Hell yeah! If that is not a great victory for hard rock/metal, I don't know what is. No, you're not hallucinating, Finnish metal monsters Lordi won the formatted Eurovision contest (known for its sloppy poppish radio tunes) HANDS DOWN!

They were 44 points ahead Russia (the mullet singer) and gave a fresh new start to the oh-so-boring Eurovision stuff.

We wish to congratulate the winners from the depths of our hearts. LONG LIVE METAL

Source: deadsoulman in front of his tv
Band profile: Lordi
Event: Eurovision Song Contest

Posted: 21.05.2006 by Deadsoulman

Comments page 2 of 2

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: 1 [2]

Sunioj - 22.05.2006 at 06:54
Hey its Eurovision, I dont like Lordi but then again, Eurovision isnt going to allow a band like Catamenia, Impaled Nazarene, Sonata Artica or probably even COB to play, it just wouldnt suite...

Congrats to Finland
decapitator - 22.05.2006 at 10:48
i wasnt suprised one bit... all the other countries were singing the same crap.. they all had similar songs... the reason why lordi one... in my opinion was because they were so much different than the other countries...

way to go finland
IceWeasy - 22.05.2006 at 12:19
gratz Finland!
Ironhoof_ox - 22.05.2006 at 12:35
I agree. This could be a new age for heavy metal, it might sound weird but there is a possibility. It is an opportunity for some ****** to realise that heavy metal is a special kind of music and deserves a little more. Here in Greece we have the more fanatic metal audience in Southern Europe. That's why we gave a 12 and imagine that we don't have a heavy metal radio station! I hope after this event something will happen.
Congratulations Finland!:beer:
Mariusz - 22.05.2006 at 15:15
I am very glad that Lordi won Eurovision conttest. I was always with them and I was sure that the world will finaly hear about them. And now it's true. All the best to LORDI!!!
NortheRnmost - 22.05.2006 at 16:19
Hell Yeah! It was about time Finland had success in Eurovision... and when we did it, we did it good! The first time I didn't feel embarrassed while watching the contest. The show was simply the best. Thanks Lordi!!

And to those hardcore metallists... don't take Lordi too seriously. Yes, the music is very stereotypical 80's glam rock (in a good sense), but the band is also about havin' fun, and that's the most important thing in Lordi. A big victory for hard rock nonetheless.
Anni - 22.05.2006 at 17:10
I am very glad that Lordi won Eurovision conttest. Congrats to Finland!
AzAzel - 22.05.2006 at 18:52
All Hail !!! Finland !!! Land Of Metal !!! The prophecy has begun... lol
lusitanian - 22.05.2006 at 22:44
i don't like eurovison and i'am fucking of for mainstream music thats why i am surprised whem a friend of mine told me thar a metal band had won the eurovsion contest......i think that a metal band shoudn't apear in a contest like that...i havn't llisten a single song of lordi but i lost the will of listen lordi just becouse of that... there ar so many bands becoming comercial shit i am disapointed...mainstreamers usualy hate metal despite knowing nothing about metal...for sure whem they listen lordi what have they think? is this music? who listen this kind os shit? good metal bands are complitly underground...
Lenore - 23.05.2006 at 03:50
I actually saw almost the whole thing at a party this year. Normally I don't like Lordi very much but among those other songs it sounded like the best music ever.

Finland winning with Lordi is in any case better than the swedish contestant, a christian fundamentalist woman far more scary than any monster, winning. And it was fun hearing all the swedish Eurovision "experts" trying to explain it.
jizzlord - 23.05.2006 at 16:13
it was hilarious i was at my friends pub, and there was a punk thing going on, we watched all the regulars in the pub being shocked by lordi and looking out the window to be shocked again!
Achmeazorg - 23.05.2006 at 17:14
i can't believe this shit. obviously most of the votes were just beacuse of their appearance, and in my opninion they didn't even play very well. the participation was fun, yet they should not have won it. what we'll get now is either a lot of lordi-like bands in the media, or mainstreamers wearing monstersuits
skerfy - 24.05.2006 at 00:31
Lordi rock! I'm from Northern Ireland in the good ol' UK and i was so glad to hear Lordi won! Altho they cut out the best bit of that song from the album version lol and the solo at the end!! aaahh who cares, Lordi won...long live Metal!!
Cthulu Corpse - 24.05.2006 at 00:48
It was a good show but the original is better than live. Its a good song. Think this is great for all metal. Hope there will be more metalbands in the contest in the next ones to. I was very suprised that they won but i really enjoyed it Gratulations to Finland!
Mother_North - 24.05.2006 at 17:03
i was so surprised with lordi's victory and at the same time veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy happy hail to lordi hail to heavy music
Muskot - 26.05.2006 at 13:53
Written by Alkhemyst on 21.05.2006 at 19:29

He was Pasi Rantanen of Finnish power metal band Thunderstone as backing vocalist. That corpsepaint was probably more like Kiss mask. If you saw those papers members of Lordi were holding, there was written "Kiss Army Finland" to Pasi´s paper.

Yes, one of my friends grilled me about that later... Sorry, my mistake. =)
NortheRnmost - 26.05.2006 at 16:29
Achmeazorg, if you mean by "play" as really playing the instruments, no. In Eurovisions the music comes playback and only singing is "live". They don't have time to hook all the instruments and do sound check in those 30 seconds between performances. The music sounded everytime identical, except for vocals of course. When you go to real live gig you can except even a little variation and improvisation.
DLMokoma - 29.05.2006 at 22:27
Hard Rock Hallelujah is a bit boring song if you ask me and the singing could have done alot better. But still I'm glad that they won, because 99% of Eurovision songs have been pure crap so far. Okay, and maybe because I'm from Finland too.
ilicit - 24.08.2006 at 21:48
I'm not from Finland but for the first time in my life, i trully like to watch a European music contest! Portugal sends some hores that shake their asses but really bad music :\ So this year I really voted for Lordi! I didnt knew the band but their music is from far the best one from the European contest this year so congrats and keep bringing metal to those contests!

Pages: 1 [2]

News Lordi: Reach Finals Of The Eurovision Song Contest 7.5 19.05.2006 by Götter
Albums Lordi - The Arockalypse 4.5 06.01.2012 by Wraith000
News Keep Of Kalessin - Competing To Represent Norway In Eurovision Song Contest 4 04.12.2009 by Bas
News Teräsbetoni - To Perform At Eurovision Song Contest 4 03.03.2008 by Akke920
News Apocalyptica - Play Show At Eurovision Song Contest Final 4 27.04.2007 by Lupas