03. Troglodyte
04. The Hunter
05. Maryland Winter
06. The Onkh
07. Urban Plight
08. Melmoth
09. The Oath

Label: PsycheDOOMelic Records

Of the latest batch of albums for me to review, Leather Nun appealed to me the least. The rather stupid band name, the generic logo and the very ugly cover art are responsible for the fact that I almost disregarded this album without even listening to it. However, promises made are promises to be kept, so I had to listen to it at least once to be able to review it. And boy, was I mistaken!

From the very first Sabbath-inspired riff -Leather Nun is obviously proud of their influences- and the following "fuck yeah!" they are grooving to the max. Heavy, doom-laden but catchy guitarwork and ditto bass create a great oldschool feeling. The vocals are sometimes very reminiscent of Ozzy, though a little warmer, but with the same "whiney" tone to it that Ozzy often utilized on the Black Sabbath self-titled debut. Actually, pretty much everything on this album breathes Oldschool with a capital "O", from the aforementioned stringwork and vocals to the fuzzy, demo-like production. All of this has of course been done at least a million times before, and the mighty Sabbath have of course done it much better, but that has not prevented me from giving this album a couple of spins. And if you have a bit of cash left, it shouldn't prevent you either. The only downside is that it is a rather short album, as it is but a mere thirty-five minutes, so you should keep that in mind when you come across this is in your cd-store.

So the lesson of today, boys and girls, is that you should never judge a book by its cover. Or rather, in this case, a band by its name or an album by its cover art. Good things may be coming from a place where you least expect them to come from. This time it was San Diego, California.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 7

Written on 20.01.2008 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 13 users
22.01.2008 - 20:24
destroyah
supercharger
Ok, this I will be checking out. Yes yes, i know - Sabbathish. But still

And San Diego isn't that surprising of a source - California loves groove!
----
About me:

"The best out of all the people ever" - Washington Post

"We abandoned Christ for Destroyah's love!" - The Watchtower

"Simply amazing!" - Rolling Stone
22.03.2008 - 16:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Very nice album. I would rate it half a point higher though. But that probably has to do with my love for this sort of doom (also see comment left in Dreaming review)

But yeah it was surprisng to see that this band hails from San Diego. I would expect such a band to come from the Maryland area. LOL
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.03.2008 - 16:07
Rating: 6
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Marcel, I didn't get that last comment. I was merely stating the place where they came from, not that I find San Diego an unusual place to come from as a Doom band.

As a matter of fact, I do not even know where San Diego lies or what sort of scene it has.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
22.03.2008 - 16:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Lucas on 22.03.2008 at 16:07

Marcel, I didn't get that last comment. I was merely stating the place where they came from, not that I find San Diego an unusual place to come from as a Doom band.

As a matter of fact, I do not even know where San Diego lies or what sort of scene it has.

well quoting your review you said:

Quote:
Good things may be coming from a place where you least expect them to come from. This time it was San Diego, California.

And I then mentioned Maryland because the Maryland area is renowned for harbouring a lot of doom bands that play this style :-)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.03.2008 - 21:07
Rating: 6
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Oh shit, didn't even know I wrote that.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
04.03.2009 - 20:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Guess what I found out today...
John Sarnie (guitars/vocals) is originally from the Maryland area and moved to San Diego.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 3654 | This month: 15