According to a report from Realtid.se Candlemass guitarist Mats Björkman will spend two years in a Swedish prison, convicted of grand theft following an investigation that revealed that he and an accomplice stole CDs with a retail value of SEK 3 million (approximately $490,000) from the Entertainment Network Scandinavia AB warehouse, where the pair worked.

The full report can be found here (in Swedish). An English translation of the story can be found at this location.

UPDATED on 24 March:

Candlemass have issued the following statement: "Candlemass' answer to the crap that's been published lately is very simple: NOTHING HAS CHANGED!! The band will record the planned EP, "Lucifer Rising", in April WITH MAPPE... Candlemass will also tour the States WITH MAPPE in May and June and also record the follow up to "King Of The Grey Islands" this coming autumn WITH MAPPE!! Despite what's been said in the press the band is very optimistic about the future. 2008 and 2009 will be two great years for Candlemass. Don't believe everything you read!!"

Source: bravewords.com
Band profile: Candlemass

Posted: 21.03.2008 by Thryce

Comments

White Winter Sun - 21.03.2008 at 17:26
I believed that it was the albums sales that brought back to the artists, not the theft.
Born-2rise - 21.03.2008 at 17:28
They worked in Entertainment Network?!
I thought they made enough money with the band and stuff.
Anw the guitarist wasnt too bad, it reelly is a shame that dumbass went to jail. It reelly is hilarious though, and its the first time i hear o a celebrity going to jail without being saved by all his money!LOL:P:necro:
Lucas - 21.03.2008 at 17:30
Damn. That's quite a long time.
Warman - 21.03.2008 at 17:47
Hahaha!
Bad English - 21.03.2008 at 18:16
only think what I had palnned stall are booze shop and CD store but seems thay send in jail for all ctimes

Buyt I belive he is inocente its sabotage
Stalker - 21.03.2008 at 18:38
Damn... This is what I call weird stuff...
BitterCOld - 21.03.2008 at 18:40
Written by Lucas on 21.03.2008 at 17:30

Damn. That's quite a long time.

Damn. That's quite a lot of CD's... Like 30,500 or so.
Lucas - 21.03.2008 at 18:44
Written by BitterCOld on 21.03.2008 at 18:40

Written by Lucas on 21.03.2008 at 17:30

Damn. That's quite a long time.

Damn. That's quite a lot of CD's... Like 30,500 or so.

Yes, of course it is. Keep in mind I didn't say it was 'too' long.

2 years.. compared to 30,500 cd's.. If I could keep the cd's, I'd call it a deal.
Bad English - 21.03.2008 at 18:44
Written by BitterCOld on 21.03.2008 at 18:40

Written by Lucas on 21.03.2008 at 17:30

Damn. That's quite a long time.

Damn. That's quite a lot of CD's... Like 30,500 or so.

I be happy whit half of it, where he keep it those CD even Marcel dont owns so much
BitterCOld - 21.03.2008 at 18:48
Written by Lucas on 21.03.2008 at 18:44

Written by BitterCOld on 21.03.2008 at 18:40

Written by Lucas on 21.03.2008 at 17:30

Damn. That's quite a long time.

Damn. That's quite a lot of CD's... Like 30,500 or so.

Yes, of course it is. Keep in mind I didn't say it was 'too' long.

for sake of imagination, if they were all different cd's (i.e. not 10,000 copies of the Black Album), and assuming an average length of 45 minutes, that's more music than he could listen to during his incarceration... 950 or so days worth of tunes.
Lucas - 21.03.2008 at 18:50
Written by BitterCOld on 21.03.2008 at 18:48

Written by Lucas on 21.03.2008 at 18:44

Written by BitterCOld on 21.03.2008 at 18:40

Written by Lucas on 21.03.2008 at 17:30

Damn. That's quite a long time.

Damn. That's quite a lot of CD's... Like 30,500 or so.

Yes, of course it is. Keep in mind I didn't say it was 'too' long.

Exactly my point. Though, imaging 10,000 copies of the Black Album, I need a bucket.
Bad English - 21.03.2008 at 19:23
Damn how much it weight I douvt I can handel alobe more how 400 CD
Piro - 21.03.2008 at 19:38
I heard about this earlier in the morning, and I was shocked, I didn't really expect for someone in Candlemass to be involved in a scheme like this. Still, all those CDs, were they metal CDs or just stuff that was randomly chosen to be sold?
Talvi - 21.03.2008 at 21:55
Guess it was pop albums so they can burn them and eradicate false music!

Written by Born-2rise on 21.03.2008 at 17:28

They worked in Entertainment Network?!
I thought they made enough money with the band and stuff.

I don't think Candlemass is a so important band so that any of them could be called a celebrity...
Born-2rise - 21.03.2008 at 22:21
Written by Talvi on 21.03.2008 at 21:55

Guess it was pop albums so they can burn them and eradicate false music!

Written by Born-2rise on 21.03.2008 at 17:28

They worked in Entertainment Network?!
I thought they made enough money with the band and stuff.

well yeh but wudnt the money they get for all the concerts n stuff be enough to make a living, i didnt find it so essential for any of them to be working some minor job like that.Shows that even people in bands are all like us tho
Talvi - 21.03.2008 at 22:39
Written by Born-2rise on 21.03.2008 at 22:21

Written by Talvi on 21.03.2008 at 21:55

Guess it was pop albums so they can burn them and eradicate false music!

Written by Born-2rise on 21.03.2008 at 17:28

They worked in Entertainment Network?!
I thought they made enough money with the band and stuff.

Because they ARE like us. It takes quite a lot for a band to sell enough so they can live ONLY with their music. And Candlemass isn't one of the best known bands out there. Also, if they have the time, they may still want to work to get more money.
Syk - 22.03.2008 at 02:18
Written by Born-2rise on 21.03.2008 at 22:21
Yeah, you need to drop your way of thinking from 24 hours ago. Looking at all the bands on this site, I would hazard a guess that only about the 20 or 30 most popular acts can rely on their band's musical earnings as their main (or even sole) source of income.

I hope for everyone's sake that he actually did do it, and that he and the other guy and the guy from Obituary learn something from their incarceration.
Doc Godin - 22.03.2008 at 03:53
Jeez. Why wouldn't they just download like everyone else and steal from the comfort of your own home?
LeChron James - 22.03.2008 at 07:30
goddamn thats nuts. how the shit do you get out of a store with 490,000 US dollars worth of merchandise?
Syk - 22.03.2008 at 08:00
Written by LeChron James on 22.03.2008 at 07:30
According to the report, by being a "Man of Shadows" and taking your time
Born-2rise - 22.03.2008 at 14:31
Written by Syk on 22.03.2008 at 02:18

Written by Born-2rise on 21.03.2008 at 22:21

wow thx, i dnt know that
selken - 23.03.2008 at 18:33
0wn3d!!!
if you play with fire, guess that.... you'll get burned!
Judas - 24.03.2008 at 13:28
Written by Doc Godin on 22.03.2008 at 03:53

Hear, hear.

Seriously, what a stupid thing to do. It's hilarious, but I hope this doesn't have too many disastrous implications for the band's touring and/or songwriting.
Ether - 24.03.2008 at 15:14
well, with the way that they overprice albums, and considering the people they worked for bought in mass regular wholesale, they probably only stole a tenth of the value - $49,000 - but a mere fraction of a record label exec's salary.

surely that's nothing compared, two weeks of community service and a slap on the wrist would do?

Doc Godin - 24.03.2008 at 21:03
Written by Judas on 24.03.2008 at 13:28

Written by Doc Godin on 22.03.2008 at 03:53

Hear, hear.

I imagine they were just planning on selling them, I dont know what I'd do with that many albums on my own, especially all at once.
Thryce - 24.03.2008 at 23:03
Candlemass have issued the following statement: "Candlemass' answer to the crap that's been published lately is very simple: NOTHING HAS CHANGED!! The band will record the planned EP, "Lucifer Rising", in April WITH MAPPE... Candlemass will also tour the States WITH MAPPE in May and June and also record the follow up to King Of The Grey Islands this coming autumn WITH MAPPE!! Despite what's been said in the press the band is very optimistic about the future. 2008 and 2009 will be two great years for Candlemass. Don't believe everything you read!!"
Metalbound7 - 16.11.2008 at 15:39
Written by Lucas on 21.03.2008 at 18:44

Written by BitterCOld on 21.03.2008 at 18:40

Written by Lucas on 21.03.2008 at 17:30

Damn. That's quite a long time.

Damn. That's quite a lot of CD's... Like 30,500 or so.

Yes, of course it is. Keep in mind I didn't say it was 'too' long.

it depends, if you can listen to Metal in jail call it a deal. if not... I can't resist more than 2 days without Metal, now 2 years...
Ph0eNiX - 02.05.2009 at 06:05
Personally, I think this is a plot by space faring cyborg hooker squid impersonating him and then causing widespread havok through the timeline by trying to fuck up Candlemass. In turn chanign the future for it was foretold in prophecy a Candlemass tour in the year 2011 will prevent invasion from the stars. Call it a theory, but I think this is truly the case. Hell it's gotta be!
Ph0eNiX - 02.05.2009 at 06:07
On the other hand I sincerely hope he atleast stole albums that were worth it!

News Candlemass - Confirmed For ProgPower Scandinavia 6 11.04.2009 by GT
News Edenbridge - Looking For Guitarist Again 4 01.10.2007 by annodomini
News Chimaira - Replacement For Guitarist On Euro Tour 4 30.09.2009 by Black Conundrum
News For Today - Guitarist Leaves Following Controversial Comments 4 12.01.2013 by MauricioVeiga
News Morbid Angel - Former Guitarist Erik Rutan To Rejoin Band For European Tour 4 27.06.2006 by ThunderAxe1989