Metal Storm logo
High On Fire

Original post

Posted by Clintagräm, 10.06.2006 - 20:52
High on Fire was born after the unfortunate break-up of the legendary Sleep. While Al Cisneros and Chris Hakius went on to form the Stoner/Doom band Om, Matt Pike went on to form the fury that is High on Fire. Make no mistake, I made this topic in the Extreme Metal Forum for a reason, because above all else, that is what they are; extreme. I have read a description of the band as "a modern day incarnate of Dante's Inferno" and I think that is rightfully so. The music the band creates is so brutal it's amazing. At times this band is heavier, faster, and more devastating than most Death and Thrash acts that I have heard. I think it would be safe to say that High on Fire is in a league of their own, and have almost created an exclusive genre for themselves. I don't even want to try and label them, because it seems like it would be an attempt to contain them, and by listening to their music, that's not possible. If anything though, they are some type of Extreme Doom Metal. I am much more familiar with 'Blessed Black Wings' than I am their first two albums, but I really enjoy everything I have had the chance to hear from this band.

Any fans?

(By the way, I love how Matt Pike sounds like an even more extreme version of Lemmy when he wails. Wicked shit. )
15.10.2008 - 19:39
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Branzig on 15.10.2008 at 19:34

Naw, I'll just grab that album and let my ears do the walking. That is the album that they seemed to break through with and that has been giving them so much cred. I'll just pick it up after work tonight. They have so much hype right now it can't be terrible. And hey, if it is, I just invested in a 16 dollar coaster hahaha. But like I said, I'm sure I won't be let down.

Thanks.

I just noticed Cathedral was on your favorite bands list, so yeah, you won't be disappointed at all.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
18.10.2008 - 20:29
Branzig
Just an update, I bought Death is this communion, really good stuff, I'm pleased. I've decided I am going to check out the rest of their catalog as well.
----
In Grind We Crust
17.11.2008 - 03:26
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 23.06.2008 at 09:11

as much as i like these guys,i wish Sleep would reform

Actually I was at a nice little independent record store today buying Sleep's "Dopesmoker" and the store clerk was telling me they are reuniting for a few select dates this upcoming summer, if its true I hope they stop by here...Unfortunatel the guy also told me they would only be playing stuff from Holy Mountain.
----
- George Carlin
17.11.2008 - 06:04
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Well, "Dopesmoker" would pretty much be a 1 song gig otherwise!
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.11.2008 - 11:13
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 17.11.2008 at 06:04

Well, "Dopesmoker" would pretty much be a 1 song gig otherwise!

Yeah, and I imagine after Matt Pike playing some pretty high speed material (well, at least in relativety to Sleep), playing 1 song with a fairly slow tempo for an hour would get kinda boring to play.
----
- George Carlin
21.11.2008 - 08:14
TheVonBraun
Account deleted
Pretty good stuff- good stoner music hahah.

fav song: "Fury Whip"
26.11.2008 - 17:52
Luciferion
Decent Band, saw them open for Opeth, was definetly the highlight of the night (not an opeth fan at all). I have seen them live before, but they realy didn't stick out too much. After seeing them open for Opeth definetly I have been seeing them in a new light, and started to listen to them more and more.

A great band to check out, and a great listen if your in teh proper mood.
----
Fear makes the wolf bigger than he is, and I am the wolf that hunts you.
27.11.2008 - 01:21
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Luciferion on 26.11.2008 at 17:52

Decent Band, saw them open for Opeth, was definetly the highlight of the night (not an opeth fan at all). I have seen them live before, but they realy didn't stick out too much. After seeing them open for Opeth definetly I have been seeing them in a new light, and started to listen to them more and more.

A great band to check out, and a great listen if your in teh proper mood.

I was tempted to Greyhound up to Edmonton to see that show. Nachtmystium would have been cool to see. But seeing as I'd already seen HoF already and Opeth twice, it wasn't exactly the most financially wise thing. Though I am dying to see HoF put on a longer set then when I saw them.
----
- George Carlin
27.11.2008 - 01:24
Luciferion
Their set was pretty short, maybe 30-45mins if i can recall, biggest thing i remember was all through Opeth i was like, maybe opeth will fall asleep listening to their own shit thne HoF can come on and make this concert enjoyable again. heh
----
27.11.2008 - 01:28
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Lol. Yeah I saw them at gigantour, they only had like a 5 or 6 song set, weak.
----
- George Carlin
27.11.2008 - 01:49
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Weird, when I saw them with Opeth they got an hour on stage. They put on a very good set too. The only songs they didn't play that I wanted them to was Blessed Black Wings and Return To NOD
----
Coldgrits
27.11.2008 - 17:27
Luciferion
Written by Doc G. on 27.11.2008 at 01:28

What year where they with gigantour. I ahve been at both that were in Edmonton and for some reason i don't remmebr there name coming up.
----
27.11.2008 - 20:36
IllNiñoSweden
This band has one of the best drummer in the world, in my opinion.
28.11.2008 - 06:21
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Luciferion on 27.11.2008 at 17:27

What year where they with gigantour. I ahve been at both that were in Edmonton and for some reason i don't remmebr there name coming up.

The latest one (in May I believe), with Blowjob For A Cowboy, In Flames, and Children Of Bodom.
----
- George Carlin
28.11.2008 - 17:09
Luciferion
Written by Doc G. on 28.11.2008 at 06:21

Written by Luciferion on 27.11.2008 at 17:27

The latest one (in May I believe), with Blowjob For A Cowboy , In Flames, and Children Of Bodom.

Hahaha, thats good. Yah i was there i don't udnerstand why i have absolutely no recollection of them playing... guess i musta been wasted heh.
----
30.11.2008 - 18:40
Insects Of Death
Account deleted
Is this album any good i mean i've never heard of them but hell im willing to try a new band.
30.11.2008 - 23:43
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
@Insects of Death... If your talking about Death is this Communion, I'd say it is. If you don't know what they sound like at all its a good idea to hear a few songs first. The vocals are a bit different so you may need to hear them first
----
Coldgrits
01.12.2008 - 02:19
Insects Of Death
Account deleted
Written by -DC-002- on 30.11.2008 at 23:43

@Insects of Death... If your talking about Death is this Communion, I'd say it is. If you don't know what they sound like at all its a good idea to hear a few songs first. The vocals are a bit different so you may need to hear them first

thanks for the info i'll check them out right now
07.01.2010 - 18:32
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qkb8ckVfhI - Matt Pike on Full Metal Jackie.

New album, Snakes For The Divine is due out February 23rd.

/m/
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
08.01.2010 - 21:51
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by BitterCOld on 07.01.2010 at 18:32

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qkb8ckVfhI - Matt Pike on Full Metal Jackie.

New album, Snakes For The Divine is due out February 23rd.

/m/

A mixture of Thrash and 70s era Priest? That could be very interesting. I'm looking forward to hearing some samples.
----
The force will be with you, always.
10.04.2010 - 21:29
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
I hate that the drummer now how has two bass drums. Except for Frost Hammer, I think it pretty much ruined the drum sound on the new album.
10.04.2010 - 22:10
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by bloodwrage on 10.04.2010 at 21:29

I hate that the drummer now how has two bass drums. Except for Frost Hammer, I think it pretty much ruined the drum sound on the new album.

There's double-bass drumming in the previous albums...
----
- George Carlin
12.04.2010 - 04:12
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Was just listening to "Death is this communion" on my way home. Gotta say it's grew on me quite a lot compared to a month and a half ago when i first listened to it
----
loves 小巫
01.06.2010 - 12:58
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt

Dear Matt Pike,

Please brush your teeth.

Love,

Dangerboner
22.06.2010 - 07:53
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Dear God...where did that picture come from?
----
- George Carlin
22.06.2010 - 08:05
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Just google. Actually, there's an even more hideous picture of him floating around somewhere with the most fucked up-looking teeth I've ever seen, but I can't find it.
22.06.2010 - 08:25
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Thank God he's a semi-famous musician, or he'd probably never get laid.
----
- George Carlin
24.06.2010 - 08:45
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Written by Doc G. on 10.04.2010 at 22:10

Written by bloodwrage on 10.04.2010 at 21:29

There's double-bass drumming in the previous albums...

I haven't seen him with the double bass, or heard it.

Anybody see the new single, by the way? It was pretty good.
01.02.2011 - 02:11
Axe Argonian
I recently decided to check out High on Fire, and damn, I must admit that I am impressed by their brutal speed and intense ferocity. Calling them Motorhead 2.0 would not be exaggerated at all.
----
"Man does at all times only what he wills, and yet he does this necessarily. But this is because he already is what he wills." - Arthur Schopenhauer
05.02.2011 - 23:34
Kevorkian
Matt Pike is one of the ugliest metal dudes out there, but he writes great music, so I can't hate.