American shoegaze black metallers Deafheaven have just released a brand new track called "From The Kettle Onto The Coil". You can listen and download it for free on Adult Swim. Alternatively, check the song out through the Soundcloud player below. Enjoy!

Their latest album Sunbather was released last year.

The original art provided by Jesse Draxler

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Deafheaven

Posted: 22.08.2014 by Pazdzioch

Comments

Ilham - 22.08.2014 at 22:01
Deafheaven are the incarnation of everything that is wrong with mainstream music, and they don't deserve to be called metal.

Jk. I liked the song and the cover. I wonder if that's just the cover for the single or the whole album.

Edit: it's just the cover for the single.
Troy Killjoy - 22.08.2014 at 22:06
This sounds much better when you don't have to watch them playing it.
Unhealer - 22.08.2014 at 22:06
Nice song, the artwork needs more pink I think this is a single only since there is no new album in the vicinity.
Karlabos - 22.08.2014 at 23:02
Written by Ilham on 22.08.2014 at 22:01

Meh. I was gonna make that reference
BlueMobius - 22.08.2014 at 23:21
Written by Karlabos on 22.08.2014 at 23:02

Written by Ilham on 22.08.2014 at 22:01

Meh. I was gonna make that reference

Is this an inside joke that I'm missing?
Troy Killjoy - 22.08.2014 at 23:24
Written by BlueMobius on 22.08.2014 at 23:21
Is this an inside joke that I'm missing?

Not an inside joke, but you are missing it.
BlueMobius - 22.08.2014 at 23:38
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.08.2014 at 23:24

Not an inside joke, but you are missing it.

I must be then, cause I have this feeling of having seen something like this said somewhere before.
Ilham - 22.08.2014 at 23:57
Written by BlueMobius on 22.08.2014 at 23:38

I like my jokes to stay true to the underground, but I'm nice, here's the thread/article that joke was a reference to.
BlueMobius - 23.08.2014 at 00:03
Written by Ilham on 22.08.2014 at 23:57

I like my jokes to stay true to the underground, but I'm nice,

Thanks for making an exception

BTW, this new Deafheaven is pretty decent.
shadowdragonfly1 - 23.08.2014 at 01:21
This is actually better thatn I expected.
And I don't get all the stupid comments about deafheaven not being "metal"; they DO look like hipsters, but if you listen to Roads to Judah and insist it isn't metal I don't know what's wrong with people.
What really angers me is that they get all the credit for the sound that Alcest, Mortifera, Lantlos, Lifelover, Fen, Agalloch and even Drudkh have been developing over the years ...
Ilham - 23.08.2014 at 01:29
Written by shadowdragonfly1 on 23.08.2014 at 01:21

Read all the comments before impatiently complaining and calling them stupid. I wouldn't want you to miss the joke and look like a fool next time.

Or are you talking about the article?
Electes - 23.08.2014 at 03:09
I'm still uncertain the kind of atmosphere this band strives for. It's neither melancholic or contemplative, nor is it too sorrowful or too happy. Quite the flat song here, following in the same vein as the vast majority of Deafheaven's other work. When I listen to songs like this it only makes me wish WITTR were still making black metal, to teach all these whipper-snapper bands how to either follow a trend the right way or make something actually original. Deafheaven and a slew of other bands in the opposite north corners of the US don't seem to have the ability to do either. For shame USBM

Oh well, back to Endlichkeit for me.
Apothecary - 23.08.2014 at 05:23
Oh look, some black metal for people who don't like black metal
Boxcar Willy - 23.08.2014 at 06:53
Written by Electes on 23.08.2014 at 03:09

Oh well, back to Endlichkeit for me.

Atmosphere like most things in music is completely subjective. You're not feeling any mood because you don't care enough to feel one. If you can't feel any coherent atmosphere in songs like "Violet" or "Dreamhouse" then maybe you should rethink how you listen to music. I also don't understand why you compare them to WITTR considering they aren't in the same group. It's like comparing Judas Priest to Slayer. I may be a huge Deafheaven fan but I'm also a realist. I'm also getting vibes that you're still offended by Sunbather having a pink cover and people calling it black metal. (Like Che ) (also take no offence to anything I'm saying, none is intended)

The solo in this song kicks ass. The pitchfork live shot they released earlier had awful vocals. George sounds like a troll. Glad to see they're a lot better here.
Electes - 23.08.2014 at 18:52
Written by Boxcar Willy on 23.08.2014 at 06:53

Written by Electes on 23.08.2014 at 03:09

Oh well, back to Endlichkeit for me.

You're not feeling any mood because you don't care enough to feel one...Atmosphere in music is completely subjective

Which one is it, friend? Can it simply be my opinion that Deafheaven's sound falls flat every time I listen to them, or do I have some sort of problem because your subjectivity is better than mine?

Quote:
I may be a huge Deafheaven fan

This tells me all I need to know

Also, I like Sunbather's cover, but seeing as music on an album is the most important part, I obviously don't like the album.
shadowdragonfly1 - 23.08.2014 at 21:06
Written by Ilham on 23.08.2014 at 01:29

Written by shadowdragonfly1 on 23.08.2014 at 01:21

Or are you talking about the article?

Definitely the article and also youtube and others 'zines. Apparently Deafheaven are a feast for the trolls
Ilham - 23.08.2014 at 23:17
Written by shadowdragonfly1 on 23.08.2014 at 21:06

Alright, I'm sorry then. We're on the same page.
Doge of Venice - 24.08.2014 at 00:31
Written by Boxcar Willy on 23.08.2014 at 06:53

Written by Electes on 23.08.2014 at 03:09

Oh well, back to Endlichkeit for me.

I have the opposite. I can feel lots of different atmospheres and moods in the song, but it doesn't really feel all that coherent, and they don't really flow particularly well. Still trying to figure it out, but it's sending me mixed feels.
deadone - 25.08.2014 at 04:44
Written by Apothecary on 23.08.2014 at 05:23

Oh look, some black metal for people who don't like black metal

Given I don't like Black Metal and I don't like this, seems to me like the Deafheaven guys have failed miserably - they're too kvlt black and Norwegian for my liking. Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir, now that's BM for people who don't like Black Metal.
Ilham - 25.08.2014 at 04:55
Written by deadone on 25.08.2014 at 04:44

I actually agree. I wouldn't have listened to Deafheaven - if they existed when I was getting into black metal - for five minutes before writing it off as too depressing and difficult to get into. Someone who doesn't like black metal and wants to get into it needs the least amount of emotion possible, with the maximum of mindless blast-beating and catchy riffs with good clean 21st century production. Well, I am describing myself at the time actually.
no one - 25.08.2014 at 09:35
I wonder if they would be as popular or as anylized by everyone if they had corpse paint on and grim album art work
Ilham - 25.08.2014 at 13:32
Written by no one on 25.08.2014 at 09:35

I don't think they would.
Troy Killjoy - 25.08.2014 at 21:04
Written by Ilham on 25.08.2014 at 13:32
I don't think they would.

To be fair, Akercocke never received this level of attention and they didn't look typical by black metal standards.

Also A Forest of Stars. And some others.

Deafheaven lucked out because they hit it big with the indie/hipster scene. Black metal in general seems to be getting more popular in that circle (at least here in Canada) but none have managed to break through the barrier quite like Deafheaven.
Ilham - 25.08.2014 at 21:15
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.08.2014 at 21:04

Also A Forest of Stars. And some others.

Akercocke are musically much less accessible than Deafheaven, in my opinion. I'm not sure if it's the best example to use. But I understand what you're talking about.
The fact they dropped the whole kvlt act must have played in their success in that scene. It's not the only reason, but I do think no one has a point, the hipster image they are proudly displaying must explain why they're talked about/hated so much.
no one - 25.08.2014 at 21:18
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.08.2014 at 21:04

Written by Ilham on 25.08.2014 at 13:32
I don't think they would.

Also A Forest of Stars. And some others.

this is true, though Deafheaven seem to go that extra length with there image to point out that they are hipsters against the traditional bm.

I remember the vocalist whatever his name was saying in an interview that the sunbather album cover wasn't trying to be anti black metal or anything he just thought it looked good...yeah sure
Vombatus - 25.08.2014 at 21:50
Whenever a band doesn't follow the "rules" of a genre, they will get attention for trying something different/out of the ordinary... which is logical. If a band uses that difference on purpose to get "free" attention is another question.

For Deafheaven, I think the amount of love/hate they get helps them a lot to reach out way farther than their musical aspect would make us believe. People that don't care for their music or dislike it will be giving them publicity by expressing their endless hatred towards a bunch of hipster playing BM. So in the end, the buzz around the band is mainly a product of non-musical factors, which still serves the interests of the band (kind of reminds me of Wintersun, in a way haha...).
I don't know if Deafheaven's hispter image is "against traditional BM" on purpose to get attention.... but there are thousands of bands playing BM without corps paint, bearing inverted crosses and blablabla... doesn't that make them as horrible as these guys ??

News Vanhelgd - New Song Streaming Online 7 03.04.2014 by Lord Grim