During the August 2nd Press Conference on Wacken Open Air 2008, it was announced that the festival will have its first date outside Germany.

On 2009, when Wacken goes to its 20th Anniversary, the first Brazilian edition of the festival will go live, by a partnership between Wacken, Atos Entretenimento and Roadie Crew magazine, both Brazilian companies.

The festival will have the name of WACKEN ROCKS BRAZIL, and São Paulo (SP) will host it on May 16th and 17th 2009.

Thomas Jensen, one of the owners of "Wacken", commented during the press conference about the Brazilian edition: "There are talks happening to bring Wacken spirit to different places in the world, like Australia, but the first festival with the name 'Wacken" outside Gernamy will take place in Brazil on May 2009, and will be know as "Wacken Rocks Brazil". We have here our Brazilian partners, and we have just signed the contract between ICS-WOA, ATOS and Revista Roadie Crew", answering an australian reporter question.

Before that, Dennis Schunke from Van Canto just confirmed the information, and added that Van Canto is the first band confirmed to the event.

More information (in portuguese) can be found here and here.

Source: revistamusica.net
Event: Wacken Rocks Brazil [POSTPONED]

Posted: 07.08.2008 by Zeh

Comments

Bad English - 07.08.2008 at 14:51
What a news, Wacken are SO OVERATED how Brazil(not football contest), because Argentian deserves such giges more, and not only in Buenos Aires
Elio - 07.08.2008 at 15:55
good news for brazilians metalstormers
Promonex - 07.08.2008 at 15:55
I've heard rumors about this before. I guess this means no more Brazilian chicas in the original Wacken
Ulv - 07.08.2008 at 19:08
i guees im going to fly all the way to brazil =)
Cah - 07.08.2008 at 20:35
Not yet we know which bands will come...;)
But I hope that it's follows the same quality or better that the events in Germany.
Black Conundrum - 07.08.2008 at 21:51
Van Canto's there. Nice.
Nickferatu367 - 08.08.2008 at 00:53
and again, brazil gets another bad ass festival. i propose a Wacken America. because ozzfest sucks.
Marcus - 08.08.2008 at 03:25
I second that, America is in dire need of good metal fests
4look4rd - 08.08.2008 at 03:33
FINALLY! the year Ill be going back to brazil I get to experience Wacken, how great is that?

I truly think Brazil deserves being the first country (other than Germany) to host Wacken, and they couldnt have picked a better city for it!

Im really looking forward for this event!
rebelhead - 08.08.2008 at 07:19
It sounds great

I already can't wait anymore

Brazil is lacking in festivals like that
My prayers were answered
Thanks

Baz Anderson - 08.08.2008 at 12:54
Well this might have the Wacken name on it, but you are all writing as if they are going to airlift the German site over to Brazil and it will be exactly the same as the German one.
It would be interesting to see how this Brazilian one goes, but I think it will be a lot different to the ones in Germany.
Zeh - 08.08.2008 at 19:04
My concerns are about the festival location. There are not cooler places as Wacken to support it. My best guess is Interlagos, which holds the F1 Grand Prix in Brazil.

Or maybe they push it to the countryside. It would be cooler.
Sleep In Sorrow - 11.08.2008 at 15:29
Wow, this is awesome! Better start getting my wallet ready for May 2009, then!
Baz Anderson - 13.08.2008 at 13:17
Written by Juliana on 13.08.2008 at 04:07

I'm sure about that, but I think good bands could change this fact.
Lets wait.

It's nothing to do with the bands, it is to do with the festival atmosphere in Germany and the (mostly European) people that go there. Over in Brazil the atmosphere will be different because all the people going will be different, I am not saying it will be better or worse - just different.
Warman - 13.08.2008 at 19:26
Lucky bastards!
Rusher - 24.08.2008 at 23:22
Woooohooooooo... I can't believe this!
I will be there, for sure!!!

This news just made my day...
Southern Wind - 25.08.2008 at 00:15
Written by Bad English on 07.08.2008 at 14:51

Brazil is an IMMENSELY more "metalized" country than Argentina... actually, you would be surprised to see that most european bands skip Argentina in their south american tours, while they play in many brazilian cities and also in countries like Chile and Colombia. I don't really explain why, but Argentinians simply don't like metal a lot... they're the best in south america when it comes to blues, hard or progressive rock, but metal... no.
O Sinistron - 28.09.2008 at 02:30
Does Any one knows exactly when it will be released?
I've read May 16th and 17th here.
May 17th and 18th in the events section, wich is unprobable, beacause May 18th is a monday!
And in wacken.com there is an banner showing it as May 09th and 10th!
And there's no official page about this... Showing the possible bands, the maps to get there, near hostels and stuff like that!
EdTrooper - 27.01.2009 at 00:17
We brazilians are suffering with the lack of information as well. Being this close to the festival, it is ridiculous that they won't tell us the bands that are gonna play. Honestly, I think they are not being able to actually get bands to play in the festival. Kinda like Wayne's World =P

I say this because we already have Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Kiss, Heaven and Hell and even Deep Purple confirmed to perform down here this year, none of them even close to the Festival's dates, so I guess this is going to be kind of a shameful festival to Wacken's History.

Anyways.. the ONLY band that actually confirmed their presence in the festival is Van Canto.. something tells me that they might have Manowar (just a blank guess).. but I dont believe it's gonna be more than that..

News Wacken Rocks Brazil - Festival Postponed 6 06.02.2009 by -DC-002-
News Wacken Rocks - Festivals Postponed 4.5 06.05.2009 by LeChron James
Events BRA, São Paulo - Wacken Rocks Brazil 4.5 07.10.2008 by O Sinistron
Articles Wacken Open Air - Wacken, Germany, 1st August 2009 3 26.08.2009 by Valentin B
Articles Wacken Open Air - Wacken, Germany, 31st July 2009 3 26.08.2009 by Valentin B