Metal Storm logo
Orange Goblin

17.01.2008 - 16:00
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
It was a damn shame there hadn't been Orange Goblin thread. Well, now it's fixed.

This band has offered us loads of brilliant albums. From trippy "Time Travelling Blues" (I haven't heart "Frequencies...") to the latest, top-notch "Healing through Fire", Orange Goblin hasn't failed to impress. You could say they play stoner rock but there has to be made some qualifications - both "Coup de Grace" and "Thieving from the House of God" were more hard-rock oriented. Yet even those albums had definitely some stoner vibe, just listen to "Made of Rats", for example (which is also among my favorite songs from them), featuring the vocal master itself, John Garcia from Kyuss. The second qualification would be that, at least I've heard, the members themselves don't want their style to be called stoner because they associate themselves more with alcohol than weed. So I've heard that they call their style NWBHM which is pretty funny IMO.
Anyway, I love this band, both the music and the attitude - so much of my analysis.

So, any fans?
17.01.2008 - 16:10
Existenzangst
Account deleted
I heard one of their albums, don't remember which one it was a burned cd-r, but I liked it. Which one should I get first? I can't say that I'm into hard rock, but I love stoner.
17.01.2008 - 21:15
Richard

I've only got Orange Goblin's first 3 albums.. To Existenzangst, I would recommend the debut 'Freqencies From Planet Ten'. I think it's more melodic and more 'genuine' sounding, somehow, than most of the stuff that gets called 'stoner rock' - I'd prefer to just call it good rock music (interesting to read what uku said in his first post about how the band regards themselves).

Time Travelling Blues was also good, but a bit looser - apparently the drums were all recorded in one take or something - but still some good songs.
----
17.01.2008 - 23:30
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Huge fan here. I have all of their albums and it's really awesome to see that they've evolved in such an extraordinary fashion. Even though I really like the direction that they've taken, I'm a sucker for their first offering, Frequencies From The Planet Ten. It's something like Kyuss meet Sleep meet Blue Cheer meet Helluva lot of psychedelia and a lot of LOTR references dropped in. Top fucking notch.
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
09.04.2008 - 01:55
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
going to be picking up "Healing Through Fire" - heard it, it rocked, i must get it.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
10.04.2008 - 11:52
destroyah
supercharger
I actually got into Orange Goblin a few months ago, after an aquintance recommended the band. Seriously good stuff.

Haven't heard "Healing Through Fire" yet. I've been beating myself up for being so lazy.
----
About me:

"The best out of all the people ever" - Washington Post

"We abandoned Christ for Destroyah's love!" - The Watchtower

"Simply amazing!" - Rolling Stone
11.04.2008 - 12:26
owl

I started listening to Orange Goblin... yesterday. Started with Frequencies From Planet Ten and I'm now listening to Healing Through Fire.

They both rock, it's a nice sound to be playing while at work, but I don't think it's something I'd listen to regularly... Time will tell.
----
12.04.2008 - 05:59
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I first heard of this band through, yes, Electric Wizard. I actually like their former name, Our Haunted Kingdom, more, but the name matters little. I would agree with Richard that the band seems to be a lot closer to "regular" Rock than any form of Stoner, but there is obviously a strong Blues influence, and on a few of their last albums, even a Punk influence too. A good band all around.
----
The force will be with you, always.
13.04.2008 - 19:36
destroyah
supercharger
Got the new album. I don't know, it hasn't really hit me yet. Admitedly I've listened to it only once, so maybe it'll grow on me later, but I like "Frequencies..." better atm.
----
About me:

"The best out of all the people ever" - Washington Post

"We abandoned Christ for Destroyah's love!" - The Watchtower

"Simply amazing!" - Rolling Stone
06.04.2019 - 17:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
ORANGE GOBLIN TO TOUR USA!!

How's this for some exciting news to end the week? Orange Goblin are very happy to announce that we will return to the USA in August and September for a select few dates. This will be the bands first US tour in 5 years and we are bringing some awesome supports across various shows, including The Skull, Mothership, Wo Fat, Black Cobra and more to be confirmed.

Tickets go on sale today so get yours ASAP. Details as follows:

27 Aug - GRAMERCY THEATRE, NEW YORK CITY, NY
Tickets: https://livemu.sc/2G0Fzzl
Support: The Skull & 1 other (tbc)

29 Aug - THALIA HALL, CHICAGO, IL
Tickets: http://bit.ly/2K4fEKU
Support: The Skull & 1 other (tbc)

30 Aug - MUDDY ROOTS FESTIVAL, COOKEVILLE, TN
Tickets: http://bit.ly/2FQOZfc
Support: Festival Billing

31 Aug - GAS MONKEY, DALLAS, TX
Tickets: http://bit.ly/2Vo5B4I
Support: The Skull, Mothership & Wo Fat

01 Sep - COME & TAKE IT LIVE, AUSTIN, TX
Tickets: http://bit.ly/2Iabq1P
Support: The Skull & Mothership

02 Sep - REGENT THEATRE, LOS ANGELES, CA
Tickets: http://bit.ly/2YPQ14a
Support: Black Cobra & 1 other (tbc)

These will be the only US shows this year so if your town isn't on here, start planning your road trip!

Have a great weekend!
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.01.2020 - 19:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Orange Goblin
Yesterday at 10:38 ·
This day in Orange Goblin history two years ago the band began recording album #9 at Orgone Studios with Jaime Gomez Arellano (Grave Pleasures, Paradise Lost, Ghost, Cathedral etc..).
That album was The Wolf Bites Back.
What's your favourite songs on the album and how do you personally rate it?
----

apos;'
[image]
17.02.2020 - 15:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Orange Goblin will return to East Kent on Saturday 8th August 2020 to play a very intimate show at The Booking Hall, in Dover. Support at this show comes from the awesome Bossk! Tickets are £17.50 and go on sale this Wednesday 19th Feb at 10am,

----

apos;'
[image]