British metal legends Judas Priest start this week with a bang. They have unveiled the artwork for their upcoming new album, Redeemer Of Souls which is set for a July 11th-16th release in various territories throughout the world. In addition to the revealing of the album title and artwork, the band have also released the title track for listening on their official website. The artwork and the new track are found below.

What do you think about this new tune?

Worldwide release dates:

Friday 11th of July: Australia, Austria, Benelux, Finland, Germany, Ireland, New Zealand, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland and Turkey

Monday 14th of July: Asia (excluding Japan), Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Greece, Hungary, Poland, Portugal, South Africa and UK

Tuesday 15th of July: Canada, Italy, Latin America, Russia, Spain and USA

Wednesday 16th July: Japan

Source: judaspriest.com
Band profile: Judas Priest

Posted: 28.04.2014 by Angelic Storm

Comments

ManiacBlasphemer - 28.04.2014 at 13:20
Typical Priest... kinda average though... I would have enjoyed it if it was sped up a little bit. And damn, Halford is surely showing his age in this song. He can't reach high notes anymore and probably the other members had to adapt to his condition.

One thing is for sure, this does not seem similar with any song from Nostradamus, so those that were unpleased with the previous one might actually like this one. Hope that the rest of the album is better than this song though.
King Bonzo - 28.04.2014 at 14:31
2 stars. Not offensive but kinda plodding. Certainly not up to Priest's classic standard... then maybe I was hoping for too much 24 years after Painkiller....
JÄY - 28.04.2014 at 14:58
No complaints, here! Priest sounds great!
sharkruisher - 28.04.2014 at 15:07
So glad that they are stepping away from "Nostradamus" and are instead creating true Judas Priest music. The song itself is nothing really special, but this makes me hopeful for the album.

And the album artwork is one of the better ones this year
Bad English - 28.04.2014 at 16:46
Great song for this band ... no matter how old are they, song are good, well I dobt care if bands dont tour they must be studio band till they die ... they still can
Orangutoad - 28.04.2014 at 16:49
Sigh. I've been a huge fan of Priest for 25 years and this has to be one of the most boring, monotonous songs I've ever heard them do. On one hand, I'm glad they are dropping the theatrical Nostradamus bullshit and "attempting" to go back to their older styles, but on the other hand, it sounds like they are just too old and worn out to pull it off now. The magic is gone. Especially for Rob, he can't sing for shit anymore, and it's downright tragic to see him carry on like this instead of gracefully bowing out.

I guess I still have a small glimmer of hope that a few of the other tracks on the album will be decent, but after hearing this, I'm honestly not expecting much. There comes a time when some bands just need to call it a day, and now is that time for Priest.

This song lacks everything that made Priest so legendary...
Dentura - 28.04.2014 at 17:29
Not bad of a tune, has a bit of that Painkiller sound going for it. Not the greatest Priest song ever (it's pretty average), but I'm sure the rest of the album will contain even greater surprises considering this will probably be their last album.
AssToMouthKiller - 28.04.2014 at 17:38
Come on, this song is awsome, and Halford´s vocals are great. I´m really looking forward to this album.
BloodTears - 28.04.2014 at 18:59
Not really feeling it. Love Judas Priest but this song isn't very appealing to me.

Hopefully the rest of the album will be better
Dave Cerdo - 28.04.2014 at 19:06
I don't like the song. One of the worst that i've heard from them (except for that shit called Demolition)
It is really boring. Not catchy, not punchy...
Fearmeister - 28.04.2014 at 19:07
Holy shit, this is basically a sub par copy of the song Hell Patrol.

No thanks, I'll just spin my Painkiller album again instead of getting this.
Soviet - 28.04.2014 at 19:09
Pretty solid. Don't know what the hell most of you were listening to.
Mattybu - 28.04.2014 at 21:29
Written by King Bonzo on 28.04.2014 at 14:31

then maybe I was hoping for too much 24 years after Painkiller....

And 30+ since their best albums
King Bonzo - 28.04.2014 at 21:46
Written by Mattybu on 28.04.2014 at 21:29

Written by King Bonzo on 28.04.2014 at 14:31

then maybe I was hoping for too much 24 years after Painkiller....

And 30+ since their best albums

Very true but Painkiller was the last great album.
Mattybu - 28.04.2014 at 22:06
Written by King Bonzo on 28.04.2014 at 21:46

Very true but Painkiller was the last great album.

I can agree with that... a slab of pure battle hardened metal
qlacs - 28.04.2014 at 22:30
Sounds like power metal....
Kingface - 28.04.2014 at 23:00
Written by King Bonzo on 28.04.2014 at 14:31

Even as a big Priest fan, I 100% agree with you on this. I hope the rest of the album offers much more.
The Shape 1973 - 28.04.2014 at 23:21
Vocals sound like some sub par Malmsteen song, but without decent guitar work. Dull. Living off past glories. Almost sounds like a HammerFall song played badly.
Angelic Storm - 29.04.2014 at 01:30
Written by qlacs on 28.04.2014 at 22:30

Sounds like power metal....

Priest influenced that sub-genre more than any other band, so I don't get what's so surprising about that.

As for my thoughts on the song... well, for one thing, it's either very poorly produced, or the bitrate of the song is of a low quality. I'm hoping that the sound on the actual album is a lot better. The guitar sound is weird, and lacks any oomph, or bite.

The music itself is certainly not bad, but Priest fans have been spoiled over the years by several highly influential, and genre defining albums, so simply being "good" isn't going to cut it with a lot of fans. For me, I have no expectations or need for the band to produce something that re-invents the mold, or is truly epoch making again. The band have nothing left to prove, and I'll be quite happy with a standard Priest album, that contains memorable melodies, and incisive riffs.

There are some songs that make good choices to introduce fans to an album, and there are some songs that work far better in a full album context, than as a stand-alone song which is supposed to be a preview for the album. I am hoping that there will be a few up-tempo numbers on the album, and this song could well come into it's own in an album context.

I'll reserve full judgement until I hear a high quality version of the song, or on the album. But as it is, I quite like it, and the more I hear it, the more I like it. It likely will never make it into the pantheon of classic Priest tracks, but on the other hand, they have produced far worse songs over the course of their career. It's a nice song, if nothing spectacular.
Apothecary - 29.04.2014 at 03:37
Well it's certainly nothing new or original, but why the fuck does it need to be? Also impressed that Halford can still belt it out after all these years. I think his high notes are gone (haven't heard him do any falsetto in a while), but the guy's still got it.
deadone - 29.04.2014 at 04:06
Not a Priest fan so take my post with a grain of salt.

Song was ok as a filler track but that's it. Plods along without much interesting happening, especially in the guitar parts.

Written by Apothecary on 29.04.2014 at 03:37

Exactly! I never understand the push for "new and original" from old bands. And when they do new and original they get sledged by the fans for not playing their old style. It's a lose-lose scenario for the band and it shows how fickle the market is.
Apothecary - 29.04.2014 at 04:16
Written by deadone on 29.04.2014 at 04:06

Exactly, you're fucked either way. So really, they should just do what they do and do it well. This new track's no Sinner or Stained Class material, but it definitely isn't bad. I can dig it.
deadone - 29.04.2014 at 04:35
Written by Apothecary on 29.04.2014 at 04:16

Exactly.

And people that don't like the new stuff can always just listen to the old stuff. Hell I've not liked any In Flames since Reoute To Remain. Hence I just don't listen to the new stuff and then moan it's not Whoracle or Jester Race. Instead I just listen to those albums I like.
Apothecary - 29.04.2014 at 04:45
Written by deadone on 29.04.2014 at 04:35

A good attitude, but with other people, that's where what we call Small Penis Syndrome comes into play
That is, people who can't merely settle with what they like and don't like, but have to self project that onto other people and convince them to like and dislike the same things.
JPR - 29.04.2014 at 05:09
Written by Soviet on 28.04.2014 at 19:09

Pretty solid. Don't know what the hell most of you were listening to.

Agree fellow!!
sbuswell - 29.04.2014 at 05:29
OK at best. Guitar part in the middle is decent. Rob's vocals are strained. He is too old to sing like he used to. He was one of the greatest vocalist ever.
Timelord - 29.04.2014 at 05:45
Made it through 42 seconds before I had to hit the stop button. Its generic at best and its still better than anything from "Nostrilshamus". I am amazed that bands STILL try and convince themselves that a concept album about some medieval crap is the way to go. Only a handful have managed to pull it off with success and 'Nostrilshamus" wasn't among them. Long time Priest fans will be mixed imo. I seriously doubt any new fans will be gained from this song(album). .......Side note: Anybody else sick of that Motherfucking Epiduo commercial that comes on every 5 minutes??!! Damn near broke my tv throwing a shoe at it just now. Anyway very weak song from Judas Priest.
Angelic Storm - 29.04.2014 at 07:57
Written by Apothecary on 29.04.2014 at 03:37

Totally agreed on all that! Yep, Rob has lost a fair chunk of his range, but he can still sing great in the low-mid ranges. In actual fact, I think he sings better in those ranges now than he did in his prime. He's just lost much of his higher range, which is what he's best known for. But I really like his vocals on the new song.

Oh, and by the way, happy birthday! Hope you're having a great day.
M C Vice - 29.04.2014 at 09:58
It's alright.
Am I the only one who thought Nostradamus was a great album?
DeathSlyzer - 29.04.2014 at 11:09
I thought this song was great. i don't get why so many of you guys like complaining so much. This reminded me of Hell Patrol actually. The difference is that this song is a little slower and also more melodic. I really liked the melody, and I think this was a strong song in general. But of course, it's popular to hate on every new song, so I expected nothing more from you guys to begin with. Saying that this song is monotonous is a fatal misunderstanding.
bblitz - 29.04.2014 at 11:14
Unbelievable! Theres no more to say....
immortal78 - 29.04.2014 at 18:06
Unfortunatelly Priests;( i would like to listen something a bit different that what you did on Nostradamus new song follows unfortunatelly previous way and its vibe and sound of Nostradamus. Im very disapointed so far and afraid that sound on the rest of the record Hope so not
Apothecary - 29.04.2014 at 18:36
Written by Angelic Storm on 29.04.2014 at 07:57

Oh, and by the way, happy birthday! Hope you're having a great day.

Why thank you
Orangutoad - 29.04.2014 at 20:41
I know I was a bit harsh with my comment, but Priest have high standards to live up to, and this doesn't come even close. I tried listening to it a few more times thinking it might grow on me a little, and it doesn't. In my opinion it is just plain awful.

I was really hoping they might put out at least one more record that completely destroys before calling it a day, seeing as I only liked about 50% of Angel of Retribution and hated Nostradamus entirely, but doesn't look like that's going to happen.
DeathSlyzer - 29.04.2014 at 22:38
Written by Orangutoad on 29.04.2014 at 20:41

Rather than telling you that you don't know what you're talking about, I would instead like to understand why you use the words "plain awful". I guess I can understand that some would find the song boring, but awful? I don't know dude. I don't think I get it. I saw somebody said it was monotonous, and if anything, I can say that's not true. From a musical standpoint even. There is a clearly crafted melodic chorus which is not monotonous. Had it been, it would consist of one to three notes, and that it doesn't.

I definitely don't wanna come off sounding like a pissed off Priest fanboy. I'm just curious to know why certain individuals think that way instead.
slayerules - 30.04.2014 at 01:25
Not bad but it doesn't stand out at all. I'm a huge fan of Judas Priest but I think the best times are long gone...
Orangutoad - 30.04.2014 at 05:17
Written by DeathSlyzer on 29.04.2014 at 22:38

Written by Orangutoad on 29.04.2014 at 20:41

Well, this is just my opinion...not everyone is going to agree, and that's fine. I knew that before I posted here. I myself am wondering why any long time Priest fan would actually appreciate anything this sub-par after their amazing career, but apparently some do. What urks me about your reply is that you say you don't want to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about...what does that even mean? There is no "right answer" when it comes to music, it's all personal taste, how could I not know what I'm talking about? I grew up listening to Priest, and I have a lot of great memories that are tied to their music. I wouldn't even bother posting this kind of criticism if I didn't feel strongly about the band, and if you like it, that's great! I wish I did, but truth is I think it is awful. Yes awful. It is really disappointing to hear them churn out something so empty and heartless, especially after waiting for years to hear them come back to form. This is one of my favorite bands of all time, and this saddens me because in the 30+ years I have listened to them, I have never heard them do anything this bad. Not even with Nostradamus or the Ripper Owens years.

To me, the song is generic, extremely boring, and has no soul...no fire. It sounds like they phoned it in. It lacks all of the badassery that Priest is known for, in fact, I think it is one of the laziest songs I've ever heard them play. Rob Halford has gone from the Metal God with a golden voice to sounding like some random old man singing in the shower, and I would much rather see him bow out gracefully and retire than carry on unable to perform at even half the level of intensity and passion that he is known for.
SBGMetal - 30.04.2014 at 09:28
People are reaching too many conclusions by listening to this one song, i mean no one priest album had all good songs... i thought the song was a bit simple but i still really enjoyed it and lookin forward to the new album
Azarath - 30.04.2014 at 15:59
Pretty underwhelming on the first listen, but after a few more it feels like an average Priest song. Nothing classic about it, just one of those album tracks that leave little impression.

What is worrying is that this is what they're going with as the first taste of the album. As such it should be one of the stronger songs off the album, right?
DeathSlyzer - 02.05.2014 at 11:00
Written by Orangutoad on 30.04.2014 at 05:17

Written by DeathSlyzer on 29.04.2014 at 22:38

Written by Orangutoad on 29.04.2014 at 20:41

Alright. I didn't mean to offend you in any way with the first part of my last reply. You might be misunderstanding me here. I said that mostly because I wanted to let you know that I wouldn't flip out or anything like that just because you have your opinion. And I still feel that way. I can't imagine the way you feel about this track, and I believe that's ok. So we might have to chat again when the album is out, to check our opinions again then.
Paw!! - 03.05.2014 at 19:21
Nice stuff
Vengeance Time - 06.05.2014 at 16:04
This song kicks arse and and as 30 year Priest fan....younger bands could still learn a lot from these Metal Gods
this song had me thinking of of old favs like Defenders and Screaming....I for one will follow Priest 'till the end !!
Marcel Hubregtse - 06.05.2014 at 19:37
Written by Vengeance Time on 06.05.2014 at 16:04

you are extremely funny, good sir.

News Arjen Lucassen - Unveils New Solo Album Title And Cover Art 8.5 07.03.2012 by Unhealer
News Scar Symmetry - New Album Title And Cover Art Revealed 8.5 21.07.2009 by Vitriolic Hate
News Grave Digger - Reveal New Album Title And Cover Art 8.5 18.06.2012 by Angel_Lament
News Týr - New Album Title And Artwork Revealed, New Song Online 8.5 22.07.2013 by Deinonychus
News Goatwhore - Share New Song And Album Cover Art 8.5 29.05.2014 by SleepFan