Metal Storm logo
Månegarm

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 09.06.2006 - 00:50
I could say I'm surprised that such an excelent band still doesn't have its own thread, but it's not really all that surprising. I don't think there's any doubt in fact that Manegarm is one of the most underrated bands in the whole folk and viking metal scene.
For those who don't know them, Manegarm were formed in 1995, initially as a Black Metal band, with goal to play as fast and primitive metal as possible. Yet, starting with their third album (Dödsfärd), they switched into a more melodic form, taking the shape of a folk-influenced Viking Metal band. As far as similarities go, I think today they would be best described as something in-between Thyrfing and Ensiferum.

As I already insinuated, the music they play is excellent. Their songs are really varied and usually pretty heavy, while the atmosphere they build up, dark and epic. The vocals range from clear singing (here both male and female) to harsher forms and finally death growls.
Some songs can be downloaded from their website: http://www.manegarm.com/ (including a track from their latest album, which comes out at the end of this month).

Asides getting people to know about this band, I would also like to know what other Metalstormers think about them
11.02.2007 - 01:40
Stigmatized
Written by Stigmatized on 03.12.2006 at 16:27

I obsessed with the song "Segervisa" at the moment. Can't get enough of it.

Still listening to this song on a regular basis over 2 months later.
11.02.2007 - 05:22
MetalSpider
I really like the song Hemfard (off Vredins Tid). I cant get enough of it.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
22.02.2007 - 15:15
Alfatester
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 23.10.2006 at 00:29

I actually rasterbated the cover of Vredens Tid and put it on my wall .

You may use other special software for poster printing. I have tried it. It makes good posters.

P.S. In spite of the fact that this thread little bit old, I expect that this post will be helpful for community.
22.02.2007 - 15:21
Warman
Erotic Stains
The new album Vargstenen seems great! I only own their first album and I think that my next one will be their latest. IMO does the Månegarm albums have the nicest covers and the new one is no exception!
----
01.04.2007 - 17:26
baldur
vargstenen is an awesome album!!!! all 12 tracks are great!!
08.04.2007 - 01:17
Danny Thomas
i went back and relistend to dodsfard(its been over a year) and i forgot how much i liked the song "Fimbultrollet" damn good song
----
Our children are dead. Burnt in the ruins that were left by war.
01.05.2007 - 08:37
Warman
Erotic Stains
I have a question: can Månegarm be labeled as Viking Black Metal? I've seen a lot of places that consider that to be their genre.
----
14.06.2007 - 11:34
MissRagnarok
Written by Warman on 01.05.2007 at 08:37

I have a question: can Månegarm be labeled as Viking Black Metal? I've seen a lot of places that consider that to be their genre.

Yes, I would tag them like that as well =) or "Viking Folk with Black influences" =P Cause they certainy are influenced by BM too..

Great band BTW.. Seeing them live in December! Must be great..
----
For I am so omniscient that if there were to be two omnisciences's; I would be both!
- Ziltoid
15.06.2007 - 22:26
Stigmatized
Written by Warman on 01.05.2007 at 08:37

If I had to call them anything, that's what I would call them.
18.06.2007 - 20:00
Infurnace
Yes, Manegarm is a great band. I lately listened to the "Vargstenen" album, and I must say I'm really impressed, because it seems like these guys never fail to release a great cd.
12.07.2007 - 04:21
Oracle
Orcinus
Manegarm is an awesome band. I love that they have a folk album because it shows that they can do different things with their music and not just metal. i think they are different and i love their styles of music.
19.10.2007 - 13:24
Fuath
im all for folk metal, and manegarm is no different, the use of violin is amazing, i like all there songs
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

29.03.2008 - 16:56
Warman
Erotic Stains
I'll see them live tonight! Fuck yeah! I'll come back with my thoughts about it!
----
30.03.2008 - 12:18
Warman
Erotic Stains
What a fucking awesome show! Seriously one of the best I've ever attended! They are so great live! Damn, I'm all excited now several hours after the show. As you all probably know, the drummer's the vocalist. Today it seems like he just handles vocals, the bass player also got sick so he handled that too. Another (GREAT) new drummer behind the set.
Erik Grawsjö is such an amazing vocalist and he handled the bass REALLY well!
The sound quality of the show was just amazing and the bands contact with the audience was even better.
Great setlist too, I didn't even care that they skipped my favourite album "Havets vargar". Also cool that they still play their demo songs live!
I stood right in the middle front and got my hands on the setlist and had the honour to shake every band members hand. I also talked with them outside the venue before the show. Very nice guys.

The setlist:
Uppvaknande
Genom världar nio
En fallen fader
Fimbultrollet
I underjorden
Sigrblot
Ett gammalt troll
Hemfärd
Segervisa (one of the best live chants I've ever experienced)
Vargstenen
Intro (from Dödsfärd)
I evig tid
Fädernas kall
Vedergällningens tid
----
30.03.2008 - 19:30
Stigmatized
Segervisa, nice! I love that song. Sounds like an awesome and a great setlist too. I'm truly jealous man.
31.03.2008 - 00:31
Warman
Erotic Stains
Hahaha! They just announced that they'll be supporting Turisas on Friday! Månegarm twice in less then one week then!
----
05.04.2008 - 01:11
Warman
Erotic Stains
Yeah, Månegarm supported Turisas so I got to see them twice in a week! Just got home from the gig and though they only played songs from the last gig they were still awesome! I'm now more than sure that Månegarm is one of the best live bands out there, with a great stage presence! Markus Andé reminds me of Galder of Dimmu Borgir and Jonas Almqvist of Jon Nödtveidt of Dissection, Janne is just hillarious with his violin, their live drummer is amazing and Grawsjö's growls stuns me! SOOO GREAT! During "Ett gammalt troll" he almost reaches Dani Filth notes at one scream!

The setlist:
Uppvaknande
Fimbultrollet
Genom världar nio
En fallen fader
Ett gammalt troll
Sigrblot
I underjorden
Hemfärd
Vargstenen
Intro (from Dödsfärd)
I evig tid
----
06.05.2008 - 22:27
Ravendark
I just discovered this band and have only heard the "Vargstenen" album, but I must say that it has impressed me a lot and I'm going to listen their older albums for sure.
08.10.2008 - 19:53
vikingdragon
Account deleted
The first song of Månegarm than I hear was "Agirs Vrede", and I think than they are a great band ,and a great viking metal band...
Skål!!!!
11.10.2008 - 13:07
Janne
Hugin
I got my first Manegarm album yesterday (Vargstenen) but I can say that they will be one of my favourite bands. I fell in love with their music after the first listening. That's sure I'll get all of their releases soon.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
16.10.2008 - 19:44
VPeter
Manegarm is... like running half naked like a viking screaming war cries trough the woods to local old people who take an walk with their dog.
It's awesome!
17.09.2009 - 19:41
Janne
Hugin
Have you heard the new song?? imo It's awesome!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
17.09.2009 - 19:46
Thanntos
Written by Janne on 17.09.2009 at 19:41

The song is very good! The album should be great, though the cover art, compared to their previous, sucks.
----
I will kill you so hard you will die to death.
17.09.2009 - 20:06
Janne
Hugin
Written by Thanntos on 17.09.2009 at 19:46

Written by Janne on 17.09.2009 at 19:41

The song is very good! The album should be great, though the cover art, compared to their previous, sucks.

yup that cover is very boring but the music itself is great especially the beginning of the song. it'll be nice if the album is as good as this song!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
05.11.2009 - 20:03
Janne
Hugin
Wow new song again in myspace! and it's also great!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
27.01.2010 - 19:02
Warman
Erotic Stains
Must say that "Nattväsen" is one of their best releases. I love it! "Havets vargar" is probably still my absolute favourite, love how aggressive it is (remember when I saw them live and people screamed at them to play something from it, the vocalist answered "I don't think we can play that fast anymore") but I think "Nattväsen" comes in second actually. Every track owns!
----
12.02.2010 - 00:07
Janne
Hugin
I must listen to it some more times to really get into the album. I know that deeper it has much more than I first thought. (I must admit it was kinda letdown for me..)
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
12.02.2010 - 00:35
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
At least "Nattväsen" is really great song
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

12.02.2010 - 02:28
bard
This has always been one of those bands, like Moonsorrow and Thyrfing, whose song/album titles aren't in English, and so i can never remember which song is which... I appreciate that they sing in their native language (I assume the lyrics are swedish?), but it exists as a barrier between me and the music nonetheless. Then again, I don't seem to have this problem with bands like Finntroll...

The new album isn't terribly innovative, but still pretty cool stuff. I can't decide if its the best folk album of the year, haven't listened to all of the nominations yet...
----
12.02.2010 - 14:27
Lord_Regnier
Imo, this band, as well as Pagan/Viking/Folk Metal in general, is overrated.
I listened to many songs on the web. The only songs I liked were from Nordstjarnans Tidsalder and Havets Vargar. After that, their material is boring to death.
And even the songs I liked, I didn't like them enough to buy any album from this band.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"