Metal Storm logo
Buddhism

Original post

Posted by Fuath, 05.01.2008 - 05:33
i had a look for a thread about buddhism, but to my surprise i couldnt find any
if there is already one, can someone post the link here, and ill delete this one

im not actually buddhist, well i dont think im buddhist, although i share many of the same beliefs with this religion

buddhism to me is a religion, but i think it is more a sense of belonging, they dont really have one almighty supernatural being as such, but they do have something to worship

this is what i understand of buddhism, so yes i could be wrong, but i would like to know what everyone else thinks, does anyone follow buddhism, if so, which one, because i remember hearing something about there being two or more different "types" with different beliefs, though i am unsure

am i wrong? what does it mean to you?
09.03.2008 - 05:00
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 09.03.2008 at 02:57

Words of wisdom from Atlantic , good stuff.

I drank some alcohol this weekend and smoked pot with some dudes I know a few hours ago, the fifth precept (to abstain from intoxicants) does come to mind. But the precepts are not commandments, there is no god punishing or rewarding us, we control our destiny. These things I used do have the power to accumulate bad karma, but if you indulge in these things with wisdom, it minimises the bad karma alot.

Right... Lowelas, why are you even troubling with being a Buddhist if you ignore the precepts? Why not just forget the religion and live your life?

Reminds me of a friend I had in university who was a "vegetarian" but lost his resolve every time he smelled meat. He finally gave up the pretense when we caught him eating a large meat-lover's pizza.
09.03.2008 - 06:18
Nox Lux
codebreaker
I'm glad this was brought up by Harmonic and Lowelas OF FIRE:

The reason why I couldn't end up getting into Buddhism is their whole stance on achieving enlightenment through absolute self and life-denial. They deny everything in life! Not just intoxicants.

And although i've stopped smoking weed regularly, and drink at a normal person's pace [finally] I still find that here is indeed the rub.

Extreme guys that are supposedly the highest order of monks literally feel they are achieving enlightenment by simply eradicating any possibility of exercising control - if you eradicate temptation entirely, then what's the fucking point in feeling so enlightened? you haven't done shit! If it's not there then you have not exercised your teachings or virtues - and at the same time you're cutting out a lot of what could be beautiful in life.

Enlightenment to these guys is denying life.

There's plenty of time for that on the other fucking side!!!!! There's a time and a place for everything - when you're on the other side, don't partake in earthly delights - because it's not in your nature to do so, nor is it in the nature of the environment you are in.

When you are on earth, however, exercise self control at times, and exercise enjoyment at others. We are here for a reason. Let's not deny ourselves the odd earthly pleasure.

Do it when it's appropriate - when you're there, do as the romans do. When you're here, do as the romans do.

Just don't be a fuckwit about it.
----
][{ ]|/ ][_ "][" -- ][3) ][_ /=|[ [( ][{ -- ][][][ |E[ "][" ]|= ][_

"Thoughts fall in season with the right stand, rake the land
This Autumn's early leafshed a recompense for Summer's wane."
~ Nox Lux
09.03.2008 - 06:24
Nox Lux
codebreaker
Because i guarantee you that these monks will be kicking themselves when they get to the other side and realise they have an eternity to spend NOT partaking in the shit they denied themselves a whole lifetime of in the physical world - whether that be earth or elsewhere.

They'll realise they can feel as enlightened as they like over there. That here was a time when they could truly explore their strengths AND their weaknesses. Otherwise they're not learning anything.

Within reason and moderation, I would rather be Zen over on the other side thank you very much.

They are running after something they can never truly catch over here in the physical plain of lower-frequency vibrations, of sickness and of tainted beauty.
----

~ Nox Lux
09.03.2008 - 06:27
Nox Lux
codebreaker
Moderation in everything is the key - including the pseudo-zen of their presumed enlightenment.

Too much purity breeds self-righteousness and an overly content sense of being as well as an eventual lack of empathy for anyone struggling otherwise.

And everyone reading this post knows this, along with the people who never will.

----

~ Nox Lux
09.03.2008 - 07:25
Harmonic
Account deleted
Thank you for sharing your Zen with us, it was very refreshing. But what is this "other side" you keep mentioning?
09.03.2008 - 08:24
Nox Lux
codebreaker
The afterlife. Eternity. Home.

A different dimension with a higher level frequency of vibration than the physical plain. Matter condensed into a slow vibration [as most people remember Bill Hick's putting it - along with others, but that's a perfect example of a popular culture figure that people on this site will be able to identify with] is the physical plain, whether that be Earth or any other currently inhabited planet.
----

~ Nox Lux
09.03.2008 - 08:45
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Nox Lux on 09.03.2008 at 08:24

The afterlife. Eternity. Home.

A different dimension with a higher level frequency of vibration than the physical plain. Matter condensed into a slow vibration [as most people remember Bill Hick's putting it - along with others, but that's a perfect example of a popular culture figure that people on this site will be able to identify with] is the physical plain, whether that be Earth or any other currently inhabited planet.

Home is the best word for it. Where did you happen across these ideas, if you don't mind me asking? (I don't know anything about Bill Hicks.)

BTW it's plane, not plain. Physical, astral, causal planes.
09.03.2008 - 08:55
Evil Chip

Written by Fuath on 08.03.2008 at 05:38

Written by Evil Chip on 08.03.2008 at 01:27

I have nothing against. I went to some meditation class and as someone said before is not a religion, is more like philophy of life. There is nothing selfish in following a philosophy. Its selfish to think your way of life is better than other.

so true
in fact, i couldnt have put it better myself
all religions or ways of life are equal, its just what suits you best

Thanks, yeah all philosophies tend to suit a kind of person better. Though I dont follow any kind religion or philosophy consciusly. Still I have to learn lot of thing about life.
10.03.2008 - 11:28
Fuath

Written by Evil Chip on 09.03.2008 at 08:55

I have nothing against. I went to some meditation class and as someone said before is not a religion, is more like philophy of life. There is nothing selfish in following a philosophy. Its selfish to think your way of life is better than other.

so true

Thanks, yeah all philosophies tend to suit a kind of person better. Though I dont follow any kind religion or philosophy consciusly. Still I have to learn lot of thing about life.

i have 15 years of experience on life if that means anything
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

10.03.2008 - 20:08
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Fuath on 10.03.2008 at 11:28

so true

No Fuath, not yet! So far, you've been training to prepare for life. The real thing is yet to come...
11.03.2008 - 03:29
Fuath

Written by Guest on 10.03.2008 at 20:08

so true

No Fuath, not yet! So far, you've been training to prepare for life. The real thing is yet to come...

i dunno
i see your point
but i think this is as much life, as the next part is
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

11.03.2008 - 03:44
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Fuath on 11.03.2008 at 03:29

so true

i dunno
i see your point

Well, yes. You've had 15 years of life. But experience out in the world? That hasn't really started yet.
11.03.2008 - 04:19
Fuath

Written by Guest on 11.03.2008 at 03:44

so true

i dunno
i see your point

Well, yes. You've had 15 years of life. But experience out in the world? That hasn't really started yet.

yes,
but my original point was that ive had 15 years worth of life experience yes?
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

11.03.2008 - 04:31
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Fuath on 11.03.2008 at 04:19

so true

i dunno
i see your point

yes,

Fifteen years of life, Fuath. Life experience comes after you move out of your parent's place, get a full-time job and pay bills. Unless you've already done that...
11.03.2008 - 05:22
Fuath

Written by Guest on 11.03.2008 at 04:31

Written by Fuath on 11.03.2008 at 04:19

so true

i dunno
i see your point

yes,

Fifteen years of life, Fuath. Life experience comes after you move out of your parent's place, get a full-time job and pay bills. Unless you've already done that...

15 years of life is still experience is it not?
yes, it is early in life, and yes there is still more experience to gain
but still experience
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

11.03.2008 - 07:45
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Fuath on 11.03.2008 at 05:22

but still experience

Okay, I'll play ball. What has your experience (so far) taught you about life? I'm talking about the really valuable lessons. Impress me.
11.03.2008 - 08:34
Fuath

Written by Guest on 11.03.2008 at 07:45

Written by Fuath on 11.03.2008 at 05:22

but still experience

Okay, I'll play ball. What has your experience (so far) taught you about life? I'm talking about the really valuable lessons. Impress me.

i just merely stated that i have 15 years of experience
yes?
my experience is the early stages of life
i wasnt stating that i had more experience than others
valuable lessons in life
well, ive made friends
ive learnt to breathe,
ive learnt to get through years 1-9 of school plus kindergarten
ive learnt to love,
ive learnt to look,
ive learnt to find
ive learnt so many things in my life so far
ive learnt that there will be more, much much more
ive learnt all that you would expect a 15 year old to learn

everything ive learnt is valuable in life
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

11.03.2008 - 09:16
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Fuath on 11.03.2008 at 08:34

yes?
valuable lessons in life
well, ive made friends
ive learnt to breathe,
ive learnt to love,
ive learnt to look,
ive learnt to find

Breathing doesn't count because it comes automatically with the package. School doesn't count either, because you don't have a choice in the matter. I put boldface on the three really important ones. Friendship will grow more scarce. Love will get a lot harder. There are some real challenges awaiting you in matters of friendship and love. But your open mind will help make your whole life into a fantastic journey.

11.03.2008 - 10:11
Fuath

Written by Guest on 11.03.2008 at 09:16

Written by Fuath on 11.03.2008 at 08:34

yes?
valuable lessons in life
well, ive made friends
ive learnt to breathe,
ive learnt to love,
ive learnt to look,
ive learnt to find

Breathing doesn't count because it comes automatically with the package. School doesn't count either, because you don't have a choice in the matter. I put boldface on the three really important ones. Friendship will grow more scarce. Love will get a lot harder. There are some real challenges awaiting you in matters of friendship and love. But your open mind will help make your whole life into a fantastic journey.

true
thank you
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

11.03.2008 - 22:12
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 09.03.2008 at 05:00

I drank some alcohol this weekend and smoked pot with some dudes I know a few hours ago, the fifth precept (to abstain from intoxicants) does come to mind. But the precepts are not commandments, there is no god punishing or rewarding us, we control our destiny. These things I used do have the power to accumulate bad karma, but if you indulge in these things with wisdom, it minimises the bad karma alot.

Right... Lowelas, why are you even troubling with being a Buddhist if you ignore the precepts? Why not just forget the religion and live your life?

Reminds me of a friend I had in university who was a "vegetarian" but lost his resolve every time he smelled meat. He finally gave up the pretense when we caught him eating a large meat-lover's pizza.

All the answers to your questions are in my post! The precepts are not commandments, they are guidelines to make you aware of what can cause bad karma from what cannot! A Buddhist can drink, a Buddhist can have sex. The point is not to abstain altogether! But to be aware of its harms and to not indulge every chance you get cuz they can create bad karma if you don't do it correctly! Oh and I am living my life, I am living it happier, it is better that I don't over-indulge in alcohol.......to not over-indulge decreases your chances of being corrupt by these things. "Sin" is not a concept in Buddhism, we don't view these hedonistic things in that sense, Buddhist just ask "Is this hurting me to a great extent?" or "Is this hurting another person?". You seem to think that because of the precepts, you must give up alcohol altogether, the truth is, not necessarily.

Also, in finding enlightenment, you do not have to be Buddhist, I have met two people who I've considered to be enlightened (one of which is now dead), they were Christian. It's just that Buddhism is the easiest path. If you crave enlightenment, then chances are you shall fail, it is something you must await with patience.
11.03.2008 - 22:25
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 11.03.2008 at 22:12

Written by Guest on 09.03.2008 at 05:00

All the answers to your questions are in my post! The precepts are not commandments, they are guidelines to make you aware of what can cause bad karma from what cannot! A Buddhist can drink, a Buddhist can have sex. The point is not to abstain altogether! But to be aware of its harms and to not indulge every chance you get cuz they can create bad karma if you don't do it correctly! Oh and I am living my life, I am living it happier, it is better that I don't over-indulge in alcohol.......to not over-indulge decreases your chances of being corrupt by these things. "Sin" is not a concept in Buddhism, we don't view these hedonistic things in that sense, Buddhist just ask "Is this hurting me to a great extent?" or "Is this hurting another person?". You seem to think that because of the precepts, you must give up alcohol altogether, the truth is, not necessarily.

So far you've explained why you don't have to follow the precepts - I'm already clear about that part. But why be a Buddhist? What is the motivation if you are not even ready to adhere to the precepts?

Also, in finding enlightenment, you do not have to be Buddhist, I have met two people who I've considered to be enlightened (one of which is now dead), they were Christian. It's just that Buddhism is the easiest path. If you crave enlightenment, then chances are you shall fail, it is something you must await with patience.

So you have become a Buddhist to seek enlightenment, even though there are other ways. What makes Buddhism the easiest path? I ask because the Buddha himself said his path was the most difficult. Enlightenment requires patience, yes - but surely there is more to it than waiting?
12.03.2008 - 02:27
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
@Harmonic: you can follow the precepts, just not as commandments. you're looking at it from a very western mindset. in abstaining from drunkardness, you still follow the 5th precept, it doesn't mean quit altogether necessarily. Buddhism isn't about following commandments or a book like Christianity, it's about using the mind and using common sense / wisdom to help yourself through problems.

Personally, I turned Buddhist because, I have always admired The Buddha and agreed with the teachings, but just didn't jump into it right away because I had some misconceptions and was uncertain about some things. I put my trust in The Buddha's teachings to live a more satisfied and happier life, it's working great! , it's allowing me to see the true nature of things and encourages me to act more peaceful to other beings. Plus, I believe in Karma in terms of Samsara / reincarnation, so I want to become farther disattached from that within this current life. It is great to see how much good karma you can accumulate, pleasure does come from it.

Yes there is more to enlightenment than just waiting, of course! It requires being mindful and acting moral along with that. The Buddha himself did have a hard time, but it wasn't for the same reason that I mentioned. Enlightenment is not easy to achieve, but can be achieved by anyone, everyone is born with "Buddha Nature". I said Buddhism is the easiest path because, that way you are more mindful of the cycle of life, karma and enlightenment.......in Islam for instance, you are less mindful because those things are not much of a concept in that religion.
12.03.2008 - 09:17
FOOCK Nam

Written by Guest on 12.03.2008 at 02:27

Plus, I believe in Karma in terms of Samsara / reincarnation, so I want to become farther disattached from that within this current life. It is great to see how much good karma you can accumulate, pleasure does come from it.

Very good point. I would say that you are mentioning as living good virtuous to accumulate karma, or pleasure... maybe to get better next live. But compared to Friedrich Nietzsche, who also believe in Reincarnation, propose that the will of power would help man living stronger in each live he living currently or reborn. Hope you get what I mean. So, with the will of power based on Nietzsche man can live and bear all hardship... while Buddhism stimulate doing virtuous to have goo future/reborn/reincarnate live. I want to add a thing in these 2 philosophys: Nietzsche philosophy stimulates man can do what he wants or even negativly affect to other people, while Buddism philosophy emphasis a virtuous behaving. Following Buddhism you maybe always afraid of doing wrong or non virtuous, while Nietzsche's, you dont have to suffer that. I dont want to say which is better but I tend lean towards more Nietzsche's.
15.03.2008 - 04:55
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
@Jed: Thanks.

hmmm, never heard of Nietzsche until just now.
20.03.2008 - 00:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Just thinking into my seld and remeber that all eastern countries are safe, likek Vietnam, china, japan for forrener tourists , realybin china pople can feel safe and also those countries are so tolorant and open minded for christianity vhristains can feel safe there
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.03.2008 - 04:15
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
@K7: I'm sorry my friend, what you trying to say? In Buddhist countries it is safer? Well of course lol
23.03.2008 - 16:47
Pinusar
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 20.03.2008 at 00:01

Just thinking into my seld and remeber that all eastern countries are safe, likek Vietnam, china, japan for forrener tourists , realybin china pople can feel safe and also those countries are so tolorant and open minded for christianity vhristains can feel safe there

I don't know, as much as I've heard in China there's no freedom of speech and it is very totalitarian and also what about current news from Tibet.

Buddhism is probably one of the religions I respect the most, because of its striving for peace and maybe also calmness and independence. But anyway I'm rather skeptical of its more organized forms.
28.03.2008 - 15:57
Fuath

i recently bought a book, well two actually
the first, a book all about the current Dahli Llama, (i think its called a biography)
the second, was called why buddhism
i am finding both extremely great

can anyone reccomend me some other great books like these?
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

08.04.2008 - 16:51
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Written by Nox Lux on 09.03.2008 at 06:18

Extreme guys that are supposedly the highest order of monks literally feel they are achieving enlightenment by simply eradicating any possibility of exercising control - if you eradicate temptation entirely, then what's the fucking point in feeling so enlightened? you haven't done shit! If it's not there then you have not exercised your teachings or virtues - and at the same time you're cutting out a lot of what could be beautiful in life.

Nice read there , when people starts meditation all wrong things automatically drops , but those who forcefully do that in order to archive something is a bunch of greedy people , nothing else. and yeah someone who dont know how to enjoy normal life , the food the smell the tree the rain .... i doubt about his enlightenment.

08.04.2008 - 18:55
Warman
Erotic Stains
I don't have anything against Buddhism but I could never leave alcohol today, sometimes I just have to drink so much that I vomit, can't remember anything and can't walk!
----