Metal Storm logo
Opeth: Old vs New

Original post

Posted by , 13.01.2008 - 13:31
Blackwater Park was a turning point for Opeth. Their collaboration with Steve Wilson (Porcupine Tree) yielded a more polished, refined sound - and carried them from obscurity into the mainstream. Yet with the success of Blackwater Park, Opeth drifted away from the raw, edgy sound that characterized their early work and went so far as to produce a non-metal album (Damnation). So is Opeth heading in the right direction under the influence of Steve Wilson? Or is their old stuff superior, and they're just losing ground now?

My vote goes out to Opeth AFTER Blackwater Park. They're sophisticated, focused and ready to break new musical ground. Their original stuff was nothing more than a warm-up for the brilliant music that is now emerging. Am I wrong? Cast your vote and let me know!

Poll

When did Opeth produce better albums?

Before Blackwater Park
After Blackwater Park
Who cares, Opeth is overrated!
I don't know, can I vote anyway?

Total votes: 130
05.03.2009 - 05:27
sq_xeper

I respect your opinnion man, not everyone has to enjoy Opeth's music...Well, I voted "before blackwater park" although I like every Opeth's album, the earlier ones are masterpieces, specially the first three, they are incredible and in the old days the band wasnt as concern of popularity as right now, their music used to be more inspired and with lots of energy and new ideas, their message to the people was a lot more clear and they didnt like any other band 'cause other's music was not that great, in the older days the used to make covers to important bands (Iron Mariden, Celtic Frost) now they're covering bands like Alice in Chains, WTF!!!
Although Im still going to their concert on april 'cause Im sure its going to be awesome
----
The only way to learn is be aware and hold on tight...
25.03.2009 - 18:27
Andresopeth

I guess this poll must have an option like "Equaly good after and before Blackwater Park" becuase it is so, i voted "Before" because i feel more identificated with those albums besides, eventhough i listen to this band for the first time in 1998, the first one i listen was Orchid then Morningrise then My Arms Your Hearse and then i followed their releases, so in every album i found something different, something which makes it special that's why i like all Opeth's carrer and i think is equaly good.
26.03.2009 - 04:40
Wonderlost
Account deleted
I love every album except Watershad. I don't know, it's not bad, but for some reason I can't connect to it. Maybe with time?..
27.03.2009 - 23:55
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Guest on 26.03.2009 at 04:40

I love every album except Watershad. I don't know, it's not bad, but for some reason I can't connect to it. Maybe with time?..

It probably won't. I have the same problem as you, and no matter how many times I force-feed myself that album it just doesn't make much of an impression. Like you said, no bad, but just extremely forgettable.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
11.05.2009 - 18:48
symbolic727

Even though i like all of there albums Before Black Water Park are the true classics of there catalog.
11.05.2009 - 21:29
Land Of Doom

I Like The Oldest Albums

But In the new albums i like Deliverance Albums Its very wonderful
----
We Only Fear What Comes
And Smell Death Every Day
Search For The Answers That Lie Beyond
10.03.2012 - 18:25
Codera the Great
Account deleted
I really can't choose since I love everything they have ever put out period. I'm not like a huge cock-sucking fanboy or anything like that, I just find it difficult to really dislike anything in Opeth's discography. Everything from Orchid to Heritage has something extremely enjoyable to offer.
12.03.2012 - 01:15
Sentinel65

After Blackwater was an easy choice for me, I love both before and after, but after is much better in my opinion. The albums following Blackwater are masterpieces.
19.03.2012 - 03:26
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I'd say the break point should be with Still Life, not BWP. Those albums, together with Deliverance, have a rather similar style.
I prefer "After BWP" but include Still Life in that.
21.03.2012 - 08:09
Darkfiber

I'm going to say I don't know. A few years ago, I would have said their old stuff, hands down, no question. I used to hate their new stuff though I did like Blackwater Park. I'd say the turning point was more around Deliverance, but whatever. They changed their sound a lot over the years. Anyway, I've been getting into their last few albums more lately. In fact, I've been listening to their new stuff a lot more than their old stuff. I wouldn't say I like it better necessarily, it's just different and something new. There's a lot more to the new music than I had originally thought.
22.03.2012 - 04:27
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Everything before Blackwater Park (not including Blackwater Park).

Even still, I voted "overrated".
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.03.2012 - 12:40
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.03.2012 at 04:27
Everything before Blackwater Park (not including Blackwater Park).

Same for me although I do include Blackwater Park.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
25.03.2012 - 19:06
GoldenGod2112

Like other people have said before, there's just something about Watershed that is... I'm not sure. I still voted after BWP though, All their albums are great. Seeing them in April I hope they have a lot more albums to come.
07.09.2012 - 08:40
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I would have said before BWP in the past, now I would choose after BWP. You can't go wrong with albums like Damnation, Deliverance, and Watershed.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
08.09.2012 - 12:10
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
I love it all, but I voted "after" to balance out the votes.
----
10.09.2012 - 01:09
Void Eater
Account deleted
Still life is by far their best album, and very quickly rising to the ranks of my all time favorite albums, so before Blackwater gets my vote just because of that album/
10.09.2012 - 03:23
helofloki

They have evolved a lot over their entire existence. I basically like everything except their most recent album. There are soem songs on Watershed that rock. Ghost reveries was great. Their early stuff was great. Blackwater Park was great. Great band. Just don't like their new album. Everything else, I love the evolution.