Metal Storm logo
Best Epic movie of recent years

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 17.01.2008 - 19:34
a very simple question, which one is the best of the recent epic historical/fantasy movies, with the good stuff, you know: huge armies, intensely brutal battle scenes, charismatic characters etc.

i didn't include LOTR because it would have won for sure, so out of the list i choose Kingdom of Heaven as it's the most authentic looking, with no scenes that looked at all fake and stuff, plus it's about one of my favourite subjects, the Crusades

also Braveheart was 13 years ago so don't vote for it

Poll

Which?

Gladiator
Kingdom of Heaven
Beowulf
Troy
Other
Alexander
Mongol
King Arthur

Total votes: 91
12.02.2011 - 17:34
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Valentin B on 12.02.2011 at 11:39

it was way more deeper than just "ah but fuck it, say that he died of a fever or whatever..", he knew that his ambitions were way more than just "let's conquer this shit and burn it to the ground", the guy had an incredible vision of uniting the races and nations of the world and trying to explain what he saw in him in mere words would have been pointless as no-one would have fully understood it anyway, so that's why he decides to just put it incredibly simple.

I will give you the benefit of doubt since I saw it only once at the cinema... When it was released so I was like 11 years old. You can't expect the my past-me would have get that part of the movie.

In other words.. I will watch it again after 7 years and I'llc ome back to you with fresh thoughts.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
12.02.2011 - 17:43
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.02.2011 at 17:34

Written by Valentin B on 12.02.2011 at 11:39

it was way more deeper than just "ah but fuck it, say that he died of a fever or whatever..", he knew that his ambitions were way more than just "let's conquer this shit and burn it to the ground", the guy had an incredible vision of uniting the races and nations of the world and trying to explain what he saw in him in mere words would have been pointless as no-one would have fully understood it anyway, so that's why he decides to just put it incredibly simple.

I will give you the benefit of doubt since I saw it only once at the cinema... When it was released so I was like 11 years old. You can't expect the my past-me would have get that part of the movie.

ah, well that explains it
23.03.2011 - 04:22
Yasmine
300 Lawl, greeks jumping around like ninjas in 90+lbs of armor.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
01.04.2011 - 04:46
Icarus
!PROSLACKER!
Gladiator I never really enjoyed, i find russell crowe really cocky even in his acting, and I always remember Frenzal Rhomb's song lol.. Anyways Ive always liked kingdom of heaven, cause it also has the religion thing going, and I find Orlando Bloom although a gayer actor (lol at this) more belivable! In fact i need to see this one again
----
-At live's eve our flames will cease-
01.04.2011 - 05:06
Yasmine
Not sure what a "gayer actor" is but i liked Kingdom a ton.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
01.04.2011 - 05:11
Webimpulse
Out of that list (which is sort of a narrow list if you ask me, but sometimes you have to narrow it down), I'd have to say 300. Not because I think it's historically accurate or anything like that, but rather it presents history in a way that gets people interested. That was the purpose of the movie, according to the filmmakers. If people were constantly thinking "is this accurate" throughout the movie it would mean they were bored. So it's more of a vehicle to spark interest in studying history, rather than trying to present something as gospel truth.

Plus, I just can't stop laughing at Gerard Butler's most famous line ever. You know the one?
01.04.2011 - 20:13
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Lord Of The Rings

How is this not up there?
02.04.2011 - 02:26
Yasmine
If turning homosexual Greek Hopilites into ninjas, lying in fact, is a way to get people interested in history then the said society should lay down and die.
----
03.04.2011 - 01:30
Thrashette
I vote Gladiator... Most of the other movies on there are just mediocre or a little above average. The others are ones I either haven't seen or don't remember seeing (which means they couldn't have been that special). Beowulf and 300 kind of disappointed me since I felt that they didn't live up to all the hype they got... The only ones on that list I'm 100% sure I haven't seen are Kingdom of Heaven and Mongol
03.04.2011 - 02:16
Yasmine
Kingdom is petty damn good, Mongol isn't all too good imo. Gladiator is a good story, based on historical event that would've actually been even better without the goofy ass romance garbage. (I know that sounds odd coming from me, but there's a place for that in some movies, and imo not in this one). As the romance did not exist in actuality.

300 made me wanna kick people in the nuts.
----