After 11 years, Stefan Elmgren decided to leave HammerFall. Stefan's message for fans upon leaving the band:

"I have decided to leave Hammerfall, the reason is that I have been offered a job as a pilot within an airline. My interest in aviation has been growing very strong, and now I feel its time for me to take a step and be a pilot on a professional level. We have been discussing the possibility of combining the work with HF and both me and the rest of the band realized that it would be very hard indeed.

It has been a great journey with lots of great memories that I will carry with me for the rest of my life, I would like to give a big thanks to all the wonderful fans, its has truly been a pleasure to meet and perform for you all during these 11 years.

I still love to play the guitar so you might hear from me again someday somehow. I would like to wish who ever is taking my place and the rest of the band good luck in the future.

Take care everybody!! Stefan Elmgren"

No replacement has been announced yet.

Two video reports by the leaving guitarist talking about his new job and departure are posted at this location.

Source: blog.myspace.com
Band profile: HammerFall

Posted: 02.04.2008 by Telcontar

Comments

Talvi - 02.04.2008 at 21:18
Stratovarius disbands and Hammerfall loses a guitarrist. True power metal will prevail once again!
BlueMobius - 02.04.2008 at 21:18
This seems to be a day for bad news. Oh well, perhaps we can have Stefan be our pilot
juanopereira - 02.04.2008 at 21:23
I'ts sad but at least it was in good therms XD. This is not a good day for power metal. Stratovarius has died and Stefan leaves hammerfall, wich is in my top 5 bands. Very sad but understandable.
Bad English - 02.04.2008 at 21:28
Damn sad news even its one if rearest PM bands what I like
I hope he be pilot whan I will flight Stockholm Lulea or beck
Stalker - 02.04.2008 at 21:36
hahah, old news, I was 2nd to submit them
Abattoir - 02.04.2008 at 21:44
Good luck in air
Well, at most important is, that Dronjak is still the lead guitarist
Spyroid - 02.04.2008 at 22:39
Hammerfall is so comercial it makes me sick, I can understand why such a talented musician as Magnus left a while ago. Can't understand what Anders is still doing there - or well, of course it's for the money.
I respect Oscar and the music is not bad, but just yesterday I read about Cans participating in somekind of lame tv-show in Swedish tv... sigh
ScabbeD'~ - 02.04.2008 at 23:21
Written by Talvi on 02.04.2008 at 21:18

Exactly...
+{Jonas}+ - 03.04.2008 at 00:10
I've never been too much into HammerFall. But I can't deny that HF is one of the most important badns in Power Metal, and it's sad that after so much time teh guitarrist quits. It is indeed a grey day for Power Metal
Vinnie R. - 03.04.2008 at 00:39
Written by BlueMobius on 02.04.2008 at 21:18

That's good too, just imagine how amazing would be listening Stefan saying "Please de calmed during the journey" m/
kaos666 - 03.04.2008 at 01:20
With Bruce Dickinson and now Stefen being piolts, the possibility of having an All-Metal airline is increasing!!
Stratowarrior - 03.04.2008 at 03:49
shit shit stefan, stratovarius, the worst day for me in years
LeChron James - 03.04.2008 at 05:17
that sucks. but i guess if you get offered a dream job, you gotsta take it.
Talvi - 03.04.2008 at 06:52
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 03.04.2008 at 00:10

I've never been too much into HammerFall. But I can't deny that HF is one of the most important badns in Power Metal, and it's sad that after so much time teh guitarrist quits. It is indeed a grey day for GayMetal

Fixed

Seriously, Stratovarius and Hammerfall are two of the most overrated and average power metal bands. Ever. Get back listening some Helloween and see how we've degraded ourselves.
Born-2rise - 03.04.2008 at 15:14
Written by LeChron James on 03.04.2008 at 05:17

that sucks. but i guess if you get offered a dream job, you gotsta take it.

aaah man! how can being a pilot be more fulfilling than being in 1 of the gr8est bands ever!?whats better than being in a world wide famous band?:D
anyway, any1 think the sound will change?or the personality of the band altogether?
Warman - 03.04.2008 at 15:28
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 03.04.2008 at 00:10

I kinda agree with you, although I truly despise Hammerfall!
+{Jonas}+ - 03.04.2008 at 15:36
Written by Warman on 03.04.2008 at 15:28

Written by +{Jonas}+ on 03.04.2008 at 00:10

I kinda agree with you, although I truly despise Hammerfall!

Why?
Warman - 03.04.2008 at 15:41
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 03.04.2008 at 15:36

Written by Warman on 03.04.2008 at 15:28

Written by +{Jonas}+ on 03.04.2008 at 00:10

I kinda agree with you, although I truly despise Hammerfall!

Why?

First I disliked them because of their gay music (although I remember I was like 6-9 years old when the single Renegade came and I headbanged too it ) but like a year ago I saw them on Lattjo-Lajban! A Swedish TV show for kids under the age of 6! Then Förkväll, a show for middle aged ladies! I don't care much about commercialism, but Hammerfall went way over the edge here in Sweden!
+{Jonas}+ - 03.04.2008 at 16:07
Written by Warman on 03.04.2008 at 15:41

Written by +{Jonas}+ on 03.04.2008 at 15:36

Written by Warman on 03.04.2008 at 15:28

Written by +{Jonas}+ on 03.04.2008 at 00:10

I kinda agree with you, although I truly despise Hammerfall!

Why?

Well... that's shocking about those TV shows...
I personally don't like them because I find nothing outstanding in them, only a couple songs... Not to mention their crappy videos
I still don't get hjow they became one of teh most known Power Metal bands...
iaberis - 03.04.2008 at 16:34
another sad news coming...
BestMetalstormer - 03.04.2008 at 18:02
What more sad news, first Stratovarious, now HammerFall. At least HammerFall still goes alive. I will really miss that guitarist, he was in charge of solos riff for the band. He had studied in US about music(if Im correct), but now still choose to be another job as pilot, how sad...
LeChron James - 04.04.2008 at 00:51
Written by Born-2rise on 03.04.2008 at 15:14

Written by LeChron James on 03.04.2008 at 05:17

that sucks. but i guess if you get offered a dream job, you gotsta take it.

mmm i'd rather travel the world flying an airplane/taking pictures of wherever i go with my camera than play in hammerfall. but thats just me. hammerfall is OK, definitely influential but not one of the greatest bands ever, power metal or not.
ApocalypticaMax3 - 04.04.2008 at 01:59
Ohhh well....That's sad! I don't care how over-rated and commercial they might have got, they're the first metal band I listened to and that's what only counts for me...There's better, there's worst, but there's no other Hammerfall
Metal Maiden - 04.04.2008 at 03:05
WHAT!!!First I lose an auction on ebay and now this!!!What a despicable day...The next thing we'll see is probably Joacim rejoining the swedish national swimming team, Oscar giving up the guitars in order to pursue his childhood dream of becoming a Formula 1 pilot, Anders finding his true self in writing detective stories, Fredrik going back to doing nothing of interest, and me loosing ANOTHER FUCKING AUCTION...A KVLT FUCK is what I think of this...

Oh, and btw, I love Hammerfall...and totally DESPISE that russian motherfucker who outbid my 20 bucks with a 50!!!

P.S. Guess what...I JUST GOT OUTBID AGAIN...FUCK YOU NAZI BASTARDS...
Infidel - 04.04.2008 at 20:10
never mind !!...better than "vocalist leaves the band" !!...a lot of great guitarist is in the world !!
okt31 - 04.04.2008 at 23:52
Hammerfall is heavy metal. Where do you hear double-bass drumming, typically happy melodies and so on and on? Hammerfall is about riding the cliches of heavy metal (I love old-schhol heavy metal more than any other metal subgenre, so don't get me started) but HF are good to unspectacular. Nowhere near great.
Still it's a pity that Elmgren quits, because he was a great soloist (I know they did a Malmsteen cover and he was the only soloist in the band)

Stratovarius' demise sucks, though, but it was a matter of time anyway
ThunderAxe1989 - 05.04.2008 at 05:49
THIS IS AN ULTIMATE TRAGEDY! Stefan was the man who saved the "Chapter V..." album!!!! He's the best guitarist they've had, I can't believe what i've read...... I mean if it's his destiny and his dreams then so be it......but wow, HammerFall will never be the same.
Born-2rise - 05.04.2008 at 09:00
Written by LeChron James on 04.04.2008 at 00:51

Written by Born-2rise on 03.04.2008 at 15:14

Written by LeChron James on 03.04.2008 at 05:17

that sucks. but i guess if you get offered a dream job, you gotsta take it.

Quote:

well sure not the 1 of the gr8est ever it was just a figure of speach, but when it comes to power metal they gotta be in the top 20 at least. And every1 has his choices and im not against u just because ud rather c the world thru your eyes, its all good, but i was just saying wat wud be nicer for me.bye.
LeChron James - 05.04.2008 at 11:07
Quote:

understood. and i agree they probably are top 20 in terms of all time power metal bands and on that list i dont know where theyd fall. but hey, at least i wasnt a dick and said "HEY YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOURE TALKING ABOUT/YOU DONT BELONG HERE LOL" right? hahah. werd.
ANGEL REAPER - 17.04.2008 at 08:41
Have anyone else think that this sentence is pure bulshit,or I just overdosed last night?
worm_is_gloaming - 24.11.2008 at 11:32
Written by Metal Maiden on 04.04.2008 at 03:05

P.S. Guess what...I JUST GOT OUTBID AGAIN...FUCK YOU NAZI BASTARDS...

What were you bidding on?

I hate those kinds of bid wars, but nothing hurts more than being outbid on Mayhem's first press Deathcrush LP from Posercorpse (handmarked by Euronymous as #8/1000) in the last SECOND by a mere HANDFUL of dollars, and it only went a little over a hundred. Never in a lifetime will a copy of this have such a low ending bid, never again. Haha.

News Sonic Syndicate - Guitarist Roger Sjunnesson Leaves The Band 7 13.06.2012 by Opethian
News Monster Magnet - Guitarist Leaves The Band 7 05.11.2010 by Fat & Sassy!
News Benighted - Guitarist Leaves The Band, Announce Replacement 7 26.06.2012 by Troy Killjoy
News Anthrax - Guitarist Rob Caggiano Leaves The Band 7 05.01.2013 by SlaytanicGonzo
News Ancient Bards - Guitarist Leaves The Band 7 10.01.2014 by Kamil