Metal Storm logo
High On Fire

Original post

Posted by Clintagräm, 10.06.2006 - 20:52
High on Fire was born after the unfortunate break-up of the legendary Sleep. While Al Cisneros and Chris Hakius went on to form the Stoner/Doom band Om, Matt Pike went on to form the fury that is High on Fire. Make no mistake, I made this topic in the Extreme Metal Forum for a reason, because above all else, that is what they are; extreme. I have read a description of the band as "a modern day incarnate of Dante's Inferno" and I think that is rightfully so. The music the band creates is so brutal it's amazing. At times this band is heavier, faster, and more devastating than most Death and Thrash acts that I have heard. I think it would be safe to say that High on Fire is in a league of their own, and have almost created an exclusive genre for themselves. I don't even want to try and label them, because it seems like it would be an attempt to contain them, and by listening to their music, that's not possible. If anything though, they are some type of Extreme Doom Metal. I am much more familiar with 'Blessed Black Wings' than I am their first two albums, but I really enjoy everything I have had the chance to hear from this band.

Any fans?

(By the way, I love how Matt Pike sounds like an even more extreme version of Lemmy when he wails. Wicked shit. )
17.03.2008 - 22:46
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by mankvill on 07.12.2007 at 23:09

This band is coming in town. I've only heard a little bit, but I like it. Should I go?

Written by mankvill on 17.03.2008 at 22:35

"Rumors of War" is fantastic live.

Do we have a converted fan here?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
18.03.2008 - 07:06
mankvill

Written by Doc G. on 17.03.2008 at 22:46

Written by mankvill on 07.12.2007 at 23:09

This band is coming in town. I've only heard a little bit, but I like it. Should I go?

Written by mankvill on 17.03.2008 at 22:35

"Rumors of War" is fantastic live.

Do we have a converted fan here?
Oh, absolutely. That man can shred.
19.03.2008 - 08:07
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Man every time I listen to "Death..." I like it more and more, Im glad I wrote my review for it when I did, if I tried to write it now I'd probably end up being very non objective in it. Just as Ive considered writing a review for SBT but doubt I could look at it from a non partial point of view. Damn. 'Ethereal' Might just be my new favorite song off the new album....or maybe 'Rumours Of War'...or 'Death Is This Communion'...wait, maybe 'Fury Whip'.. or possibly 'Waste Of Tiamat'?....Oh hell I cant decide.
----
- George Carlin
09.04.2008 - 02:01
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Fuck! I just found out High On Fire is opening Gigantour, so theres no way I can show up late and skip Job For A Cowboys set. God I hate that band.
----
- George Carlin
09.04.2008 - 02:38
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
you could always hit the Beer Garden...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
09.04.2008 - 05:49
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
@BitterCOld
Yeah, but I couldve saved my money though, I also need to get drunk during In Flames crap spewing all over the stage. Damn, this sucks, from what I hear HoF used to tour here all the time. And Ive already had to sit through a JFAC set, it was terrible enough the first time....
----
- George Carlin
09.04.2008 - 22:35
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Doc G. on 09.04.2008 at 05:49

@BitterCOld
Yeah, but I couldve saved my money though, I also need to get drunk during In Flames crap spewing all over the stage. Damn, this sucks, from what I hear HoF used to tour here all the time. And Ive already had to sit through a JFAC set, it was terrible enough the first time....

they got called up to the big leagues by MegaDave. You could save your coin and catch them at a later date. I'm sure they will be back touring smaller venues in North America after Gigantour ends.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
09.04.2008 - 23:29
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by BitterCOld on 09.04.2008 at 22:35

@BitterCOld

they got called up to the big leagues by MegaDave. You could save your coin and catch them at a later date. I'm sure they will be back touring smaller venues in North America after Gigantour ends.

I sure hope so, I dont see it happening soon, anything the least bit obscure doesn't really tour here, we had Watain on there first NA gig, hopefully that will be a sign of things to come....
----
- George Carlin
10.04.2008 - 00:46
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Doc G. on 09.04.2008 at 23:29

@BitterCOld

I sure hope so, I dont see it happening soon, anything the least bit obscure doesn't really tour here, we had Watain on there first NA gig, hopefully that will be a sign of things to come....

"First NA gig" - lol. You got the 'tune up' date. We've had a few bands use us as the tune-up gig in the past. Most notably we got Slayer kicking off their "Divine InTourvention" tour.
----

10.04.2008 - 00:50
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by BitterCOld on 10.04.2008 at 00:46

Written by Doc G. on 09.04.2008 at 23:29

@BitterCOld

"First NA gig" - lol. You got the 'tune up' date. We've had a few bands use us as the tune-up gig in the past. Most notably we got Slayer kicking off their "Divine InTourvention" tour.

Well, either way it wasn't bad for a tune-up gig. But were getting off topic here, long story short, my town isn't into any off-the-wall type music, they all love their Bodom and Norther and Ensiferum and a lot of melodeath, no one here is into doom or sludge or stoner metal at all, hell, other than Maiden, I'm the only one here under the age of 25 whos into classic metal, thats how bad this town is.
----
- George Carlin
22.05.2008 - 04:57
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
@BitterCOld
You might be a little jealous, but at Gigantour I got to meet Matt Pike, I met him before the show behind the venue and we talked about the new album, and he told me how fucking depressing seattle is. Afterwards I was regretful I didn't get him to sign anything for me, but luckily he was hanging out at the merch stand during In Flames set, there was no line-up or anything because half the audience was a bunch of 15 year old scenesters who came for Bodom and In Flames, and heard quite a few of them describe High On Fire as "The worst band theyd ever heard", even though they played an awesome (although far too short) set. Got him to sign my ticket. But yeah, hes a really nice guy. Now Im regretful I didn't get a picture with him.
----
- George Carlin
22.05.2008 - 09:11
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Doc G. on 22.05.2008 at 04:57

...Now Im regretful I didn't get a picture with him.

Now Milton, don't be greedy. Regardless, cool story man. I'd like to see them one day live. Nothing like meeting the musicians.
----
The force will be with you, always.
23.05.2008 - 20:49
Gordon Freeman

So when are we going to get some kind of stoner/sludge fest in his country? Is there a petition we can sign or something.

If I could get High on Fire, Neurosis, Goatsblood and Electric Wizard all on one stage I'd pretty much die on the spot.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
24.05.2008 - 22:27
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Gordon Freeman on 23.05.2008 at 20:49

So when are we going to get some kind of stoner/sludge fest in his country? Is there a petition we can sign or something.

If I could get High on Fire, Neurosis, Goatsblood and Electric Wizard all on one stage I'd pretty much die on the spot.

Well Matt Pike told me that hes been talking to Phil Anselmo from Down, hopefully that will turn into something. As far as a full blown festival, I doubt it, or nothing on a major scale anyways, I dont think theres a concentrated enough fanbase to be able to break even.
----
- George Carlin
25.05.2008 - 03:59
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Doc G. on 24.05.2008 at 22:27

Well Matt Pike told me that hes been talking to Phil Anselmo from Down, hopefully that will turn into something. As far as a full blown festival, I doubt it, or nothing on a major scale anyways, I dont think theres a concentrated enough fanbase to be able to break even.

Interesting. I'd see High on Fire with Down. Maybe some Soilent Green thrown in there for good measure. I think I'd probably prefer Crowbar to Down though. Maybe.
----
The force will be with you, always.
26.05.2008 - 01:22
Gordon Freeman

You might be surprised. Add a couple of well known mainstream bands like Mastodon and Down and you could probably attract quite a few people.

Anways, to stay on topic...

I just bought Death is the Communion about a month or so ago and yeah, it's probably getting more rotations in the old stereo the most of my collection right now. That may change soon if the Overlorde album I ordered ever freaking gets here...
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

26.05.2008 - 06:21
BitterCOld
The Ancient One

@BitterCOld
You might be a little jealous, but at Gigantour I got to meet Matt Pike, I met him before the show behind the venue and we talked about the new album, and he told me how fucking depressing seattle is. Afterwards I was regretful I didn't get him to sign anything for me, but luckily he was hanging out at the merch stand during In Flames set, there was no line-up or anything because half the audience was a bunch of 15 year old scenesters who came for Bodom and In Flames, and heard quite a few of them describe High On Fire as "The worst band theyd ever heard", even though they played an awesome (although far too short) set. Got him to sign my ticket. But yeah, hes a really nice guy. Now Im regretful I didn't get a picture with him.

I am a bit jealous. was hoping he might hang out at the bar after the Tucson show, didn't happen.
----

27.05.2008 - 21:29
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Clintagräm on 25.05.2008 at 03:59

Interesting. I'd see High on Fire with Down. Maybe some Soilent Green thrown in there for good measure. I think I'd probably prefer Crowbar to Down though. Maybe.

Yeah, well I think Down is getting quite a bit of attention right now, for me that just seems like the perfect match up.
----
- George Carlin
27.05.2008 - 21:32
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by BitterCOld on 26.05.2008 at 06:21

@BitterCOld

I am a bit jealous. was hoping he might hang out at the bar after the Tucson show, didn't happen.

Like I said, its a bit of a shame no one liked HoF at Gigantour, the only other people I saw talking to him were 40 year olds wearing Slayer tshirts that look like they havnt been washed once since the 80s, guess that crowd appreciated them because of their Motorhead similarities.
----
- George Carlin
27.05.2008 - 23:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Doc G. on 27.05.2008 at 21:32

@BitterCOld

Like I said, its a bit of a shame no one liked HoF at Gigantour, the only other people I saw talking to him were 40 year olds wearing Slayer tshirts that look like they havnt been washed once since the 80s, guess that crowd appreciated them because of their Motorhead similarities.

It's just a fact that the tastes in metal of us 40-year-old is better than most of the kids attending Gigantour
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.05.2008 - 00:03
Gordon Freeman

@BitterCOld

I'm not the only Arizona resident on this site? Cool...
----

29.05.2008 - 21:03
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.05.2008 at 23:52

Written by Doc G. on 27.05.2008 at 21:32

@BitterCOld

It's just a fact that the tastes in metal of us 40-year-old is better than most of the kids attending Gigantour

As much as I hate to say it, yes, my generation sucks. For the most part.
----
- George Carlin
29.05.2008 - 22:39
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
damned whippersnappers with their fast food metal! why, when i was your age i had to walk 15miles to see my metal shows, barefoot, in the snow, uphill - BOTH ways! damned kids these days. don't appreciate nothing!

get the hell off my lawn!

(shakes cane wildly)
----

19.06.2008 - 23:02
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Finally got The Art Of Self Defense! I thought it would be the rawest of the bunch, but after a few listens I found its at about the same sound quality as SBT, maybe with quieter vocals. But overall I found the song structure to be far more accessible.
----
- George Carlin
23.06.2008 - 09:11
Cocacolacowboy
Account deleted
as much as i like these guys,i wish Sleep would reform
15.10.2008 - 04:48
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
@Marcel
I noticed "Live At Contamination Festival" was on your wishlist, its on mine too, I see it on ebay for 99 cents, its probably a scam though, theres only 2000 of those printed, theres no way it would be going for only 99 cents.
----
- George Carlin
15.10.2008 - 17:56
thesabbathfan

I discovered them at Gigantour 2, amazing stuff. REALLY heavy man.
----
15.10.2008 - 19:25
Branzig

I've never even listened to a single song by these guys, but there is such a huge hype around them it is ridiculous. I guess I am going to have to check them out.

Suggestions for a good introduction album?
----
In Grind We Crust
15.10.2008 - 19:29
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Branzig on 15.10.2008 at 19:25

I've never even listened to a single song by these guys, but there is such a huge hype around them it is ridiculous. I guess I am going to have to check them out.

Their latest, "Death Is This Communion" (the cover I have as my Avatar), is probably what I consider the best. of their 4. I could sit here describing it to you but I did write a nice little review that describes the music so I don't have to type out descriptions again, you should definitely read that if you want idea of what your getting.
----
- George Carlin
15.10.2008 - 19:34
Branzig

Written by Doc G. on 15.10.2008 at 19:29

Written by Branzig on 15.10.2008 at 19:25

Their latest, "Death Is This Communion" (the cover I have as my Avatar), is probably what I consider the best. of their 4. I could sit here describing it to you but I did write a nice little review that describes the music so I don't have to type out descriptions again, you should definitely read that if you want idea of what your getting.

Naw, I'll just grab that album and let my ears do the walking. That is the album that they seemed to break through with and that has been giving them so much cred. I'll just pick it up after work tonight. They have so much hype right now it can't be terrible. And hey, if it is, I just invested in a 16 dollar coaster hahaha. But like I said, I'm sure I won't be let down.

Thanks.
----
In Grind We Crust