Kristian 'Gaahl' Espedal, frontman of Norwegian Black Metallers Gorgoroth, has publicly stated his homosexuality, according to Blabbermouth sources.

33 year old Gaahl spoke openly in an interview with Götz Kühnemund of Rock Hard magazine about his sexual orientation, also adding "I feel how I feel and I've never made any secret about it", and "I've never really hidden anything to begin with. It's just that I was never in love before" ... "until last year".

Gaahl also mentions a stable line-up for his version of Gorgoroth, confirming that Frost (Satyricon, 1349) will perform on the next album.

Source: roadrunnerrecords.com
Band profile: Gorgoroth

Posted: 29.10.2008 by Richard

Comments page 3 of 3

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: 1 2 [3]

Sanvean - 31.10.2008 at 16:41
And what's the problem?
THE_BLACK_GOD - 31.10.2008 at 16:46
He is a gay ? thats his job, its not an unormal thing for him!
a MasT - 31.10.2008 at 16:52
Written by Hrothdane on 31.10.2008 at 05:19

Written by a MasT on 31.10.2008 at 04:36

Written by Valaskjalf on 31.10.2008 at 00:29

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.10.2008 at 21:48

Written by W-Lash on 30.10.2008 at 21:45

Calm down dude, let them talk. Censorship is bad....
In fact, nobody can let them like gays. And if they don't - why should say nice words about them?

So what if they're was a type of music who openly insulted homosexuals? If the forum had a lot of fans of that genre we'd be free to say what we want about gays?

SIgh... this has to do with common decency. And intolerance towards homosexuals has nothing to do with the so-called freedom of speech and all about hate spreading etc etc And when you read the MS rules you will notice we do not tolerate such shit, same applies for propgating neonazi ramblings.

Strange, because theres apparently nothing wrong with bashing Christianity in this forum is there? If the shoe fits I suppose....

Fuckin here here, its a ridiculous double standard and if religion isn't off limits neither are faggots

If it bothers you so much, go make your own website. As Marcel was saying, this is a matter of propriety and respect and the rules do not allow for it. As for Christianity bashing, I think it would be ridiculous and illogical to not have some allowance for Christianity bashing on a forum with so many black metallers. You might as well ban anyone who listens to black metal then. I'm not saying that people should bash Christianity, but that is kind of a necessary evil to endure if you plan on including the black metal community.

So what if there was a genre of music that openly insulted homosexuals? If there were enough fans on the forum of that genre, could we say what we want about gays? Double Standard
Stuart - 31.10.2008 at 17:05
Written by a MasT on 31.10.2008 at 16:52

There is a genre of metal that openly insults homosexuals, its called black metal.
Introspekrieg - 31.10.2008 at 17:46
Damn, Stuart put everyone in their place...
cleared things up very well. And now we see the paradox of Gaahl's existence in the black metal scene, kind of like Christians playing black metal.
I wonder if we are going to have to add "Symphonic" to his version's musical style...
Judas - 31.10.2008 at 17:57
I pity the guy with whom Gaahl has found love. And I thought the stereotype was that homosexuals were better with things like makeup?

Seriously though, good on him for not hiding it. It takes guts to do something like that, and even more when you're part of a milieu with an ideology like that of Black Metal.
Framhel™ - 02.11.2008 at 14:32
Written by TheBigRossowski on 30.10.2008 at 14:28

Written by Framhel™ on 30.10.2008 at 13:21

Hmmmm that's sooo shocking hahaha beneath ghaal's dark exterior and weirdness and violent nature, he loves men? He likes men now??? ouch! for gorgoroth fans! LOLOLOLOLOLOL OLEOLEOLEOLE

Its really not that big of a deal. Its reasonable that some people would have these thoughts, but maybe you should do some criminal research. There are a lot of violent, sick, twisted people out there that had other sexual preferences. Ever heard of John Wayne Gacy my friend?

ah yeah i did back then i think that was kind of "tendencies" hehehe no offense i don't have any dislikes with gay people. some violent people are gay even through history there are a bunch of them. some during post war dudes violent, tortures, and beats the hell out of people but also had the taste for men even elmer fudd was gay!;D well, that's it!
Thryce - 02.11.2008 at 18:59
Gaahl's ex-boyfriend claims to have received death threats from the Black Metal Community, read all about it here.
DoomGuard - 02.11.2008 at 23:30
Wow...that's pretty gay
Marcel Hubregtse - 03.11.2008 at 00:00
@stuart I don't mind people making fun/mocking Gaahl but what I was talking about was a certain MS user using hate speech etc.
Lucas - 04.11.2008 at 15:32
We don't allow Christianity-bashing either. Ok, it is a bit more 'normal' in this style of music, but we don't still just accept it.
Stuart - 04.11.2008 at 20:53
Written by Lucas on 04.11.2008 at 15:32

ahh ok, i found the last two posts slightly contradicting... but maybe its just me... nevermind though, i don't want to piss off any staff
Lucas - 04.11.2008 at 23:08
Written by Stuart on 04.11.2008 at 20:53

Written by Lucas on 04.11.2008 at 15:32

I don't see the contradiction. Believe it or not, the Staff does consist of normal people and yes we are capable of a discussion without banning the disagreeing party.
Stuart - 04.11.2008 at 23:41
Written by Lucas on 04.11.2008 at 23:08

Written by Stuart on 04.11.2008 at 20:53

Written by Lucas on 04.11.2008 at 15:32

Haha, the problem with the internet is sarcasm doesn't always come across, i had no fear of banning... No i just meant that: the point i was making in my previous post was the fact that it wasn't so much what you're putting down/bashing but rather how you did it in order to allow free flowing accurate opinions in conversation. Marcel pointed out that this was not a problem but what he was alluding to was "hate speech" of particular post/ms user, you then stated that christianity bashing was also not accepted, which I found contradictory to the prior comment. I just find that saying "christianity bashing" is not allowed is an incredibly narrow outlook on a topic however, your idea of what bashing means and mine, might be different...
NeverAgain - 07.11.2008 at 21:27
I like the way people have conviniently ignored Introspekriegs comment about how comparing Christianity to sexuality is wrong, as one is a choice and the other is something you are born with.

Some of the comments in this thread are disgusting. Comments like: "I hate gays", or "I don't mind gays as long as they dont bother me". Some people need to grow up and/or come out of the fucking closet.
Black Conundrum - 15.11.2008 at 01:27
How the heck did this get as many comments as it did?
Metalbound7 - 16.11.2008 at 07:58
OMFG.... what really surprise me its not his homosexuality, is the fact that he said that he is In Love... Gaahl in LOVE, and with a guy WTF?
Slayer666 - 09.01.2009 at 13:01
Written by Metalbound7 on 16.11.2008 at 07:58

I don't think he is gay. It's just another trick for Gorgoroth to gain publicity. The holy rule is "There is no bad publicity".
Bad English - 09.01.2009 at 22:55
Written by Slayer666 on 09.01.2009 at 13:01

Written by Metalbound7 on 16.11.2008 at 07:58

Since he live in small Norvegian vialiage, I saw doc where som UK reporter interwiews him, he lives alone in mountain villiage and go werry werry werry rear outside and there was soem other guy in house so ...
Slayer666 - 10.01.2009 at 00:24
Written by Bad English on 09.01.2009 at 22:55

Written by Slayer666 on 09.01.2009 at 13:01

Written by Metalbound7 on 16.11.2008 at 07:58

Awww, shit! OK, maybe that guy is in on the scam too, or he was there by some other bussines?
tulkas - 02.02.2009 at 00:25
Continues to be a shocker, so it's my vote in the MS award for biggest drama
Valentin B - 02.02.2009 at 00:40
Written by tulkas on 02.02.2009 at 00:25

Continues to be a shocker, so it's my vote in the MS award for biggest drama

yup i voted it too
Marcel Hubregtse - 02.02.2009 at 01:51
I don't see why people are shocked. About 10% of the Earth's population is gay.
tulkas - 02.02.2009 at 01:57
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.02.2009 at 01:51

I don't see why people are shocked. About 10% of the Earth's population is gay.

the way i see it is that... dude, it's gaahl, most feared dude in norway, typical bm musician as bad as it can be, portraying what bm is all abot, and suddenly: he's gay! it's not the kind guy that you'd expect to be gay, like some glam metal dude or something
Marcel Hubregtse - 02.02.2009 at 02:02
Written by tulkas on 02.02.2009 at 01:57

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.02.2009 at 01:51

I don't see why people are shocked. About 10% of the Earth's population is gay.

I don't understand why people conisider Ghaal as the most feared person. Come on Gorgoroth was is and will always be boring shit and Ghaal was is and will always be a parody of whatever he was trying to portray. Please give me one good reason why the guy was feared.
tulkas - 02.02.2009 at 02:08
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.02.2009 at 02:02

that's what they said on this documentary when they were going to interview him, i'm not saying i fear him. according to what they said was that it was because of him having kiddnapped some dude dude and doing stuff to him...
anyway, like i said, it shocks me just because he always portrayed himself as ths badass necro dude, so i wouldn't really expect for someone like him to say he's gay.
Ph0eNiX - 02.05.2009 at 07:04
This isn't an issue...
He doesn't have cancer or any wack diseases
He didn't kill anyone
The band didn't break up

Why is this news exactly or necessary for a forum/debate?
metalhead3 - 03.05.2009 at 21:57
I think that we all know that he is a gay before he told that in public
Galar - 10.09.2009 at 18:25
Written by Ph0eNiX on 02.05.2009 at 07:04

This isn't an issue...
He doesn't have cancer or any wack diseases
He didn't kill anyone
The band didn't break up

Why is this news exactly or necessary for a forum/debate?

Because it's Ghaal, and to be blunt; because he's gay
Thulsa Doom - 11.09.2009 at 22:55
I realize I'm a day late and a dollar short to this conversation, but....
Written by Valaskjalf on 31.10.2008 at 15:07

Yeah and here he is designing "happy frocks" to be sold commercially.

"Happy Frocks"....LOL!!!! That made me laugh out loud at The Internet. Well played, sir.

Regardless of where you stand on the issues of Gorgoroth/Gaahl/BM/homosexuality/womens fashion design/etc., we've just witnessed the birth of a new term for our Metal lexicon. Whenever the next Metal musician outs himself (and I'll bet you a 3 dollar bill that there will be more), let's not refer to him as "gay", but rather "Gaahy". As in "Gaahl is Gaahy." I think it's a touching and fitting tribute.

(Although, he's once again the innovator in Metal, there just aren't any good/silly word-jumble jokes for Rob Halford. Furthermore, I have too much respect for Mr. Halford to poke fun, even purely in jest. Gaahl...... not so much.)
SatyriconChick - 10.11.2009 at 20:30
Seriously, so what if Gaahl is gay? I'm not exactly a fan of his, but I do like Gorgoroth and have their oldest releases. The guy's sexual orientation should be a non-issue. What's important is his talent, end of story. I'm a straight woman all the way through, but it sickens me to read all the homophobic bashing of Gaahl in this thread.
Angelic Storm - 13.11.2009 at 12:37
Written by SatyriconChick on 10.11.2009 at 20:30

Agreed on all that. I actually think the biggest irony of all this, is Gaahl is probably the most black metal guy around, seeing as with it's anti-christian and individualistic nature, he seems to embody this more than any other guy in the scene!

Haha, most straight women don't have a problem with gay guys, it seems to be mainly other guys that gay bash and have a problem with gays. I have heard a couple of guys saying they hate gay men, but love gay women. Which is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

As for the guy saying "christian bashing" is allowed on the forum, but gay bashing isn't, I don't agree with that at all. Saying you don't like aspects of christianity, or organised religion, is not the same as "bashing" it. Gay bashing criticises the person purely for being gay. Criticising religion, or aspects of it, is not attacking individual religious people, as they aren't all the same. There's a real venom and hate which is seen in most anti-gay speech, which you don't see in most criticisms of religion, so it really is quite different.
xstarkiller - 07.03.2010 at 20:23
Youre message just a short quote "As for Christianity bashing, I think it would be ridiculous and illogical to not have some allowance for Christianity bashing on a forum with so many black metallers"what about all the people that like black metal who also believe in christ? they are out there, also i have no problem with gays or christ although i chose not to follow him but i will not condemn any one who does, by trying to censor people who bash gays and let people who bash christians get by, you my friend are nothing more than an illogical Hypocrite
Introspekrieg - 07.03.2010 at 20:34
Mutual respect and a sense of humor can go a long way
Hylia - 08.03.2010 at 11:51
Well being gay is perhaps the most anti christian thing you can do. Most Christians hate gays. But I think it's good for him he's admitting he is gay, there is nothing wrong with it at all.
MétalNoir - 28.04.2010 at 20:27
Written by NeverAgain on 07.11.2008 at 21:27

Exactly, people can't compare religious beliefs with sexual orientation, even though I consider being faithful is a matter of brainwashing since you were a child and thus can't be called a free choice... Anyway, I don't see contradiction opposing BM and homosexuality, since sodomy is common in bm lyrics AND homosexuality is still considered a sin by the Church. I think being gay just adds a lot to the BM character. Ghaal is one of my idols because he is true (yes even with the Satan bullshit). His coming out just makes him even truer.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

News Gorgoroth - Hellhammer Joins Forces With King And Gaahl 6 27.10.2007 by Warman
News Gaahl - In The Middle Of Black Metal Musical Controversy 6 16.01.2010 by
News Gorgoroth - Band Update 4.5 03.04.2010 by Ask
News Gorgoroth - Vocalist Fired From The Band 4.5 22.08.2012 by SSM
News Gorgoroth - European Mini-Tour With Keep Of Kalessin 4.5 27.11.2009 by SatyriconChick