Nightwish drummer Jukka Nevalainen will take a break from the recording of the new album and the upcoming tour due to his insomnia. Kai Hahto known from his work with Wintersun and Swallow The Sun will take care of the drums on the upcoming album.

Statement from Jukka and video: "How to begin telling something that you wouldn't want to have to tell, although you know that the decision you made is the only (at least the only right) one you could make at the moment? I face this dilemma now, and will do my best to find the right words.

"For a number of years, I have suffered from occasional but very difficult insomnia, something that has been my unwanted companion during many of our tours, too. I've done my best to try to control it or at least to cope with it. Still, we don't even really know why we need sleep, so unfortunately there's not much information available on why some of us suffer from sleeplessness. There is no 100% cure for the problem.

"During the last month, it has become evident for me that due to my insomnia, I can't fulfill my duties as a musician in the way that I'd want and with the precision that the music deserves. Thus I have decided to step aside from my duties as the drummer of Nightwish during the recording of the forthcoming album and the subsequent tour. I will still be involved in managing the day-to-day affairs of the band, but the dearest and the most important thing, playing, is, for the time being, not possible. Time will tell what the future holds.

"On a personal level, my decision obviously feels indescribably sad. Fortunately, looking at it with some distance, it is 'just' part of the constant, inevitable ebb and flow of life. The sad things are part of it as well as the beautiful, unforgettable experiences and adventures that I've already had the pleasure to experience in spades. Surely, there will still be many adventures ahead, too.

"My good friend Kai Hahto will play drums on the forthcoming album. I'm extremely grateful that he didn't hesitate for a minute when he decided to help us in this challenging situation. What comes to touring, everything is still open, but we will let you know as soon possible what the line-up will be. If beginning this was hard, so is ending it. So maybe I will just quote something fitting.

"You can only lose something that you have, but you cannot lose something that you are."― Eckhart Tolle

"Best regards, Jukka Nevalainen."

[Thanks to bokimaniac and /Marius for the news!]

Source: nightwish.com
Band profile: Nightwish

Posted: 06.08.2014 by FeskarN

Comments

The Shape 1973 - 06.08.2014 at 20:53
Kai can do the Nightwish album, full world tour and have a holiday and still be in time for the recording of Time II.
Pitwulf93 - 06.08.2014 at 21:43
Hope he gets better really soon. Not so he can get back in the band but because it just seems like a really shitty thing to have.
ScottyM - 06.08.2014 at 21:53
Written by Pitwulf93 on 06.08.2014 at 21:43

... it just seems like a really shitty thing to have.

Agreed, I can't imagine what that's gotta do to a man's brain, especially one that needs both arms and legs to be in coordination to use a drum set. To be able to concentrate and coordinate with no sleep, that man just earned some extra respect for being able to pull it off.

On the other hand, Kai is more than qualified to fill in. Looking forward to seeing what they come up with, with Kai in the hot-seat.
FeskarN - 06.08.2014 at 22:17
Written by The Shape 1973 on 06.08.2014 at 20:53

Well, Time II is already recorded, it's just need mastering and mixing still. But yeah Kai won't be busy with Wintersun for a long time. I'm sure he does a great job on this Nightwish album, fantastic drummer for sure.
Sword_Chant - 07.08.2014 at 00:13
Written by The Shape 1973 on 06.08.2014 at 20:53

That's assuming they release Time II during Kai's (and our) life span

On another note, the Nightwish drummer has done the right thing. Nothing worse than pushing yourself if you can't. Good luck to the guy, hope he's on the road to recovery very soon!
Azarath - 07.08.2014 at 00:33
Well, crap. Just when the future was looking bright for Nightwish, something like this happens.

But of course he's done the right thing. Hopefully he'll get better soon.
Machiavelli - 07.08.2014 at 09:34
I'm amazed Big Pharma hasn't come up with a really good sleep drug that doesn't make you have suicidal thoughts and is non-addictive. I guess it doesn't really matter if it is addictive or not to them but nothing really seems to work.
BrianStorm - 31.08.2014 at 16:10
Written by The Shape 1973 on 06.08.2014 at 20:53

What about Swallow The Sun?

News Kataklysm - Max Duhamel Forced To Take A Break 5.5 10.04.2013 by Opethian
News Anorexia Nervosa - Take A Break 4 23.11.2006 by
News Dark The Suns - Decide To Take A Break 4 18.06.2012 by Ag Fox
News Sodom - US Tour Cancelled Due To Visa Issues 4 21.05.2010 by TerminusEst88
News Nile - Cancel Indian Tour Dates Due To Visa Issues 4 23.04.2012 by Nosurper