Other13
Judas Priest10
Slayer10
Deep Purple3
Motorhead2

Total votes: 234

The original post

Posted by Valentin B on 19.12.2007 at 19:19
THIS IS NOT A POLL FOR WHICH BAND KICKS MOST ASS OUT OF THE LIST, PLEASE DO NOT STATE THE BAND WHICH YOU LIKE THE MOST.

Ok, so this poll is about the biggest metal band. the one who sold the most albums, has had the largest influence, plays the most epic venues, makes bombastic live shows, and generally who gave us the best metal for the most amount of time, but i'm talking about consistency, fame and influence.

For me, the biggest metal band ever is Judas Fucking Priest. the core line up(KK, Glenn, Ian) has never changed in 33 years! seriously, what band out of the list lasted that long without changing lineups? answer: none. they have had an enormous influence on the great power metal bands of today, like Grave Digger or Hammerfall to name only 2, by showing on the songs "Exciter" and "Running Wild" how to play fast, screaming and heavy. also their raw aggressive sound of "Dissident Aggressor", "Rapid Fire", "Diamonds and Rust" or "Tyrant" have also influenced the Thrash metal movement.

In the 80s they continued to wave the power metal flag with landmark releases like "British Steel", "Screaming for Vengeance", "Ram it Down" or "Defenders of the Faith", but they really done it with the 1990 release of PAINKILLER, arguably the best metal album ever, with a fresh, brutal, raw sound that many mere mortal bands such as Iced Earth can only dream to recreate.

With Halford's departure they brought the younger Tim "The Ripper" Owens, and with this Priest totally reinvented themselves, especially on my personal favourite live album, Meltdown. In 2004 though Halford comes back, now here to stay...

So, that is why i consider the Priest to be the biggest metal band ever. But who do you consider the title should go to?

Page 5 of 5

ExtraHachse

08.07.2010 at 20:57
My favourite Metal band is Rage but imo the biggest metal band are Scorpions. They came from germany and could always be at the top with bands like AC/DC
----
I like Powerwolf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
vezzy
Stallmanite

08.07.2010 at 21:11
Deep Purple and Metallica have always seemed to be pretty big among metalheads and classic rockers.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
Weaponz248

09.07.2010 at 05:49
Led Zeppelin, They wrote the greatest song ever.......
Angelic Storm
Melodious

09.07.2010 at 05:54
Metallica.

Led Zeppelin aren't a metal band...
ferm

04.08.2010 at 09:18
Iron Maiden is biggest Imao.

Led Zeppelin is Metal now??
Malphas

05.08.2010 at 20:05
Following your "original post", i voted other for Death cuz they had an immense influence on today's metal scene, inventing a whole new style (although not alone), that band should be in history books imo, since their achievements are so epic, to be honest I'm surprised Death isn't even in the poll
----
exclude the impossible and what's left is the truth.
MetalFist
Account deleted
  06.08.2010 at 15:19
Metallica is the 'biggest' band, and are the highest selling. You cannot deny that, they are also generally the most well-known along with black sabbath. Led Zeppelin doesnt count >.> They have released some amazing albums, even though they have.. 'degraded' a bit over the years.
Metal_4Ever

03.07.2011 at 02:09
It should be Opeth but I voted for Metallica cuz I don't want to miss that vote
----
My Last Fm Profile
JD
Kafir

03.07.2011 at 02:27
I think Black Sabbath because they started it, Metallica will be my second choice because of their Kill'em all.
----
"The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull"
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
  06.07.2011 at 17:31
Iron Maiden and Judas Priest. Equally. But I voted Maiden.
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
  23.07.2011 at 16:26
I don't know why Led's mentioned here, but they are the biggest band in the world. They wrote Stairway.
Pennywise213
Account deleted
  24.07.2011 at 21:34
Pretty easy answer: Its Iron Maiden. Metal = Iron Maiden. They sold millions of albums without MTV or Mainstream albums as Metallica.
RavenKing

31.07.2011 at 00:26
Useless poll. As much as I despise Metallica, they are the biggest metal band.
Biggest is not subjective.
Who is the biggest metal band is an objective question and the objective answer is Metallica.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
BitterCOld
OldBitterGringo

02.08.2011 at 05:30
Written by RavenKing on 31.07.2011 at 00:26

Useless poll. As much as I despise Metallica, they are the biggest metal band.
Biggest is not subjective.
Who is the biggest metal band is an objective question and the objective answer is Metallica.

but this is metalstorm, so objectivity is tossed out the window. it's only brought up when someone wants to rip on the objectivity of a reviewer whose opinion they disagree with.

metallica is clearly the biggest at the moment and over the last decade. then again in another thread about biggest band of all time there were an awful lot of votes for bands other than The Beatles...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.
Jirpo

02.08.2011 at 14:54
The zep aren't metal IMO, but I think they are the biggest out of these.
Dentura
Shadow King

22.12.2012 at 11:51
Metallica definitely. They're pretty much able to sell out entire stadiums wherever they go with the drop of a hat, and pretty much everyone on the whole planet knows about them (the extremely average and generic metalhead is bound to know about them). Quite a few of their songs are still being played on Top 40 radio stations as well.
----
...And so death to the falsity of thy former rulers. Thy kingdom of "heaven" burns in a field of fire, and Dentura is the one true God thou must yield thy hearts and souls to in absolute submission. It is his ultimate decree and will unto thee..
SuicidalCyco
No Mercy

23.12.2012 at 09:53
Fuckin' Slayer
----
The sun may never set on the British empire, but it never sets on my asshole either.
john_mcc

23.12.2012 at 19:14
Led Zeppelin are the biggest band on that poll, and not by a small amount. Whether they are Metal or not is a whole different topic. In both influence and sales they are far ahead of all the other bands listed.

Metallica are the biggest band that don't cause arguments about what is Metal and what is not.

RavenKing is exactly right about this not being a matter of opinion. Number of albums sold, number of fans around the world, how quickly a stadium would sell out if they were to play there. These are facts, not opinions. Subsequent influence may be a bit more subjective, but only a bit.
Guib

27.12.2012 at 00:57
Written by john_mcc on 23.12.2012 at 19:14

Led Zeppelin are the biggest band on that poll, and not by a small amount. Whether they are Metal or not is a whole different topic. In both influence and sales they are far ahead of all the other bands listed.

Metallica are the biggest band that don't cause arguments about what is Metal and what is not.

RavenKing is exactly right about this not being a matter of opinion. Number of albums sold, number of fans around the world, how quickly a stadium would sell out if they were to play there. These are facts, not opinions. Subsequent influence may be a bit more subjective, but only a bit.

You are right for Led Zepplin... But for the Biggest ''METAL'' band that does not cause arguments ? hmm lets share some stats.

Maiden and Metallica sold pretty much the same amount of albums worldwide (which is around 100 million copies +)
They both fill up stadium and are sold out within a month lol or less. But... where it changes.
Maiden has 15 studio albums vs 9, 10 live vs 4. To me it seems pretty close.
But I would still give my vote to Maiden. Plus I think they toured places Metallica didn't cuz of their Ed Force plane
But I can't confirm that.
----
- I love my technical, melodic, my thrash, agressive and fast paced, my sludge, well thought, my heavy, heavier and my metal, ever-growing -
john_mcc

27.12.2012 at 06:15
I don't know the actual sales figures for each but I would be surprised if Maiden had sold as many albums as Metallica. I would prefer that to be the case, but I would be surprised. I looked it up on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists) and Metallica are half way down the list of best selling artists ever with 100 Million sales and Maiden are not on the list at all, so it seems not, but maybe you have some more reliable figures? I was surprised by how comfortably AC/DC beat both being way higher in the Wikipedia list than I imagined that they would be with double Metallica's sales. And Metallica beat REM! I wouldn't have imagined that.

One thing that Metallica should definitely lose some points for though is that they are now a joke to a sizable chunk of their former fan-base. Does a copy of St Anger that was smashed to bits with a hammer the same night that it was purchased count as much as a Maiden album that has been played a few hundred times and counting since being bought? To Wikipedia and the Recording Industry it does, but maybe Maiden do win after all when you look at it like that.
Guib

27.12.2012 at 06:18
Written by john_mcc on 27.12.2012 at 06:15

I don't know the actual sales figures for each but I would be surprised if Maiden had sold as many albums as Metallica. I would prefer that to be the case, but I would be surprised. I looked it up on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists) and Metallica are half way down the list of best selling artists ever with 100 Million sales and Maiden are not on the list at all, so it seems not, but maybe you have some more reliable figures? I was surprised by how comfortably AC/DC beat both being way higher in the Wikipedia list than I imagined that they would be with double Metallica's sales. And Metallica beat REM! I wouldn't have imagined that.

One thing that Metallica should definitely lose some points for though is that they are now a joke to a sizable chunk of their former fan-base. Does a copy of St Anger that was smashed to bits with a hammer the same night that it was purchased count as much as a Maiden album that has been played a few hundred times and counting since being bought? To Wikipedia and the Recording Industry it does, but maybe Maiden do win after all when you look at it like that.

Actually my friend you cant really trust that wiki list I first checked it too and figured that it just made no sense that Maiden was not on the list. Check out other sources you'll see that in Fact they have sold over 100 millions copies lol. I just don't seem to understand why they failed to put them there. lol and also I think its pretty normal that AC/DC beats both, nothing too surprising there.

And I can't agree more with you about Metallica there... even though they made great albums back in the days, what they do now is utter shit.
----
- I love my technical, melodic, my thrash, agressive and fast paced, my sludge, well thought, my heavy, heavier and my metal, ever-growing -

Advertise on Metal Storm
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]

Login or register to post here.