
A marked improvement on the horizon?
*Knocking on wood
BynersA7X - 13.02.2014 at 18:23
"The Queen" is a "great" "actress".
Michaelis - 13.02.2014 at 18:31
My god... what the hell was that?
R Lewis - 13.02.2014 at 18:46
Patric.
Ulleaus.

May every God on earth damn you.
Eternity'sChild - 13.02.2014 at 19:19
I think the song is not too bad. But the video ... just watched a short piece of the music video, and I think I don't want to see the whole thing.
Carl Berg - 13.02.2014 at 20:45
Wow, that did not impress me. Instead, the video was horrible.
Dark Cornatus - 13.02.2014 at 22:28
Holy shit, if if weren't for the occasional drum blast i would have forgot this is metal entirely. Guitar is almost non existent. I heard it in the solo and that's it really haha.

Probably the worst SA song i've ever heard.
CWA - 13.02.2014 at 22:37
I love the song, hate the video. High hopes for the album.
JohnDoe - 13.02.2014 at 23:01
LOL
I don't know what to say, and there's no emoticon that could express how I felt watching this.
Ruchesko - 13.02.2014 at 23:27
Video's content = about as random as the song's lyrics.
Mork Beskytter - 13.02.2014 at 23:37
This is just terrible.
aevilms - 14.02.2014 at 00:00
Really bad... Lyrics are absolutely non-sense, music is not original, just the most standard power metal performance that you can imagine.
It's pity that band with good potential just stopped developing anymore.
EmeraldSword - 14.02.2014 at 00:27
Written by aevilms on 14.02.2014 at 00:00

It's pity that band with good potential just stopped developing anymore.

Aye. I was thinking the same thing. Stratovarius comes to mind when I think of a band that kept developing over the years and is always a great experience to hear a new album. As far as SA's new video, I'm a little confused as well. I didn't need see the point of showing nudity of the woman repeatedly who was covering herself in shame. I got the imagery well enough. "Wolves Die Young" I'm guessing is referring to the woman's offspring maybe born out of wedlock? Hence; shame.

Musically, the riffs didn't show too much variety and IMO the keyboard notes were drawn out a bit. Oh well. Hopefully the completed album will "perk" up a bit. Returning back to their "wolves" roots is good, but SA needs to speed up the tempo a bit.
Teravolt_Danny - 14.02.2014 at 00:43
I enjoy the new song. The video isn't great, but who gives a damn about videos anyway?
Vombatus - 14.02.2014 at 00:49
I think the lyrics make sense (and the video for that matter), pretty clear reference to the Emperor's New Clothes tale.

The song however is bad. Their is a very slight chance I might have appreciated it years back, but now the band completely lost it for me.
Carl Berg - 14.02.2014 at 01:02
Written by aevilms on 14.02.2014 at 00:00

It's pity that band with good potential just stopped developing anymore.

Zadion - 14.02.2014 at 01:37
MS is full of cynics.

The song is great. The video isn't, but it isn't bad either. I don't really understand the point in it, though.

But c'mon, this is hard proof they've turned away from that SGHN shit.
LordHypnos - 14.02.2014 at 02:20
That video... wtf?

Although I kinda liked the new song, I say it could've been better.
Teravolt_Danny - 14.02.2014 at 02:45
Written by Zadion on 14.02.2014 at 01:37

MS is full of cynics.

But c'mon, this is hard proof they've turned away from that SGHN shit.

MS becomes more tolerable whenever you realize that the average opinion here varies tremendously from the average opinion of most metal fans. Most of the stuff that I see people trashing on here I see the majority of people raving about elsewhere, and vice versa. It's a special breed of metal fans here, but I continue to use the site anyway since, truth be told, it's the best metal news website I've ever discovered.
deadone - 14.02.2014 at 03:43
First thing I'd do is shoot the keyboardist and the vocalist, who are both irritating in equal measure.

Second thing I'd do is disband the band because what is left isn't much. The guitarists are absolutely nothing. That leaves a drummer that can be replaced with a generic drum machine and a bass player.

What's it with terrible sugar coated pop music masquerading as metal these days?
Teravolt_Danny - 14.02.2014 at 04:03
Written by deadone on 14.02.2014 at 03:43

Perfect example of what I was just talking about in my previous post. Thank you, thank you. Point proven.
deadone - 14.02.2014 at 04:11
On most Metal websites they would slag out that Sonata Artica song as bad pop.

And it's bad for pop.

And it's not power metal. Tad Morose and Gamma Ray, now that's power metal!

As for any accusations of "close mindedness" my last 4 albums I listened to were 2 rock (Stone Temple Pilots and Turbonegro, 1 alternative (Faith No More) and 1 folk-country (The White Buffalo)....
The Evergreen - 14.02.2014 at 04:12
I thought it was great, though I could stand more guitar. I wonder how the CD will sound. Probably the same. I'll live.
Darth Revan - 14.02.2014 at 05:42
I'm not really sure how to react to this... I think the best way to put it is, if Ecliptica, Silence and Winterheart's Guild were wooden furniture made with the loving care and attention of a carpenter... This album seems like an IKEA computer desk.
Teravolt_Danny - 14.02.2014 at 05:50
Written by The Evergreen on 14.02.2014 at 04:12

Reviewers have said the song is not representative of the album. That's typically the case with singles, it seems.
The Evergreen - 14.02.2014 at 05:57
Yeah, true. SGHN had a great opening track, and we know how that went.
HumanSpirit - 14.02.2014 at 07:34
They said the new album was gonna be like old school SA songs.

I believed them. They lied to me.

Random video, kinda cool/kinda weak song, will listen to the whole thing though.
The Shape 1973 - 14.02.2014 at 09:55
Their singles normally are a little different to the rest of the album. Just look at Paid In Full from Unia. Brilliant single, catastrophically bad album. So lets hope for dull single, amazing album.
kains - 14.02.2014 at 10:15
I have no opinion for this single after rehearing it a few times. I'd rather be patient and wait for the outcome of the entire album instead.
Teravolt_Danny - 14.02.2014 at 10:30
Written by HumanSpirit on 14.02.2014 at 07:34

They said the new album was gonna be like old school SA songs.

I believed them. They lied to me.

So one song that isn't 100% double bass = "ZOMG THEY LIED TO MEEEEEHHHH"

Also, while the song is not completely reminiscent of old Sonata Arctica (something that will never happen, btw), it certainly sounds similar. This song could have easily been on Winterheart's Guild or Reckoning Night, not sure how you think it is so drastically different in style.
NocturnalStalker - 14.02.2014 at 16:38
The first thing I thought after reading the song title was "winter is coming".
As for the song itself, it's not that bad. Kind of a mellow power metal (or flower metal, if you will).
Malaghost - 14.02.2014 at 17:11
Lovely Christmas carol. Sadly.
Zadion - 14.02.2014 at 21:13
Written by Teravolt_Danny on 14.02.2014 at 04:03

Written by deadone on 14.02.2014 at 03:43

It's a rare sight to see somebody refer to Tony as "irritating." Personally, he's easily among my favorite vocalists.

Anyway, this single is exactly what I wanted SGHN to be. It's a mix of the symphonic textures of TDoG, along with the power metal chug and progressive undertones of Reckoning Night. Being that those are my two favorite SA albums, I'll be more than pleased if all of Pariah's Child turns out sounding like that.
Zadion - 14.02.2014 at 21:15
Written by The Shape 1973 on 14.02.2014 at 09:55

Man, Unia is the ultimate grower. It took about 15 listens of hating it before I finally loved it.

Paid in Full is definitely the highlight of the album, though.
N0RBERT - 14.02.2014 at 21:57
Average song,average video!
How could release a AAA band such an amateur,childish "home video" ?
The song is a boring set of cliches. Like an untalented Sonata Arctica epigone. It sounds ALMOST like SA but without talent,heart and inspiration. That's what i feel since album UNIA. I think i'v lost one of my favourite bands forever :-(
Azarath - 15.02.2014 at 00:35
Part of being a power / flower metal fan is realizing that plenty of people will feel the need to tell you they have much better taste than you do.

Another one of life's mysteries is how Patrick Ullaeus keeps getting so much work.
deadone - 15.02.2014 at 01:13
Written by Azarath on 15.02.2014 at 00:35

Power Metal is fine if you listen to Power Metal - aka good Helloween, Iced Earth, Gamma Ray, Tad Morose, Blind Guardian, Demons and Wizards and not gutless shit masquerading as Metal.

Flower Metal is Pop music in disguise as Metal.
mikeprado30 - 15.02.2014 at 05:00
Written by deadone on 15.02.2014 at 01:13

Flower Metal is Pop music in disguise as Metal.

Sad that the Pop genre is still underrated yet when there is many good music in this genre

But it comes in a matter of tastes. In my case I enjoy equally the most furious PM (Blind Guardian, Persuader, DivineFire, Gamma Ray, Rage, etc.), the most melodic AKA "Flower" Metal (Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica, Rhapsody, Serenity, early Nightwish, Dark Moor, etc.), Death Metal bands, Black Metal bands, Prog. Metal bands, Hard Rock, Prog. Rock, 80's Pop, Reggae Roots, Electro music, Celtic music, Classical music, etc.

I will say it again: DAMN THE PREJUDICES!!!
The Shape 1973 - 15.02.2014 at 10:30
Written by Azarath on 15.02.2014 at 00:35

I have been wondering the same thing. He must be very cheap.
Dark Cornatus - 15.02.2014 at 11:37
Written by deadone on 15.02.2014 at 01:13

Written by Azarath on 15.02.2014 at 00:35

Flower Metal is Pop music in disguise as Metal.

I used to hate when Flower Metal was basically labelled as most Euro-inspired Power Metal back in the early to mid 2000's. NOW look at the scene! Sooooo much Flower Metal. SA were great back in the day, but this new kind of borderline power metal is barely metal at all.
Stunning Cactus - 15.02.2014 at 13:47
Was Jani really this important to their sound that without him, they do this? Or are they just selling out?

I hope to GOD that this single is nothing like the rest of the album. I mean it's not BAD, but it's far from enjoyable or innovative.
moe5512 - 16.02.2014 at 16:00
I think this song is really catchy! Maybe it's not the most br00tal song ever but if you think that a song must be tr03 metal to be good, well, keep living in your box. And yes, crappy video
deadone - 16.02.2014 at 23:43
Written by moe5512 on 16.02.2014 at 16:00

Some of my favourite pieces of music of all time are non-metal - Piano Man, What's New Pussy Cat, Mack The Knife, One For My Baby, Blue Danube, Tales From The Vienna Woods, Don't Drink The Water, Holiday In Cambodia etc etc.

Still doesn't stop that Sonata Artica song sounding like atrocious Eurovision pop music.

And that's what most "flower metal" is - atrocious pop that wouldn't even get on the Eurovision Song Contest.
Super_Greg - 17.02.2014 at 03:53
Written by deadone on 16.02.2014 at 23:43

Written by moe5512 on 16.02.2014 at 16:00

Yeah I agree. It sucks they are getting old and can't play fast anymore, so they resort to playing bad pop/rock.
Vintage Metaller - 18.02.2014 at 01:38
Written by N0RBERT on 14.02.2014 at 21:57

Average song,average video!
How could release a AAA band such an amateur,childish "home video" ?

Agreed Man. SA has really lost staying power with their last couple releases. This used to be one of my top 5 bands, now they have become an afterthought , a curiosity I indulge in for old times sake. I absolutely hated TDOG. Stones has a couple of tunes that I liked, but on the whole was "MEH". This particular video (WTF?) and song choice doesn't inspire much confidence.I expect another watered down, neutered SA release. I am more excited for the upcoming Sabaton and Iron Savior releases. I believe the once might power metal titans that SA once were, has long since fallen, leaving a pale shadow in its wake ...
HumanSpirit - 19.02.2014 at 10:26
Written by Teravolt_Danny on 14.02.2014 at 10:30

Written by HumanSpirit on 14.02.2014 at 07:34

They said the new album was gonna be like old school SA songs.

I believed them. They lied to me.

So one song that isn't 100% double bass = "ZOMG THEY LIED TO MEEEEEHHHH"

Relax there, chief. Just my opinion.
Azarath - 19.02.2014 at 22:49
Written by deadone on 15.02.2014 at 01:13

Power Metal is fine if you listen to Power Metal [...] not gutless shit masquerading as Metal.

Flower Metal is Pop music in disguise as Metal.

I was thinking about leaving this alone, but I won't. I don't see why metal using "pop" choruses (say 80's Judas Priest) or throwing some metal guitars on a "pop" song is a problem. You may not like the particular song but to you it's apparently the fusion itself that upsets you. As someone who's already admitted to liking music that's not metal (as well as confessed to liking Lady Gaga, haha ) what's the big deal?

Is it just a matter of "my metal must remain pure"?
deadone - 19.02.2014 at 23:09
Written by Azarath on 19.02.2014 at 22:49

Is it just a matter of "my metal must remain pure"?

I don't like the fusion being presented as Metal when stylistically it's not really Metal anymore.

I don't mind mixing other stuff into metal - e.g. Atheist and jazz, or the symphonic BM crowd shoving orchestras into their sound or even metal mixed in with country (Megadeth "The Blackest Crow), electronics and metal etc etc. And throw in bucket loads of hardcore/punk into the mix as well - yum.

But it still has to sound like Metal - i.e. degree of rawness, degree of heaviness etc etc.

Flower Metal doesn't sound like Metal at all other than watered down thin guitars.

Also most of this pop/flower metal is terrible by pop music standards. It's like some people liked the concept of Metal but didn't like the music so they added some crappy sounding guitars to bad Eurovision rejects.

And by the way I think Metalcore is Metal and some Nu-metal is Metal.
DarthSitthiander - 17.03.2014 at 01:59
Those ones are giving me a headache.

Written by deadone on 19.02.2014 at 23:09

Written by Azarath on 19.02.2014 at 22:49

Is it just a matter of "my metal must remain pure"?

And by the way I think Metalcore is Metal and some Nu-metal is Metal.

News Sonata Arctica - Release New Video 10.5 28.08.2012 by FeskarN
News Sonata Arctica - Release Lyric Video For New Single 10.5 28.02.2014 by Warman
News Sonata Arctica - New Video Online 9 23.04.2012 by DeepBlueSea