Norwegian black metal band Keep Of Kalessin are among the artists competing to represent Norway in next year's Eurovision Song Contest.

Last Tuesday (December 1), Keep of Kalessin guitarist and songwriter Obsidian C (real name: Arnt Grønbech) told the Norwegian TV show "Lydverket" that he's looking forward to performing the song "The Dragon Tower" alongside Norwegian pop artists and mainstream songwriters.

"I read an interview with Per Sundnes (host of the Norwegian Eurovision finals) where he said they wanted darker and harder songs for the Norwegian Eurovision finals," he said. "At the same time, we had made a song with a catchy chorus, so I just sent it to them."

On being called sellout:

Obsidian: "I think we are gonna get some reactions from the black metal scene, and lose some credibility. Some people, at least, will call us sellouts, but people saying those things are usually people who have an underground band themselves but make a living from selling hot dogs at a gas station. I think it's less of a sellout to play in the Eurovision than to sell hot dogs."

Finnish rock band Lordi won the Eurovision Song Contest in 2006 with the song "Hard Rock Hallelujah". Obsidian C doesn't believe Keep of Kalessin will achieve the same type of success in the competition, but he's looking forward to getting more mainstream attention for the band.

"The song might be a little too extreme for us to win, but hard rock has performed well in the Eurovision earlier, so we'll just have to wait and see," he said. "The song will at least give us a little more attention with a broad audience back here in Norway."

Leif Åge Reme, executive producer of the Norwegian Eurovision Song Contest finals, says that the TV show did not ask Keep of Kalessin to take part in the competiton for publicity. "Eurovision is a songwriting contest that reflects the type of songs that are being written around the country, even if that means it is not pop. We are seeking a broad selection of songwriters, and not the publicity."

Source: blogs.myspace.com
Band profile: Keep Of Kalessin

Posted: 04.12.2009 by Krankheit

Comments

Bas - 04.12.2009 at 18:44
It would be pretty awesome if they'd actually represent Norway at eurovision song contest. I don't think it's very likely but hey, at least they're definitely better than Lordi or Teräsbetoni (blergh)

And I like hot dogs, lol
Black_Handed - 04.12.2009 at 19:00
Well, no...selling hot dogs (and hot dogs in general) is metal, unless its a metaphor for selling a specific part of male body, then it is not.
Ragana - 04.12.2009 at 19:06
Norway wouldn't want to host Eurovision for two years anyway, so they can easily afford something totally insane.

Quote:
"I think it's less of a sellout to play in the Eurovision than to sell hot dogs."

That's rubbish, those are two different things and I don't even sell hotdogs, lol.
Sunioj - 04.12.2009 at 19:11
It's not like this band hasn't "sold-out" before. Not that it really matters. Hell, if I had a chance to take a piss on the Eurovision, I'd probably do the same thing.
silenius - 04.12.2009 at 19:14
Well they suck and their music is very popish nowadays so i think this fits them perfectly:P
iMorphball - 04.12.2009 at 19:35
Written by silenius on 04.12.2009 at 19:14

Keep of Kalessin is poppish? i would never have come to THAT conclusion.ß
Carrion Misery - 04.12.2009 at 19:38
Written by silenius on 04.12.2009 at 19:14

lol you're the one with Opeth as the first band in your favorites. Opeth's latest music is more pop than Keep's; so why would that be an issue on whether or not they're good? Keep's latest music flows better than before and is more catchy than it used to be, that doesn't make it pop imo. Still fast as hell with kick ass riffs. They're a fresh, original sound that I like a lot.

I hope Keep gains more fans and opportunities through this show.
Valaskjalf - 04.12.2009 at 19:42
Written by silenius on 04.12.2009 at 19:14

Yeah i dont understand how you get to that conclusion...just because you dont like it doesnt make it pop. I agree their last album sucked monkey balls because of terrible vocals and unimaginative songwriting but I wont call it pop just for the sake of it not being a good album.

Bit shocked by this whole Eurovision thing.....dont know what the hell they're thinking. Unless they wanna do it to piss people off and not ACTUALLY to win it and be known as "pop" from here on.
Zhao - 04.12.2009 at 19:44
Hm, Black metal from Norway and prog from Sweden? whats next Statovarius represents Finland?
Ragana - 04.12.2009 at 19:53
Written by Zhao on 04.12.2009 at 19:44

Nope. Sonata Arctica.

Anyway, what about Sweden?
Zhao - 04.12.2009 at 20:00
Written by Ragana on 04.12.2009 at 19:53

Written by Zhao on 04.12.2009 at 19:44

Nope. Sonata Arctica.

Anyway, what about Sweden?

Pain of Salvation is going to enter the contest with a song with the same name as thier next album.
Vitriolic Hate - 04.12.2009 at 20:09
Lol Black metal in Eurovision let's see....
DoomGuard - 04.12.2009 at 20:43
Even though I'm not from Norway, Lordi would be funner to see on stage again
RhaegarTargaryen - 04.12.2009 at 21:20
I love the way that all trve metalheads go saying how band is a "sell out" or "pop" if it tries to promote itself in any 'unmetal' way. Who fucking cares, it's a way to promote a band, and metal. Certanly they will get more attention this way, so it's a brilliat move for them ... oh and I saw them live few months ago, they fucking rock
Btw there were talks that Stratovarius will represent Belarus since it matters from which country the writer of the song is ...
Zhao - 04.12.2009 at 22:11
Written by RhaegarTargaryen on 04.12.2009 at 21:20

This is getting more and more bizzare, just heard from a friend of mine who is from Turkey that they got a metal band in thier contest too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBL5DcJbR_A

Imagine a eurovision with only metal bands
Doc Godin - 04.12.2009 at 23:56
Written by Carrion Misery on 04.12.2009 at 19:38

Written by silenius on 04.12.2009 at 19:14

I hope Keep gains more fans and opportunities through this show.

A better comparison would be the fact he has Behemoth on his favourites list, Keep Of Kalessin and Behemoth are about neck and neck for accessible black metal.

Secondly, call it country for all I care, Keep Of Kalessin is fucking awesome. I hope the best for them in this contest...At least Obsidian is realistic by the sounds of it.
Darth Satanious - 05.12.2009 at 01:32
What a bunch of fucking posers. *puts ketchup on a hotdog*
Troy Killjoy - 05.12.2009 at 01:33
It's only a matter of time before the Eurovision competition is ransacked and burned to the ground with the judge being crucified by legions of overzealous -- I mean passionate -- black metal fans who felt their favorite band was cheated as a result of society bowing to Christianity or something. I dunno...I'm not psychic. I mean I was going to become a clairvoyant, but I couldn't see a future in it.
silenius - 05.12.2009 at 01:34
But yea it would be great if they reached the finals, always fun to see metal bands prevail in commercial things, and i just said that shit above due to my distinct hatred towards their 2 latest albums^^ love their first:P
Promonex - 05.12.2009 at 03:03
A black metal band representing Norway? That's the most sensible thing I've heard about that contest for quite a while. At least a lot more sensible than swing artists representing Germany with Dita von Teese showing off.
Mother_North - 05.12.2009 at 03:25
I absolutly loved this news ahahah We need more metal on the Eurovision, next step will be My Dying Bride representing England and King Diamond representing Denmark Moshpit and stage diving live from Eurovision
Ellrohir - 05.12.2009 at 12:10
I think i would pay attention to this year again .D
RhaegarTargaryen - 05.12.2009 at 12:46
Written by Zhao on 04.12.2009 at 22:11

Written by RhaegarTargaryen on 04.12.2009 at 21:20

Imagine a eurovision with only metal bands

That would be quite cool. Few days ago I spoke with friend, how all scandinavian countries should make a "secret plan" to send only metal bands to eurovision
matos - 05.12.2009 at 14:53
Horror.
Thorhalla - 05.12.2009 at 15:35
Wtf??? no way..don't pls
Angel_Lament - 05.12.2009 at 16:58
Black Metal band in Eurovision??? thats a first...!!!
though I dont like this genre, I would love to see them performing in Eurovision!!!
Angel_Lament - 05.12.2009 at 17:00
Written by Zhao on 04.12.2009 at 22:11

Written by RhaegarTargaryen on 04.12.2009 at 21:20

Imagine a eurovision with only metal bands

Lol, Manga is a rock band with style like Linkin Park not a metal band!!!!
Dominus - 05.12.2009 at 17:02
Overlord_PT - 05.12.2009 at 21:25
Eurivision in a near future will turn into a rock/metal contest
Ellrohir - 05.12.2009 at 21:55
Which i find very metal

but i have seen 2 years of it and i say there were always a couple of rockers/metalers...only they were drowned between fagots and pop queens
Warman - 05.12.2009 at 22:30
"Some people, at least, will call us sellouts, but people saying those things are usually people who have an underground band themselves ..."

Ehm, no? I rarely discuss the sellout topic, but to most average Metal fans... this is sellout.
Syk - 06.12.2009 at 13:49
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.12.2009 at 01:33

I agree with the backlash re: hot dogs... I don't even like them, but what a dumb thing for him to say. Where's the logic in that?
ItalktotheWind - 07.12.2009 at 05:17
Quote:

What an asshole. Honestly, those who have to keep a shitty job to pay for their underground band have a lot more integrity than this guy.
Skatmat - 10.12.2009 at 19:58
This is just... I dunno, either totally fuckin awesome, or completely utterly embarassing? Well I must certainly be voting my ass off if they make it...
Westvann - 02.01.2010 at 23:46
Written by RhaegarTargaryen on 05.12.2009 at 12:46

Written by Zhao on 04.12.2009 at 22:11

Written by RhaegarTargaryen on 04.12.2009 at 21:20

Imagine a eurovision with only metal bands

WOW, MPG couldn't be better than that=)
Westvann - 08.01.2010 at 23:52
Check out the live video:D they went to the national final Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW3wU2fDc2o
Ellrohir - 12.01.2010 at 02:18
Written by Angel_Lament on 05.12.2009 at 16:58

Black Metal band in Eurovision???

dont worry...this (at least the song they presented for) isnt black metal anymore...
Zhao - 15.01.2010 at 21:15
I love the way this is going. All we need to do now is send Varg to the Vatican and metal will rule the world!

on topic: lol, lets hope Pain of Salvation brings something more in their genre
matos - 21.01.2010 at 01:47
So, what happened ? Are they out yet ? still competing ?

News Keep Of Kalessin - New Song Online 7.5 19.05.2008 by Hamird
News Keep Of Kalessin - New Song Online 7.5 10.01.2010 by Ellrohir
News Lordi: Reach Finals Of The Eurovision Song Contest 5.5 19.05.2006 by Götter
News Teräsbetoni - To Perform At Eurovision Song Contest 5.5 03.03.2008 by Akke920
News Apocalyptica - Play Show At Eurovision Song Contest Final 5.5 27.04.2007 by Lupas