The official cause of death of Gwar's frontman Dave Brockie (Oderus Urungus) has been revealed. He passed away in March but the actual cause of his death was not confirmed at the time. WTVR now reports that the Virginia State Medical Examiner's Office confirms he died of an accidental heroin overdose.

The Medical Examiner's official cause of death: acute heroin toxicity, means: accident. Brockie, was found unresponsive by his roommate in his North Richmond home on March 23rd. Responding police investigators found evidence of heroin use, but the cause of death wasn't finalized until toxicology tests were completed.

Meanwhile, Lamb Of God's frontman Randy Blythe, a friend of Dave Brockie, posted a message on his Instagram about this: "Here's me with Dave Brockie & Brad Roberts of Gwar in 2006. Brad & I are still here, but Dave is gone - accidental heroin overdose, as many of you heard today. Not that it really matters, because dead is dead, but I don't think Brockie was a stone cold junkie when he died - he couldn't have done all that he did if he was strung out. He partied hard at periods, but I think he was more of a drug dabbler. But there's a lesson here - dabbling with drugs kills people dead every day, just like being fully addicted does. I am so fucking sick of my friends dying from alcohol & drugs. Really, really, tired of it - some of them die slow in the throes of addiction, & some of them die after just doing something stupid one night after a party. Some if them fuck around and fuck around and fuck around...'I'll get sober one day...' For most of them, that day comes for sure - when we put them in a casket. It's better to be alive when you get sober."

He continues: "Wake up. Get help. Stop. Please, I'm fucking begging you. You can do it. Please please please get some help. If I can do it, anyone can, because I was a total wreck for years. Just get some help, goddamn it. And if you haven't started, don't. Just don't. There is nothing cool about being an alcoholic, a drug addict, or dead. Trust me. For the love of God, just don't start. Please."

A special memorial event will be held free to the public only on August 15th, 2014 at Hadad's Lake in Richmond, Virginia in celebration of the life of Dave Brockie.

Source: wtvr.com
Band profile: Gwar

Posted: 04.06.2014 by BloodTears

Comments

Orangutoad - 04.06.2014 at 14:24
RIP bro...you will be sorely missed. As always, I will continue rocking out to GWAR.
ManiacBlasphemer - 04.06.2014 at 14:59
Geez... I just can remember how many died of drug overdose... RIP
!J.O.O.E.! - 04.06.2014 at 16:29
Seriously, smack. why do people even try that shit? I can understand if you're on the streets with nothing to live for but using it as a party drug is just stupid. There are so many safer recreational drugs available.

Oh well, RIP.
Ilham - 04.06.2014 at 17:14
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 04.06.2014 at 16:29

Oh well, RIP.

Sounds like the "cool-uncle-who-introduces-his-nephews-to-recreational-drugs-and-gives-them-his-old-penthouses-under-the-table" kind of advice.
!J.O.O.E.! - 04.06.2014 at 17:16
Written by Ilham on 04.06.2014 at 17:14

Paha, probably. There are so many great drugs in the world. Might as well educate people on the good and safe ones instead of being all "Drugs are bad mmkay."
Ilham - 04.06.2014 at 17:18
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 04.06.2014 at 17:16

Joe, the voice of moderate reason. Cool enough to be an epitaph, amirite?
!J.O.O.E.! - 04.06.2014 at 17:21
Written by Ilham on 04.06.2014 at 17:18

Joe, the voice of moderate reason. Cool enough to be an epitaph, amirite?

I like how understated it is, which is why it's cool.
Coolingsrock - 04.06.2014 at 17:50
I get what the article means but how do overdose on heroin by accident? ooops, I thought that was my diabetes shot.
No but but seriously like !J.O.O.E! said there's way safer recreational drugs available.
Orangutoad - 04.06.2014 at 18:14
I agree with you guys, Heroin is not exactly a party drug. I've always seen opiates in general as more of a, "I'm in constant pain everyday and don't want to live this way" or a "I think life is boring, so I'm going to enhance it with drugs" type of a thing.

I don't know from direct experience (not with heroin anyway), but I do know that it's not hard to overdose. Much like other things such as weed or coke, heroin's strength is not consistent, and if you underestimate the stuff you're about to use...you will die.
Lehctim - 05.06.2014 at 04:01
Heroins a boring drug wtf oderus. Thought you were a crackhead
deadone - 05.06.2014 at 04:17
So for all his supposed intelligence, he did some incredibly stupid things.

I have no respect for people who do drugs (and I lost a cousin to Hepatitis from sharing needles whilst he was junkie and numerous friends to hard drugs).

Totally agree with Randy Blyth.
LeChron James - 05.06.2014 at 09:50
Written by Ilham on 04.06.2014 at 17:14

Cool uncles give you beer and/or reefer. Cool uncles don't give you heroin.
BlackEssence - 05.06.2014 at 10:02
Not RIP for him. Why? I bet he know that heroin is dangerous, so it's only his fault. It shouldn't be titled 'Died of heroin overdose' but 'Died, because he was idiot enough to take hoeroin'.
Ilham - 05.06.2014 at 11:11
Written by LeChron James on 05.06.2014 at 09:50

Cool uncles give you beer and/or reefer. Cool uncles don't give you heroin.

We were not talking about heroin. Since when heroin is a recreational drug?
cossaisVendeurs - 05.06.2014 at 15:40
Wasn't Brockie a cop? I thought he'd be against such things.
Butters49 - 08.06.2014 at 19:31
:'(
Troy Killjoy - 11.06.2014 at 02:29
Does heroin even help with creative inspiration? At least hit a bong or eat some shrooms if you wanna write some cool chunes.

News Gwar - Frontman Dave Brockie Passes Away 7.5 24.03.2014 by psykometal
News Gwar - Detail Dave Brockie Memorial, First GWAR-B-Q Bands 7.5 02.05.2014 by Lit.
News Gwar - Announce New Guitarist 4.5 03.10.2012 by Lit.
Reviews Gwar - Beyond Hell 3 12.12.2006 by Ozman