09. The Things You Want
10. Gravity
11. Save Yourself
12. Hard To Say Goodbye
13. Hard To Say Goodbye Reprise

Style: Rock
Web: www.thelimitmusic.com
www.myspace.com/thelimit

Having a quite nice album cover and a very interesting title, 'Reinventing The Sun' is the new output of The Limit; a three-piece rock band from New Haven, Connecticut, USA. I had never heard of this band before, but then again I am not exactly a veteran of rock music, so that doesn't say too much. Yet the first song on this CD, 'House Of Sand', already had me completely hooked. The Limit plays a "mature" (like mature wine, not like old bread) and "American" type of rock music. Apart from being on a high technical level their music also packs a lot of power and has it's own and unmistakable sound. The drumming is pretty nice and rich in variation; it is not limited to a steady beat-provider as in many rock bands, but ads to the richness of the music with it's playful character. The guitar is also used in a lot of different ways, which is never a bad thing either. Further I have the impression that the bass guitar is quite dominant on this CD; it adds a lot to the recognizable sound of The Limit and sounds really good in my opinion. The vocalist stays pretty similar throughout the whole album, this isn't as bad as it sounds though, because I can assure you that it fits pretty well.

One thing that bothers me a bit about Reinventing The Sun is the same problem that I have with just about all rock CDs I've listened to. The way I see it, metal albums are often entities for me, sure some songs are a bit better, others a little bit less, but they all stick together and should be listened to as a unit. In rock music however there are often a lot of good songs and totally forgettable songs on the same CD. This phenomenon shows pretty clearly on this album. Some songs like 'House Of Sand', 'Closer', Gravity' and 'Best Thing' are nothing less of potential big hits in the rock scene. Other tracks like 'Save Yourself' however are forgotten only a few seconds after they finished. I have to say though that the good, no, great, moments of The Limit are fully worth the forgettable moments, and they are much more common as well!

The CD also has a few special twists. For example there is an acoustic guitar on some songs like 'Time Can't Keep Me' (another great one by the way) and the instrumental 'Mother Maria' while other songs have guitar parts that sound almost exactly like Iron Maiden! ('Hard To Say Goodbye', 'Sky Walker')

I think it is safe to say that many rock fans won't only like 'Reinventing The Sun', but will simply love it, some might even worship it! Well maybe not worship it, but let's face it, it sounds interesting, it's technically quite good, it has some variation and it has interesting twists to it, add that the music is catchy and even the album title is very interesting. Despite all the praise I also have to mention this though; many fans of the current, younger-sounding or "fresher" generation of rock might be turned off by it. It isn't exactly old school, but it has a "classic air" if you get my point. If you're lucky this won't only be exactly your kind of thing, but it will be very good for your kind of thing as well! If you're unlucky though, you'll listen to it, maybe even admit that it's not badly played, but you won't "feel" any different.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 7
Production: 7

Written by Bas | 24.01.2008

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 44 users
25.01.2008 - 00:02
Thryce
Retired Staff
* comments *

No but seriously, I had never heard of this band before either. But you made me curious by your accurate and to-the-point review. Will surely check this band and album out. Thanks for the recommendation on beforehand!
----
Your favorite band sucks.
26.01.2008 - 08:36
Bararey
Winter is Coming
So who do they sound like?
----
"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Ser Jorah Mormont
29.01.2008 - 11:14
Rating: 6
Bas
Retired Staff
Written by Thryce on 25.01.2008 at 00:02

* comments *

No but seriously, I had never heard of this band before either. But you made me curious by your accurate and to-the-point review. Will surely check this band and album out. Thanks for the recommendation on beforehand!

thanks for the comment
sooo... did you check em yet? what do you think?
Written by Bararey on 26.01.2008 at 08:36

So who do they sound like?

well like i wrote in the review, there are some guitar lines which sound like straight from an iron maiden song, apart from that i'm the wrong person to ask, im not too fond of comparing bands too much and like i mentioned in my review 'm not a rock expert either, i can try to tell you how they sound but not who they sound like, listen for yourself
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
29.01.2008 - 14:48
Bararey
Winter is Coming
Written by Bas on 29.01.2008 at 11:14

listen for yourself

tut tut tut,, little help you've been
----
"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Ser Jorah Mormont
09.02.2008 - 18:07
Thryce
Retired Staff
Written by Bas on 29.01.2008 at 11:14

sooo... did you check em yet? what do you think?

Yep, I checked them out.
They're pretty good. Quite average to me, though still very interesting and appealing. The kind of Rock-music you can always listen to, which is always nice. And exactly the kind of band you definitely want to see perform on a Saturday night at your local pub (this is meant as a compliment of course). Though, I'm not going wild with excitement either. But then again, I'm not too much into Rock these days. But they sure are ten times better than the so-called commercial Rock music (which you mention in your review too) that I hear on the alternative radio station...
Had a great listen!

BTW: they kind of messed things up when announcing your review on their MySpace. Look for yourself.
----
Your favorite band sucks.

Hits total: 3754 | This month: 5