UPDATE: As predicted, Gwar's manager Jack Flanagan has released an official statement confirming Dave Brockie's death. It is now official. The band lost guitarist Corey Smoot in 2011 and now faces another loss. Our condolences to the family and friends. RIP.

The statement reads as follows: "It is with a saddened heart, that I confirm my dear friend Dave Brockie, artist, musician, and lead singer of Gwar passed away at approximately 6:50 PM EST Sunday March 23, 2014. His body was found Sunday by his band mate at his home in Richmond, VA. Richmond authorities have confirmed his death and next of kin has been notified. A full autopsy will be performed. He was 50 years old, born August 30, 1963. My main focus right now is to look after my band mates and his family. More information regarding his death shall be released as the details are confirmed."

Tragic news today. Richmond's outlet Style Weekly is reporting the passing of Dave Brockie (Oderus Urungus), Gwar's frontman. A member of the Richmond Police Department confirmed that the 50-year-old musician was found dead in his home by his roommates. While the band's management is expected to release an official statement today, Richmond's Lamb Of God frontman Randy Blythe has released a message on Instagram confirming Brockie's passing and sending his condolences.

Blythe wrote: "Got a very sad call tonight from my buddy Chris Bopst, who was one of the original members of Gwar - my friend Dave Brockie, AKA Oderus Urungus, the singer of Gwar, has left the building & taken off back to his home planet. He was 50 years old. I do not know details of why he died yet, just that he passed away at home & his roommates found him."

Former Gwar bassist Mike Bishop says: "Dave was one of the funniest, smartest, most creative and energetic persons I've known. He was brash sometimes, always crass, irreverent, he was hilarious in every way. But he was also deeply intelligent and interested in life, history, politics and art. His penchant for scatological humors belied a lucid wit. He was a criminally underrated lyricist and hard rock vocalist, one of the best, ever! A great front man, a great painter, writer, he was also a hell of a bass guitarist. I loved him. He was capable of great empathy and had a real sense of justice."

Mobile Death Camp, former bassist Todd Evans' side project, has left a RIP message on their Facebook page and so did former band member Chris Bopst: "I wish it was a joke. Everyone is in shock."

Courtesy of Style Weekly

Source: styleweekly.com
Band profile: Gwar

Posted: 24.03.2014 by BloodTears

Comments

psykometal - 24.03.2014 at 13:53
Talk about a shitty decade for metalheads. I never could get into GWAR, but there's no denying their legendary status in the metal community and the devastating impact this is going to have on the band, their fans and the community in general.
Marcel Hubregtse - 24.03.2014 at 14:18
Written by psykometal on 24.03.2014 at 13:53

... but there's no denying their legendary status in the metal community ...

Only based on their live shows and not on their average to piss poor music.

Saw them live a couple of times and it was Always fun, just a crying shame about their music.

A shame the main guy behind the band's show passed away.
Magere Tijn - 24.03.2014 at 14:30
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.03.2014 at 14:18

Written by psykometal on 24.03.2014 at 13:53

... but there's no denying their legendary status in the metal community ...

Only based on their live shows and not on their average to piss poor music.

A shame the main guy behind the band's show passed away.

If you have fun at the concert, does the music really matter that much? I saw them a couple of years ago in Hengelo and while the music indeed wasn't the most awesome of all time, I still had a blast. Walking out of the venue and seeing bloody footsteps for the next 50 meters, priceless.
psykometal - 24.03.2014 at 14:48
As previously stated, I never could get into GWAR therefore I have none of their albums. But I feel the need to pay homage to them in some way today, and I do own the first few Lordi albums. Would it be totally unforgivable, unacceptable blasphemy for me to jam to their biggest, most abhorred tribute band since they're all I have?
psykometal - 24.03.2014 at 15:00
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.03.2014 at 14:18

Only based on their live shows and not on their average to piss poor music.

A shame the main guy behind the band's show passed away.

Never been to a show but I've always heard they're killer. I agree about their music though, terribly pedestrian and lame.
Cynic Metalhead - 24.03.2014 at 16:03
No matter what Dave was the one who contributed to GWAR the highest. He was also considered the "main" guy of GWAR.

RIP.
Troy Killjoy - 24.03.2014 at 16:08
I feel bad for the people who knew him personally but never could quite understand why fans (or people in general) care about anyone dying without ever having truly known that person. Probably not the greatest thread for me to let the asshole side of me come out, but that's just how I see it.
Mr. Doctor - 24.03.2014 at 16:20
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.03.2014 at 16:08

I'd say it depends in how much their music meant for a part of someone's life. I haven't really felt truly bad about anyone atm but... Let's say Acid Bath's Dax Riggs passes away, I will definitely get quite sad considering how much his band meant to me.

To me it's easy to understand, I just haven't felt it... yet.
Troy Killjoy - 24.03.2014 at 16:27
Written by Mr. Doctor on 24.03.2014 at 16:20
To me it's easy to understand, I just haven't felt it... yet.

I guess I'm just apathetic about the whole thing. I just see it as people die - no big deal. When all my favorite musicians are dead I won't be any less happy with my life unless there isn't any good new music being made. They aren't my close friends and I don't feel like we're close just because I happen to like the music they made.
Mr. Doctor - 24.03.2014 at 16:29
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.03.2014 at 16:27

Written by Mr. Doctor on 24.03.2014 at 16:20
To me it's easy to understand, I just haven't felt it... yet.

I highly doubt anyone is any less happy with their lifes because of one of their favorite musicians is now dead. I don't think it works that way.
Cynic Metalhead - 24.03.2014 at 16:42
Written by Mr. Doctor on 24.03.2014 at 16:20

Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.03.2014 at 16:08

To me it's easy to understand, I just haven't felt it... yet.

Just like for you Acid Bath's Dax death affected you, for others Dave Brockie's death has affect many. No matter how many people takes a jab on GWAR or their music is average, at the end of day....Dave was the main guy behind this band. His contribuation was immense.
Fearmeister - 24.03.2014 at 17:21
God fucking dammit. I passed on their last show here thinking that I will have anther chance to see them ;_;
allgutsnoglory - 24.03.2014 at 17:40
Why must the acutally talented people die before the usless idiots who are less talented than feces?!
athena - 24.03.2014 at 17:57
Written by Mr. Doctor on 24.03.2014 at 16:20

Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.03.2014 at 16:08

To me it's easy to understand, I just haven't felt it... yet.

Don't jinx Dax!!!!!! And yes, that would hurt like hell...
athena - 24.03.2014 at 17:57
R.I.P. Dave.
Mr. Doctor - 24.03.2014 at 18:00
Written by athena on 24.03.2014 at 17:57
Don't jinx Dax!!!!!! And yes, that would hurt like hell...

I would friggin die if this happened today due to high levels of irony in my blood. D:
Fallen Ghost - 24.03.2014 at 18:02
Never liked the band, but it's sad news anyways. Rest in peace
DeathMetal - 24.03.2014 at 19:52
Damn that sucks..
Butters49 - 24.03.2014 at 20:03
I know many people here dont like Gwar,
but they were always a HUGE part of my life.
I am deeply saddened by this... Epic music, even more epic shows.

RIP Brockie.
OpenFaceSurgery - 24.03.2014 at 20:24
Written by Mr. Doctor on 24.03.2014 at 16:20

Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.03.2014 at 16:08

To me it's easy to understand, I just haven't felt it... yet.

Considering Acid Bath are my absolute favorite band, my sadness would be immense.
AngelofDeth - 24.03.2014 at 21:22
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.03.2014 at 16:08

art is a way of communicating/connecting, so to some extant we do get to know our favorite artists through their music. I think it would be pretty disrespectful just to be completely indifferent to the death of someone who gave you some joy in your life.

Now I'm not a huge GWAR fan but their concert was one of the best i've ever been to so that suxx he is no longer. Dont think GWAR will be the same without him.
BlueMobius - 24.03.2014 at 22:01
Written by AngelofDeth on 24.03.2014 at 21:22

Dont think GWAR will be the same without him.

I really can't honestly see Gwar continue after his death. The band was very much his baby. He poured much of his time into the band, which was very DIY in terms of the costumes, live gimmicks, etc.
Lehctim - 24.03.2014 at 22:10
Are you fucking kidding me? This guy was the best interview on the planet. Have you seen him read goodnight moon? I can't believe this
Arcticus - 24.03.2014 at 22:28
Just saw Gwar about 3 weeks ago for the second time, they were great as always - RIP Oderus Urungus, may your Scumdog soul find peace.
-Morbid- - 24.03.2014 at 23:44
Damn, what a shame. Say what you want about GWAR's music but Brockie was a funny guy. I still love him on that episode of Jerry Springer with the kid that is a GWAR fan and his concerned mother.

As someone said above, it's kinda hard to picture the band going on without him. His voice was and delivery was pretty unique, even if it was sort of a "love it or hate it" thing, and he seemed to really be the force behind the band.

Was really hoping to get some of my friends and family to go the next time a tour came near. At least I got to see them live once.
Jiri - 25.03.2014 at 00:49
RIP. How will we break the news to Beavis and Butthead?
LeChron James - 25.03.2014 at 07:21
I'm sorta with Marcel, their music wasn't that good. Their live show was...strange, but I didn't like their music very much.

Either way, R.I.P.
Jtbmetal123 - 25.03.2014 at 07:39
The news of his passing is so sad to me. As a metalhead my second live show I ever saw was GWAR. The live show was one of the greatest ive ever seen. Coming home with fake blood everywhere with the coolest show ive ever seen. It was a pleasure seeing them live and I hope the family members and close friends the best of wishes. The metal community has suffered a huge loss today. RIP Dave Brockie
Mattybu - 25.03.2014 at 17:04
Written by Mr. Doctor on 24.03.2014 at 16:29

Make fun of me all you want but in a certain way I am less happy with my life now that Ceddybu isn't alive. Jeff Hanneman too.
LascaillesShroud - 26.03.2014 at 00:11
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.03.2014 at 16:27

Written by Mr. Doctor on 24.03.2014 at 16:20
To me it's easy to understand, I just haven't felt it... yet.

For some people the music becomes part of their identity in some small way, a piece of who they are. Iron Maiden are pretty mentally attached to every major event in my life from my childhood to the death of my mother. When someone who was part of that dies, you loose something, it's small, but nevertheless you feel a connection with something you held close to you is now weakened or lost, and sadness is an appropriate, logical, and understandable response to it.
Hatebeard - 26.03.2014 at 03:28
RIP Dave... You will be sorely missed brother.

I hope all you haters get cancer, or die in a fire...maybe both.
Troy Killjoy - 27.03.2014 at 01:58
Written by Guest on 26.03.2014 at 03:28
I hope all you haters get cancer, or die in a fire...maybe both.

At least you're keeping it classy in spite of all the "hate".
BitterCOld - 27.03.2014 at 02:28
Hope you're smoking crack and slaughtering foo's in hell, Oderus!

didn't think too highly of any of their albums, but they had a couple ace tracks.

Slaughterama, Morality Squad, Rock And Roll Never Felt So Good
deadone - 27.03.2014 at 03:21
Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.03.2014 at 01:58

Written by Guest on 26.03.2014 at 03:28
I hope all you haters get cancer, or die in a fire...maybe both.

At least you're keeping it classy in spite of all the "hate".

I wonder whether by "beard" he is referring to hair growing on the face or whether he is referring to a person who hangs out with homosexuals to mask their sexual orientation?

News Gwar - Detail Dave Brockie Memorial, First GWAR-B-Q Bands 7.5 02.05.2014 by Lit.
News Gwar - Dave Brockie Died Of Accidental Heroin Overdose 7.5 04.06.2014 by Orangutoad
News Stigmhate - Frontman Marco Gambicchia Passes Away 5.5 18.07.2014 by Gothmog_Motsham
News Dirty Looks - Frontman Passes Away 5.5 27.01.2011 by Troy Killjoy
News Urgehal - Frontman Trondr Nefas Passes Away 5.5 14.05.2012 by !J.O.O.E.!