Original news posted on 10.09.2009

Irish metallers Gama Bomb have issued the following update on their MySpace blog:

"We're pretty happy to announce that this November 5th we're going to be giving our third album, "Tales From The Grave In Space", away for free through Earache Records.

On the day you'll be able to visit www.earache.com/gamabomb and download all the album tracks, as well as the cover art by Jeff Jordan, for nothing.

Here's a video of Philly looking hung over at the Science Museum, trying to explain the whole shebang."

According to the band: "The album is inspired by the horror and sci-fi compendiums of the 1950s and 60s and will feature cover artwork by a well-known fantasy illustrator. Inspired by collections like Tales From The Crypt, The Twilight Zone, Eerie and Creepy, Tales From The Grave In Space's tracks take in topics ranging from the undead, technology run amok and ninja assassins to ghouls, ghosts and murder most foul.
It's business as usual, boils and ghouls."

Gama Bomb will be entering Grindstone Studios in Suffolk, UK on September 15th with producer Scott Atkins to record "Tales From The Grave In Space".

UPDATE

So today is the day that you can download Gama Bomb's new album entirely for free. All you have to do is follow the above link, enter your email address into their webpage and a download link will appear. The album is in mp3 format at 320kbps quality and contains no Digital Rights Management technology. The album will be available for download for the rest of today only.

Source: blogs.myspace.com
Band profile: Gama Bomb

Posted: 05.11.2009 by White Winter Sun

Comments

Vermin - 09.09.2009 at 18:07
An admirable move.
Syk - 09.09.2009 at 20:23
Love free stuff. Although it might not be too much of an undervaluation... can't remember anything from their last release... ahh, here's hoping
Xnoybis - 09.09.2009 at 21:00
I liked their last album. it was marked down to $9.99 already, so it's not like they were bilking fans or profiteering off the music.

nice move on their part, but surely they and the label deserve at least a little coin to sustain the band for future efforts.
Got Mayhem? - 10.09.2009 at 02:07
His reasoning seems flawed. The primary source of finding new music is websites like these and youtube, not label websites.

Hope it works out for them, but I don't think this will do much to help them in the long run.
Black Conundrum - 10.09.2009 at 02:32
I like how he is walking in a museum while announcing it. I wonder if physical copies are available of this album. I know for a fact that, although it is an act of niceness on their behalf, I am not really a person who supports the downloading movement and would never do it for my music. That's just me though. As stated by others on this thread, they do deserve at least a little bit of money from this.
LeChron James - 05.11.2009 at 04:47
W00000t for free shit!
WorpeX - 05.11.2009 at 05:07
Written by Got Mayhem? on 10.09.2009 at 02:07

I agree with this. Metalstorm, Youtube and Internet Based Radios (Pandora, Last.FM) help me find music. I never go onto label sites.
Metal Maiden - 05.11.2009 at 06:49
Written by WorpeX on 05.11.2009 at 05:07

Ah, I can tell you're american without looking up your profile...I remember the good ol' days with Pandora...back when I was still able to use it... And I don't even remember what the fuck happened to it anymore...
Fat & Sassy! - 05.11.2009 at 08:11
Wow. Free with no strings attached... and it's even at 320kbps to boot! (J'.')J
Silent Jay - 05.11.2009 at 17:32
Playing it right now They are awesome for doing this.
Overlord_PT - 06.11.2009 at 02:34
Indeed
Locke - 06.11.2009 at 07:37
This band is amazing. Great album too.
PrettyMao - 06.11.2009 at 19:02
Written by Black Conundrum on 10.09.2009 at 02:32

They aren't giving their album away for free out of niceness, don't be silly.

They are doing it for exposure, so that people who wouldn't normally go out of their way to pay for an album of a band they have never heard before can hear it (because everyone likes the word "free"). And they hope that these people will like the band and perhaps support them more in the future.

It's simple marketing. And there's a lot of research out there that would suggest that by giving out free samples people will try your product and if they are happy with it they may become repeat customers, and we all know repeat customers are the best customers. Why do you think companies are always giving away free shit in the mail and such? Because they are nice? That's a fucking laugh....
Metal Maiden - 07.11.2009 at 19:36
Written by PrettyMao on 06.11.2009 at 19:02

Written by Black Conundrum on 10.09.2009 at 02:32

They aren't giving their album away for free out of niceness, don't be silly.

You're absolutely right...these guys are such assholes for throwing dirt in our eyes...I mean, invoking that evilish thing called "marketing" upon the fans, and making it look like they are actually giving away their album for free, with a 320kbps at that... Nah, I'd much rather go stick with metallica and gun'n'roses who sue fans for downloading their albums, but are at least straight and honest about it...Now that's the kind of advertisement a band needs...
selken - 07.11.2009 at 20:16
Hehe, I love free stuff....

My first impression... a good band, some kind of riot-party speed/thrash like Sex Machineguns...

good stuff
Fat & Sassy! - 07.11.2009 at 23:33
Written by PrettyMao on 06.11.2009 at 19:02

Written by Black Conundrum on 10.09.2009 at 02:32

They aren't giving their album away for free out of niceness, don't be silly.

And more power to them. Either way, I'm getting an album for FREE. You sound kind of angry about this band wanting exposure... Isn't that what every band wants?

And how do you know they aren't nice guys? Judging by their music, they have a good sense of humor.
PrettyMao - 10.11.2009 at 19:25
Written by Metal Maiden on 07.11.2009 at 19:36

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 07.11.2009 at 23:33

I'm sorry I came off as angry/cynical. I just thought Turd of Black sounded like some naive nitwit that didn't understand the facts behind bands doing this kind of promotion.

I am personally all for this type of gimmick. When people hear the word "FREE" they come flying out of the woodwork to get whatever it may be. This allows smaller bands to get more exposure to a larger audience that would not normally go out of their way to give the band a chance had they had to pay for the album. And if the band's music is genuinely good they might just be able to attract more fans to buy future albums.

A lot of authors are taking this approach as well, giving away a couple of their titles for free in hopes of attracting a larger audience. And it has been working.

So good luck to them.

News Gama Bomb - Sign With AFM Records, Reveal New Album Title 9 28.01.2013 by LICH
News Gama Bomb - Working On New Album 9 18.06.2011 by
News Gama Bomb - New Album Details Revealed 9 04.03.2013 by DaMaGeR
News Savage Messiah - New Album Up For Free Download 7 23.11.2011 by Kingface
News Soulitude - Entire New Album Available For Free Download 7 05.05.2010 by Vitriolic Hate