Metal Storm logo
New genre or subgenre of black metal?

02.01.2008 - 07:29
Toolshed
Well,I noticed that two bands,Anaal Nathrakh (at least first two albums) and The Axis Of Perdition (hell,where is that band on bandlist? ) are not like other BM bands...they are often described as black metal,but that's just not it. Both of these bands combine black metal with lot of extreme industrial and even grindcore. Totally different than usual BM bands. If you listened it,you'll know Anyway,I want your opinion about it. And yes,it would be interesting what name should be given to that imaginary new genre

One more thing Not to forget that both band's members look kinda like geeks (no offense to them,it's cool)

http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=1314
http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=7836
02.01.2008 - 08:16
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Well, I'm not a huge genre whore, so I don't think any new name need be given to these guys. I'm sure if you asked both bands, they'd say the same. Bands usually don't seem to care too much about what they're labeled. However, I'm sure if someone were given the option of naming a new genre to these bands they'd come up with something brilliant like Apocalypse Metal or War Metal. I think I might have even seen one of the bands described with the latter there, not sure.

Regardless, both of these bands put out entertaining material, so I'm not going to be too worried about singling them out because of their genre name, they do that themselves with their music.
----
The force will be with you, always.
02.01.2008 - 09:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Isnt it same http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=8992
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.01.2008 - 13:24
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Bad English on 02.01.2008 at 09:34
Isnt it same http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=8992
Hell no, it's not the same at all. This thread we're in now is about the music style, by composition, or HOW the instruments are used, rather than production or WHAT instruments are used. Besides, shouldn't you use the "report to mods" button instead of posting in that case? Spammer

I think I have seen them (well, speaking just about Nathrakh for now, I don't know the other one) classified as "black metal", with "grindcore" mentioned nearby but not actually in the classification. Like "grindy Black metal", that is, black metal with grind influences/elements. I think that is fine enough - as far as I'm concerned, we don't need a new name until a whole bunch of bands are playing in this "new style" if you can even call it that, and as far as I know, that is not the case right now.

BTW Wyatt a minority of bands use the "war metal" tag already but I don't think it has any sort of definition... I wouldn't recognize it to describe anything, except, perhaps, I once read that it signifies a feeling of being in the middle of a war. But that goes mainly by lyrics and atmosphere and doesn't say anything about compositional tendencies, so it's junk.
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
02.01.2008 - 14:09
Toolshed
Damn,I must agree with that. There are just that two bands playing that (or maybe,Blut Aus Nord can be considered? and maybe some unknown bands?). Anyway,I hope there will be more and more and more such brutal and ultimately fast band. I listened so many ultra brutal death and grind bands and none is so fuckin HEAVY as these English motherfuckers.

In my opinion,the most extreme song ever - TAOP's "My Time,My Reign,My Tyranny"
02.01.2008 - 14:47
Damnated
Churchburner
do yu actually hear a similarity between Anaal Nathrakh and TAoP ? what is it?

btw, there is already a subgenre called industrial black metal. what do you want to invent now?
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
02.01.2008 - 18:41
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
TAOP say that they're coming from a more dark ambient background than metal.

Anaal Nathrakh have been a joke for a long time and are nothing like TAOP anyway.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
02.01.2008 - 21:02
Toolshed
Written by Damnated on 02.01.2008 at 14:47

do yu actually hear a similarity between Anaal Nathrakh and TAoP ? what is it?

btw, there is already a subgenre called industrial black metal. what do you want to invent now?

Well,if you think so - then listen industrial black bands like ...And Oceans and Kovenant and compare with TAOP and AN. Similarity? Absolutely no! Just listen it - and then make a comment.
02.01.2008 - 21:05
Toolshed
Written by -tom- on 02.01.2008 at 18:41

TAOP say that they're coming from a more dark ambient background than metal.

Anaal Nathrakh have been a joke for a long time and are nothing like TAOP anyway.

Hehe,you're sooo wrong, members of TAOP cited Anaal Nathrakh as their main influence

Over the years,bands changed,but first TAOP and first two AN album...similar

Just listen it.
02.01.2008 - 21:43
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
I have listened to them and I don't think there's much similarity. Where did they say Anaal Nathrakh were their main influence?
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
02.01.2008 - 22:05
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Toolshed on 02.01.2008 at 21:05

Hehe,you're sooo wrong, members of TAOP cited Anaal Nathrakh as their main influence

Over the years,bands changed,but first TAOP and first two AN album...similar

Just listen it.

TAoP's main influence is Silent Hill. maybe they stated that they were influenced by AN too, but imo there are absolutely no similarities.

ps, influence and similarities are not the same thing.

and i don't consider TAoP to be black metal for that matter. they are dark ambient/industrial with some metal elements.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
02.01.2008 - 23:44
mankvill
Necro Metal!
03.01.2008 - 00:46
Sunioj
Necro'd Black Metal or Blackened Necro Metal... lmfaotbh
03.01.2008 - 02:54
Toolshed
Necro metal!!!

@ that dude that said that TAOP isn't black - they have guitar sound tipically black metal,and partially vocals are black too. On various metal sites they are described as black metal,and much people I know think that,also many people on metalstorm. And also,Silent Hill is influence just ambient parts,not on fast,what are you nuts?

Hell,I have impression that you didn't listened first album at all So listen it and then make a comments.If you don't know what ur talkin about you don't involve

And yes, for fuck sake, read these interviews:

http://www.obskure.com/fr/inter_model.php?num_inter=490
http://www.mortemzine.net/article.php?id=713
03.01.2008 - 03:12
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Toolshed on 03.01.2008 at 02:54

@ that dude that said that TAOP isn't black - they have guitar sound tipically black metal,and partially vocals are black too. On various metal sites they are described as black metal,and much people I know think that,also many people on metalstorm. And also,Silent Hill is influence just ambient parts,not on fast,what are you nuts?

what they do is nothing typical black metal. if you found that typical, you are either deaf or haven't heard much black metal.
----

03.01.2008 - 03:19
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
I think all of TAOP's stuff was influenced by the Silent Hill soundtrack. They did say that they come from a dark ambient background.

I'd call their first 3 releases black metal though. Not important anyway. It sounds great. Physical Illucinations is one of the most insane pieces of music I've ever heard.
----

Read Watchmen.
03.01.2008 - 03:24
Damnated
Churchburner
i remembered wrong, i thought their first album was in the vein of the second one. i'm just re listening to it. it is indeed black metal. but i still don't see any AN similarity.
----

03.01.2008 - 04:11
Toolshed
Written by Damnated on 03.01.2008 at 03:12

Written by Toolshed on 03.01.2008 at 02:54

what they do is nothing typical black metal. if you found that typical, you are either deaf or haven't heard much black metal.

I said,it is just black metal,not TYPICAL black metal,jesus fucking christ.
03.01.2008 - 04:12
Toolshed
Written by -tom- on 03.01.2008 at 03:19

I think all of TAOP's stuff was influenced by the Silent Hill soundtrack. They did say that they come from a dark ambient background.

I'd call their first 3 releases black metal though. Not important anyway. It sounds great. Physical Illucinations is one of the most insane pieces of music I've ever heard.

On first album there isn't more than 10% of ambient parts.Mostly ultraspeed black/industrial.Now I know you listened only second album.
03.01.2008 - 04:13
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Toolshed on 03.01.2008 at 04:11

I said,it is just black metal,not TYPICAL black metal,jesus fucking christ.

yeah, i didn't read carefully. i just read typical and black metal. don't cry.
----

03.01.2008 - 06:04
Toolshed
OK then.
03.01.2008 - 16:00
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Written by Toolshed on 03.01.2008 at 04:12

On first album there isn't more than 10% of ambient parts.Mostly ultraspeed black/industrial.Now I know you listened only second album.

I've owned that album and been a big TAOP fan for a few years. Guess I didn't listen to it lol.

I didn't say it wasn't metal. I said that the band were coming from a dark ambient/Power electronics background which is what they said on their forum. Ask them yourselves. I think this does show in the music despite the fact there isn't much ambient stuff. The music is way more orientated around producing a dark, horrific atmosphere than good riffs.
----

Read Watchmen.
03.01.2008 - 19:04
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
staff
Anaal Nathrakh = grind/black metal
it just so happens they use a drum machine and that kinda brings them close to cybergrind.
but their genre isnt really all that unique.
03.01.2008 - 22:59
mankvill
Written by jupitreas on 03.01.2008 at 19:04

Anaal Nathrakh = grind/black metal
it just so happens they use a drum machine and that kinda brings them close to cybergrind.
but their genre isnt really all that unique.

NECRO METAL!!!
04.01.2008 - 02:07
Toolshed
Written by -tom- on 03.01.2008 at 16:00

Written by Toolshed on 03.01.2008 at 04:12

I've owned that album and been a big TAOP fan for a few years. Guess I didn't listen to it lol.

I didn't say it wasn't metal. I said that the band were coming from a dark ambient/Power electronics background which is what they said on their forum. Ask them yourselves. I think this does show in the music despite the fact there isn't much ambient stuff. The music is way more orientated around producing a dark, horrific atmosphere than good riffs.

I didn't say FROM WHAT BACKGROUND they came,I said what they sound like.
04.01.2008 - 05:38
Zarathustra19
Account deleted
I just classify Anaal as black metal. Its close enough and I have enough genres to worry about in my library anyway. I believe in only a few subgenres of black metal: Depressive Black Metal, Funeral Black Metal, Pagan Black Metal, and Symphonic Black Metal. Getting into stuff like Necro Black Metal just opens the floodgates. I mean, hell, I've seen people tagging music with shit like Extreme Necro Black Grind Metal. No exaggeration.

On a different note, I'm a huge Anaal Nathrakh fan, and I think I have an Axis of Perdition album lying around. Excellent music there.

Cheers!
04.01.2008 - 06:35
Zombie, M.D.
Black grind is nothing new. Brush up on your Blasphemy, Nuclear Death, Conqueror, Naked Whipper and (pre-Drawing Down the Moon) Beherit.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
04.01.2008 - 08:50
FOOCK Nam
Subgenre of black metal, is what I would classify. Because after listening to their drums and guitar (very raw), I see it has black metal element. Moreover they cover Mayhem song.
04.01.2008 - 09:06
mankvill
Written by Zombie, M.D. on 04.01.2008 at 06:35

Black grind is nothing new. Brush up on your Blasphemy, Nuclear Death, Conqueror, Naked Whipper and (pre-Drawing Down the Moon) Beherit.

O: I would love to hear pre-Drawing Down The Moon Beherit.
04.01.2008 - 20:46
Zarathustra19
Account deleted
Written by Zombie, M.D. on 04.01.2008 at 06:35

Oh, yes, I know that Black Grind is a genre (though I don't listen to it right now, so its not a genre on my list), I was pointing out how ridiculous genre naming becomes if we get too deep into it. Linking so many genres together is unnecessary in most cases.