The Local is reporting that Burzum's Varg Vikernes has been found guilty by a French court of inciting racial hatred and glorifying war crimes through his blog postings. His trial started in June after being postponed last year. Vikernes was originally arrested in 2013 on suspicion of planning a terrorist act but released from custody shortly after. He was tried on incitement charges related to anti-Semitic and xenophobic postings on his blog.

The Norwegian musician faces a 8,000 ($10,000) fine and six-month suspended prison sentence for blog postings that allegedly glorified war crimes and promoted discrimination against Jews and Muslims. Vikernes, 41, was not present in court and neither was his lawyer as the verdict was delivered. He has denied posting racist blogs and said they were written by someone else.

Varg told the court that according to Norwegian secret police there were "at any given moment 350 people pretending to be Varg Vikernes on Facebook", adding that "anybody can very easily put up a blog" that appeared to be one of his. Ten excerpts from the blogs written between March and June 2013 that attack Muslims and Jews were presented as evidence in court.

Burzum also released the new album The Ways Of Yore this year in case you hadn't noticed.

Photo: Jacques Demarthon/AFP

Source: thelocal.no
Band profile: Burzum

Posted: 08.07.2014 by BloodTears

Comments

ManiacBlasphemer - 08.07.2014 at 21:21
After so much trouble he has been through in his teenage years you would think that a man who wasted the most important years of his life would want to have a decent, peaceful life in a more secluded place. But no... Vikernes is the kind of guy that no matter how much trouble he gets into, he just won't learn. Varg dude, this time you have a family, think about it when you post stupid racist, xenophobic shit because the ones who will suffer will be your kids and your wife.
Lit. - 08.07.2014 at 21:24

Maniac's right; the dude never learns, and he should at least know better than to try such a flimsy excuse.
Ocean Sage - 08.07.2014 at 21:28
Wow, there goes Burzum and Varg's family. They are going to get the rough end of this.
Fallen Ghost - 08.07.2014 at 21:29
What a douche..
Fearmeister - 08.07.2014 at 21:31
I wonder how Varg got in trouble for doing this stuff but not Famine?
Fearmeister - 08.07.2014 at 21:33
Written by Ocean Sage on 08.07.2014 at 21:28

So Burzum and his family can survive being jailed for murder but not racism?
!J.O.O.E.! - 08.07.2014 at 21:35
He's not going to prison though. It's a suspended sentence, which means if he fucks up in that time frame he will go to prison.
Windrider - 08.07.2014 at 21:44
"written by someone else ..." He has this damn huge site online in which he constantly posts shit... The stuff about Burzum is interesting, but together with his wife (which is ready for the asylum) they think of too much shit and write it down...
Paz - 08.07.2014 at 22:13
Written by Fearmeister on 08.07.2014 at 21:31

I wonder how Varg got in trouble for doing this stuff but not Famine?

Famine peeing on the internet, if I remember correctly. So he (rather) don't have a blog where publishes such content. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Reaper_Redeamer - 08.07.2014 at 22:27
Unhealer - 08.07.2014 at 22:31
Written by Paz on 08.07.2014 at 22:13

Dunno about blogs, but you can find interviews where he speaks out his mind without hesitation.

Keep in mind that Varg is a celebrity by now, when this arrest happened it even had a place on the most popular newspaper of my country... and that won't happen unless it's something big. On the contrary, nobody knows who Famine is. And those who know the bands he was involved in may not recognize him by his pseudonym either.
Andrew_Deer - 08.07.2014 at 23:05
Well, this is insteresting. So he got fined just for writing down his thoughts? It's like arresting a songwriter or poet. How come people can't write what they want? Or do I understand wrong?
a MasT - 08.07.2014 at 23:24
I love free-speech.
Amatsu Mikaboshi - 08.07.2014 at 23:45
Those autographed things must be worth a fortune. They must be an exceedingly rare find.
X5452 - 08.07.2014 at 23:52
DRAMA ALERT!!!
Karlabos - 08.07.2014 at 23:54
Written by Andrew_Deer on 08.07.2014 at 23:05

Agree with this.
Ocean Sage - 09.07.2014 at 00:38
Written by Fearmeister on 08.07.2014 at 21:33

Written by Ocean Sage on 08.07.2014 at 21:28

So Burzum and his family can survive being jailed for murder but not racism?

Their reputation is just going to keep getting worse. Before it was just Varg and his then girlfriend. His kids will grow up with everyone hating, bullying and potentially hurting/threatening them. It's a different situation. Don't be ignorant and group every Varg controversy together. Imagine his family's perspective and have a heart or at least empathize with someone else there, man.
Vombatus - 09.07.2014 at 00:42
Written by Andrew_Deer on 08.07.2014 at 23:05

Well, being condemned or censored for "racial hatred" is quite common... And I guess french authorities were a bit frustrated after last years intervention so they were looking forward to this.
Jiri - 09.07.2014 at 01:09
Varg needs to crowdfund his $10,000 fine.
Rsrdaman - 09.07.2014 at 02:36
Written by Andrew_Deer on 08.07.2014 at 23:05

I'm thinking the same thing.
Unless I'm reading this wrong, he is getting fined for "discrimination against Jews and Muslims"? He's a irreligious Black Metal musician, of course he is going to be against them just as much as he is against Christians. How is it any different?
Sword_Chant - 09.07.2014 at 02:45
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 08.07.2014 at 21:21

^ Well said!
Troy Killjoy - 09.07.2014 at 03:55
No matter how bad my life gets, at least I know I'm not Varg Vikernes.
Electes - 09.07.2014 at 04:03
Written by Jiri on 09.07.2014 at 01:09

Varg needs to crowdfund his $10,000 fine.

I'd give him a dollar. His site is so tame, haha. The French gov must not have looked far into the interwebs if they think Varg is dangerous.
Paw!! - 09.07.2014 at 04:49
To muslim? haha
Ilham - 09.07.2014 at 04:56
Written by deadone on 09.07.2014 at 04:53

Amazing. Freedom of speech in France is a hilarious farce.
Interestingly enough the French let Islamic terrorist types walk free until some idiot shots some kids and 3 soldiers and then promptly went on an arresting spree, arresting all these guys they knew were fundamentalist extremists with links to terrorism.
Politicial correctness gone mad.

I love how you mix two things that have absolutely nothing to do with each other.
Ilham - 09.07.2014 at 05:17
Written by deadone on 09.07.2014 at 05:05

They do have a lot in common. On one case some twat gets charged for spreading hate on internet and on the other a whole heap of dudes with terror links spewing hate get to walk around until someone got killed.
It's political correctness gone mad - one set of rules for idiot whites spreading hate and another for idiot Muslims/North Africans spreading hate (and then one of them going on a killing spree).
And in the end it's all related to discourses about the future of our societies as well as centuries old conflicts that flare up occassionally.

You are comparing two events that are in no way similar, neither in terms of context nor gravity. I think you are very quick to judge every time the word "muslim" appears somewhere, and that leads you to put together any fact you might have heard of with the one in hand. I don't think that's how you should think about the situation. Thinking only with examples and counter-examples leads to nothing.
Ilham - 09.07.2014 at 05:42
Written by deadone on 09.07.2014 at 05:29

Certainly not in gravity - some Black Metal twat spouting hate is far less effective than some cleric doing so and inciting or assisting actual violent acts.

As for context, it's the same. What's the difference between a white guy saying "death to Jews/Christians," or some Muslim/Black/Asian/whatever guy "saying death to Westerners?"

As for word muslim, in case you haven't noticed, the West has been waging war against extremist muslims since 2001 whilst extremist Muslims have been waging war on west since at least 1993. You can understand the lack of trust.

I don't know if I made myself clear. I am not commenting on your post because I side with the verdict. I have absolutely no interest in what Varg does with his mouth. I just don't think it's reasonable to compare a terrorist act to this. It's fact that you don't want to see. Just because there is something in this story about Varg dissing muslims, it doesn't mean you can compare it to an unrelated crime involving a muslim and put the two together so as to draw the conclusion the French justice system is biased, flawed, skewed, or whatever you were trying to say. It makes you look almost like a conspiracy nut.
Again, I am talking about your reasoning in itself.
LeChron James - 09.07.2014 at 06:11
Varg is the OJ Simpson of black metal. Dude cannot stay out of trouble even if he tries haha.
M C Vice - 09.07.2014 at 06:23
"It wasn't me who wrote it. It was Øystein. He did it."
Ilham - 09.07.2014 at 06:31
Written by deadone on 09.07.2014 at 06:08

My point is the French let several of those arrested spout hate until it got very bloody, whereas Varg was jumped on quickly.
Some of those arrested were terrorists but others were just extremists albeit with more influence than Varg as they were clerics.
So how come the French government jumps on some Black Metal twat straight away but let terrorists/suspected extremists go about their business until it turned bloody?
That's the thing you're not seeing. That's a clear bias.
The French also cancelled visas for some visiting imams at the time because they were also know to spout hatred.
So if the Toulouse/Montauban killings hadn't happened, the French would've let those extremists carry on.
Meanwhile I doubt they would have let a Nazi/white supermacist go - after all white supremacists and Neo-nazis are hated more in the west than even active terrorists.

I understand what you're trying to say, but I still don't agree. The struggle against islam radicals and terrorists happens in the dark. Most of what is done in that matter is never disclosed to the public, and if it is, it happens only after being filtered first and distorted by the media then. You can't say the French justice is biased against nazis (lol) compared to radical imams based on what I still think is an isolated event of a nutter not being able to shut his mouth and got fined quick for it. You are always bringing the subject back to islam. That is your problem. Plus you are trying to bring me into the ring, yet I have said I had absolutely no interest in debating the subject of Varg or radical mulslim crimes in France and the way the justice reacts to them.
Apothecary - 09.07.2014 at 06:53
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 08.07.2014 at 21:21

It's called insanity.
Rot Teufel - 09.07.2014 at 10:12
Written by Rsrdaman on 09.07.2014 at 02:36

Written by Andrew_Deer on 08.07.2014 at 23:05

I'm thinking the same thing.

that muslims and jews whining more than christians, plus in France muslims are the largest religion (see all their ex african colonies). So here comes the zero tolerance politically correct to save the world from racism hate (yes, i'm sarcastic)...
Funny thing, because most of franzosen actually doesn't likes muslims like Varg (someone has said Marie Le Pen?). And the socialist prime minister Manuel Valls is well know for a strong anti islamic extremist policy.
Officer_Nice - 09.07.2014 at 11:14
Freedom of speech... just watch what you say
M C Vice - 09.07.2014 at 12:50
Couldn't he have been imprisoned? I like his prison albums.
Carl Berg - 09.07.2014 at 15:26
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 08.07.2014 at 21:21

Well said
Troy Killjoy - 09.07.2014 at 17:23
Written by M C Vice on 09.07.2014 at 12:50
I like his prison albums.

Contender for joke of the year.
Mr. Doctor - 09.07.2014 at 17:27
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.07.2014 at 17:23

Written by M C Vice on 09.07.2014 at 12:50
I like his prison albums.

Contender for joke of the year.

Not as funny as "I like his last two post-prison albums".
Troy Killjoy - 09.07.2014 at 17:40
Written by Mr. Doctor on 09.07.2014 at 17:27
Not as funny as "I like his last two post-prison albums".

Ya but nobody is going to say that.
Mr. Doctor - 09.07.2014 at 17:45
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.07.2014 at 17:40

Written by Mr. Doctor on 09.07.2014 at 17:27
Not as funny as "I like his last two post-prison albums".

Ya but nobody is going to say that.

Say that again.
Troy Killjoy - 09.07.2014 at 17:55
Written by Mr. Doctor on 09.07.2014 at 17:45
Say that again.

That's not a joke. That's just sad.
Ilham - 09.07.2014 at 18:02
Written by Mr. Doctor on 09.07.2014 at 17:45

Say that again.

Varg seems to be at the center of a stupidity vortex both politically and musically that seems to have a lot more attraction that it should.
DoomRules - 09.07.2014 at 18:12
Ohh , Vargi, Vargi , Vargi.
Maco - 09.07.2014 at 23:30
Poor bastard. lol
Evil Chip - 15.07.2014 at 22:41
I can't find any quotes in his blogs, but I remember him saying really separatist and racist things. Even in his Youtube channel you can find discussions where he is also involved about racism, where he mocks and argues with anti-racists.
Marcel Hubregtse - 16.07.2014 at 02:42
The things he said are punishable by law in France and he knew that. So it is his own frigging fuckig fault he got that sentence. So stop whining about so called freedom of speech here. Evry single country has got its own laws. FFS being an overt Christian will get you jailed in Saudi Arabia because it is against the law but then people don't whine. Varg is a moronic lowlife idiot with the brain capacity of a total moron (so around an iq of 80 or even lower) NO HE IS NOT SMART OR A GENIUS.
Vombatus - 16.07.2014 at 03:27
Written by deadone on 16.07.2014 at 02:54

France is meant to be a democracy and indeed one of the birthplaces of modern democracy. Saudi Arabia is a known nasty dictatorship.

Democracy includes freedom of speech. I don't agree with promoting violence (and indeed I don't know what Varg said) but it should allow for dissenting views even if they're politically incorrect. Indeed modern style democracy itself was "politically incorrect" (i.e. letting the "propetyless unwashed masses without a trace of noble blood or even women" have a say in the running of their lives poor state their opinion!

Good one pointing out the difference in comparing France with Saudi Arabia. But one could argue that censorship towards anti-democratic ideals is also a widespread practice in "democracies" (like "no tolerance towards intolerance"). I never thought democracy and the consequent so called "freedom of speech" means we can say whatever we want with no risk. All we say is under a certain jurisdiction as the punishment for racial-hatred, glorifying war crimes, etc... demonstrate (and everyone is aware of it, unless living in a cave). Guess there is room for interpretation, but I think that a lot of people delude themselves when thinking of the liberties offered by "western democratic societies".

News Varg Vikernes - French Trial Postponed 10.5 17.10.2013 by Mad Arab666
News Burzum - Varg Vikernes Allowed Day Passes 7.5 07.07.2008 by
News Varg Vikernes - A Free Man 7.5 23.05.2009 by Uirapuru
News Burzum - Varg Vikernes Releases Playthrough Videos 7.5 25.08.2014 by Boxcar Willy
News Burzum - Varg Vikernes Arrested In France 7.5 16.07.2013 by Mr. Doctor